( search forums )
New Map Features
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Michal
December 17, 2005, 9:42 pm
Pretty much all these ideas have been suggested before in one way or another, but I really think they would improve Soldat.

-Background Polygons
Simply, polygons that go behind the gostek.
Would be very useful for buildings, tunnels, columns, etc.
The use of large custom sceneries would be minimized.
It would not be good for adding scenic backgrounds...
Probably the easiest to implement out of all these ideas...

-Water Polygons
Pretty self explainatory...
I think it would be a worthwhile addition, it would add a new dimension to the game.
Around half of custom maps already have some type of water imitation in them,
it would be nice if this water could have the right physics.
Would be very difficult to implement I think, or at least very time consuming...

-Hard/Soft Polygons
There should be two types of ground polygons.
->Hard polygons, pretty much what we have now.
Used for stone, metal, etc.
->Soft polygons, these would cause no ricochets, more sluggish movement,
and lower falling damage in realistic.
Used for sand, mud, dirt, etc.

I'm sure if any of these things were implemented in Soldat, Anna would have no problem putting the required features in PolyWorks ;)

_Mancer_
December 17, 2005, 9:51 pm
Ive always thought these were good ideas. I think the mapmaker enhancenments are the next step in soldat.

Echo_Trail
December 17, 2005, 9:58 pm
I like the first and the last one especially..
The first one. Lately i have seen some pretty good looking maps. Mapmakers are gettng really skilled, and i'm porud on behalf of'em :P It is clear, that imagination is not the limiting factor on this matter, options is. this would be nice. Map makers could use this, and further their beautiful art of mapping.

The middle one. I like this, but until water is "animated", i think it would really just be in the way. Water should make waves when entering, and splashes when firing into it. Is it really that har to animate(doesn't really have to be more than a 2flick white star, showing when something enters water)? I don't know nothng about this though..

The last would be nice for sneaking up on enemy. it'd also give a little more challenge to it, selecting which way to go. I think this would be a great feature.
echo out

Soulsnipa
December 17, 2005, 9:59 pm
Around half of custom maps already have some type of water imitation in them,

psshhh...try more like 10%

and what about shifting polygons...we could definitly make a climbing map then!

Deleted User
December 17, 2005, 11:03 pm
Yes, I actually wanted to post a list of features to add, you beat me to it. Other features Ive found to be worthwhile...Some of these may be controversial, so dont take them as the original idea of the thread. Im merely contributing.

- Warping Polygons

Highly customizable to prevent abuse. Totally new style of levels can be introduced with the creation of warping polygons.

- Moving Polygons (As mentioned above)

Self Explanitory mostly, but people never thought of the idea of being able to make vehicles using moving polygons. You could make a tank out of 10-15 polys, have it move around and slap stationary gun ontop of it, BAM you have yourself a mediocre tank. Controls for poly's you're standing on could be implemented, so elevators, you press a certain key and it goes up. To move Tanks, make seperate controls with an indepth edit feature on the polygons to move right or left. Only thing we need, are the polys. Planes can be made too, although they would be extremely difficult, maybe impossible to make something seen as decent.

- Dynamic Polygons

Simply put, polygons that can be affected by bullets, etc...The possibility of implementing this, I question, but things such as windows, barriers you have to break, etc... could be introduced. Not exactly useful, but not exactly useless, either.

- Gravitational polygons (Read possibilities)

This, was never looked at as the greatest idea on earth, but if you think deeply, some nice things can be done using these sorts of polygons. For example, if you wanted to make a shoot that launches you from one place to another to take the place of the teleporting polygons, just make a narrow tunnel that winds around, and have the polygons on both sides set to a very high gravity, constricting yourself to the very center, and have some sort of force launch you hard enough so you could go through all of this, it would direct you through the tunnels perfectly. A fast invisible moving polygon, something of that nature, if that were implemented as well. This idea, is not the greatest though. Not really needed for anything more then fun purposes.

----------

- More Stat guns

Self explanitory. Really, the map maker needs a bigger variety of stationary guns. Instead of just one boring machine gun, have some slow firing cannons brought into there, maybe some small variety of stationary guns, such as slow, powerful shooting ones, or fast but weak shooting ones. Im not good with guns so help me out on that subject. :S

And thats all the ideas I have for now...

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 11:05 pm
I still like the idea of scripted polygons, and I still think my interactive polygons idea laid out in there is feasible, albeit still very difficult to implement. Oh yeah, one thing I never did mention in my post there was that the "interactive polygons" would be invisible and passable during gameplay--they'd just be there solely for the scripting.

As for the thread's original suggestions, I pretty much agree on all three. Background polygons are overdue I imagine, water would add a new dimension to gameplay, and the same goes for the soft polygons. I'm afraid there really isn't much more to be said about it, though.

Saint-Cross
December 18, 2005, 11:32 pm
Those would be fun additions to Soldat. ^_^

DeLarge
December 19, 2005, 1:18 am
Hey Saint!

Oh, and I approve this.

Kaider
December 19, 2005, 1:20 am
Ya, map makers deserve an update. (I'm not a map maker, I just beta test maps and mods for other soldatens). Being a beta tester for other people's maps, it would be fun to see the early editions of the polies and how they are used. I like these ideas.

rabidhamster
December 19, 2005, 6:48 am
"...Background Polygons..."

YES! i asked MM about this on the interview, but he just thought i was talking about parallax polies. tsk tsk, being a programmer he should've understood, but i'll cut him some slack because he's polish.