( search forums )
why do we have realistic weapons?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Deleted User
December 11, 2005, 11:50 pm
so, why do we have realistic weapons for a very very unrealistic game?

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 12:46 am
Because it is a different pace and challenging in different areas. Why not?

Keron Cyst
December 12, 2005, 1:33 am
Because it was based off of Liero (for unrealistic others) and DOD (for realistic weapons). as Marcinkowski said in the radio interview.

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 4:53 am
Because people seem to enjoy having soldat reduced to a slow paced game.

Maka
December 12, 2005, 2:07 pm
to rimind the best of us that we are all fat nerds who should get out more.

Deleted User
December 12, 2005, 10:10 pm
right.........they should just give them names like fior the barrett, the sniper, and for the minimi, the sprayer

headstone
December 18, 2005, 1:33 pm
quote:Because people seem to enjoy having soldat reduced to a slow paced game.

What does that have to do with the names of the weapons?

If your point is that 1.3.1 weakened the only gun you could ever use (the berret) to be more realistic... you've got it backwards. The real berret is semi-automatic and can shoot through manhole covers.

Wouldn't that be "fast paced" ????!!!11 LOLOLOLOL

vash763
December 18, 2005, 2:58 pm
Uhm Extracide is a Weapon-Nazi

MisterX
December 18, 2005, 3:13 pm
Actually the weapons aren't any realistic. The names are, and perhaps even the amounts of ammo are. But if they were ment to be very realistic, then we couldn't just change some values like fire rate in each version. The weapons are only based on realistic weapons, but they aren't realistic.

Pero
December 18, 2005, 3:18 pm
Maka is right!

Aquarius
December 18, 2005, 3:27 pm
Realistic?! Even in the realistic mode Soldat weapons are not realistic.

Keron Cyst
December 18, 2005, 3:36 pm
What do you mean? A Ruger 77 deer-hunting rifle kills a person in one hit, and so does one shotgun pellet and all its buckshot (at a relatively close range, at least). That's realistic enough for me.

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 3:39 pm
Because you touch yourself at night.

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 6:34 pm
indeed

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 10:20 pm
For those who want an explanation other than "who cares?", Soldat is inspired by movies like Terminator, Predator, Robocop, and so on. These movies more often than not feature weapons based on real-life weaponry. As such, it's only natural that Soldat would have weapon names that, although not statistically accurate in their firepower, are derived from the actual firearms that they are based off of. The minigun is the best example of this, as its Soldat incarnation was obviously inspired by the movie Predator, in which it was itself inspired by an actual weapon.

It's nothing special--the same applies to Goldeneye: 007, and literally every other shooter game that has "realistic" weaponry.

Thus, there's no need for anyone to get their panties in a wad.

Leo
December 19, 2005, 7:36 am
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaFor those who want an explanation other than "who cares?", Soldat is inspired by movies like Terminator, Predator, Robocop, and so on. These movies more often than not feature weapons based on real-life weaponry. As such, it's only natural that Soldat would have weapon names that, although not statistically accurate in their firepower, are derived from the actual firearms that they are based off of. The minigun is the best example of this, as its Soldat incarnation was obviously inspired by the movie Predator, in which it was itself inspired by an actual weapon.

It's nothing special--the same applies to Goldeneye: 007, and literally every other shooter game that has "realistic" weaponry.

True, there are some taunts from Arni in the Predator movie :P

Saint-Cross
December 19, 2005, 2:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by dascooright.........they should just give them names like fior the barrett, the sniper, and for the minimi, the sprayer

That's a rip-off of CS.We're Soldat, not CS.You canc hange your nickname to that, but the sniper is like used by everyone..

derBonobo
December 20, 2005, 4:57 pm
they look like references to other games & movies... Doom chainsaw, CS AK, Quake rocketjumping, all the predator quotes and stuff. imo it´s pretty funny ^^

edit: still missing the worms grappling hook & metroid-stlye walljumping...

Raptor
December 21, 2005, 12:15 am
Everyone is always complaining about realism in Soldat...

We should make Soldat a realistic game like Counter-Strike

(ONLY AN OPINION)

- Tek -
December 21, 2005, 6:05 am
It needs to be at the right balance.
The guns need to look real because real guns are cool.
The characters need to be able to fly because real humans are boring.

Nuf sed

Deleted User
December 21, 2005, 8:53 pm
And I need to own here, because I don't own in real life.

