( search forums )
Capture The Flag
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Guide - Information Gathering
Ok
December 14, 2005, 10:49 pm
Post your Capture The Flag stratagies and tips here (This first post will be updated with time with the incoming information so stay "tuned")

Soldat Capture The Flag:
Please make sure you read all about Capture The Flag in the Basic and the Intro for advanced Soldat before approaching this one.
Capture the flag will requir you to do multiple tasks at the same time, e.g: Attack, defend, take flags) , you cannot do that by yourself, this is why CTF requirs alot of team work.
So make sure you have taunts and make sure you master them as second nature (more about taunts in the Beginners guide).

CTF terms (also good for Infiltration):
Capping: aka capturing, the proccess of getting the enemie's flag and touching your team's flag when its in his place.
Flagger: The guy who holds the flag
EFC: Enemie flagger
FC/FF: Friendly flagger
Main route: the main path to the enemie's base is mostly the widest and most accecable route
Alt route/Low route: aka alternative/lower route ,a tunnle, can be located up, down, or middle , the most crowded and less accesable path to the enemie's base.
Lone Wolf: the guy who attack alone through the Alt route (mostly the "capping guy")
Dynamic defender: The guy who is the last line of defence, he does not let anyone pass and makes sure the flag stays in base but also attack and helps covering flaggers when there is no need for defence.
CW: clan war
FCW: Friendly clan war

Delaying enemies
This is one of the most important skills you need in Advanced CTF, inorder to understand the concept of delaying and how important it is, you need to consider the whole map , all the players at once and the full image of the battlefield which is the map.
Its true that the main idea is to kill the enemies then get the flag, but CTF is not black and white, sometimes it needs "out of the box" thinking.
By killing your enemie you made him respawn, which means he will be alive with full health and probably an arsenal of grenade within a few seconds, that means that whoever is in the enemie base from your team will have to face yet another player which reduces your team's chances to capture the flag drasticly, then you will reach the base yourself and face those same players since they know you're coming and will wait for you (by then there's a good chance your teammates are already dead).
So basicly by killing him, you "shot yourself in the leg".
The more wise decision would be to delay him, and it will be even wiser to injure him just enough and then let him kill you so you'll respawn in base (only wise when you're both far enough from base for you to respawn in time before he gets there)
By doing that you maintained the enemie base as free from enemies as possible for your other team mates to get the flag, while lowering your incoming enemy's health and making it MUCH easier for you to kill him when you want to.
This way of thinking is what seperates great teams from just groups of good players that have great aim.

General Tips:
- When your base is invaded, throw nades on the flag, but only a bit before he/they land on it. Try to throw it under their feet.
- One hit weapons are the most effective low route weapon, due to only 1 opponent usually there(refering to cw's.)
- Throw the flag in your bases direction if you know you're doing to die, and know there's someone there, otherwise throw it down/up, somewhere that the guy that is going to kill you, can't reach it fast, so your team still have a chance to cap.
- Try to use weapons that complement other peoples' choices (e.g taking a barret when someone else is using an auto is pointless and almost completly removes all teamwork abilities)
-If you are on offense, do not bombard the flag spawn pt with grenades. While it may kill any defenders whoring the spot, it more than likely send the flag flying in the wrong direction. It will also make it quite difficult for your teamates to grab the flag without getting blasted off into a wall, or even worse, into your enemy's spawn pt.
- Running backwards while facing and shooting forword is a good way to deal with incoming enemies.

Versatility:
CTF is a dynamic gameplay, you can not use just 1 style for each map and each team, you cannot remain static for too long, this does not mean only camping, but also staying in 1 area for too long.

In CTF sometimes the best stratagy is to die, understanding the concept of dieing inorder to spawn is the next step in becoming above the average player.
By spawning and facing your enemie once again before he reaches the flag, you basicly doubl yourself and make your enemie face 2 soldiers , both of them being you.
Soldat is a game where dieing is required for the purpose of spawning, spawning brings you back to your base faster, so you can use that to defend a base against incoming enemies that you can't catch by running back to base.
Later on when talking about advanced stratagies this will be a key factor for winning a game.

