( search forums )
(moved) What happened to the saw?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - 1.3.1 related complaints and/or whining -NO BUGS-
Swarmer
December 10, 2005, 9:21 am
[I'm posting this in here becuase it's not really a suggestion or bug submission, but just a general rant on the net code]

In 1.3.1 my saw only registers %50 of the time. There were countless time where I was literally standing there sawing someone for a good 2 seconds, and you could here "thumpthumpthumpthump" and see his blood spraying, but nope: hed just turn around and SPAS me in the face.
I know this happens in every version sometimes, but that happened to me 3 times within 5 mins. within that time i also sawed about 15 people and none of them died. There was one time when 4 people were running in a straight line toward my direction, all lined up. In the split second i had to think, I was like "SWEET, a multikill!" and so then i passed through all of them, I heard 4 thumps, and i got not a single kill!

Why is the net code getting worse and worse? 1.2.1 was fine, but in 1.3, so fewer hits registered. Nades were completely random in wether they wanted to kill someone or not. 1.3.1 seems even worse. The unregistering nades has not been fixed, and seems to be even worse.

If the saw doesn't register efficiently anymore I will have to give up on it :(

It sucks that I have to wait for the next upgrade to actually be able to have a good amount of fun again. guns are boring :P

Algernon
December 10, 2005, 10:00 am
i hits not resistering problem still persists. it's nothing particualar with the SAW, just that with the SAW you have a tendancy to notice it more. there were times in 1.3 where 70% of my SAW hits failed to resister. you're not alone. i don't believe it is any worse than it was in 1.3, but i haven't really been playing much outside my own server lately to test this properly.

Bugs Revenge
December 10, 2005, 12:46 pm
Netcode wasn't changed AT ALL.
about the SAW? we just gave it more ammo and less reload time..
even if we make it better you whine about it? OMFG.

MisterX
December 10, 2005, 1:54 pm
Bugs, he's talking about hits not registering. It's a lag issue and has nothing to do with the values in the weapons.ini, as you know yourself. So there's really no need for being offensive.

But it's true, the netcode hasn't been changed. Perhaps just the server(s) you were playing on lagged.

Swarmer
December 10, 2005, 7:23 pm
hm well, I hope it was just the servers. Saw is my baby :(

But can improved netcode be a goal in the next version?

GAMEOVER
December 10, 2005, 7:36 pm
Yeah the registering problem is still there with weapons that should of been a top priority.

MisterX
December 10, 2005, 8:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by SwarmerBut can improved netcode be a goal in the next version?
I guess this is close to impossible :/ Lag is one of the greatest problems, if not the greatest problem we have in Soldat, yet it seems to be nearly impossible to improve it. I think Michal once said that he'd have to rewrite Soldat if he really wanted to "fix" lag.. :|

headstone
December 10, 2005, 9:55 pm
Why not just give the saw twice the ammo and half the fire rate? At least then I would kill consistently.

Deleted User
December 10, 2005, 10:49 pm
It doesn't have to do with the weapons properties, headstone. MisterX already pointed that out.

I also noticed some bad lag with the saw, made me sad. I also thought for a while that I couldn't dismember corpses. It took me about 4 seconds just to rip the head off on of them. Once again it's most likely lag, but it still sucks.

headstone
December 10, 2005, 11:01 pm
But if the saw 'shot' twice as fast, fewer of them wouldn't register.

Swarmer
December 11, 2005, 5:42 am
is anyone noticing a lot of unregistered nades? Its happening a lot more than in 1.3. I know the netcode hasnt been changed, but the differences between 1.3.1 and 1.3 are noticable. I didnt really have these kind of problems in 1.3. What could possibly be the problem?

N1nj@
December 11, 2005, 5:49 am
unregistering nades? I dont think so, my nades hit more now than in 1.3

Deleted User
December 11, 2005, 6:05 am
%80 of my law shots dont register
Ruger is about %40

_Mancer_
December 11, 2005, 6:38 am
Guys stop talking about bullets not 'registering' thats just a fancy word for LAG.

frogboy
December 11, 2005, 6:39 am
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_Guys stop talking about bullets not 'registering' thats just a fancy word for LAG.

You mean a fancy word for "I can't aim for [CENSORED]."

headstone
December 11, 2005, 1:59 pm
quote:You mean a fancy word for "I can't aim for ."

You mean to say Swarmer can't aim with a saw?

[edit] And yeah it seems like the nades explode on contact more often and don't become invisible (yay!) but frequently don't cause damage. Maybe it's just me.

azn_chipmunk
December 12, 2005, 4:03 am
i am also a fellow DEVOTED member of SAW like swarmer and i have noticed this 'problem' as well..

no more double nades with saw :( =P

i see his point.

i use saw as my MAIN weapon and have gotten some decent kills (multi's, of course) with it in 1.3.1

as a SAW player, thumping is totally not cool.

however, i do realize that there is a lot "more" thumping than usual.

i will recognize lag as a factor in this predicament...

headstone has a really easy, logical answer, yet it seems to unrealistic.

saws will own even more XD...

swarmer isn't whining or complainig, he is threatening...

saws are appx 60% of my kills, while the other 39% are nades.

the 1% = boxing!!!!!!

btw, i really like the secret command :)

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 6:42 am
Michal must've done something that changed the netcode in some way, because I'm getting this alot, too. There's nothing more infuriating than dodging someone's M79, buzzing through them with the saw, dodging their M79 again, buzzing through them again, and finally being shot down by a passing MP5, getting no kills.

Headstone's solution seems to work, I ran a saw-only server with that implemented and had no complaints of unregistering hits. (aside from those few hits that don't kill)

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 9:10 am
I dont recall seeing such a major issue over bullets hitting in 1.2.1 as there is now in 1.3/1.3.1 - Michal is coming on a little too quick with these versions me thinks, and hes doing a sloppy job in the coding in some areas as well.

3rd_account
December 12, 2005, 10:02 am
I've never programmed a netbased game before. But I can't see how the server could register the pressure wave of a nade, but not the damage. How often haven't we throw a nade on someone where they get boosted like mad, but doesn't substain any damage? To be frank, it seems more like a bug than lag.

Michal Marcinkowski
December 12, 2005, 12:04 pm
I didn't really change the netcode. The only stuff that might of changed are the soldat.ini settings:
For client and server:
PacketRate_Adjusting=1 (try turning it off = 0)

For server:
T1_Snapshot=40
T1_MajorSnapshot=19
T1_DeadSnapshot=50
T1_Heartbeat=135
T1_Delta=4
T1_Ping=21
T1_ThingSnapshot=29

The server admins might be using some wierd settings or the servers now aren't good enough. Not everyone has switched yet to 1.3.1.

azn_chipmunk
December 13, 2005, 1:44 am
michal has spoken...

dun dun dun

im using the u13 servers for the most part...

u13 servers arent good enough

ahh!