( search forums )
Modding
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Guide - Information Gathering
Ok
December 14, 2005, 10:51 pm
Post your mode making tips and advices here (This first post will be updated with time with the incoming information so stay "tuned")

When making mods, the first thing you need to remember is that gfx means graphics, that means all the directories with the gfx in their names means they hold graphic files and there for inorder to change graphic these will be the directories you'll be dealing with.

Stages of making a mod (made by nfsjunkie91) :

1)Navigate yourself to the main soldat directory, usually C:/soldat/
2)Then, select and copy whatever parts of the game you would like to mod (weapons-gfx, sparks-gfx, the weapons.ini, etc.)
3)After you have done this, goto the mods folder, and create a new folder named whatever you would like your mod to be named.
4)Double-click on the folder you jsut created, and paste the folders you had copied.
5)we're going to concentrate on weapons-gfx here so, open up the weapons-gfx folder.
6)Well, here is how they are:
a: anything that has -fire after it is the muzzle flash for that particular gun.
b: anything that has -2 after it is the upsidedown version of that graphic, so that it looks good pointing to the left.
c: anything that has -bullet is the bullet for that gun.
d: anything that has -clip after it is the clip graphics for that gun
Not all the guns have every single one of these files, so don't be fooled into thinking your soldat is 'missing' files.

7)Actually modding the gun graphics.
You have a couple of options.
a: Resize Pictures from a website, such as world.guns.ru
b: Actually attempt pixel art and try to replicate a gun as best as you can with shading, or make up your own gun.
c: then, if it is the gun graphics, vertically flip it and save it as the -2 version.

8)now, go back to the main mod folder that you created, and open the folder interface-gfx and then open the folder guns.

9)change all these in the same way you would the regular weapons graphics, except make them larger, so ppl can see them on the interface.

End Notes:Try not to ever exceed the limits vertically of any files in the weapons gfx folder.
A good maximum size for the interface graphics is 64x17.

Sparks-gfx Information:
plomyk.bmp - Rambo flaming bow fire, and when someone is lit up by m79 or flamer.
blacksmoke.bmp - smoke coming off of fire.
pin.bmp - grenade pin
splat.bmp - when blood hits the ground it bounces off and changes into this, i guess it is to simulate the blood splashing away from initial point of impact.
puff.bmp - seems to appear whenever a bullet collides with a soldat.
cygaro.bmp - the cigarette after being thrown out.
odlamek1,2,3.bmp - debris from an explosion (nade, m79, etc.)
lilfire.bmp - the flames from an explosion (nade, m79, etc.)
blood.bmp - usually comes out when shot, or when parts of body are blown off, for full effect, type /brutalkill and watch 'em bleed.
gauge-luska, 40mm-luska, luska.bmp - have nto yet seen them used in the game, i believe they may be left over. if MM has any words on these 3, please tell me.
odprysk.bmp - the sparks coming off of the LAW, AND the /piss... well.. piss! also will come off of jet fire touching the ground, bullets hitting the ground... generally the main graphic for sparks.
lilsmoke.bmp - comes off of firing a gun.
smoke.bmp - when law is reloading it is the smoking barrel, also is the smoke from jets.
minismoke.bmp - comes off when bullets hit the wall, ground, etc.
stuff.bmp - i havent seen it do anything yet, but i will update if i do.
skrawek.bmp - comes off when shot.
bigsmoke, bigsmoke2.bmp - these are the 2 images that linger after an explosion, bigsmoke2 lingers a fraction of a second longer than bigsmoke.
snow.bmp - the snow effect on snowy levels.
sand.bmp - the sandstorm effect on levels with it triggered.
rain.bmp - the rain effect on levels with rain triggered.

Now for the subfolders:
explosion - explode1-16 are the explosion frames of a grenade, m79, or LAW smoke 1-10 are the smoke frames that are triggered about halfway through the animation of explode 1-16.
flames - explode1-16 are the flame animation for the flamer, but they also are used when the clusters explode.

Weapons modding:
Browse into your Soldat directory, you will find a file named: "weapons.ini".
Make a copy of that file and rename it to something short and simple.

