( search forums )
Realistic Mode
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Guide - Information Gathering
Ok
December 14, 2005, 10:50 pm

Post your Realistic mode stratagies and tips here (This first post will be updated with time with the incoming information so stay "tuned")

-------------------------
edit: addition by Chakra

But for those that don't know about this alternate reality of Soldat,
how is Real Mode
different
from plain Soldat?

The differences between plain Soldat and Real Mode are:

You can only see enemies and gunfire within your line of sight,
ie: the direction your crosshair is facing.
Allies are visible everywhere.

Fall damage.
If you fall too hard onto the ground,
or move too fast into a wall,
you will take damage.

Weapons are twice as powerful.
It takes only 1-4 hits from most weapons to kill an enemy,
so naturally a cautious approach to the enemy is required.

Recoil.
When you fire your weapon, your crosshair will literally jerk up,
and the effect of this varies depending on what weapon you are using.
Autos have a gradual recoil, whereas semi-autos like Ruger
and Desert Eagles jerk up in large steps.

Deleted User
December 14, 2005, 10:54 pm
One thing you really should do in realistic mode is listen. If you hear jets somewhere and you don't see a teammate, then it is probably an enemy. Also make sure you don't jet around too much if you do not have to, it's noisy. Hiding is one of the most fun things about this mode too. You can go under a dead body, especially if you yourself are injured, and wait.

ugapa
December 14, 2005, 11:36 pm
as i said before

- WEAPONS
Usually an auto is good as it takes only a few shots to take down your opponent. A ruger, deagle and a spas will work as well as it takes only one or two shots to kill an opponent. Use a ruger if you like barret because it is similar to it, but it will also kill in one shot usually and has faster shots. m79 isnt too useful because it only works in short range and the explosion will most likely not kill your opponent in one shot. The minigun could be sprayed to make your opponents weak, but sometimes the realistic servers will have friendly fire on and if it does, this is not a good strategy to use.

An ussocom is a very common secondary choice. It can take your opponent down in 3 or 4 shots and it will reload fast. You should pull this out when you have to reload your primary gun. The knife isnt a good choice with its short range. The chainsaw should only be used for fun. The law does have long range and it will explode. You could blind shot it somewhere and hope for a kill or to weaken an opponent. If you kill your opponent and they have a good gun, you should go and pick it up if its clear.

- BASICS
In realistic mode, there are several things to watch for that won't appear in regular games. First of all, you wont be able to see every enemy on your screen. You will only see enemies in your line of sight. Then there is falling damage. There is a very simple way to avoid this and that is to just use your jet boost for a second before landing on the ground and you will take no damage. DO NOT shoot your teammates on a ff server.

Your weapons damage will be intensified, and there will be recoil. Automatic weapons suffer the most from the recoil. A good way to avoid this is to burst fire. Then the semi autos will be affected, but it won't be as bad as the automatics. The weapons that can kill in one hit in Realistic mode are: Spas, Ruger, M79, Barret, Knife, Chainsaw and LAW.

- STRATEGY
First of all, when you get into a server, make sure you press F2 so you have your radar on. This is important because you dont want to be shooting in that direction blindly if you have a ally there with freindly fire on. Most servers won't be only on realistic mode, rather in realistic AND survival mode.

If your going into a important spot such as the flagspot, make sure you throw some nades to make sure that there are no opponents lieing in wait in maps such as viet. Also, nade into common paths as you enter the halfway point of a common route on the map, as your opponents will likely be there as well.

The most common gametype with Realistic mode will often be CTF. It will also most likely be with Survival mode. There are two ways of winning a roundin a CTF Realistic, Survival mode. One is to kill all your enemies. The other way is to capture the flag.

Teamwork is vital in CTF Realistic and Survival mode. If there is a friendly flag carrier, make sure you cover them and have someone ahead of them incase someone comes your way. If you cap the flag, the round will end with a point counted for your side. Also, there is a way to get 2 points in one round which requires you to kill all the opposing enemies AND capture the flag with your few seconds you get once you kill the opposing team.

If you happen to die, don't be lazy! You can affect what happens to your allies but yelling in team chat where the enemies are. You can still look around when your dead to see where opponents may be. Pressing the W button or your jump button will let you enter Free Camera mode, which will let you look anywhere into the map. You can say where the enemies are, tell where you teammate should go incase there is anything dangerous that is coming up, and whether or not to rush the opposing base, or to hold back.

A tip on Voland is when you manage to survive when you are low on health is to stand on the ledge on either team that spawns. That ledge will regenerate your health, the only possible way of gaining your health back.

You can hide in places such as the middle path on Viet and camp there with a one hit kill weapon for any enemies that pass by. You need a quick reaction to ensure your opponents death. Another place to hide are in obstacles that will make you look like you aren't there. This can be risky because you will blow up if a nade comes your way.

