December 14, 2005, 10:52 pm
1. Download the needed applications.
Download the dedicated server from this link: [URL]

You'll also need a program to command it:
- Soldat Admin (Official Program)
- ARSSE (By KeFear)
- SARJ (By Rusty)

2. Edit the config files
If your server is not running on your PC: Download ´soldat.ini´, ´mapslist.txt´, ´lobby_server.txt´ and ´remote.txt´ via FTP and store them somewhere on your PC.

If your Server is hosted locally open the above mentioned files with notepad or a Linux equivalent program. The files are located in the folder where you extracted the Soldat Server to.

3. Editing the SOldat.ini file
This is the main configuration file for your server.
Almoast everything will be set here.

Here's a list of all items in the ini file with a description (Behind the #)

[GAME]
Fullscreen=1 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Debug_Mode=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Console_Show=1 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Console_Deaths=1 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Respawn_Time=60 #Respawn time in deathmatch modes (except team deathmatch), 60 is one second, so enter 300 for five seconds, for example.
WaveRespawn_Time=300 #Respawn times in CTF, INF and TDM
Mouse_Sensitivity=70 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Play_Music=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Deathmatch_Limit=30 #The necessary frag limit which must be reached to win the round
Pointmatch_Limit=30 #The necessary point limit which must be reached to win the round
Teammatch_Limit=60 #The necessary frag limit which must be reached to win the round
Capture_Limit=30 #The necessary flag capture limit which must be reached to win the round
Rambomatch_Limit=30 #The necessary frag limit which must be reached to win the round
Infiltration_Limit=90 #The necessary point limit which must be reached to win the round
GameStyle=3 #sets the game mode: 0=Deatmatch, 1=Pointmatch, 2=Teamdeathmatch, 3=Capture the flag, 4=Rambotmatch, 5=Infiltration
Friendly_Fire=0 #sets the possibility to hurt teammates on(1), or off(0)
Guns_Collide=1 #sets if weapons that lie around bounce(1), or not(0), when being hit by bullets
Kits_Collide=1 #sets, if bonuses are affected by the physics(1), or not(0)
Play_Intro=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Loop_Maps=1 #sets, if the server restarts the map circle after playing the last map(1) or if it shuts down(0)
Bonus_Frequency=2 #the intervall of bonuses occuring ingame. 0 switches bonuses off, 5 means a quite short interval
Bonus_FlameGod=0 #sets, if the flamer bonus is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Bonus_Predator=0 #sets, if the predator bonus is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Bonus_Berserker=1 #sets, if the berserk bonus is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Bonus_Vest=1 #sets, if the bulletproof vest bonus is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Bonus_Cluster=1 #sets, if the cluster grenades bonus is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Time_Limit=30 #sets the timelimit in minutes. If the limit is reached, the round will be ended automatically
Survival_Mode=0 #sets, if the mode ´Survival´ (Last Man Standing) is activated. Not available in all game modes.
Realistic_Mode=0 #sets, if the game is played in realistic mode(1) or not(0)
Weapon_1=1 #decides, if the weapon ´Desert Eagles´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_2=1 #decides, if the weapon ´HK MP5´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_3=1 #decides, if the weapon ´AK-74´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_4=1 #decides, if the weapon ´SteyrAUG´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_5=1 #decides, if the weapon ´Spas 12´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_6=1 #decides, if the weapon ´Ruger 77´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_7=1 #decides, if the weapon ´M79´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_8=1 #decides, if the weapon ´Barret M82A1´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_9=1 #decides, if the weapon ´FM Minimi´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_10=1 #decides, if the weapon ´XM214 Minigun´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_11=1 #decides, if the weapon ´USSOCOM´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_12=1 #decides, if the weapon ´Combat Knife´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_13=1 #decides, if the weapon ´Chainsaw´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Weapon_14=1 #decides, if the weapon ´LAW´ is available ingame(1), or not(0)
Max_Grenades=5 #Sets the max number of grenades a player can carry, 0=none 5=five grenades (max)
Random_Bots=0 #number of randomly added bots in deathmatch modes
Random_Bots_1=0 #number of randomly added bots on Team 1 in INF, CTF and TDM
Random_Bots_2=0 #number of randomly added bots on Team 1 in INF, CTF and TDM
Random_Bots_3=0 #number of randomly added bots on Team 1 in TDM
Random_Bots_4=0 #number of randomly added bots on Team 1 in TDM
Runs=1 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Profile_Default=1 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Logging=1 #switches Logging = documentation of everything that happens on(1) or off(0)
Stationary_Guns=1 #makes stationary guns available ingame(1) or disables them(0) (only on maps that support them)