Note: Do NOT rename it to something with spaces , the game ignores everything after the space thus not recognizing the file.

When you start your own server use the CMD line by pressing "/" and type the command "/loadwep <the file name you gave the weapons.ini>"

Note: Do not include the ".ini" when using the "/loadwep" command just write the name of the file without the extention.

The images to make an gostek are located in the folder "gostek-gfx" in your soldat folder

Player base:

[IMAGE]

Hairstyles:

#8226; dred.bmp = A single dreadlock
#8226; hair1.bmp = Base hair for the dreadlocks
#8226; hair2.bmp = Punk
#8226; hair3.bmp = Mr.T style (colour is not affected by the set haircolour in "Options")
#8226; hair4.bmp = normal

Headgear:

#8226; kap.bmp = hat
#8226; helm.bmp = helmet
#8226; badge.bmp = headband for rambo mode.

Other

#8226; kamizelka = same as klata.bmp but only apears when u picked up the bulletproof vest.

#8226; lecistopa = foot while using jet

#8226; para.bmp = parachute part1
#8226; para2.bmp = parachute part2
#8226; para-rope.bmp = parachute rope

#8226; cygaro = cigarette/cigar
#8226; lancuch = dogtag#8217;s chain
#8226; metal = dogtag
#8226; zlotylacuch = gold chain
#8226; zloto = gold chain frontal link piece thingy

-The files in the folder 'ranny' are images (red blood) that apear on your player when u have low health.
-Beer and walkie do not seem to appear in the game
-The mirror images of the above are marked with a #8216;2#8217; following the filename. These are used to reverse the appearance; when the player is looking at the left side.
-/Gostek-gfx/Team2/ is the gostek for the bravo(blue) team.

-----------------------

Updates:
January 2, 2006: Added notes for weapons modding by Kaider, rabidhamster and Keron Cyst.

January 10, 2006: added "actualy modding" by nfsjunkie91
January 13, 2006: Added explaintions of what each file means and more info of that sort that I can't be arsed to explain. by nfsjunkie91 and

Kaider
December 16, 2005, 12:13 am
To mod just the weapons to host your own Weapon Mod server or just for your own enjoyment, go under your Soldat file and edit Weapons.ini

rabidhamster
December 16, 2005, 1:43 am
^no! then you will be without a default .ini!

make a copy of weapons.ini and edit the copy. rename the copy to something short and simple, then while in-game, type

/loadwep xxx.ini

where xxx is your custom .ini file name.

EDIT: WEWT I'M A KERNEL!

Kaider
January 2, 2006, 6:04 am
When using /loadwep xxx.ini, do not include the (dot)ini. I saw a help topic on this where a person was including (dot)ini in the /loadwep command.

It turns out it didn't work.

Keron Cyst
January 2, 2006, 7:01 am
In using the /loadwep X command the .INI file cannot have a space in its name; it will be ignored, just like a shortcut parameter utilizing a Soldat\Mods folder likewise.

Ok
January 2, 2006, 9:21 am
Updated, please check and note if I got something wrong.

a-4-year-old
January 3, 2006, 2:30 am
when ACTUALLY modding, figure out what kind of mod you want, i think there are three kinds:

balance: when you want a bit more damage for the styger, or faster rate of fire for that barret, you want a balance wm.

insane: auto laws, rambo barrets, or just a minimi that pumps those little soldats full of buckshot, an insane wm is what you want

Fun/new: Fun/New is for people who want to meddle with the weapons to create something intresting like a spaz with lots of speed and superlow damage, so people can cruse around the map at a very high speed. or a minigun with spaz bullets, but has a lot of bink. or like that guy who made the chainsaw a jetpack.

if your new, i would suggest a Fun/New mod, cause if you mess it up, you can just say its an insane one, and it does give you the experience of learning how the weapons are set up.

if you are doing an insane one, go... well, insane, type random #s and hope its not a lag-fest when your done.

for a balance, make changes that are small, but are at least noticeable.

