( search forums )
Soldat Guide
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Ok
December 9, 2005, 3:22 pm
There's a Soldat Guide Forum here: http://www.soldatforums.com/forum.asp?forum_id=94

Ok, so I decided to deal with my soldat addiction another way.
By writing a guide to it! (AHA! URIKA!)
This guide's purpose is to posses a srouce of information for Soldat other then how to move or shoot.
Its purpose is to be implemented into the game itself, eventualy availble in several languages (English will be the first version).

So: CTF, TDM, DM, HTF, and INF are things I can start a basic manual by myself (then later post it and ask for suggestions and improvments).
But I have no idea what so ever about realistic mode, rambo etc..
If you have any tips or stratagies for Realistic mode I would thank you very much for posting them here.
If you think you have special stratagies in those first one, I would be happy to get them as well.
My point in this guide is to give the basics and advanced stratgies for all the modes and all the tips we gained through the years.

BUT! not only the best and main ones, also those stratagies that are barely used because they are rarely needed.

etc etc
So please help me out here.

Note: all credits will be posted in the end and next to each stratagy proposal.

Request: if someone wants to join forces with me and help me out in the making of this guide, please do!
I need someone with close to perfect English with alot of expirience in Soldat with as many as playing modes as possible.

Survey:
Do you think the Soldat guide should be made out of :
1- Only the basics of soldat - how to move/fly/shoot efficiantly and the mentality of the team work in team modes

2- Concentrate mostly on the basics of soldat and explain a bit about advanced features and complicated team work betwin players.
3- Concentrate mostly on adavanced games stratagies and aproaches while devoting a short part for the basics at first.

4- Concentrate on both basic and advanced types of the game (and by that making a long detailed guide)

Choose one and explain why do you support it.

Keron Cyst
December 9, 2005, 3:29 pm
Edit all the scenery graphics so that they're all transparent so you can see campers in tall grass :-D

Deleted User
December 9, 2005, 3:47 pm
Change the color of grenades to something highly visible like neon pink or white. That way they're always visible.

Chakra`
December 9, 2005, 3:57 pm
Raw basics:
how to run while jumping, 'maneuvering' across differently-angled terrain to your advantage.
Getting higher by jumping+jetting in sequence.
Aiming with different weapons; understanding that your cursor doesn't always depict where the bullet will be, and how moving while firing effects some weapons.
Bink. Selfbink.

Real mode basics:
line of sight of your player. You can only see what your cursor is looking at and a 180 degree arc around it.
fall damage. always jet before landing to avoid self-harm.
recoil. Some weapons have it more than others, so fire in bursts with autos and learn to correct your aim after each shot.
Try to play more for your survival, than in the sacrificial manner in normal mode.
Some weapons, though more difficult to use, can kill in just one shot. DE's, shotgun, and ruger, as well as the other two obvious. Autos can kill in an average of 3 shots, but have continuous recoil.

..few of the basics out the way. All I can think of right now.

Deleted User
December 9, 2005, 6:48 pm

I think it will help more, making all guides.
That way people can choose what type of guide they want.
If they want to know more, they will read the advanced guide.

DePhille
December 12, 2005, 2:40 pm
DEFINITELY 4.

If you see what the average Soldat wuestion is you'll be astonished.
"zOMG my barrettttt dosn'ot fire anymore!!1!"
"How to throw a nade?"
"Cheaz0rs! You're all invisable!!1!"
and so on.

Also , you should definitely make this a high-tech guide , with a search function , one page per FAQ/tip , indexing , ... Otherwise people will just be too lazy to read it all trough.

From a belgian proverb (literally transelated ;D) - It's easier said than it is done.
I was planning on adding such a guide and Tutorials/tips/tricks/... to my Soldat webpage (SoldatPage) so I'm willing to create a whole script for it with a search function , mysql database , indexing , moderators , a look etc. and host it , contact me for it if you decide on doing that please.

I will add some tutorials/tips/tricks to the guide if I have something to say and I have time to write it.

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 4:54 pm
4 (I guess)

Make it a General guide to ALL things in Soldat, from removing that dedicated option that's default, to what kind of teammates to boost or even how to do a 180'er backflip.
Do you really want people to post guides here, maybe it'll get pretty messy and hard to understand with all the changes that prolly will be done.
And more importantly, make it interesting, just as DePhille there said, and often updated.

