( search forums )
Teleport Polygons
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
m00`
December 10, 2005, 1:52 am
well you would be able to place a lot on a map and when you walk into one you would respawn onto another one, i really think this is neccesary since mappers havnt had anything to play with for a while, mdoders getting everything

FliesLikeABrick
December 11, 2005, 5:39 pm
why/how do you think this would contribute to soldat, aside from just giving mappers something else to play with? I don't really see a use for it, except as an unnecessary gimick

Pr0p3r
December 11, 2005, 7:29 pm
hey, daz a pretty cool idea. you could create Stargate-maps with different gates and planets...cOOl!

papasurf31
December 11, 2005, 9:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickwhy/how do you think this would contribute to soldat, aside from just giving mappers something else to play with? I don't really see a use for it, except as an unnecessary gimick

Well, I can see a lot of uses for this. It just opens up the possibilities for maps, being able to transport people from one area to another. It'd be like, having doorways and gates that actually brought you places.

The think I would like to see done with it is:
Buildings, which are opaque from the outside, but once you step to a doorway, you will *enter* the building by having the game teleport you to a seperate enclosed part of the map (think something like KZ_saw) representing the bulding interior.

So yes, I do think this is a realistic addition to soldat that can help improve the game.

Harwin
December 14, 2005, 12:10 am
Makes it too unrealistic in my opinion.

lordrohith
December 14, 2005, 4:27 am
I reallly like papasmurf's idea of walking into a building and then u are inside but u've actually been teleported

Deleted User
December 14, 2005, 5:12 am
recreate doom3 :P
or unrealtournament

m00`
December 14, 2005, 5:18 am
quote:Originally posted by HarwinMakes it too unrealistic in my opinion.

yes because jetpacks under a soldiers feet is much more realistic

Leo Da Lunerfox
December 14, 2005, 8:29 am
Yeah, high quality maps needs high quality features. As a mapper, I would definitely want something like this.

Soulsnipa
December 14, 2005, 8:31 am
this could be used similar to in perfect dark. The team spawns in a small enclosed area that they can only teleport out of...theres weapons to pick up and when they are ready for combat they teleport.

m00`
December 14, 2005, 8:45 am
yah this would solve so many spawn camping problems

crazymonkey
December 14, 2005, 1:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by lordrohithI reallly like papasmurf's idea of walking into a building and then u are inside but u've actually been teleported

Yes, that actually sounds really cool. Like, you walk into the team's base.

mar77a
December 14, 2005, 1:18 pm
Meh, i cant imagine how buggy this would be.

mike323
December 15, 2005, 4:57 am
Yeah, very buggy.
Also, it would be a problem because some people might shoot, then teleport, then shoot, then teleport, being annoying noobs imo.

Soulsnipa
December 15, 2005, 6:33 am
u cant teleport backwards

Deleted User
December 15, 2005, 11:09 pm
why would it be buggy? if this was implemented then it would be awesome and if people would teleport back and forth then a nade would solve the problem......

Deleted User
December 16, 2005, 3:05 am
Just like you can designate death or healing polys, it seems that you should be able to create a teleport polygon. Contact with it just triggers a different event, i.e. it teleports you to a designated location. All the tools are there, you just need to write some scripts to make a soldat appear in a new location.

This teleporter would necessarily be a one-way deal. If you want a 2-way teloporter, then you merely place each destination point nearby the other teleporter.

Teleporters may or may not be instantaneous. You could put a delay on it so that you need sustained contact to port over. Another option would be to have teleportation itself take time, so perhaps you could be shot while porting out and be dead on arrival. There are numerous possibilities for what could be done with this.

I personally think this could result in some very creative maps.

mike323
December 16, 2005, 3:27 am
I agree, now that i'm thinking about it, teleport polies would be awesome

i also like the delay idea, i think you should be able to set it though

matapatos
December 16, 2005, 9:39 pm
hmmm.....im the kind of guy that only plays in realistic mode....you can have it your way since they cant be used on realistic mode..

Deleted User
December 17, 2005, 10:02 pm
Teleport-Polygons would work in realistic mode just fine. Death-polys, injure-polys and healing polys work, and are about as unrealistic as teleports.

Teleports will only work (obviously) on maps that are designed for them, and so will not really detract from play. They will be an added feature that will make for some darned-creative maps. In terms of the possible paths that can be taken around a map, teleports will be like adding a new dimension. Paths can effectively cross each-other without intersecting.