Ok
January 3, 2006, 1:28 pm
I read it and still can't understand what exactly are you offering here.
All I can figure out from the post is that you are offering options of how to use the weapons balance and tweak it to all sorts of stuff like insance of fun/new stuff..
What's the point though? what's the suggestion?

Keron Cyst
January 3, 2006, 11:37 pm
He's giving pointers on making a balanced weapon mod, not any raw filename tips or whatnot.

nfsjunkie91
January 6, 2006, 12:46 am
When making ACTUAL mods, this is what you NEED to know.

1)Navigate yourself to the main soldat directory, usually C:/soldat/
2)Then, select and copy whatever parts of the game you would like to mod (weapons-gfx, sparks-gfx, the weapons.ini, etc.)
3)After you have done this, goto the mods folder, and create a new folder named whatever you would like your mod to be named.
4)Double-click on the folder you jsut created, and paste the folders you had copied.
5)we're going to concentrate on weapons-gfx here so, open up the weapons-gfx folder.
6)Well, here is how they are.
a)anything that has -fire after it is the muzzle flash for that particular gun.
b)anything that has -2 after it is the upsidedown version of that graphic, so that it looks good pointing to the left.
c)anything that has -bullet is the bullet for that gun.
d)anything that has -clip after it is the clip graphics for that gun
Not all the guns have every single one of these files, so don't be fooled into thinking your soldat is 'missing' files.
7)Actually modding the gun graphics.
You have a couple of options.
a)Resize Pictures from a website, such as world.guns.ru
b)Actually attempt pixel art and try to replicate a gun as best as you can with shading, or make up your own gun.
c)then, if it is the gun graphics, vertically flip it and save it as the -2 version.
8)now, go back to the main mod folder that you created, and open the folder interface-gfx and then open the folder guns.
9)change all these in the same way you would the regular weapons graphics, except make them larger, so ppl can see them on the interface.

End Notes:Try not to ever exceed the limits vertically of any files in the weapons gfx folder.
A good maximum size for the interface graphics is 64x17.

Hope this Helps!

John O
January 10, 2006, 7:29 am
i have wepon121, is htat the same thing? cuz i wouldnt understand why.

Ok
January 10, 2006, 1:00 pm
Updated.

For nfsjunkie91:
First of all good job with those tips, really helps and is very usefull.
I've read it and as a modding noob myself, it informed me alot.
However, I do have some questions to clear out.
I'm not quite sure of what exactly each part means.
Weapons is pretty obvious, but could you add explainations of what the rest mean?
For example "sparks" what exactly do they mean and effect?

nfsjunkie91
January 12, 2006, 5:02 pm
ok, Ok (:P), ill work on that rite now, considering i have nothing to do right now. expect it within the hour.

Sparks-gfx Information:
plomyk.bmp - Rambo flaming bow fire, and when someone is lit up by m79 or flamer.
blacksmoke.bmp - smoke coming off of fire.
pin.bmp - grenade pin
splat.bmp - when blood hits the ground it bounces off and changes into this, i guess it is to simulate the blood splashing away from initial point of impact.
puff.bmp - seems to appear whenever a bullet collides with a soldat.
cygaro.bmp - the cigarette after being thrown out.
odlamek1,2,3.bmp - debris from an explosion (nade, m79, etc.)
lilfire.bmp - the flames from an explosion (nade, m79, etc.)
blood.bmp - usually comes out when shot, or when parts of body are blown off, for full effect, type /brutalkill and watch 'em bleed.
gauge-luska, 40mm-luska, luska.bmp - have nto yet seen them used in the game, i believe they may be left over. if MM has any words on these 3, please tell me.
odprysk.bmp - the sparks coming off of the LAW, AND the /piss... well.. piss! also will come off of jet fire touching the ground, bullets hitting the ground... generally the main graphic for sparks.
lilsmoke.bmp - comes off of firing a gun.
smoke.bmp - when law is reloading it is the smoking barrel, also is the smoke from jets.
minismoke.bmp - comes off when bullets hit the wall, ground, etc.
stuff.bmp - i havent seen it do anything yet, but i will update if i do.
skrawek.bmp - comes off when shot.
bigsmoke, bigsmoke2.bmp - these are the 2 images that linger after an explosion, bigsmoke2 lingers a fraction of a second longer than bigsmoke.
snow.bmp - the snow effect on snowy levels.
sand.bmp - the sandstorm effect on levels with it triggered.
rain.bmp - the rain effect on levels with rain triggered.

