( search forums )
ctf_Emerald Falls (link fixed)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Quality Maps
The Geologist
December 13, 2005, 5:04 am
Some of you may remember my DM map Emerald Falls. This is a similar venture only in ctf form. I was experimenting with texture streaching and trying to add some depth to my shading and scenery placement. This map was kinda clogging up my pipes a bit, and I feel good about finishing up other projects after getting this out of my system (wink wink). Here's the skinny:
*Supports DM, CTF, pointmatch, and rambo play.
*Soon to be waypointed (Keron Cyst)
*Best for 8-12 people. It may look large, but it's actually pretty straightforward and quick to cross.
*Don't hide out in the deepest waters or you might drown

Overview
Download

Report any bugs or problems experienced with gameplay and I'll fix them when I release a waypointed version of the map. Until then, enjoy!

Deleted User
December 13, 2005, 5:07 am
first post ^_^
very good, as always :P
love it :D

lpzie
December 13, 2005, 5:20 am
Tight waterfall. I might have to steal it from you.

The Geologist
December 13, 2005, 5:23 am
The waterfall.bmp image isn't mine, so have at it. I have a line in the .txt that explains the scenery situation.

Just don't steal any part of the map ;D

Zero72
December 13, 2005, 8:18 am
Looks just lovely. I'll definitely get it once it's waypointed.

GluLm
December 13, 2005, 11:34 am
As usual, very nice map!
Almost no polybugs and cool design. I just don't like the main colours, it feels a bit cold and gloomy somehow. Good job on the texture stretching though, it looks ok.
I don't understand why you include sceneries which are default sceneries with your map... oh well xD

OutofOrder
December 13, 2005, 2:45 pm
Downloaded :P
Great layout and themeing, worth being hosted.

papasurf31
December 13, 2005, 3:19 pm
Nice waterfall, Great water effects, and as always: extremely good atmosphere.

BTW - is that from htf_Machete?

Keron Cyst
December 13, 2005, 6:27 pm
Sorry, semagae, dibs already :-D

@Zero72: heheh. Wypts. totally pwn (a.k.a. "how I became corrupted while you were gone").

Veritas
December 13, 2005, 6:30 pm
Nice map, but the shading is kinda FUBAR'ed, looks like light is coming from everywhere and nowhere all at the same time, I prefer maps that strive to achieve a more realistic look.

Keron Cyst
December 13, 2005, 6:48 pm
Actually, to me it looks like light is coming not from the top or the bottom but from you, as if the sun was where the user is (3D, from in the front). Thought of that, eh? :-D

EDIT <3 your avatar, BTW.

The Geologist
December 13, 2005, 8:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by GluLm
I don't understand why you include sceneries which are default sceneries with your map... oh well xD

Simply to reduce the chances of making an updated version. It's suprising what people don't have. I've had to .zip up the default grass sceneries for some maps, and after that I just included most of the default sceneries.

quote:Originally posted by VeritasNice map, but the shading is kinda FUBAR'ed, looks like light is coming from everywhere and nowhere all at the same time, I prefer maps that strive to achieve a more realistic look.

Light doesn't always come from one source on most of my maps. I usually include sceneries to portray that (e.g. hanging lamps or lights), but I hit the scenery limit too soon on this one. Noted though ;D

quote:Originally posted by papasurf31Nice waterfall, Great water effects, and as always: extremely good atmosphere.

BTW - is that from htf_Machete?

Is what...the waterfall? I've had that waterfall.bmp in my folder since before htf was a game mode, so I'm not quite sure.

GluLm
December 13, 2005, 10:03 pm
Ok, after all this time I finally understand why you include them all.

Yes actually "waterfall.bmp" was firstly used in DeathValley.pms by Bernd Voglmeier released in september 2003. He made this scenery among others.

Chonoryoku
December 15, 2005, 10:18 pm
I loved the DM map, and I love this. Great job. If it was non-symmetrical it would be better though. Symmetrical maps can become a bit boring at times.

rabidhamster
December 15, 2005, 10:32 pm
the only thing i don't like about this map is how obvious the central vertex of each trianglefan is. all my early maps have this and i find it very unattractive.

The Geologist
December 15, 2005, 10:34 pm
It's symmetrically non-symmertical ^_^ Not perfectly symmetrical, yet it looks close. Still, thanks for the comments.

Raptor
December 16, 2005, 8:41 pm
The map would look coller if it had another texture... ... ...

But the layout pwns!

lithium
December 17, 2005, 11:37 pm
Very nice. Typical map by Geologist. :/

papasurf31
December 18, 2005, 2:13 am
Scenery limit? What do you mean?

Keron Cyst
December 18, 2005, 5:22 am
Open in MM+; it passes the regular limit of 255, but is underneath 500 (although I don't know why 255 exists when there's 500... oO').

The Geologist
December 18, 2005, 8:57 am
Are there scenery issues? I knew I was going over the 255 limit, but I thought I deleted enough to bring it back down to the limit before releasing.

Edit: 254 sceneries :p Too many for ya?

SERIAL KILLeR
December 18, 2005, 11:18 am
Nice map but isn't the limit 500 sceneries?

Keron Cyst
December 18, 2005, 4:13 pm
You edited it? YOU EDITED IT?! Now I have to go redownload it and rewypt. it all over again!! ;-( And yeah, isn't it 500 anyways?

But then why would 255 be there?... oO'

The Geologist
December 18, 2005, 8:33 pm
Relax, I didn't edit anything man...read more carefully before jumping to conclusions. I just checked in PW and had 254 sceneries, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Keron Cyst
December 18, 2005, 9:40 pm
Oh, okay. I would've just continued along and said "Redo your changes" anyways ;-P

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 11:04 pm
Excellent map. Yours always are. :F