Vanana
December 22, 2005, 1:42 am
i PWN in real life... aswell in Soldat...

hmmmm, realistic mode... is just another way to enjoy the game

Deleted User
December 24, 2005, 8:09 pm
The only weapon that I have that is practical for realistic is my Reaper 4 Rocket Sniper. Rapid M79's will kill you, and Hell's Fury sucks. And my weapons being realistic?

XAVALOONX
December 25, 2005, 4:15 am
relistic is when your bored of the real game and want to step up to the next level i like relistic very chalenging

Ebby
December 25, 2005, 5:36 am
quote:Originally posted by MisterXActually the weapons aren't any realistic. The names are, and perhaps even the amounts of ammo are. But if they were ment to be very realistic, then we couldn't just change some values like fire rate in each version. The weapons are only based on realistic weapons, but they aren't realistic.

Wow, that's pretty sad. Why put so much thought into a game? Give the creator some credit, there are obviously a lot of players that enjoy this game, and if you don't just leave. There are plenty more out there.

XAVALOONX
December 26, 2005, 1:44 am
I agree with you man MisterX youve lost the whole point of relistic in soldat! The relistic part is the recoil and if you drop to the ground it hurts you, man your off a big time!

Deleted User
December 27, 2005, 6:42 am
quote:Originally posted by dascooso, why do we have realistic weapons for a very very unrealistic game?

No.

Realistic would mean...

Deagles would be useless except for lose combat 1 shot kill very binky
ditto with HK 3 shot kill very very binky
long range 1 shot kill for AK
mid range 2 shot kill for Steyr
1 shot VERY INNACURATE PIECE OF CRAP kill for Spas
1 shot deer hunting rifle for ruger
1 shot SPLASH EFFECT [CENSORED] PIECE OF CRAP for M79
1 shot camping [CENSORED] for barret
1 shot + 1 shot kill for ricochet for minighey
2 shot very very binky close range for minigun

Socom is the same as deagles, except 4 shot kill
Knife is stab only
Chainsaw is useless and is shot down
law is an AT4 and people spam it down hallways.

Denacke
December 27, 2005, 11:36 am
quote:Originally posted by Ebbyquote:Originally posted by MisterXActually the weapons aren't any realistic. The names are, and perhaps even the amounts of ammo are. But if they were ment to be very realistic, then we couldn't just change some values like fire rate in each version. The weapons are only based on realistic weapons, but they aren't realistic.

Wow, that's pretty sad. Why put so much thought into a game? Give the creator some credit, there are obviously a lot of players that enjoy this game, and if you don't just leave. There are plenty more out there.

I fear you missed MisterX' whole point. The beta team and Michal don't try to make the weapons as realistic as possible from a performance point of view (Accuracy, damage, speed, recoil, ...). We merely try to make it balanced and fun for everyone to play.

Neither did he offend Michal, or have a negative opinion about Soldat. I'm not sure how you got that out of his reply, but I can assure you, he loves this game.

vash763
December 27, 2005, 1:11 pm
MisterX wasn't even talking about realistic mode.

Zegovia
December 27, 2005, 1:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by dascooso, why do we have realistic weapons for a very very unrealistic game?

Because big M Choose to........

OR maybe because he whas tierd of all the games that had all sorta constructive Sci fi weapons that acctually only are some sorta counterpart to a present day weapon, but that looks bigger, meaner and shoots *doopeleblingbling* projectiles!

Darkwing
December 27, 2005, 2:01 pm
quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaFor those who want an explanation other than "who cares?", Soldat is inspired by movies like Terminator, Predator, Robocop, and so on. These movies more often than not feature weapons based on real-life weaponry. As such, it's only natural that Soldat would have weapon names that, although not statistically accurate in their firepower, are derived from the actual firearms that they are based off of. The minigun is the best example of this, as its Soldat incarnation was obviously inspired by the movie Predator, in which it was itself inspired by an actual weapon.

He speaks the truth.

ir4scible
December 27, 2005, 4:52 pm
i don't like unrealistic weapons, like lazers and all that bs. leave that for halo.

- Tek -
December 28, 2005, 4:53 am
Atleast he set it up simply, all the files are editable.

But I've no idea what the hell sound format he uses for the intro and such.
Actually I've never even checked that out yet. It has to do with my mod, I wanted to change the intro.