Now for the subfolders:
explosion - explode1-16 are the explosion frames of a grenade, m79, or LAW smoke 1-10 are the smoke frames that are triggered about halfway through the animation of explode 1-16.
flames - explode1-16 are the flame animation for the flamer, but they also are used when the clusters explode.

UPDATED SKRAWEK.BMP INFORMATION

SERIAL KILLeR
January 12, 2006, 6:49 pm
Updated version of the gostek files translation by abortion

Gostek files:

The images to make an gostek are located in the folder "gostek-gfx" in your soldat folder

Player base:

[IMAGE]

Hairstyles:

? dred.bmp = A single dreadlock
? hair1.bmp = Base hair for the dreadlocks
? hair2.bmp = Punk
? hair3.bmp = Mr.T style (colour is not affected by the set haircolour in "Options")
? hair4.bmp = normal

Headgear:

? kap.bmp = hat
? helm.bmp = helmet
? badge.bmp = headband for rambo mode.

Other

? kamizelka = same as klata.bmp but only apears when u picked up the bulletproof vest.

? lecistopa = foot while using jet

? para.bmp = parachute part1
? para2.bmp = parachute part2
? para-rope.bmp = parachute rope

? cygaro = cigarette/cigar
? lancuch = dogtag?s chain
? metal = dogtag
? zlotylacuch = gold chain
? zloto = gold chain frontal link piece thingy

-The files in the folder 'ranny' are images (red blood) that apear on your player when u have low health.
-Beer and walkie do not seem to appear in the game
-The mirror images of the above are marked with a ?2? following the filename. These are used to reverse the appearance; when the player is looking at the left side.
-/Gostek-gfx/Team2/ is the gostek for the bravo(blue) team.

Ok
January 12, 2006, 10:11 pm
Holly crap man! that's ubber usefull!
Correct me if I'm wrong , but I think we have a full modding guide, don't we?
If we're missing something please tell me because I believe this just might be the first topic to be finished so soon.

nfsjunkie91
January 13, 2006, 1:25 am
Not Complete yet, i gotta get the info for Objects in here!

well here we go:
in your main soldat folder, goto textures, then objects and there you will have the bmps for all the objects in the game.
berserkerkit.bmp - Berserker powerup box texture
clusterkit.bmp - Cluster grenade powerup box texture
flamerkit.bmp - Flamer powerup box texture
grenadekit.bmp - Grenade box texture
medikit.bmp - medical kit powerup box texture
predatorkit.bmp - Predator powerup box texture
vestkit.bmp - Bulletproof powerup box texture

Also, there is an objects-gfx folder in your main soldat folder, so let's review these.
flag.bmp - the flagpole
flag2.bmp - actually i have seen this nowhere in the game yet
torch.bmp - havent seen this either!
ilum.bmp - this is used as the flash for ctf flags being in bases, or rambow.

nfsjunkie91
January 13, 2006, 1:38 am
And some more information:

Let's say you made a bunch of guns that look nothing like the originals, and you want to make sure you can get their names across. Here's what you do.
1.look for the folder txt.
2.copy it and then paste it in your mods folder.
3.open weaponnames.txt
4.Change weapons names to match whatever gun you have replaced them with.
And there you go.

Another thing, that may be a little hard, is to open the languages folder within txt, and change how the weapons appear under the options tab in soldat.

so for instance, you open english.txt in notepad and do a search for eagles and you find it, right at the top of the list:
quote:
Eagles
Mp5
Ak74
Steyr
Spas 12
Ruger
M79
Barret
Minimi
Minigun
SOCOM
Knife
Chainsaw
LAW

You can then change all these names, and it will change in the options tab under soldat.
ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE MODIFYING, UNLESS YOU PUT IT IN A MOD FOLDER.
If you had a science fiction mod or such, it may look like:
quote:
Blasters
Repeater
A. Laser
A.R. 30
E Spread
Laser
Grav-Gun
Railgun
Hvy Lsr
Hvy Bit
E Gun
E Sword
Ripper
E. Shot

If you do change them, make sure to keep the names short.

