( search forums )
Czech Republic
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Deleted User
December 4, 2005, 9:08 am
Hello. This may sound really stupid, but I can't deal with the fact, that most of fellow soldatens ( mainly those from the USA, UK, Australia.. ) don't know where my country ( CZ ) is .. some of them don't even know, where the central Europe is

So, I wonder .. have u guys over the seas ever studied subjects like history or geography ? I'm aware of the fact that my country is rather small and .. well, unimportant - speaking about international affairs .. but some of you don't even know where and what Poland or Germany are and that's just retarded, sorry to say that -)
I'm really not sure, whether for example common americans know where do "their" bombs actually fall, judging from their attitude to geography, huh..

frogboy
December 4, 2005, 9:10 am
...it's in South Africa somewhere, right?

vash763
December 4, 2005, 9:12 am
I'm in hist/geo class. It's required :(

ThaD
December 4, 2005, 9:59 am
Czech, Czech, Czech... Asia right?

The Geologist
December 4, 2005, 10:33 am
What is this..the third or fourth time you've taken it upon yourself to make sure everyone knows where Czech Republic is? Peoples poor geography skills are old hat.

Captain Ben
December 4, 2005, 11:13 am
Didn't the Czech Republic lose to the Camaroons in the 2000 Olypmics? I know because I was there :)

Michal
December 4, 2005, 3:36 pm
To be honest, the Canadian education system (around here at least) doesn't have much emphasis on learning about modern countries. We learn about WW2 in grade 10 history, and Czechoslovakia is mentioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if most kids at my school think Czechoslovakia is still one country.

STEELIX
December 4, 2005, 4:04 pm
I've been there. ;O
I got food poisoning.

Keron Cyst
December 4, 2005, 4:37 pm
My brain:

"They're all in Eurasia. 'Nuff said."

:-D

TheFunktopus
December 4, 2005, 4:59 pm
Hay well even more people don't know where Lithuania is!

Deleted User
December 4, 2005, 5:35 pm
I'm from the UK, and I know where it is plus other 'east block' countries, although admittedly i only found out from a ww2 game.

Deleted User
December 4, 2005, 6:47 pm
What people have you been meeting? The Czech Republic is on the side of Germany and to the bottom left of Poland if memory serves me correctly. And I must say this is quite a usless topic

karmazon
December 4, 2005, 7:31 pm
my teachers still think czechoslovakia exists....
I've been to czech republic and im from poland so its all cool d00dz0r

?
December 4, 2005, 7:48 pm
No one knows where Knights Academy Road is... I'm gonna cry =/

Deleted User
December 4, 2005, 9:16 pm
I know the general area that the Czech Republic's in, but I wouldn't be able to give its exact location relative to other countries.

Over here in the United States, Social Studies class (at least for me) was Colonial America up to the Civil War pretty much all the way from grades 1 to 5, grade 6 being from that point to the present.
Then we did a pretty sorry version World Geography in 7th grade, followed by our state's history in 8th grade (which was basically US History with meaningless tidbits of information regarding our state).
Then I didn't take any in 9th grade, and took both (actual) World Geography and World History (which was basically Sumeria -> Egypt -> Mesopotamia -> Rome -> Midieval Europe -> Colonies/Mercantilism with the other stuff thrown in as was convenient) in 10th grade.
In 11th grade I took US History AP (which of course is intwined with world history once you hit the 1900s and the SPAM War), and 12th grade was Government/Economics.

Basically, while you do learn about the rest of the world, it's really just the basics. Of course, I don't expect anyone from Europe to be able to tell me where Illinois or Deleware are, so I imagine there isn't any real problem due to it. You can't really understand a place until you've been there, anyhow.

karmazon
December 4, 2005, 9:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMamma
Of course, I don't expect anyone from Europe to be able to tell me where Illinois or Deleware are, so I imagine there isn't any real problem due to it.

Well I don't expect anyone from USA to tell me where particular wojewodztwa are either.

Keron Cyst
December 4, 2005, 9:42 pm
I can't believe someone actually thought the Czech Republic was in Africa.

Captain Ben
December 4, 2005, 11:21 pm
I've never done geology. For me there are two places worth knowing about: here and there :)

karmazon
December 4, 2005, 11:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI can't believe someone actually thought the Czech Republic was in Africa.

who did

Source
December 5, 2005, 12:09 am
alot of people that live in the united states dont even know where their own states are, you expect them to know where a country in europe is?

Kazuki
December 5, 2005, 1:03 am
Haha, as soon as I saw the topic title, I automaticaly thought "Czech Republic; Western Europe; Capital is Prague" Seriously. I didn't even know that that's what you wanted to know.

Anyway, since you seem to question our geographical skills, I'll tell you a bit about the Czech Republic. You're found in the central/western part of Europe. Your capital is Prague and you share borders with countries including Switzerland, Slovakia, Austria, and possibly Hungary. That's about all I could pull out of my mind at this moment. I'm not sure if it's all 100% correct, but hopefully it's not something you would expect from your everyday American teenager.

Edit: Oh, and Funktopus, Lithuania is in Eastern Europe. It's part of the Soviet Strip. I think it shares borders with Latvia, Belarus, and Poland. Once again, one of those is probably wrong. Oh, and I think its capital is Riga?

Edit: Ack, I was wrong about some things, as expected. The Czech Republic doesn't share a border with Switzerland. Also, Lithuania's capital is Vilnius, not Riga. Riga is the capital of Latvia.

Keron Cyst
December 5, 2005, 1:40 am
@Captain Ben: "geology" is the study of rock formations. The word you're looking for is "geography."

@karmazon: scroll up, then look a bit underneath the middle of your 1337 1024x768 screen.

n00bface
December 5, 2005, 1:51 am
Hahhaha god just shut the [CENSORED] up, we all know you hate Americans already.