Attack is the best defence:
The famous saying is oh so ever true in Soldat.
This however does not mean you rush into your enemie's base blindy by ignoring them and letting them pass, this means that you better off meeting the enemie outside your base (as far as possible) so that incase you get killed you'll respawn again and get another chance.
Remember to use your movment skills to advance as far away from your base as possible to meet the enemie farther from your base and closer to his, this will also work for you when you kill him (less time for him to respawn and face you again)

Player's Status:
You have alot of ways to gather information about the where abouts of other players (enemy and friendly):
1- Death councnil
2- Flag status
3- Visual sight
4- Sounds
5- Common sense

Those can be used to estimate where is your enemie without even using taunts, taunts are somehow limited and often come too late.
By using those factors you can actualy get an accurate picture of the whole map , who's where and where are they headed.

Taunts and online talking program are the best tools for communication but sometimes they are limited and we should not rely on them blindly because an "enemie above" can easly surprise you from below because he knows you were informed of his arrival.

Which leads yet to the next step
Knowing your enemie
After playing several minutes against someone, its possible to already get a feeling of how he thinks.
Defensive, rushing, camping whatever he does, you can put that in good use for the next time you meet him.
Always try to estimate what will be his next move and adapt!
Change your weapons, change position, be more carefull, rush faster, adaptation is the key factor in Soldat! never limit yourself to only 1 style or only 1 weapon! always be prepered with plan B!

Updated 20th December added: Versatility, Delaying your enemie, CTF terms and General Tips (added from : Outcast, Swazo,Kaider)

karmazon
December 14, 2005, 11:32 pm
um the title says capture the flag, and the post says deathmatch

My tip for ctf is when it first starts, everyone usually goes the top/middle route, so you should go bottom one if you wanna cap

Deleted User
December 14, 2005, 11:36 pm
Soldat Guide
Capture The Flag

Post your Deathmatch stratagies?

Im kinda confused. Which ones you want? o_O Ill just say its CTF.

Alright, try taking different routes, so no enemies will get to your flag easily.

Tell when enemies are coming, either (high, mid or low) So people can harm/kill them.
Also tell where the enemy flagger is escaping, so people might turn around to kill him.

Dont let anyone pass, try and kill them or hurt that as much as possible. Then when they get to your base and you respawn, their an easy kill.

Ok
December 15, 2005, 9:25 am
Fixed <_<

The Geologist
December 15, 2005, 10:17 am
When playing ctf and going after an enemy flag carrier, I try to make it as hard as possible for them to move...this usually means making use of all my nades with a few tossed down where I think they might land if they're using jet, and a couple tossed at them along with my bullets. Works enough for me to like it ^_^

Outcast
December 15, 2005, 3:56 pm
A few basic tips(I'm not letting you on my secrets! ;> ) :
- When your base is invaded, throw nades on the flag, but only a bit before he/they land on it. Try to throw it under their feet.
- When winning, never let anyone pass. When not winning, try to let people pass wounded so the other guy can finish them off.
- Make use of the map, think when they are after you kill them, where they will go, evade them if you want to, or wait in the air a bit if you know where they come if you want an easy.
- When taking the flag never go where you know there's enemies.
- Running around with your secondary doesn't pay off. Unless it's a knife.
- Higher is always better, unless he has a law.
- One hit weapons are the most effective low route weapon, due to only 1 opponent usually there(refering to cw's.)
- Throw the flag in your bases direction if you know you're doing to die, and know there's someone there, otherwise throw it down/up, somewhere that the guy that is going to kill you, can't reach it fast, so your team still have a chance to cap.
- If you're almost dead, it's always better to go back to get a medi pack, since you most likely won't do anything but give the enemy a kill, and yourself a death :)
- Don't loose your nerves if you're sucking, try harder(allthough I almost always do loose my nerves, to a point)
- If on a public, use the noobs as your meat shield and let them get the attention of the other team(everybody goes for easy kills) and attack while they're shooting at him/them.
- If you see someone else getting the flag or in a better position and going towards it, don't be a selfish [CENSORED] and offer some support fire!
- Try to use weapons that complement other peoples' choices.

I bet I could remember more but that's it for today

Deleted User
December 15, 2005, 8:50 pm
Outcast, you might not want to mention flag throwing because of 1.3.1's little return bug. In which a dropped flag will sometimes return itself after less then a second.
Edit:It seems this bug has been fixed, nvm.

