( search forums )
Movable Terrain/Objects
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Outer God
December 17, 2005, 8:57 am
Just a small suggestion i've always wanted to see in soldat, but how about terrain/objects that can move? like an elevator or lift. i guess this idea is similar to the whole vehicle thing, but at least the objects will move in a set, predictable pattern.

Take an elevator for example: when someone's in one, they just have their character overlap the controls for it and press up or down and they'll move in that direction. plus, having an elevator or any other type of movable object would open up the possibility of new, more interesting levels, like urban environments (it'd be cool to see some urban warfare in soldat). i'm not just suggesting elevators here, but i reckon it'd be good.

And how about objects that players can interact with, like shooting explosive barrels (maybe add an option to have the barrels respawn), firing through glass, etc.

Just an idea, or a couple i should say. not sure how difficult it'd be to add though.

numgun
December 17, 2005, 11:51 am
i hope this gets implemented...

coz i rly wanna see ''crusher'' polys. xD

Michal
December 17, 2005, 3:27 pm
Actually, I would really like the ability to make moving polygons. Elevators are a great idea, especially for a map with no jets... It could work with a new polytype and a simplified waypoints system (like for bots).
I really wouldn't want to see whole chunks of maps moving around, but I guess that's up to the mapper...

zyxstand
December 17, 2005, 3:35 pm
might produce lag (though i don think so) - but it'd be hard to implement since it would require a whole new polygon rendering technique. i dont' want to think too much about the problems of this idea because i would really like to see this!

Deleted User
December 17, 2005, 10:28 pm
Good idea, just very hard. I however, support it. Anything to make the maps more fun. Climbing maps would seriously get more indepth with polys now moving back and forth, like on some old snes games, where you had to wait for the poly to move your way, so you could jump onto it and move on.

~AcE~
December 18, 2005, 4:56 am
I would love this.

Elevators, floor-traps, more strategic play, more variety in maps.
Sure it would be hard, but it would be worth it!

Keron Cyst
December 18, 2005, 5:22 am
Awesome. For now, you can just use polygonal trampolines...

Kaider
December 18, 2005, 5:37 am
quote:Originally posted by MichalActually, I would really like the ability to make moving polygons. Elevators are a great idea, especially for a map with no jets... It could work with a new polytype and a simplified waypoints system (like for bots).
I really wouldn't want to see whole chunks of maps moving around, but I guess that's up to the mapper...

I agree, even though I have no idea how to waypoint.

EmperorofChoas
December 18, 2005, 7:10 am
wow....ur giving hope to people who want vehicles...cuz if this happens its one more step closer to vehicles

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 12:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by EmperorofChoaswow....ur giving hope to people who want vehicles...cuz if this happens its one more step closer to vehicles

Moving polygons make it quite a possibility. Make a tank out of several poly's, Set them to move, if its made so you can make polys move when you're ontop of them and they move to the buttons you designate them to move with, and there you go. A moving tank. Just set the bottom poly's to like no player collide so you dont run people over. :F Throw a stat gun on the front to provide some of its firepower.

Outer God
December 21, 2005, 8:50 am
glad ppl like the idea, though, just as i thought, it sounds like a hard thing to implement. ah well, hope u guys put it in anyway.

Kyklis
December 21, 2005, 10:02 pm
I'ts not really a step towards veihicles. Moving polygons is much different then a new kind of object, that you can enter, drive around, have different seats to use, ect.

But good idea. This would be very fun to play with.

SouL AssassiN
December 21, 2005, 10:41 pm
damn i really think it'd be cool, that idea of the helly.. nice one... well.. KUDGI!!!

LUNATIC COW
December 22, 2005, 1:12 am
Or maybe move sand bags to make a reasonable and useable bunker.

Outer God
December 22, 2005, 11:15 am
oh yeh, it'd be good to have doors and shutters too, and u can blow em up with explosive weapons. it'll add a good defensive element in the tactics department.

KCCT00kie
December 22, 2005, 3:17 pm
Should be possible to make better Mario maps! yay! >.<