( search forums )
Forum Update...
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
DePhille
December 15, 2005, 3:03 pm
Hi,

Since the new 1.3.1 the forums look old and not up to date:

1) The logo's color does not match with the right bar. This ain't my PC since I checked it on 4PC's and they all have it. I fixed the image so it matches the rest of the header: logo.gif

2) Under the Official links category on the main page there's this link: 'Download latest version of Soldat: v1.3'.
Should be: Download latest version of Soldat: v1.3.1

3) Under the category 'Soldat Talk' :
'List of common Bugs, Problems and Questions' links to an out-of-date post.

4) Also under the Category 'Soldat Talk' :
The description of the forum called 'Need Help? Report Bugs!':
Need help with Soldat 1.3, or have a Soldat-related question? Post here. Be sure to read the RULES and FAQ before posting. Please submit all Soldat 1.3 Bugs here.
Should be:
Need help with Soldat , or have a Soldat-related question? Post here. Be sure to read the RULES and FAQ before posting. Please submit all Soldat 1.3.1 Bugs here.
* The underlined text 'here' also reffers to an old 1.3 Bug submission thread.

5) Still in Soldat Talk:
Description of the forum called 'Soldat FAQs'
All the common Soldat questions. All in one place. (Updated for v1.1.x)
shouldn't that 'Updated for v1.1.x' be removed?

6) A suggestion:
Can you re-open the Oldies forum?
Some people have been asking to talk about earlier versions.
Also , this would take of some steam when a new version is released.

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
December 15, 2005, 3:50 pm
Oldies forum was shut because nobody used it. If it gets opened again, it will be used for a little while then will be abandoned to star hunters again.

b00stA
December 15, 2005, 4:50 pm
1) Which bar do you mean? Could you make a screenshot and point at it?
2) Changed.
3) I won't remove the link because the topic still holds interesting information.
4) Changed.
5) Changed.
6) As Stalky said, it will just die again.

mar77a
December 15, 2005, 4:57 pm
He means the filler doesnt match teh logo bg color.

Deleted User
December 15, 2005, 5:25 pm
Does for me. :/

DePhille
December 15, 2005, 5:26 pm
Okay.

The forum diffrences:
http://www.soldatforums.com/images/logo/merrychristmassoldat6yj.png does not match with the top header. The Christmas theme image is slightly lighter than the header.
Image with the diffrence expalined: Download
Correct image: Download
I edited the image so it fits as good as possible with the bar again , to download it click the link after "Correct Image".
Now that I copied the link to the current image I've seen that is a PNG. PNG's are really not good for websites , they take up too much space for their quality. Gifs are the best choice if you do not want to tweak with JPEG. The onlt thing you have to do is save the .gif files in a program that does it well (Photoshop for example) and not paint.

About the oldies forum: If it ends up with star hunting why not disabling the Increase postcount? And if it dies then , why lock it? If it is unlocked atleast the people will post there instead of requests to open a forum for each version in the General Discussion forum. This would also catch up some steam of the angry users when a new version is released. They'll talk about the previous versions instead of whining about the new one.

mar77a: The blue bar doesn't match either , but I think you saw that too :)

Grtz , DePhille

Elephant_Hunter
December 15, 2005, 5:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by mar77aHe means the filler doesnt match teh logo bg color.

This is caused by a bug in Internet Explorer where it displays PNG background images darker than they should be. I've experienced the problem before. The only way to fix it is to use the JPG or GIF format for the filler.

quote:Originally posted by DePhilleOkay.
Now that I copied the link to the current image I've seen that is a PNG. PNG's are really not good for websites , they take up too much space for their quality. Gifs are the best choice if you do not want to tweak with JPEG. The onlt thing you have to do is save the .gif files in a program that does it well (Photoshop for example) and not paint.

The part about PNG images taking up too much space is not true. I don't know where you get your information, but the PNG format was created to replace the outdated GIF. GIF images are space hogs for anything not black and white, and they have nill support for alpha transparency.

DePhille
December 15, 2005, 5:36 pm
Oh and also:
Remove DNA.Styx from the moderator lists ;)

And yes, thats a IE bug , I tested it on 4PCs with IE , they worked fine with Firefox.
Anyway , IE still is the standard wether you like it or not ;o

Oh and BTW: That HERE link in the description of 'Need Help? Report Bugs!' still links to a 1.3 submission thread. should be the 1.3.1 submission thread: http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=29954

Grtz , DePhille

Elephant_Hunter
December 15, 2005, 5:44 pm
You would be correct to say that IE is the most used browser. You are wrong that it's a standard. In fact, 20% of the people browsing these forums use Firefox (Browser Statistics). That's quite a bit.

...another thing. I don't understand DePhille and mar77a. You are both intelligent programmers. Do you not consider that there are other browsers out there that may support standards better than IE? The first thing that comes to my mind when a web page is displayed incorrectly in Internet Explorer is to view it in a different browser. I even go the extra mile and look up the information regarding standards.