As for my tips...
-If you are on offense, do not bombard the flag spawn pt with grenades. While it may kill any defenders whoring the spot, it more than likely send the flag flying in the wrong direction. It will also make it quite difficult for your teamates to grab the flag without getting blasted off into a wall, or even worse, into your enemy's spawn pt.
-A clever strategy to use if your team is desperately trying to catch up, is to selfkill to quickly get back to your base. What I mean by this is: Say for example that you are on alpha travelling low on Ctf_Run and the rest of your team is at bravo base while you are only halfway across the map. You look up and see that a single bravo has snuck past your team through the middle and will most likely grab the flag and dash back as alpha is wiped out at bravo base. There's no way you can get back to your base in time to stop him, so you /kill. The bravo man, thinking that the base will be empty for some time, is horribly surprised to see you materialize with full health and full ammo.
-I will also repeat what Outcast said in that complementing your teammates weapons is always a good idea.(You have lots of barrets so you pick auto to bink your enemy into note hiting the snipers)

Kaider
December 16, 2005, 12:19 am
When you're running, if you know enemies will come at you, run "backwards", keep running to your base, but face the other way, ready for an attack. Try to catch the enemy offguard, so if they are nearly all at your base, your friends will take care of them. You grab their flag and run like holy hell.

Mao
December 16, 2005, 12:30 am
Flag Keeping Strategies:

When you capture the flag, take the option which you know is safe,
-ie- if you got to the enemy base from below, and killed the enemy there, return below, as you know there wont be anyone waiting for you in the shortrun. (some problems, like enemies from above (low on voland) actually catching up to the low (up voland) exit, and then killing you.

when you are in your base, strategies differ for different maps and teams:
Voland- always alternate from BASE to MID (hiding behind the poly) and UP, that when the enemies taunt to each other "efc up" or "efc mid" you can mode to a different location, and you will be warned of them coming.
if you cant handle one or more enemies, then run away, either to the UP route and then to the roof and back to the base, in a loop, works for some time, but if the enemy isnt killed soon you didnt stand a chance of winning anyway :/
(if you think you are good enough, you can even travel along the mid sections and taunt the enemies, as its pretty easy to kill them with m79/nades in most situations, or if not, its easy to escape (not recomended))

B2b
bravo
stay in base, either perched up above on the thingi, or below it, sometimes its useful to continually jet up, and fall down, but it could distract you a bit.
if you are good, then move along to the middle of the map (dont stay on bridges) here you can monitor the incoming enemies yourself, and run away while shooting if needed
Alpha
same as above, with one more option, below ground, before the first bridge, here you can see what happens above, and its easy to restrict the entrance from below and/or escape
drawback- if they see you from above, and there are no teammates to help you (once discovered you should move to another spot)

Nuubia
Alpha
you can stay either at the top (top platform) or on the ledge of the main outgoing platform which separates up from down (if u have m79)
this way you can get the 1 hit kills of enemies
if you are not good enough, stay above and nade spam!"!

Bravo
stay on the topmost platform, on the far wall (with barret..) of on the flag platform (m79)

im gonna stop now.. cos these arnt really useful..................
and my cat is annoying me :|

Outcast
December 16, 2005, 1:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by MaoFlag Keeping Strategies:

When you capture the flag, take the option which you know is safe,
-ie- if you got to the enemy base from below, and killed the enemy there, return below, as you know there wont be anyone waiting for you in the shortrun. (some problems, like enemies from above (low on voland) actually catching up to the low (up voland) exit, and then killing you.

I've already said that, can you please look at what has been said if you want to post it, unless we're going to be reading 10 pages soon and learning the same things over and over again on every page.
Thank you :)

Ok
December 16, 2005, 8:07 pm
Notice the first post was changed.
Read it and form an opinion.

Outcast
December 17, 2005, 7:54 am
I agree with everything said and it's too early for me to think what to add.

Ok
December 20, 2005, 11:40 am
Updated, please I beg of you read the upper posts and dont repeat what other had said before.

GARAoftheDESERT
December 27, 2005, 7:55 pm
Best ctf offence tactic is hit from all sides. This may seam like common sence to some people but I asure you it can make a diffrance.