If you have the flag, make sure your in a place that is safe. Don't wander out of your base, as your enemies will come there. Use the lack of sight to your advantage. Some places such as laos where theres a hole on the main route on both sides can be a good place to hide. Your opponents will most likely not check there because they cannot see you unless they come there.

A way to detect enemies locations are by your hearing. If you go a different way or are behind an ally and you hear signs of shooting, usually that means that there is a firefight going on. If you hear a lot of noise, usually thats a sign to stay back unless you have a reasonably sized group of teammates to back you up.

Try to stick with your teammates but don't cluster together as then your opponents are more likely to hit something with a missed shot and a nade will kill you all if it hits one of you.

Talk. Communication is a vital key to winning a team based game. Setup up taunts for a quick and easy way to communicate to your team. How you do it is you go to your soldat folder and then you go to the document named "taunts". You replace the current taunts with what you want. It will be ordered by 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C... Some examples you should add are: Escaping Flag Carrier Up, Friendly Flag Carrier Low, Incoming enemies Mid!! You use a taunt by pressing alt+ the key you assigned the taunt to in the taunts document.

Yay, I hope thats good enough ;)

Echo_Trail
December 15, 2005, 2:53 pm
Great said, homes!
Also, you should stick to high ground. Attacking your opponent from above gives you a greater chance of succes.

Tempest
December 15, 2005, 8:20 pm
In addition to what Meep said, when you're severely injured you can go prone on the ground and pretend to be a dead body. And that being said, you should be wary of other dead bodies because they could be other players playing dead too ;).

Ok
December 15, 2005, 11:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by TempestIn addition to what Meep said, when you're severely injured you can go prone on the ground and pretend to be a dead body. And that being said, you should be wary of other dead bodies because they could be other players playing dead too ;).

Are you serious?!?!
Does that actualy work?!?!

Kaider
December 16, 2005, 12:11 am
Lol Ok.

I have a strategy for ya. Turn off distant sounds under options and listen for a while. If you hear jets, you know someone is coming. Kinda like what Meep. said.

Echo_Trail
December 16, 2005, 7:12 am
I don't think the distant battle is really a problem, but whatever you do, don't turn on music.
It limits your abilities, and is only good for Zombiematch :P

Tempest
December 17, 2005, 9:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by Ok
Are you serious?!?!

Not all the time, but it does work :). Although I forgot to mention that it helps to put your cursor right under your soldat so your head and gun don't stick out while not limiting your field of vision too much. Sometimes you might get killed by stray shots or grenades :(. And doesn't help if it's survival and someone on the other team tells the others that you're playing dead lol.

Chakra`
December 18, 2005, 7:31 pm
Headphones are a great help. I've suprised many people jumping out of a hole somewhere by shooting them the second they emerge. It understandably looks like I have some kind of aim hack, but in reality I knew where they were coming from seconds in advance.

On that note, not using your jets helps in being stealthy. Sneaking can be essential to survival.

Hope no one minds the edit I made in Ok's first post here? S'just theres alot of people out there that don't even know what Real Mode is.

UGK
December 19, 2005, 4:50 am
quote:Originally posted by Okquote:Originally posted by TempestIn addition to what Meep said, when you're severely injured you can go prone on the ground and pretend to be a dead body. And that being said, you should be wary of other dead bodies because they could be other players playing dead too ;).

Are you serious?!?!

Yes that actually does work...Make sure to stick out the gun so the bullet has more strength. Like the barret. If you shoot through a body, the most likely thing that will happen is that the bullet will slow down and only hurt them and not kill them. :D

quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Headphones are a great help.

Yeah they are. Make sure the sound is bumped all the way up. You can hear people crawling, Reloading, jumping, and their jets. I'm getting new headphones just to improve my skill in R/S.

PS: Good thinking about making a new Soldat guide. Good luck.

Darkwing
December 27, 2005, 1:38 am
Quick tip for you all..
on real mode.. start a conversation.
Sounds stupid but when the enemy speak, there text shows above there head even if YOU cant directly see them.

Vijchtidoodah
December 27, 2005, 6:50 am
quote:Originally posted by DarkwingQuick tip for you all..
on real mode.. start a conversation.
Sounds stupid but when the enemy speak, there text shows above there head even if YOU cant directly see them.

Lame, lame, lame. Since when do you kill the social aspect of a good game for a cheap point?

And Ok/Chakra, something went horribly wrong with the guide. It looks like a teenage valley girl's website from the 90's, the only thing missing is blaring colors and thousands of animated gifs. Unless you're writing a poem, leave the text at the left side of the page, keep the font at one or two sizes and one consistent type.