Ok, NOW we covered everything :D

nfsjunkie91
January 13, 2006, 1:51 am
Well, i figure since post count doesn't matter, and i would like to keep each part seperate, yet another post by me (of course ok, feel free to combine if you think it necessary)

Final Modding Advice and Tricks.

When you make a really long bitmap (640+ pxls) for a gun that shoots projectiles at high speeds, it makes a really cool effect especially with bullet trails on.

Shotgun and m79 bullets do not get any bigger or smaller with speed, unlike all the regular bullets.

Chainsaw sounds are complicated :P

M79, LAW, Knife, Chainsaw, and shotty do not work with regular bullets (bullettype=1)

Guns that fire regular bullets can fire anything but stationary gun, which is invisible.

Only Deagles can fire dual shots.

If a weapon is automatic, you cannot change that.

The guns that cannot fire regulare bullettypes can fire each others bullets however. (law can shoot m79 nades, shotgun pellets)

GLITCH: make a law fire shotgun pellets, with a delay of 30 and 10 ammo, aim at the ground, and hold down fire. whne you get high enough in the air, you will just fire shotgun pellets around like crazy.

the maximum amount of bullets you can set as ammo is 250 before it gets weird.

Hope all the info i have provided helps.

John O
January 14, 2006, 1:15 am
alright, i have a weapons121 file, not a weapons.ini file, what should i do?

nfsjunkie91
January 14, 2006, 5:24 am
2 things
A)you have soldat 1.2.1
B)jsut reinstall soldat, you may have deleted a file.

MegaJohnny
January 14, 2006, 6:45 pm
(I presume mapmaking comes under modding) anyone like to share with me how to place a stationary gun onto a map?

nfsjunkie91
January 14, 2006, 8:03 pm
there is a mapping topic, and this isn't exactly a question forum, but i guess I can help you.

In the lowerleft hand corner of the screen, press make spawnpoint, and from the menu there, choose stationary gun.

Ok
January 15, 2006, 12:37 am
Well I can't access the damn mapping topic because its in the second page <_<
and I'm having some problems with my browser.
So MegaJohny, be kinda and go to the second page of this forum (not this thread, but the forum itself) and check the mapping guide posted there in the last topic, someone made a huge mapping guide.
Then come back here and tell me if it helped u.
If no response will be made after a few days, I will delete the 2 posts above this.

MegaJohnny
January 15, 2006, 10:28 pm
Oh, It's Ok Ok, I downloaded a different mapmaker and you can put in gun turrets but thanks for replying to my question =]

-MegaJohnny

Ok
January 15, 2006, 10:53 pm
no problem :)
Just a note, I'll be deleting these previous topics once I sort out my problem.
To prevent posts of none revelvant issues.
So dont be surprised if they're gone :)

nfsjunkie91
January 20, 2006, 4:58 am
UP
DATE
i updated my posts, you should update the main one Ok.

Ok
January 20, 2006, 9:52 pm
What exactly did you update mate?
If you updated something specific please tell me what it is instead of making me read both versions and try to understand what had changed, because that would be just too evil.
ARE YOU EVIL????

nfsjunkie91
January 21, 2006, 12:08 am
well, i added a couple posts that i think will be helpful , plus i put in large red letters saying I updated the skrawek.bmp information.

Ok
January 21, 2006, 2:29 pm
Note to admins ^_^:
Add these too parts when I someone has the time.

quote:Originally posted by nfsjunkie91Well, i figure since post count doesn't matter, and i would like to keep each part seperate, yet another post by me (of course ok, feel free to combine if you think it necessary)

Final Modding Advice and Tricks.

When you make a really long bitmap (640+ pxls) for a gun that shoots projectiles at high speeds, it makes a really cool effect especially with bullet trails on.

Shotgun and m79 bullets do not get any bigger or smaller with speed, unlike all the regular bullets.

