( search forums )
Immediate Jet Discharge
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Keron Cyst
December 1, 2005, 6:00 am
Don't flame me! I just thought of this while I was delirious from a nasty stomach 'flu on Nov. 29. I don't expect this to ever be implemented - just a thought.

Basically, let there be a key combo (kinda like backflip) which lets you waste off all your current jet fuel and use it at once and send you flying in the appropriate direction (vertical or diagonal - that includes prone). The more fuel the map has (e.g. ctf_Voland > ctf_b2b) the faster you fly, but you don't have to be at full fuel to discharge.

Feeling stoopid today & can't picture what I'm trying to describe? Think M79-jump with all your jet fuel instead of a grenade.

Vijchtidoodah
December 1, 2005, 6:40 am
Great idea, I've always wanted to be able to do a quick little boost either for evasion or whatever.

Echo_Trail
December 1, 2005, 6:59 am
YEah, agreed!.. The only thing soldat lacks of, is way to dodge! I support this!
Also, it'd look really pro'!

numgun
December 1, 2005, 8:05 am
yes! i <3 it!!!1

m00`
December 1, 2005, 8:29 am
this will be even more annoying than m79 jumping, no ty

numgun
December 1, 2005, 9:56 am
huh? why not? besides, u will have to wait for ur jets to reload that u could use em again = will not be over used ^^

m00`
December 1, 2005, 10:03 am
yes it will, it will also be incredibly annoying when people get the flag and fly in to the air

numgun
December 1, 2005, 10:13 am
um... but thats fun! more action! and cool pursuits... think again! =D

Tybs
December 1, 2005, 10:17 am
This sounds a bit like the second-jet suggestion from yuth... i still like it though :D. And i dont think it would be that overpowered in CTF... of course it depends on what speed is given to the jetter, but i think that it will still be possible to kill the EFC in time. Besides, every player can use this, so also every defender... imagine u run off with the flag and suddenly get surrounded by 5 enemies... pwnage :P

Captain Ben
December 1, 2005, 2:32 pm
I'd only agree to this if while using all of your jets and boosting amazingly fast, if you get hit by anything or touch a poly, you should die instantly.

FliesLikeABrick
December 1, 2005, 3:22 pm
i don't support this for a couple reasons:
1) gameplay is already quickly paced, we really don't need to have people zipping around from the push of a button
2) combined with an m79 jump, this would make it far too easy for people to get on the roof of many, many maps that are in use today. It'd cause a lot of problems in gameplay

Deleted User
December 1, 2005, 4:27 pm
No!

I allready hate the m79 jump, and now this?!?!?

Keron Cyst
December 1, 2005, 8:10 pm
lol.

Those are the exact responses I was thinking would shoot this down...

GluLm
December 1, 2005, 8:14 pm
Whatever, I like your idea.
It shouldn't be too powerful though, otherwhise it will be too annoying for some people as it's new... see what I mean?

Stern
December 2, 2005, 4:15 am
It's a great idea. For those of us who play realistic mode, it would be a pain because you wouldn't be able to survive if you didn't have enought jet fuel to slow down. Maybe if you did this in normal mode you would have to slow down before hitting something (like Captain Ben suggested), like you do in realistic mode.

Tybs
December 2, 2005, 9:15 am
Indeed... when using this, there should be a relatively high chance of smashing into a wall if ur not careful.

EDIT: How about u can only use this if u are unarmed or only have a secondary weapon? This would make sense, for every primary weapon is probably quite heavy compared to the secondaries... well, except for the LAW, that is.

Chakra`
December 2, 2005, 9:48 am
I think it's a fun idea, if the distance travelled was short. Not anything like an m79 boost.

Like the backflip, a sudden - though short - change of speed or direction can really save your ass.

December 2, 2005, 11:24 am
117 supports this idea.

Quick maneuver, left!

But we should have a 1 or 1/2 second wait time before it recharges

Keron Cyst
December 2, 2005, 6:13 pm
No, not an M79 boost.

Why not just the exact opposite of the fastest fall speed? In other words if you've been falling for a while and you jet just before you hit the ground you completely cancel all fall speed, and it only uses up enough jet fuel to do so (if the map's limit is less than that, then it uses all of it). And you can only boost every 10 seconds.

I kinda fancy Tybs's idea of it only being able to function without any weapons.

nfsjunkie91
December 4, 2005, 5:47 pm
i think after using the jet boost, maybe you have to wait until your bar recharges to full, but because you used it, the jets refill a little slower than they would? meh, just an idea.

EDIT:oh, and if u want to simulate what this would be like, start your own game, hold jets, press escape or whatever your pause button is, and wait until you dont hear jet noise anymore, then press escape again, or unpause it, and that is what the boost would be like.

Teh EDIT's Revenge: Lol keron, i did this and ended up launching into my own M79 nade. XP

Keron Cyst
December 4, 2005, 9:36 pm
@nfsjunkie91's edit: That is exactly what inspired me to make the thread, purely by accident xD 1337.

bond_james_bond
December 4, 2005, 10:04 pm
I do not support this idea.
Partly because, as mentioned before by FliesLikeABrick, Soldat is already too fast paced.

- Tek -
December 4, 2005, 11:57 pm
What we shoudl have instead are dodge moves that consume all jet fuel. like a quick sidestep kind of move in the air.

Yuth
December 5, 2005, 3:49 am
I think maybe... The boosting would be too much.
I've had a WM server running lately where I tested speed with lag.

And... Not much speed was needed to cause lag.

Maybe, if you hold arrows up and right while attempting this jetting...
You will get a small thrust (not enough to cause lag) in that direction.

So I say a small push in the direction your arrows are held in the attempt to use this jetting.

And if it's realistic it won't give you a strong enough thrust to make you die.

XAVALOONX
December 5, 2005, 11:21 pm
I would say yes half of my deathes are try to evade or retreat. I guess it would depend on how far you go not to far though.