( search forums )
forums always down
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
Ender
December 2, 2005, 11:54 am
Why not switch to linux/php and a reliable hosting company, then maybe it will stop happening all the time.

Echo_Trail
December 2, 2005, 12:31 pm
it's not like it happens all the time..
it has been happening alot of times lately, but that's how these things go...

FliesLikeABrick
December 2, 2005, 12:34 pm
it isn't going to change to linux because i don't believe the server is owned just for these forums. They can't change the OS of the whole server just to change this. I would agree with using php, but that won't help with the uptime.

The downtimes are mostly because of the hosting company/datacenter, so just live with it :-/

Ender
December 2, 2005, 12:37 pm
Like i said, change hosts, of course it's hard to change server OS but it's teh easy to switch the site to a different server.

FliesLikeABrick
December 2, 2005, 1:35 pm
yeah, but 1) I don't know who pays for this server now and who gets to decide if we switch
2) any new host is going to have their own unique problems
3) moving servers would cause more forum downtime than you the sum of all downtimes you will encounter between now and when you decide to stop coming to the forums.

DePhille
December 2, 2005, 4:59 pm
Server ain't a problem
I got a reliable free server that is capable of running these forums , it has higher specs than the current and and it's - like i said - free.
The good thing is that the webhost owner only hosts for several people so if there's any problem you can contact her yourself.

I agree with Flies that moving the forum causes more downtime than the sum of all the current downtimes. However , we should be prepared I think , it will go out of hand some day.

Grtz , DePhille

?
December 2, 2005, 5:37 pm
It hasn't been down for days :|

Ender
December 2, 2005, 10:00 pm
The forums has had down times of more then half a day... a server move shouldn't take more then a couple of hours if well prepared.

Deleted User
December 3, 2005, 2:32 am
It's the little quirks that make things feel like home.

karmazon
December 3, 2005, 2:45 am
its down now !

nfsjunkie91
December 3, 2005, 5:04 am
Have these forums ever been hacked?

FliesLikeABrick
December 3, 2005, 5:48 pm
i found a couple big security holes in a couple things which could have been used to take over the server, but I reported them to styx instead of doing anything stupid

people also used a flaw in the html coding to change their country to whatever they wanted, but that was harmless and posed no threat

karmazon
December 3, 2005, 5:57 pm
yeah and now thanks to those people we lost our locations >:|

Elephant_Hunter
December 4, 2005, 12:42 am
quote:Originally posted by karmazonyeah and now thanks to those people we lost our locations >:|

Yeah... thanks to those people. Mr. innocent.

karmazon
December 4, 2005, 12:52 am
:P

vash763
December 4, 2005, 1:37 am
Haha

Ender
January 18, 2006, 5:49 pm
and it was down for a long time again, fixfixfix

Chakra`
January 18, 2006, 6:09 pm
Michal is hosting (or has acquired hosting for) the forums. I've been trying to get in touch with him but my email didn't get recieved for some bizarre reason, and obviously the forum's pm isn't the most reliable way to get in touch.

Give it time. I'll work something out.

FliesLikeABrick
January 18, 2006, 7:12 pm
I haven't been able to contact him via email for a long time, I find that the PM system works fine, granted that the forums are up. He may be busy lately though, I PMed him last week and it took him a good 3-4 days to reply

Soulsnipa
January 18, 2006, 10:25 pm
forum pm works for me

Chakra`
January 19, 2006, 8:09 am
Yeah the pm's 'work'...s'just as bricks pointed out, sometimes the forums they're on don't ;)

ThaD
January 19, 2006, 7:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Michal is hosting (or has acquired hosting for) the forums. I've been trying to get in touch with him but my email didn't get recieved for some bizarre reason, and obviously the forum's pm isn't the most reliable way to get in touch.

Give it time. I'll work something out.

another way to contact with him is gadu-gadu - polish communicator (like ICQ), you would have to acquire his number though