Chainsaw sounds are complicated :P

M79, LAW, Knife, Chainsaw, and shotty do not work with regular bullets (bullettype=1)

Guns that fire regular bullets can fire anything but stationary gun, which is invisible.

Only Deagles can fire dual shots.

If a weapon is automatic, you cannot change that.

The guns that cannot fire regulare bullettypes can fire each others bullets however. (law can shoot m79 nades, shotgun pellets)

GLITCH: make a law fire shotgun pellets, with a delay of 30 and 10 ammo, aim at the ground, and hold down fire. whne you get high enough in the air, you will just fire shotgun pellets around like crazy.

the maximum amount of bullets you can set as ammo is 250 before it gets weird.

Hope all the info i have provided helps.

quote:Originally posted by nfsjunkie91And some more information:

Let's say you made a bunch of guns that look nothing like the originals, and you want to make sure you can get their names across. Here's what you do.
1.look for the folder txt.
2.copy it and then paste it in your mods folder.
3.open weaponnames.txt
4.Change weapons names to match whatever gun you have replaced them with.
And there you go.

Another thing, that may be a little hard, is to open the languages folder within txt, and change how the weapons appear under the options tab in soldat.

so for instance, you open english.txt in notepad and do a search for eagles and you find it, right at the top of the list:
quote:
Eagles
Mp5
Ak74
Steyr
Spas 12
Ruger
M79
Barret
Minimi
Minigun
SOCOM
Knife
Chainsaw
LAW

You can then change all these names, and it will change in the options tab under soldat.
ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE MODIFYING, UNLESS YOU PUT IT IN A MOD FOLDER.
If you had a science fiction mod or such, it may look like:
quote:
Blasters
Repeater
A. Laser
A.R. 30
E Spread
Laser
Grav-Gun
Railgun
Hvy Lsr
Hvy Bit
E Gun
E Sword
Ripper
E. Shot

If you do change them, make sure to keep the names short.

Ok, NOW we covered everything :D

Drink Bloody Water
January 22, 2006, 2:26 pm
How do you make a mod server??????

Admin note: Please read previous posts before asking questions

nfsjunkie91
January 28, 2006, 9:56 pm
ok, start a server, make a weapons mod using the info provided in earlier pages of this topic, then when you have run the server, make sure you are logged in as an admin and type /loadwep x
where x is the name of the mod you made, without the .ini

as a matter of fact, YOU could have read this in the earlier pags of this topic, or posted in the HELP section of thiese forums. and don't double post.

-Aaron-
February 12, 2006, 12:21 am
 Quote:Originally posted by nfsjunkie912 things
A)you have soldat 1.2.1
B)jsut reinstall soldat, you may have deleted a file.

I have the weapons121 too, I re instaled the new soldat and I still have that stupid weapons121, before I updated to the new soldat I had the weapons.ini file and could mod weapons but now I can't. I need some more help please. Thanks.

Aaron

nfsjunkie91
February 28, 2006, 3:10 am
once again, did you reinstall soldat? that should solve everything right there.

Fluffy~Lemming
March 13, 2006, 11:03 pm
I've reinstalled soldat several times and I still only have a weapons121. Is there any way you can MOD from the 121?

mike323
March 13, 2006, 11:09 pm
You need to copy 'weapons121' and rename it to a mod title of your choice. Then open that copied weapons file with notepad and edit the values to your liking.

Fluffy~Lemming
March 14, 2006, 3:10 pm
Do I need to rename it somthing.ini?

Future
April 7, 2006, 6:32 pm
Yeh if u guys like modded servers n stuff tip come 2 my modded server for fun crazy mods server name sould be futures modz lmao n if u got xfire add me lol emptyclips12 <------ Xfire

nfsjunkie91
May 25, 2006, 9:40 pm
Err. yeah, about that. Advertise in server advertisements, not on the modding topic.

@-Aaron, if you're still here, I can upload my default weapons.ini if you need it.

rokas
June 5, 2006, 3:12 am
can u make a ruger with a laser that laser line shows where bullet will go ? is it possible? if it is write me to oasisinternet@hotmail.com