This seems like a really good idea to help people that can't help themselves, by RTFM earlier than after half a year of playing. Lots of help from lots of people is needed tho' it's encumbersome to do a guide to a whole game all by yourself.

The best advice I can give to be good is: "Practice alot, develop your instinct in Soldat, keep cool and have fun"

person
December 12, 2005, 5:06 pm
Good idea, I guess. If you're gonna do it... do it well. Do guide #4.

Keron Cyst
December 12, 2005, 6:18 pm
#4. It's quite obvious why. Here's my tip:

? If you want to jet the highest possible, start jetting as -soon- as you jump, not at the top or even middle of it. The animation will change to jetting so it may look deceiving at first but you maintain for a little while the starting inertia at the very beginning of the jump for a while.

Yay :-P

_Mancer_
December 12, 2005, 8:05 pm
I would like to help with the 'advanced' section.

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 9:02 pm
Oh you were supposed to give a tip too?

Here's one for realistic: The closer you hold your cursor to your soldier, the smaller the recoil will be, but the shorter distance from your soldier you will see and it's also harder to aim correctly.

Another general tip is to always move, that keeps you alive (and kills campions)
Also put skating (ice proning), and how to control your backflips in there, lots of newbs don't know of that.

Pr0p3r
December 12, 2005, 9:19 pm

Much more stuff is always better...so let's go and make a guide that's longer than the Windows XP manual (which has more than 1.500.000 words!) :P

edit:
GREAT IDEA! and we should find someone for each language spoken in the soldat community to translate it. maybe i could do it for the german community...but only maybe, cuz schoolstuff fills my time :(

Ok
December 12, 2005, 9:46 pm
Ok so , first thank you for offering your help. I can promise you, whoever offeres to help will get my thanks along with a couple of duties I can assign to him.
I don't want and don't presume to be able to write a full guide all by myself, thus I need your help and asked MM to post it in the news section.
I can assure you a section for credits will be a part of the guide, nothing will go unnoticed and the community will appreciate your efforts and help.

As will I.

For now I'm in urgent need of expirienced Realistic players for I have no information of that what so ever.
Feel free to post everything you want here, I'll read it, copy paste and then edit it all and implement it.

I also need help with making the guide "High tech" specified above.
DePhille, if you can make something of that sort, please contact me via PM and we'll discuss how we'll do it.

For now, keep posting your opinions and helpfull tips.
But keep in mind, there is already a very specified guide for begginers which will serve and my first draft for the begginers part. so read it, and try not to double post after others so it will be easier to proccess the data.

Here it is: http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=19392
ty

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 10:40 pm
OK Ok, Here's some more (Tell me to stop if you think I'm spamming too much, should i edit my first post?)
Always keep above your above your enemy, makes most of your shots headshots, their shots legshots and your % of survival much bigger. Think before you act and when you act don't think (works for me)

Add a linky to somthing like www.urbandictionary.com for things like lol and n00b.
I got some gifs too if you want to use them; a few examples:
180'er roll
Crouchfloat
No borders :/

Oh, and some people have a hard time getting that this game is actually free.
Will this be somewhat of a replacement to the Field Manual or what?

Keron Cyst
December 13, 2005, 12:38 am
Cog Rouge, how do you do the crouch bug?!

:-P

ugapa
December 13, 2005, 5:34 am
uhh ill try for realistic mode:

- WEAPONS
Usually an auto is good as it takes only a few shots to take down your opponent. A ruger, deagle and a spas will work as well as it takes only one or two shots to kill an opponent. Use a ruger if you like barret because it is similar to it, but it will also kill in one shot usually and has faster shots. m79 isnt too useful because it only works in short range and the explosion will most likely not kill your opponent in one shot. The minigun could be sprayed to make your opponents weak, but sometimes the realistic servers will have friendly fire on and if it does, this is not a good strategy to use.

An ussocom is a very common secondary choice. It can take your opponent down in 3 or 4 shots and it will reload fast. You should pull this out when you have to reload your primary gun. The knife isnt a good choice with its short range. The chainsaw should only be used for fun. The law does have long range and it will explode. You could blind shot it somewhere and hope for a kill or to weaken an opponent. If you kill your opponent and they have a good gun, you should go and pick it up if its clear.