It's backwards to cripple your web page for a five year-old bug ridden browser. I build my web page in Firefox and then use conditional comments to give Explorer any css/javascript fixes that it may need. It just doesn't make sense to do it the other way around =/

DePhille
December 15, 2005, 5:57 pm
To go offtopic (While b00sta is away ;) ):

Thanks for calling me an intelligent programmer :)
But , most programmers think exactly the opposite.
Internet explorer is given with Windows , windows is the most used OS. Therefor , most of the people have IE. I'm not saying they use it but most people do have IE.
Also , Firefox is the buggy browser , not IE. Try doing some CSS tags and you'll see that IE understands them where Firefox doesn't (I had it with Font and Font-Color tags , they're both correct but FieFox only showed one of them correctly). That's an example I found 2 days ago , I have tons of such examples (</form> , <input type="..." size="buggy"> , ...).
Opera is by far the best browser , it uses the IE engine (Well it was using it when I used Opera , dunno for now) , it has tabs and understands as much as IE (even has some bug-fixes).
Another note: You cannot really trust those statistics: Sometimes it registers Opera as IE , they just mix up alot (so make that 20%-25% that uses Firefox)

If you don't beleive about the browsers:
Make a site in IE , then make one in Firefox.
Then run them on both browsers. You'll see that IE runs them both while Firefox will fck one up)

Grtz, DePhille

Elephant_Hunter
December 15, 2005, 6:08 pm
I guess you have some sort of unknown source for your implication that I think backwards -.-

If Opera sometimes registers as IE, that tips the odds in my favor even more. Opera has awesome compatibility with web standards. So does Firefox. I have not heard of the bug you referenced to. Give me a working example (a web page). From what I have read, most likely Explorer displayed the css incorrectly, and you thought that was how all browsers should act.

As for the statistics: Maybe I watch too much CSI (every weekday, especially on Thursday night :P), but evidence does not lie.

DePhille
December 15, 2005, 7:13 pm
Okay, about the evidence:
HTML: </form> inserts a blank line in IE and opera, FF does not.
CSS: #menu {font: 10px Verdana #FF00FF;} -> IE shows the colro and all , FF requires this code: #menu{font-family: verdana; font-size: 10px; font-color: #FF00FF;} but they're both valid CSS tags.

As for Opera and the statistics , you're right , it tips the odss in your favor.
That's why I said 20-25% uses FF instead of 20% as the statistics said ;) , same goes for opera.

Elephant_Hunter
December 15, 2005, 8:51 pm
Before we can get a good heated debate started, you go and prove my point. Gah!

Why CSI rocks (and neither css tag you sent me displays correctly in IE) - Here

Summed up: there is no "font-color" property.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention that </font> is not a complete tag. If I replaced it with <font> </font>, it would be an empty tag. W3C has no standard on how to display this.

rabidhamster
December 15, 2005, 9:50 pm
lol, programmer fight!

Deleted User
December 15, 2005, 11:11 pm
[IMAGE]

vash763
December 15, 2005, 11:30 pm
Safari displays it fine

IE sucks

FliesLikeABrick
December 16, 2005, 12:10 am
dear god, when did imageshack get this slow?

vash763
December 16, 2005, 1:12 am
I know, it took me forever.

I figured it was just because I was down stairs, on the other side of the house.

DePhille
December 16, 2005, 2:32 pm
Elephant_hunter: I don't have the exact source-code anymore (I updated it) but I do have evidence (CSI-FIGHT!! ;) ) , got to http://ht.u13.net scroll down in the shoutbox to the errr.... Dunno which postnumber but here is the containment and date:
12-01 16:16:49
DePhille: Yeah , FF was being picky on the CSS tags. Maybe I should release the sourcecode? I also have IRC logs where the matter gets highlighted , dunno if it contains the sourcecode but there KaotiK said "It displays fine in IE tho" ;)

bout the image: IE sucks! (well , not sucks but it is definitely an IE bug :))
Opera>IE=FF , but that's my opinion.

Melba
December 16, 2005, 3:00 pm
Why isn't the filler and banner the same colour as the forum background?

mar77a
December 16, 2005, 3:26 pm
See Elephant? And thanks for the programmer thing :D

Anyways, i knew it had to do with the .png format and IE because i use both IE and Firefox.

Echo_Trail
December 16, 2005, 4:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by StalkyOldies forum was shut because nobody used it. If it gets opened again, it will be used for a little while then will be abandoned to star hunters again.

well, you could just make it one of those forums, where you don't gain points for posting.
I'd like it to reopen.. I dunno much about the old versions, and i'd like to..
I think this is a great idea, and i'm 100% for it..

?
December 16, 2005, 5:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickdear god, when did imageshack get this slow?

www.tinypic.com <3

anyway I think another change should be apointing me mod of something!

mar77a
December 16, 2005, 6:21 pm
#m00net > ALL

Soulsnipa
December 16, 2005, 6:27 pm
what about the ugly logout button

vash763
December 17, 2005, 9:20 am
yes, very ugly

I'm not to fond of the folder icons either

?
December 17, 2005, 4:59 pm
I want a pink backround...

DePhille
December 17, 2005, 5:34 pm
We'll make a God and Jezus-styled look for ya (:P) , but not a pink one :)

Grtz , DePhille

frogboy
December 18, 2005, 6:29 am
quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipawhat about the ugly logout button
For some reason, the log out button is compressed badly (Paint?), but the login button is fine.

Comparison:
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

DePhille
December 18, 2005, 9:34 am
Haha yes indeed.
When I get back on my PC (and I remember this topic) I'll make some new buttons and suggest them here.
They'll be in .gif format , not .PNG ;)

Grtz , DePhille

mar77a
December 18, 2005, 6:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by frogboyquote:Originally posted by Soulsnipawhat about the ugly logout button
For some reason, the log out button is compressed badly (Paint?), but the login button is fine.

Comparison:
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

the other way round