Deleted User
December 17, 2005, 10:23 pm
I like this idea, it could bring a new style of gameplay, and might also solve some old problems with some simple polyguns placed here and there.

A suggestion, well, a total changed idea of your 1-way and 2-way getup.

- To start off, placing the polys, it basicly makes 2 polys, and you're required to move them to where you want them. They're always placed in pairs. If you want, a much more indepth option of placing 3-4 linked polygons can be placed if you want to have more specific values of teleporting, like choosing to teleport to different polygons, or being randomly teleported, etc...

- The polygons are by default 2 way. You can right click and "edit" them in a window, which will allow you to add much more specific details about them, like if they're 2 way, only useable by one team, if objects can pass through (Bullets), etc...

Other then that, I really like this idea, Its been suggested before, but it would be nice. I can imagine Castlevania mods coming out. :F

Deleted User
December 17, 2005, 11:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by ExtacideI like this idea, it could bring a new style of gameplay, and might also solve some old problems with some simple polyguns placed here and there.

A suggestion, well, a total changed idea of your 1-way and 2-way getup.

- To start off, placing the polys, it basicly makes 2 polys, and you're required to move them to where you want them. They're always placed in pairs. If you want, a much more indepth option of placing 3-4 linked polygons can be placed if you want to have more specific values of teleporting, like choosing to teleport to different polygons, or being randomly teleported, etc...

- The polygons are by default 2 way. You can right click and "edit" them in a window, which will allow you to add much more specific details about them, like if they're 2 way, only useable by one team, if objects can pass through (Bullets), etc...

Other then that, I really like this idea, Its been suggested before, but it would be nice. I can imagine Castlevania mods coming out. :F

Having 2-way poly-to-poly teleports would be dangerous, since you could get easily stuck in a loop. Also, how do you designate where the soldats appear relative to the polygon? Above? below? inside?

Poly-to-point teleportation avoids these issues, and can recreate any of the situations you proposed, since you can define the destination to be anywhere. Just like spawn-points, if you designate multiple destinations for one teleporter, you will appear randomly at one of them.

The system I propose is basicly:
-The teleport event is triggered by contact with the polygon.
-You have a polygon, and it is given the "teleporter" attribute.
-Teleporters can be organized into groups, destination points and other attributes can be defined for each grouping.
-Teleporter attributes may include things like time-delays and fade-out times.
-When the event completes, the soldat will be instantly transported to a destination point designated for that teleport-group, wherever that may be (even into the middle of the air!).
-All attributes about a soldat will be preserved in transit(health, ammo, flags, etc.), merely their position is changed to the new location.

I like your idea of extra teleport options.

I think team-specific teleports is very intruiging, but you must be careful, since this would be one of the first team-specific pathway in all of soldat. Aside from caged spawn-points on climbing maps, every point on a map can be accessed by either team.

Bullets going through teleporters would be tricky, and probably not possible. Polygon effects occur when contact is registered, but that is also what kills bullets. One would have to do some crazy coding in order for bullets to teleport before colliding. You would also have to make sure that velocities are preserved after transit, but that could be do-able if you can make sure teleport occurs before collision. You would also need to specify 0-delay teleport polygons.

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 12:32 am
quote:Bullets going through teleporters would be tricky, and probably not possible. Polygon effects occur when contact is registered, but that is also what kills bullets. One would have to do some crazy coding in order for bullets to teleport before colliding. You would also have to make sure that velocities are preserved after transit, but that could be do-able if you can make sure teleport occurs before collision. You would also need to specify 0-delay teleport polygons.

Well, to think about it, bullets going through polygons seems kind of possible. Its possible to set them so bullets dont collide as well, but then they dont hit the poly to teleport. That wasnt really the main focus of my idea however.

rabidhamster
December 18, 2005, 3:08 am
making the halo map with the teleports would be fun :P

i whole-heartedly support this.

mike323
December 18, 2005, 5:32 am
ooh, cool. that map is called like Rat Maze or something.

That would be fun to make

Raptor
December 19, 2005, 5:34 pm
OMG! Now we are trying to make Soldat a futuristic games with laser guns and teleporters!

What will be the next suggestion? Space ships?

