( search forums )
CTF_ScorchedEarth
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
nickasummers
December 3, 2005, 1:42 pm
I have a knack for maps with underground tunnles (actualy, compleatly underground) and i had an idea, a map where the "planet" is hot so if you touch the surface (unless under a canopy) you get hurt (not killed). that way, it is fast but dangerous to go on top and the network of caves below will have traps such as pitfalls, spikes, and deep water (drowning), and dead ends. i need ideas for other traps or some scenery etc.

I will soon add a drawing of what i thought of so far.
please tell me what you think untill then.

karmazon
December 3, 2005, 7:09 pm
I like the idea, especially the dead ends, so make it like a maze with lots of routes

nickasummers
December 3, 2005, 8:53 pm
well, i had a good start, except i was using polyworks and was zoomed in the whole time by accident and it was about half the size i wanted, good thing i noticed early

also, a new idea is to have dead ends placed so i can occasionaly change the map to block some places, change the path between bases, and open new areas, makeing it hard to master and very hard to predict. if anyone wants to give their two cents please do.

OutofOrder
December 3, 2005, 8:58 pm
when that happens, it doesn't matter really, you can select everything and use the resize function. everything will grow in proportion to what you have done so far.

as for the map, make it quite dark inside the caves, except maybe for lava filtrations and give it a hot appeal on the surface :D

nickasummers
December 3, 2005, 9:08 pm
Ok, im about to shut down for the night but here is what i have so far:
[URL]
blue=blue territory
red=red territory
white=neutrel
dark grey=temporary- marks the polys that move when the map is updated.

the blue being on the left was an accident so when im done i guess ill just flip it or leave it for that matter.

any sugestions, espesaly for the red side, which is barly started please tell.

one more thing, the spike and water pit is a trap, but im not telling anythig else, such as how you fall in from above and you can slide on ice to get accros a secret path through it... $#!+ ;)

vash763
December 4, 2005, 4:22 am
it doesn't really matter who's on what side

I think it should be much more spread out though

nickasummers
December 4, 2005, 4:31 am
Ok, other than some scenery this is done.
[URL]
if you mant to download it, i will have it up later.

ok here is the file if you are interested:
www.freewebs.com/nickasummers2/ScorchedEarth.zip
due to problems, just copy this into the address bar.