- BASICS
In realistic mode, there are several things to watch for that won't appear in regular games. First of all, you wont be able to see every enemy on your screen. You will only see enemies in your line of sight. Then there is falling damage. There is a very simple way to avoid this and that is to just use your jet boost for a second before landing on the ground and you will take no damage. DO NOT shoot your teammates on a ff server.

Your weapons damage will be intensified, and there will be recoil. Automatic weapons suffer the most from the recoil. A good way to avoid this is to burst fire. Then the semi autos will be affected, but it won't be as bad as the automatics. The weapons that can kill in one hit in Realistic mode are: Spas, Ruger, M79, Barret, Knife, Chainsaw and LAW.

- STRATEGY
First of all, when you get into a server, make sure you press F2 so you have your radar on. This is important because you dont want to be shooting in that direction blindly if you have a ally there with freindly fire on. Most servers won't be only on realistic mode, rather in realistic AND survival mode.

If your going into a important spot such as the flagspot, make sure you throw some nades to make sure that there are no opponents lieing in wait in maps such as viet. Also, nade into common paths as you enter the halfway point of a common route on the map, as your opponents will likely be there as well.

The most common gametype with Realistic mode will often be CTF. It will also most likely be with Survival mode. There are two ways of winning a roundin a CTF Realistic, Survival mode. One is to kill all your enemies. The other way is to capture the flag.

Teamwork is vital in CTF Realistic and Survival mode. If there is a friendly flag carrier, make sure you cover them and have someone ahead of them incase someone comes your way. If you cap the flag, the round will end with a point counted for your side. Also, there is a way to get 2 points in one round which requires you to kill all the opposing enemies AND capture the flag with your few seconds you get once you kill the opposing team.

If you happen to die, don't be lazy! You can affect what happens to your allies but yelling in team chat where the enemies are. You can still look around when your dead to see where opponents may be. Pressing the W button or your jump button will let you enter Free Camera mode, which will let you look anywhere into the map. You can say where the enemies are, tell where you teammate should go incase there is anything dangerous that is coming up, and whether or not to rush the opposing base, or to hold back.

A tip on Voland is when you manage to survive when you are low on health is to stand on the ledge on either team that spawns. That ledge will regenerate your health, the only possible way of gaining your health back.

You can hide in places such as the middle path on Viet and camp there with a one hit kill weapon for any enemies that pass by. You need a quick reaction to ensure your opponents death. Another place to hide are in obstacles that will make you look like you aren't there. This can be risky because you will blow up if a nade comes your way.

If you have the flag, make sure your in a place that is safe. Don't wander out of your base, as your enemies will come there. Use the lack of sight to your advantage. Some places such as laos where theres a hole on the main route on both sides can be a good place to hide. Your opponents will most likely not check there because they cannot see you unless they come there.

A way to detect enemies locations are by your hearing. If you go a different way or are behind an ally and you hear signs of shooting, usually that means that there is a firefight going on. If you hear a lot of noise, usually thats a sign to stay back unless you have a reasonably sized group of teammates to back you up.

Try to stick with your teammates but don't cluster together as then your opponents are more likely to hit something with a missed shot and a nade will kill you all if it hits one of you.

Talk. Communication is a vital key to winning a team based game. Setup up taunts for a quick and easy way to communicate to your team. How you do it is you go to your soldat folder and then you go to the document named "taunts". You replace the current taunts with what you want. It will be ordered by 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C... Some examples you should add are: Escaping Flag Carrier Up, Friendly Flag Carrier Low, Incoming enemies Mid!! You use a taunt by pressing alt+ the key you assigned the taunt to in the taunts document.

Yay, I hope thats good enough ;)

Yukwunhang
December 13, 2005, 6:30 am
quote:DO NOT shoot your opponents on a ff server.
:D, true.

Deleted User
December 13, 2005, 4:13 pm
Just want to give another viewpoint on some things:
quote:Originally posted by ugapa
The knife isnt a good choice with its short range.
The chainsaw should only be used for fun.

The knife is a good choice, if you learn to use it. It can have a pretty long range if you try not to throw it upwards.
The chainsaw is used for fun, that doesn't make it a bad weapon. You just need to use it in maps where you can move around fast/sneak up on unsuspecting enemies.