Deleted User
December 19, 2005, 11:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by RaptorOMG! Now we are trying to make Soldat a futuristic games with laser guns and teleporters!

What will be the next suggestion? Space ships?

Nope, moving polygons so we can make spaceships. Still, this seems like a good idea. Its not exactly futuristic, it can be used for so many other purposes other than futuristic themes. Example, they just move you to a part of a map when you dont want them to walk to a certain point, or you want them to walk into something. That seems pretty up-to-date with current modern technology wouldnt you say?

Deleted User
December 20, 2005, 7:49 am
It adds creative options. Maps are the flesh on the bones of a game, and enhancing map capabilities will improve gameplay.

Adding teleports would affect maps and only maps, and would not require re-balancing of the game at all, just, like I said, add options for creativity. You could make some really awesome maps with this, and of course you can make stupid maps too. But stupid maps don't get played much, so we will probably just see new and interesting maps.

Chameleon
December 21, 2005, 7:04 am
maybe, instead of having teleporting polys, theres teleporting spawn thingys (love my terminology) like that you can place as you would place a turret, or berserker mode. and when you click "create teleporter" you choose the type (one way route, or two way route) and then click once, for the first teleporter, then a second time, for the second teleporter. with nothing to do with polys.

Outer God
December 21, 2005, 9:41 am
this whole teleport thing sounds kinda lame to me. sure, it'd give mappers an interesting thing to play with, and i guess it would be fun if they were exclusive to only certain levels, but it's one of those ideas that could just kill the game for some people or make it interesting for others.

oh, and about that building thing; wouldn't that mean that every bullet, grenade, etc, that would go in and out of the building have to be teleported as well? wouldn't it be easier if they just showed the outside of the building when ur outside, and when ur inside, show the inside of the building? logical, huh? i mean, they got the whole 'can only see opponents within ur line of sight' thing in realistic mode, i'm pretty sure this could be done.

quickslash
December 21, 2005, 8:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by m00`quote:Originally posted by HarwinMakes it too unrealistic in my opinion.

yes because jetpacks under a soldiers feet is much more realistic

Star Trek Baby I like the idea though. It would inavate it a bit mod it. Beam Me UP SCOTTY!!!!!!

Deleted User
December 26, 2005, 12:29 am
quote:Originally posted by Chameleonmaybe, instead of having teleporting polys, theres teleporting spawn thingys (love my terminology) like that you can place as you would place a turret, or berserker mode. and when you click "create teleporter" you choose the type (one way route, or two way route) and then click once, for the first teleporter, then a second time, for the second teleporter. with nothing to do with polys.

I think you're half-right there, selecting spawn-like points for teleport destination is what I have been preaching all along, but using those for the teleporters would be ineffective. It would be difficult and annoying to try to make "contact" with an arbitrary point in space in order to teleport, and I am not sure the game can even handle that.

The game is inherently set up to detect contact with polygons, and there already exists a contact-based event system (death-polys, etc.), so it seems reasonable to have teleportation be triggered by contact with a specificly designated polygon. Since all you need to do is trigger the teleport event, it doesn't really matter what system you use, but polygons is the easiest and will produce perfectly acceptable results.

I fully agree with "spawn-point" placement for teleport destinations. There is really no other way to properly determine the re-appearance of a soldat. Polygons are not suited to this, since you would have to write some weird code for materialization on a random point on the surface.

Poly-to-point teleportation as I've said, seems to be the best way to implement this. Jump on a poly, activate the teleport event, re-appear at some othe point on the map. Simple, effective, and flexible. Poly-to-point if used properly can produce almost any network you like.

nfsjunkie91
December 26, 2005, 2:36 am
hmm, now if this was implemented, we could keep people from going past where they should on the map, and have them just teleport to their base! I think the building idea PS31 had is awesome, and nades maybe should just bounce off of telepolies, or something.

Note to self:address teleport polies as telepolies.

Yuth
December 28, 2005, 12:26 am
Teleports, yeah, this is good...

I've made many maps myself, good quality maps.

And if this was implimented into the Map Maker...
Then I would make awesome maps.

But now, sadly...
I've gotten bored of making maps, too little to create with.

I'm for this though, teleports are great *Thumb Up*
I don't see why not to impliment it into Map Maker.

And when you speak of realistic, you mean on this plane of existance ?
On other planes there are different things, which teleporting would be possible.