( search forums )
New Soldat Screenshot Converter
Soldat Forums - Soldat Fans - Fan Apps
ramirez
December 7, 2005, 12:29 am
Hi.

I made a screen converter for Soldat before, but it had two flaws. It couldn't convert screens to JPGs like people requested and it was an ugly console app.

The new screenshot converter I made fixes both of these flaws.
Screeny:
[IMAGE]

First of all, you can d/l the tool from here:
http://ramirez.avalanchestudios.net/SSConverter.exe
Put the program to the Soldat directory.

You need .NET 2.0 to run this, if you don't have .NET 2.0 framework yet, you can download it from here (and the chances are that you don't):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&DisplayLang=en
If you are unsure do you have it or not, try to run the app first. If it doesn't run, it means you have to download the .NET 2.0 from the above link. If it runs, it's all good.

Any feedback is welcome.
Also, I am sorry about the poor quality of JPG encoding, it's because .NET uses a bit sucky JPG encoder, but bare with it (I suggest using 70+ quality, experiment with it to find out the best quality for you).

nfsjunkie91
December 7, 2005, 2:30 am
Not bad, ill have to try it out. Just for the record, right-click save-as, if u click that directly, it just trys to run the file =
EIDT:This is a great little program. converted all my bmps to jpeg with 100 wuality, and it pretty much made the whole folder a fraction of the size. amazing, i recommend this program to everyone.

Deleted User
December 7, 2005, 3:48 am
nice pretty cool ill download it

Echo_Trail
December 7, 2005, 8:21 am
this is well made!.. Good Job hombré..

Deleted User
December 7, 2005, 2:00 pm
The look is kinda plain, but good.

Maybie you should add a which screenshots should be included/excluded by number function.

Dark_Noddy
December 7, 2005, 2:22 pm
Its not called plain, its called Simple/easy to use. However U could add like "send to" link and then only those will be converted or something (to fix sgt. B's request :)

Nice work tho !

-Claw-
December 11, 2005, 1:49 am
Definately owns.

Deleted User
December 11, 2005, 2:11 am
What is the level of PNG compression? And you're using the same skin as me! =D

ramirez
December 11, 2005, 2:57 am
quote:Originally posted by Dark_NoddyIts not called plain, its called Simple/easy to use. However U could add like "send to" link and then only those will be converted or something (to fix sgt. B's request :)

Nice work tho !

Well, tools like that already exists, this tool's purpose is solely to convert all screens to different format, so they take less space. If I ever do any major update on it, I might add this though. Thanks for the idea.

quote:What is the level of PNG compression?
Well, PNG is a lossless format. It uses 24-bit PNGs (that is, same format as the original BMP screens do), so when converting to PNGs you get the exact same quality of image, but in fraction of the original size of the BMP.

quote:And you're using the same skin as me! =D
Aye, it's a nice skin. :)
That screen was took on my bro's comp, personally I use the 'olive' version of it. :D

Thanks for the comments everyone, glad to see that the tool is useful. :)

Deleted User
December 11, 2005, 3:04 am
Oh, what I meant is that with Irfanview you can compress PNG from levels 1-9 without reducing quality. I'll take a screenshot once I'm back on my computer (and I'll download it too!).

GAMEOVER
December 11, 2005, 3:54 am
Nice but you can do this with your regular art program but for those who dont use anything but soldat apps this will do it.

ramirez
December 11, 2005, 8:13 am
quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERNice but you can do this with your regular art program but for those who dont use anything but soldat apps this will do it.

The whole point of this program is that you don't have to open your 6000 endgame screens in PS/PSP and individually convert every one of them as different format. That'd take hours. Or tens of hours for some of us.

quote:Oh, what I meant is that with Irfanview you can compress PNG from levels 1-9 without reducing quality. I'll take a screenshot once I'm back on my computer (and I'll download it too!).
Oh you meant that. As far as I know, PNG uses zlib (I might be wrong) for compression, and the compression level reflectively sets the compression level that zlib uses. There's no way to set the level of zlib compression in .NET, so it most likely uses the default level, which is 6 if I recall correctly. From prior experience with zlib, usually the results for cases like this don't change radically from 6 to 9, so I think it's safe to say that it uses the optimal level of compression speed/size-wise.

Naobot
December 23, 2005, 8:08 am
i don't understand what this program is for... could i have a little help here?

BobJustBob
December 23, 2005, 8:47 am
quote:Originally posted by Naoboti don't understand what this program is for... could i have a little help here?

Ok heres the low down.

When you take a screenshot using soldat's screenshot functions, it places a BMP file in your Soldat/Screeshots/ folder. This all nice and handy except for the fact that BMPs take up more space than they should. This application makes it easy for you to convert all your screens to PNG format, using less space, and keeping the same quality. :)

rami is the best btw. <3