Svirep
December 30, 2005, 11:10 pm
in realistic survival ctf with good players
they will often move slow and without jets, use tacitics and cover each other, camp on good positions and try not to get killed
many times the best option is for just one player to go kamikaze, take the fastest and most obvious route (mid?), charge for the flag and use the same route to get back
many times the route will be free and you'll get back and score before they even know what hit'em
if someone is accualy covering that route you'll have a decent good chance of taking them down as your speed will come as a suprise(use automatic)
even if they hunt you down and kill you will distract them enough to give your team a nice advantage

Ok
December 31, 2005, 3:01 am
quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodah
And Ok/Chakra, something went horribly wrong with the guide. It looks like a teenage valley girl's website from the 90's, the only thing missing is blaring colors and thousands of animated gifs. Unless you're writing a poem, leave the text at the left side of the page, keep the font at one or two sizes and one consistent type.

ROFL ^_^
That's Chakra's work.
Its not the guide though, its just the info gathering forum, the guide wont look like that.

Darkwing
December 31, 2005, 1:34 pm
jets are how you hear a noob coming- Also if theres a long way down, camp the bottom- when they approach the bottom, the activate jets so as not to die and you fire.
Puts a hole in them second they land.

People always law me like that.

NeoSoldier
December 31, 2005, 5:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by Echo_TrailGreat said, homes!
Also, you should stick to high ground. Attacking your opponent from above gives you a greater chance of succes.

I agree. Higher ground means that you could throw nades. If u are on the lower ground, MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND unless u're really adept at dodging nades.

DeLarge
December 31, 2005, 9:24 pm
Good guide. Be sure to look out for a camping guide I am currently creating.

scarface
January 3, 2006, 3:15 am
It's possible to eliminate most recoil by firing in short bursts. For example the AK behaves very well when fired in 3-round bursts. This is the 'lazy' auto option for realistic mode.

The most effective firemode however is rapid single shots. By quickly tapping the mousekey it's possible to fire just as fast as full auto. This technique eliminates all recoil and still allows to adjust the aim while firing.

As usual, the counter to this kind of massed firepower is called Ruger :)

Deleted User
January 3, 2006, 5:06 am
Burst firing isn't the 'lazy' auto option for realistic mode. If anything, it is spraying an auto. All you have to do is hold the mouse button down, but sprayers bug me.

scarface
January 3, 2006, 5:16 pm
The only use for the traditional open-server spraying in R/S mode is the minigun - very unique handling on this one. Simple spraying is just ineffective or will get your teammates killed.

Dammit we ought to promote R/S mode harder - it's very much like Counterstrike and adds a whole new dimension to Soldat!

headstone
January 4, 2006, 1:26 pm
Yeah, I just discovered RS on Leo's FULL. It's a quick learning curve if you've nevered played realistic (my fist game I was like 2/10), but it's so much better than normal soldat.

AngryEmoWithAShotgun
January 4, 2006, 9:17 pm
In realistic mode, is it true that you can only see both players AND bodies in your line-of-sight? If that is not true, then the tactic of playing possum stated above wouldn't work.

Rezan
May 19, 2006, 11:52 am
Desert Eagle does insta kill from above. Backflipping is excellent in caves, if there's a lil hiding spot there, you can ambush your enemy. Ruger is the best weapon vs few enemies, while I think the FN is the best versus many.

TACKLEbeast666
May 20, 2006, 5:30 am
yea, i was about to say, Fn IS EXCELLENT in RS

Deleted User
May 20, 2006, 6:50 am
 Quote:Originally posted by AngryEmoWithAShotgunIn realistic mode, is it true that you can only see both players AND bodies in your line-of-sight? If that is not true, then the tactic of playing possum stated above wouldn't work.

Yeah, dead bodies are only see-able when in your line of sight. I've actually tried playing possum a couple times with a knife, good stuff.

TACKLEbeast666
May 20, 2006, 8:13 pm
i have a quick tip, try to aim for upper body if possible.
it's too hard to just aim for the head, but try to aim upper body is possible for me, so practice to do that i guess.

Rezan
June 1, 2006, 1:16 pm
Oh, and USSOCOM is deathly effecient in caves, since even the MP5 can't match its damage and rate of fire there with such accuracy. Whenever I'm in trouble in a cave, I pull out the USSOCOM and scare the daylights out of all the auto users.

Aquarius
June 1, 2006, 5:54 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by ugapa
If you happen to die, don't be lazy! You can affect what happens to your allies but yelling in team chat where the enemies are.

Well, it's called "spying" and usually it's considered as lame tactic (especially on r/s servers), because yelling when you are dead is not "realistic" at all.

T-Bone
June 6, 2006, 10:56 am
I'd say work on your sneakiness, don't run out in the open if it can be avoided. try not to boost alot, since it gives away your location. I am by no means telling you to camp, just be more cautious (sp?)