Captain Ben
December 5, 2005, 5:09 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cyst@Captain Ben: "geology" is the study of rock formations. The word you're looking for is "geography."

I knew that! I was just... testing you!

frogboy
December 5, 2005, 5:28 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron CystI can't believe someone actually thought the Czech Republic was in Africa.
Yeah, because I was really being serious.

karmazon
December 5, 2005, 6:28 am
keron you dumbass

Outcast
December 5, 2005, 2:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaI know the general area that the Czech Republic's in, but I wouldn't be able to give its exact location relative to other countries.

Over here in the United States, Social Studies class (at least for me) was Colonial America up to the Civil War pretty much all the way from grades 1 to 5, grade 6 being from that point to the present.
Then we did a pretty sorry version World Geography in 7th grade, followed by our state's history in 8th grade (which was basically US History with meaningless tidbits of information regarding our state).
Then I didn't take any in 9th grade, and took both (actual) World Geography and World History (which was basically Sumeria -> Egypt -> Mesopotamia -> Rome -> Midieval Europe -> Colonies/Mercantilism with the other stuff thrown in as was convenient) in 10th grade.
In 11th grade I took US History AP (which of course is intwined with world history once you hit the 1900s and the SPAM War), and 12th grade was Government/Economics.

Basically, while you do learn about the rest of the world, it's really just the basics. Of course, I don't expect anyone from Europe to be able to tell me where Illinois or Deleware are, so I imagine there isn't any real problem due to it. You can't really understand a place until you've been there, anyhow.

That is different, those are regions, not countrys. I could tell you where some major cities are, and some major states. But really, not knowing europe is sad, not knowing africa and asia and the middle east is more tolerable in a way, but i'm sure the american people know the middle east better than europe :o
Don't you guys have a WORLD ATLAS present in the geography lessons...don't you ever look at it when you're bored at class? That's how I know where most countrys in the world are...when I was smaller I even knew the capitals of a lot of more known countrys.

Captain Ben
December 5, 2005, 3:42 pm
i can't even remember which states are which in Australia! We only have 6 or 7.

I'm serious.

ThaD
December 5, 2005, 6:28 pm
in Poland kids have to learn ALL the capitals of the world, as well as they have to know every island, penisula, river, lake, mountain etc.

Chakra`
December 5, 2005, 7:04 pm
Get a grip you twats, it's simple. You wanna know why no one knows jack about those minor european or any of numerous african/eastern countries?

into which, you may occasionally see on the news featuring either:

A: a civil war/terrorists blowing themselves up,
B: an ousting of some political despot,
C: starving kids in more need of food than that bird from Ally McBeal or
D: on the discovery channel with an hour long special on castles

If you ain't got the nukes, no one don't give a [CENSORED]. Korea earned their position on the globe by being completely bat-[CENSORED] crazy insane scary weirdos, with enough firepower to take out America, clean madonna's tofu-infested toilet, wipe all the smut from karmazon's mind and still have a few nukes left over to brush out the cocaine residue in Mary-Kate Olsen's nose. Follow their example.

Michal
December 5, 2005, 9:11 pm
quote:Anyway, since you seem to question our geographical skills, I'll tell you a bit about the Czech Republic. You're found in the central/western part of Europe. Your capital is Prague and you share borders with countries including Switzerland, Slovakia, Austria, and possibly Hungary. That's about all I could pull out of my mind at this moment. I'm not sure if it's all 100% correct, but hopefully it's not something you would expect from your everyday American teenager.
You forgot Poland.

Kazuki
December 5, 2005, 10:09 pm
I said I probably wouldn't be 100% correct. :P

Deleted User
December 6, 2005, 7:03 pm
Eh, it's not about me hating americans or some desperate try to say 'hello, I'm czech, I want you to respect me!', no..

As I've already mentioned in some other topic, I work as a teacher and some people ( sadly, most of them from the USA ) keep shocking me by their lack of basic knowledge and education, that's all.

I was just curious whether and how are subjects like history and geography taught in other countries. I wish some of you would stop being such asses and become able to actually 'discuss' something in a friendly manner. But yeah, I understand that this is The Lounge and many of you are still in their teens, so I don't expect much really -)

Chakra`
December 7, 2005, 5:35 pm
Exactly 193 countries in the world. Who's gonna remember those nations who've done relatively little significant or newsworthy when compared to the likes of the US, Israel, 'Capital' Euro-countries, as well as the details within each one?

Answer: A geography teacher probably. No offence guv, but theres only so much we can fit into our brains while trying to live our lives. Geography is kind of a back-burner on most basic educations, when the focus of such education is towards helping the individual to prepare for their future, rather than introducing them to the wonders and variety the world contains.

Do also take note that proximity often has a value in the education on geography. For instance, most europeans will always generally know more than an American, about Europe. On the flip side, I doubt most europeans, and certainly not myself, know the majority of states in America.

Deleted User
December 7, 2005, 6:21 pm
I've seen Americans who cant place America on the world map.

Keron Cyst
December 7, 2005, 6:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by Keron CystI can't believe someone actually thought the Czech Republic was in Africa.
Yeah, because I was really being serious.
quote:Originally posted by Captain Ben... I knew that! I was just... testing you!
Sorry, I couldn't resist xD

Captain Ben
December 8, 2005, 12:18 am
Out of all the people that could have came from... :D

Kazuki
December 8, 2005, 1:16 am
Haha. It makes me feel special knowing as much as I do as far as geography is concerned. It's not all too much, but the way you guys describe it, my amount of mental geographical reference is almost superb. :P

?
December 9, 2005, 1:13 am
WOOHOO!