Ex. 3 team members have just respawned. One goes top, one goes mid and you go low. Now you have three attacks instead of one. This works great if you have more atackers (or firepower)

Deleted User
December 28, 2005, 2:23 am
You can really go either way when deciding which side to attack from. Having people on each route is usually a good idea, but there are some situations where sending everyone on one route can have good results.

I've seen some clans, desperate for a cap as the clock ticks down, send everyone on the main route of Laos. It's a good way to just powerhouse into the enemy base.

It really all depends on the situation.

bl00dy_n0se
December 28, 2005, 3:09 am
Flag Keeping:
If you are in your base and have the flag, ask one of your teammates (in teamchat) to give you a primary weapon. So you have 2 primarys and its easier to kill incoming enemys, because you dont have to reload after the first gun is empty.
Very usefull is to have one 1-hit-kill weapon (m79/Barret) and an automatic or semi-automatic weapon. If 2 enemys are rushing into your base, you can easily kill the first with your 1-hit-kill weapong and you face the other one with the automatic/semi-auto.
It depends on your enemys health what weapon you choose to kill them. If you notice the enemy is at 5% of health, change to auto/semi-auto

I hope this hasnt been said yet!

Scrooge
January 1, 2006, 10:30 am
Try to hav at least 2 people defending the flag at ALL TIMES so that when they are attacked they wont be to overwhelmed by the enemy. Also when chasing the "EFC" trie using a long ranged weapon that kills quickly like a ruger or barret.

Deleted User
January 2, 2006, 1:49 am
hmm...

Always watch your back

When you're out in the field battling the enemy, it's always good to watch your back. When you hear that your flag is stolen you should constantly check whats going on behind you. I cannot tell you how many times an enemy flag carrier has wasted a teammate infront of him because the kid was focusing all of his energy to whats happening ahead.

And that goes double for you campers :|

ugapa
January 3, 2006, 5:27 am
quote:Originally posted by ScroogeTry to hav at least 2 people defending the flag at ALL TIMES so that when they are attacked they wont be to overwhelmed by the enemy. Also when chasing the "EFC" trie using a long ranged weapon that kills quickly like a ruger or barret.

you cant really afford two people because usually, matches are with 3 people per team and one person cant sucessfully grab the flag and return unless they're godly.

Umm, try and stick with your teammates when you attack the flag. Usually, attacking the base by yourself wont work out so well, so having a teammate cover you while you grab the flag will greatly improve your chances of capping.

Deleted User
January 3, 2006, 9:28 pm
I heard somewhere that you run slower while holding the flag, if anyone can confirm this, it should definatley be stated in the guide.

ugapa
January 3, 2006, 11:53 pm
i havent noticed any speed difference when i have the flag, only thing on my mind is to get the hell out of there :X, maybe the players nervousness makes them slower ;d

headstone
January 4, 2006, 1:23 pm
Quick Tip: Don't shoot at an escaping EFC with a minigun or spas... at least from behind.

AngryEmoWithAShotgun
January 4, 2006, 1:26 pm
If I was nervous, I would run like heck. Knowing that someone's shooting me makes good motivation to run like there's no tomorrow.

Outcast
January 4, 2006, 1:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by SwazoI heard somewhere that you run slower while holding the flag, if anyone can confirm this, it should definatley be stated in the guide.

No...

CrazyKid980
January 4, 2006, 2:40 pm
In some maps, a blind rush is not the best thing to do. Sometimes it requires stealth to get to the flag. Otherwords, use the enviorment/polygons to hide from the enimies. Example, you could use a bush on the ground to hide in, and when the enenmies pass, head for the flag, there'll be less to worry about fighting too many then. Don't excessivly hide, or camp (which is worse) in the same hiding spot, you might get spotted and/or lose it.

AngryEmoWithAShotgun
January 4, 2006, 8:40 pm
Yes, I see what you are saying, Crazy. I like, if I can, to grab a Predator powerup and run (not jetting) and steal the flag. I used the very same "hiding" tactic to capture a flag, except I was behind some boxes.

ugapa
January 8, 2006, 7:24 pm
... what are the chances of grabbing a predator :X
and most servers turn it off