DO NOT shoot your opponents on a ff server.

This needs clarifying: Don't shoot your teammates on a ff server. If you happen to, apoligise and get it out of the world. Actually boosting (shooting them towards where they're moving) teammates that use a non-binking weapon (spas i.e) can be very nice in a game where ff is off, not always tho'.

Your weapons damage will be intensified,

Actually your health will be lowered, nothing happens with the damage.

If you have the flag, make sure your in a place that is safe. Don't wander out of your base, as your enemies will come there.

Well, the base is where you usually expect the enemy flag carrier to be, and you meet people on the way there if you're not in there, so the only way they won't come to where you are is if they don't know where you are. Besides being a FFC doesn't make you weak (well not alot), you can still fight back!

If you hear a lot of noise, usually thats a sign to stay back unless you have a reasonably sized group of teammates to back you up.

If there are lots of people spraying that make the noise, try to sneak up on them. If you hear/see a teammate fighting, use him as cannon fodder and get the enemies from behind while they're busy (alternately let them kill your teammate and when they reload, kill them). Sounds cruel, but hey life is.

To avoid nasty surprises, I usually look behind me about every 1,5 seconds or so, and always listen for suspicious sounds (any at all, that is) even in the middle of firefights. Also watch your teammates' names on the screen border, if someone dies there's most probably an enemy on the way from that location.
Make sure you check if it's a Realistic game every time you join one, so that you know what to expect.

EDIT: Oh and Keron_Cyst, don't feel bad if you don't know how to, it's hard to know such a thing so it's OK. ;)

ugapa
December 13, 2005, 11:53 pm
allright i changed it

knife isnt as good as it was before since it takes a second for it to charge up to hit someone if it hits. You can hear a whirring sound of the chainsaw when it is out. The weapon damage being more is basically have lower health -.- when i mean dont wander out of the base, i mean like stay away from your enemies territory

Ok
December 14, 2005, 10:41 pm
A new forum was opened for this purpose "Soldat Guide".
thread for each topic, read the instructions and lets go:
http://soldatforums.com/forum.asp?forum_id=94

Deleted User
December 14, 2005, 11:17 pm
Oh so that's what it is. I started freaking out when I saw how many topics you'd started. This is cool though, I'll be sure to start posting.

Ok
December 15, 2005, 11:20 am
No need to freak out, 'tis only a forum O.o

Silent Soldier
December 15, 2005, 5:33 pm
I've done a little guide for Soldat, it never was finished, but I'll try to give you the link.

Chonoryoku
December 16, 2005, 12:18 am
Damn, I just started making a guide on Soldat a week ago and then I see this. :P Ah well, good luck anyways.

Vijchtidoodah
December 16, 2005, 1:57 am
Chonoryoku, just post it and Ok can use bits and pieces of your guide for his.

Silent Soldier
December 16, 2005, 5:26 am
It was one of my earlier Freewebs sites. Link

DePhille
December 16, 2005, 2:19 pm
I guess Ok will credit you , but I'm not sure , so don't bother if he executed the idea before you, you still get credit (though that should not be your motivation!).
Besides , credits or not , you're helping out the community.

Grtz , DePhille

headstone
December 16, 2005, 2:50 pm
I'll help somehow.

Maybe this could be more of a community effort with Ok in charge?

Ok
December 16, 2005, 8:17 pm
I sure hope it will be!!!!!
Even if I wanted you, can't do it alone.

With time, I'll add modes as well that will edit the guide just like me, because this is a very long and hard task.
I just need to find the right ppl to do that.

As for helping out, you can ALWAYS do it by posting your suggestions in the Soldat Guide Forum!
Please check it out

shoover
April 8, 2006, 3:33 am
(throws away soldat guide he was making)

It stunk anyways

lastshot12
April 26, 2006, 1:12 pm
lol its not so hard to just learn by playing soldat. One tip is to throw alot of granades.

Mr. Jenkins
June 4, 2006, 9:18 pm
in response to survey: do number 3.

The basics are basically just common sense. You figure all of them out after one day max. They are just obvious. Advanced strategic guides would really help out players.

That's all I can expand it to, but although it's short, it's truthful.

T-Bone
June 6, 2006, 11:54 am
I wrote up a soldat guide that i posted on a friends webpage....im gonna try to find the link