[GRAPHICS]
#all graphic settings do not matter to the server. Just leave them as they are

[SOUND]
#all sound settings do not matter to the server. Just leave them as they are

[NETWORK]
Port=23073 #The port your server runs on, and player have to connect to. If it?s a rent server, you must use the port set by your server provider.
JoinPort=23073 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Max_Players=10 #Max. number of players that can play on your server. Cannot be greater than the number of slots given by your server provider. If you?re hosting locally, the ideal number depends on your upstream.
Default_Remote_Host= #leave it empty or if your server is reachable via a domain, you can type the domain in here.
Game_Password= #If your game shall be passworded, you can enter the password here (case sensitive). If it`s a rented server, you must fulfill your serverprovider?s settings here
Admin_Password=SomePW #case sensitive admin password, needed for a game admin to login. You NEED to fill something in here, otherwise the server won?t start.
Connection=Internet #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Lobby_Register=0 #sets, if your server is being registered on the lobby(1), or not(0)
ASE_Register=0 #By now, this function is not supported, so just leave it as it is.
Lobby_IP=lobby.soldat.pl #The lobby server address/IP. Current one: lobby.soldat.pl
Server_Name=SomeServer #Enter the name of your server here
Dedicated=1 #sets, if the server is dedicated(1), or not(0)
Clanmatch=0 #switches clanmatch mode on(1) or off(0). Clanmatch mode forces players to wear the team colors, to make it easier to differ between the teams.
Internet_Connection=2 #connection of your server, 1=Modem, 2=DSL, 3=T1
Greeting_Message=Hello #The message the players see when entering your server
Server_Info=www.selfkill.com #Enter your server or other informations here, which will shown on http://lobby.soldat.pl:13073/ then (only if Lobby_Register=1)
ShowRealLag=1 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Min_Ping=0 #The minimum ping a player must have to play on your server
Max_Ping=500 #The maximum ping a player can have to play on your server
Filter_Players=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Filter_Gametype=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Filter_Dedicated=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Filter_NoPassword=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Filter_NoBots=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Filter_Survival=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Filter_Realistic=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Filter_NoBonuses=0 #does not matter to the server. Just leave it as it is
Balance_Teams=0 #sets team balacing on(1) or off(0), good for publics, not useful in a clanwar, because the smaller team always gets the new players who join
Dont_Forward=0 #Switch this on(1), if you are running the server on a firewall protected machine. The firewall must still allow access to the needed ports (13073 and the set gameports). Deactivate(0) this on a rented server.
Vote_Percent=33 #Percentage of players who need to vote for server actions (kicks, mapchanges) being executed
Compression=2 #compression of the network code to enable the fastest play possible. Leave this on (2).
Spectator=0 #enables spectating on a server(1), or disables it(0)
Max_Spectators=3 #If spectating is activated, you can set the number of specators here
Spectator_Chat=1 #makes chatting possible for spectators(1), or disables it(0)

[PLAYER]
#all player settings do not matter to the server. Just leave them as they are

[CONTROLS]
#all control settings do not matter to the server. Just leave them as they are

[BOTS]
Difficulty=10 #sets skill level of the bots: 300=stupid, 200=poor, 100=normal, 50=hard, 10=impossible
Chat=1 #allows the bots to say random chat messages(1), or mutes them(0)
Raycasting_Quality=5 #sets seeing quality of the bots, 6=very bad, 10=bad, 12=normal, 15=good

When you have finished setting up the Soldat.ini your server is already ready to run , but I suggest you go on with the next to optimize your server a bit more.

