( search forums )
Suggestions on improving the net code.
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Swarmer
December 11, 2005, 3:23 am
edit by swarmer: lol i are newbie

FliesLikeABrick
December 11, 2005, 4:56 pm
I moved this to the lounge because your post is so inaccurate and contributes nothing to the suggestions forum, but i didn't want to just delete it and lose all your hard work writing it.

edit: the fact is that the netcode works in a very simple way, better than what you suggested. The fact that this game is 2d sideview is what amplifies the effect of lag, whereas in a game like CS:S your bullets are travelling straight at the person, much faster than our shots travel in soldat.

Lag comes in to cause a problem because people can move significant amounts in 100-200 ms(the time it takes for data to go from one client, to the server, to all the others), between the time when the shot is fired and when it passes through the spot where the person was,is.

I'd go into more detail, but it really isn't worth it since you have no understanding of how the netcode for the (or any) game works.

Even if it did work like that, the process of "averaging" all the information and checking for every single little thing like the 'nades thing would cause the server to use far, far more resources, as well as overall create more lag.

_Mancer_
December 11, 2005, 5:09 pm
quote: I moved this to the lounge because your post is so inaccurate and contributes nothing to the suggestions forum

OWNED!

Swarmer
December 12, 2005, 4:55 am
Lol. Okay. I'm just going to delete than then cause I dont wanna embarass myself.

but is this part still valid?

quote:another idea is to just improve bits and peices of it. for example, a lot of times my enemy gets boosted instead of dying when I nade them. This could easily be detected, as well as other signs of lag.

you could use these detections to make modifications to gameplay, like making someone die.

FliesLikeABrick
December 12, 2005, 5:07 am
swarmer, read the very last part of my post

Swarmer
December 12, 2005, 5:29 am
i are newbie