( search forums )
Server Requirements
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
Rothgar
December 3, 2005, 11:14 pm
Hi All,
I am curious about the following, if running a server what kind of system specs do you need?

Sure you can read the manual and get the minimum requirements to run the game. This doesn't tell you much about the server requirements.

I noticed that for Windows, there seem to be two different versions of the dedicated server, you can run Soldat with the dedicated switch from the batch file that comes with 1.3 and it gives you a GUI. However the one in the Dedicated server release is just a console.

Does it still need a 300Mhz machine?

How much overhead per person? If I wanted to run a 32 player server?

Which version of the dedicated server is better for Windows?, which version of the dedicated server for windows is more efficient?

How much bandwidth does Soldat require per person? I don't see this listed anywhere. I would assume very little.

How does one get listed in the Soldat server list (Internal Game Server-list)? I see myself listed at selfkill and probably on the Soldat website, however in game it only lists a select few, what is this based on, I would have though it would list lower lattency servers first?

I see an ASE fix for *NIX/Linux, is there one for Windows? Does this mean that a fix has been found and it will be fixed in the new version?

On another note, when running Soldat on a LAN with no internet connection 75% of the time I recieve an error "Invalid Network" when starting the dedicated server. If you restart the console a few times though it will eventually work. Every map change on the LAN hangs the clients which I read in another post might be because of the polling of the lobby servers even though you are on a LAN. However is this server-side or client-side because for a LAN I can just remove the lobby servers.

This should be all for now. Thanks.

~Rothgar

FliesLikeABrick
December 3, 2005, 11:32 pm
My first soldat servers ran on a dual 350mhz machine, they ran decently too.

I would not reccomend a 32 person soldatserver on anything less than a 1ghz machine. Not because the CPU usage would jump to 100%, but overall it would get bogged down and lag the game.

Always use the newest version of the dedicated server for many reasons which i won't bother going into. Never use the "included" server with the graphical client to host internet games, it is insecure, inefficient, and not as regularly updated as the standalone server is.

You can't break down bandwidth usage per person since it is exponential in nature (for every added user, all the information from previous users must also be sent/recieved for the new one, etc). A 12 person soldat server uses around 15-20 kilobytes per second total. A 32 person soldat server (When full) would use more than three times that)

There are some issues with the "in-game" server list which should hopefully be resolved in the near future.

I believe that ASE works in the windows version of the dedicated server still, so no fix is needed. (I may be wrong)

As for your last issue, which dedicated server are you using?

If you give me specific things you would like to run on your soldat server (number of servers, number of players per server, etc) I can give you pretty accurate estimates of minimum hardware and bandwidth needs.

edit: even though I need more details about your last issue in order to help more, I can tell you that it is unrelated to "polling the lobby servers" as you called it.

Rothgar
December 3, 2005, 11:54 pm
Hi FliesLikeABrick,

Alright, I figured the latest version of the dedicated server would be better, but wanted to make sure.

That is true, however the example of 12 people is helpful.

Alright no problem, 1.3.1 is coming out soon? Hopefully.

Not sure on ASE as I just re-downloaded it and haven't checked server, wasn't even aware that they sold out to Yahoo :|

I was using the latest dedicated server from the website on a Windows machine, no internet connectivity, upon map change it would hang for around a minute and then get in the game finally. If you hit ESC while it is waiting it would hang as well.

Well I have a 600MHz machine kicking around and was going to use that. 512MB memory.

How would that run if it was Windows?
Can you give me some stats on this setup running 12 players, 16 players, 20 players

The current maps probably aren't large enough to go above 20 at the moment.

Well I searched the forums on "Network Invalid" or "LAN" and I came across a post that looked very similar. Supposedly removing the lobby servers halved the time too.

Thanks.

~Rothgar