4. Editing the mapslist.txt file
This file contains the mapcycle for your server.
It starts at the top and ends at the bottom.

Example:
ctf_B2b
ctf_Death
ctf_Run

etc.
don?t forget, the mapnames are CaSe SeNsItIvE. Make sure you don't have spaces in your file or blank lines.

The maps should also suit the set gamemode in the Soldat.ini. Do not forget, they have a pretag (except for deathmatch mode maps). ctf_=ctf Maps, inf_= infiltration maps. You can also run maps that are not in the mapslist.txt via admin command (/map Name), if the map is in the maps folder on the server.

5. Editing lobby_servers.txt
This should only be done if Soldat has changed it's Soldat Lobby IP. Otherwise this should be left in the way it was downloaded from the Soldat.pl site.

6. Final touches
If your server is hosted remotely (Not on your PC) you'll need to save the files and upload them back to the main server where your Soldat Dedicated Server is hosted at. You can use an FTp program like AceFTP Freeware , CuteFTP , ... for this.

If your server is hosted locally (on your PC) you'll need to save the files and then you're already done.

UPDATES:
- DePhille - 10th of January , 2006 : Wrote the whole guide , mostly rephrased content from selfkill.com

Snipedmyself
December 30, 2005, 8:13 pm
scattered thoughts:

keep your pass word a secret. it can be used very maliciously. make your pass unobvious.

after your server says it is registered make sure you can see it in the lobby by going to the lobby website if it suppose to be an internet server. this will also let you know that the maxplayer, gametype and all that gear is set up correctly.

alomost everyone will agree on this one: use a server program, not the server program that comes with soldat.

make sure you set a max ping. normal server: 300 "lag free": 150

make sure anti-cheat is on.

soldat server bots can help alot. they can kick hackers and tell you when u r needed.

Fresh
January 6, 2006, 10:29 am
quote:Originally posted by Snipedmyselfscattered thoughts:

alomost everyone will agree on this one: use a server program, not the server program that comes with soldat.

For Example? :)

DePhille
January 10, 2006, 7:18 pm
I rephrased the selfkill guide on setting up a server.

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
January 21, 2006, 11:24 pm
I have a little problem: Whenever I host a server, the port number goes crazy. (its over 60000) And people can t join into it. Is there a way to fix this?

I use Windows XP Home, im cheap :/
i also have firewall stuff and a router

im not that good with computers :(

Ok
January 22, 2006, 12:59 pm
Before anyone goes nuts and bash the guy for asking question.
This is very legit and very usefull! by asking question like this we can make the guide even more usefull.
So if anyone has an answer to mister cooler there, please answer.

Ender
February 11, 2006, 7:36 pm
The information in this thread has been incorporated in the following articles:
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]
[URL]

slavikh
February 28, 2006, 7:42 pm
Listen guyz i have a HUGE problem.
Well i started the server as i need to but every time my friends or I try to log in all it says is "Requesting Game".
Will any one wish to help? i need an answer A.S.A.P cuz i really wanna start my own server.
thank you:
DarkBlood

DePhille
February 28, 2006, 9:48 pm
Well first of all this isn't the right place to ask.
But since you're new I'll just let that slip , next time post your question in the appropriate forum.

The problem might be that you or your friend are behind a firewall or router. If you have Norton , ZoneAlarm , Windows Firewall , ... running you might try turning it off. If you have a router then you must forward the Soldat Ports 23073 and 23083 if I'm right.
If your friend AND you are behind a router then I guess it won't work.

If this idn't help you try using the search function (TOP) and look for "Stuck requesting game" or something like that describing your problem.

Grtz , DePhille