( search forums )
How to play the m79...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
.JeT
December 18, 2005, 7:49 pm
Ive been playing recently and have been hearing so much [CENSORED]! If you are getting owned with a m79 dont pick one up and try to join them! Take a ranged gun (i use the steyr/barrett) and once you see one coming start backing up (when your using the steyr) and stay up in the air too should take him down while hes reloading. If your using a barrett, not much technique in this one, just have to have good aim. I just showed up about 4 people complaining about the m79 by just having a good shot. Dont be a pussey either, if you dont have anywhere to retreat too, get in his face and make him a ragdoll. Now quit whining and go play!

.alex.oner.
December 18, 2005, 8:17 pm
!!!

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 8:18 pm
agreed

DeLarge
December 18, 2005, 8:29 pm
Guys, no one-word letters. They are a sub-topic to spam.

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 9:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by .JeTIve been playing recently and have been hearing so much [CENSORED]! If you are getting owned with a m79 dont pick one up and try to join them! Take a ranged gun (i use the steyr/barrett) and once you see one coming start backing up (when your using the steyr) and stay up in the air too should take him down while hes reloading. If your using a barrett, not much technique in this one, just have to have good aim. I just showed up about 4 people complaining about the m79 by just having a good shot. Dont be a pussey either, if you dont have anywhere to retreat too, get in his face and make him a ragdoll. Now quit whining and go play!

....My god, we have a freaking genius in the forums. Im not being sarcastic, you are the first person ive ever seen so far make a LOGICAL statement on how to properly kill an m79. You sir, have earned my respect. Versatility is a soldiers greatest weapon.

One tip though: Dont get in his face....you're asking to have him get an easy shot off of you. Keep your distance, screen distance atleast, its impossible for him to hit you unless he has a serious height advantage or makes use of his secondary.

Keron Cyst
December 18, 2005, 9:38 pm
*agrees with DeLarge*

Heck, you don't even need a monitor's distance; the M79 can only fly so high, and besides, if you're in the air, you also get bonus strength due to most of your shots hitting the foe's head.

Projectiles love gravity. Always remember that.

Dark_Noddy
December 18, 2005, 11:03 pm
What will the world come to !

he has 21 Posts and he says "Now quit whining and go play!" :o Thats liek all wrong !
With a postcount below 250 you should say "I HATE THIS [CENSORED]TY GAME AND HOPE U ALL BURN IN HELL FFS n00bs !!"

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 11:06 pm
I've never said that...

Anyway, I have noticed alot of that crap... Using the same weapon to take them down. That's probably why I have to put up with fighting against 6 (out of 7) Reds with m79's.

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 11:10 pm
Thats what I said Keron. M79s have a nack for hitting you if they're on the ground and you're touching the ceiling though. Keeping a good distance and height from him can make it impossible for his shots to reach you, thus the impossible to hit you part.

:::Well Mister Angry, some people dont have any intelligence or common sense. They decide that if they're being pwned by the same weapon over and over, if they use the same thing, they must be able to do it as well with little difficulty. The one thing people have to realize, is that two people going against eachother with the same weapon, its the more skilled fighter that wins, theres no other determining factor other than the skill of each player. Using your advantages can make it impossible for the other person to win.

KeFear
December 19, 2005, 12:23 am
well, there is sense in it, and i aggree. by the way there was a way in 1.2.1 to eliminate barrets in 1v1 battles. And it was thanks to bink. I hated bink that time cos it affected my precious ruger so much, but when it came to a 1v1 duel against barret, i picked mp5 and *whaaam*. If i managed to shoot first, the barretard had not much chance. Actually, self-bink later killed this.

Saint-Cross
December 19, 2005, 12:38 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cyst*agrees with DeLarge*

Heck, you don't even need a monitor's distance; the M79 can only fly so high, and besides, if you're in the air, you also get bonus strength due to most of your shots hitting the foe's head.

Projectiles love gravity. Always remember that.

The m79 = Pwnt when you're above the guy w/ the m79.People just need to learn that the m79 can't shoot up, so stay above them.

lieroguy
December 19, 2005, 7:32 am
Holy cow, I've been saying this same stuff since I got here.

If you can't beat an M79, you're retarded.

headstone
December 19, 2005, 12:29 pm
I find AK the best for anti-m79, because it does well at long range. I was playing a game yesterday and pretty much either m79 from aplha or AK74 from my team, beta.

Just stay away from him, most of a screen. Learn the timing of the reolad, and get above him right when he's going to fire. Normally they don't wait for the best possible shot, they just fire when the gun is ready. After they shoot, you can become more aggressive, move closer, throw nades. And when using the AK74, make sure to hold the button for 3 shots, then release and hold again, so you can get a straight shot at his head without losing rate of fire.

If he's coming at you (but normally they make like targets), don't run back all the way to your base. Wait till he fires and fly over (or dash under) him, firing all the while.

GARAoftheDESERT
December 19, 2005, 2:39 pm
There are two ways to beat an M79...

1. STAY THE hell away from him (or stay above him)

2. Get so close that he can't hit you w/o suiciding. I use an MP5 or shotgun for this tactic. (even a knife would work)

.JeT
December 19, 2005, 11:27 pm
I never really stay above them, as when i usually get hit with the m79 i see it go under me then all of a sudden i explode. And about that posting thing, i play soldat all the time, doesnt mean i have to post.

XenocidE
December 19, 2005, 11:53 pm
Yup, just like everyone else has said before. Staying above an M79 user is your best bet. Probably why the M79 is best used on Voland, because of how there is no real way to dodge a quick m79 shot and the arches in the middle are perfect for a smooth M79 shot. (and how voland is the worse map ever) :P)

Deleted User
December 20, 2005, 12:08 am
quote:Originally posted by Extacidequote:Originally posted by .JeTIve been playing recently and have been hearing so much [CENSORED]! If you are getting owned with a m79 dont pick one up and try to join them! Take a ranged gun (i use the steyr/barrett) and once you see one coming start backing up (when your using the steyr) and stay up in the air too should take him down while hes reloading. If your using a barrett, not much technique in this one, just have to have good aim. I just showed up about 4 people complaining about the m79 by just having a good shot. Dont be a pussey either, if you dont have anywhere to retreat too, get in his face and make him a ragdoll. Now quit whining and go play!

....My god, we have a freaking genius in the forums. Im not being sarcastic, you are the first person ive ever seen so far make a LOGICAL statement on how to properly kill an m79. You sir, have earned my respect. Versatility is a soldiers greatest weapon.

One tip though: Dont get in his face....you're asking to have him get an easy shot off of you. Keep your distance, screen distance atleast, its impossible for him to hit you unless he has a serious height advantage or makes use of his secondary.

Whats new? If you couldn't figre that out you must be a moron. And if it's one of those rapid m79 cowards, just rocket sniper him.

.JeT
December 20, 2005, 12:32 am
Or use a steyr, check sig ^_^.

headstone
December 20, 2005, 2:27 am
quote:And if it's one of those rapid m79 cowards, just rocket sniper him.

Rocket sniper? lol

Do you mean the LAW?

edak
December 20, 2005, 8:37 am
LOL @ rocket sniper... Every weapon can has a weakness, what you have done .Jet is clearly state for those who can't analyse the game and see for themselves but seriously I dont believe that it will reduce the number of M79'ers if that was your idea.

Good Post though

Soldat Mod Mixer [URL]

matapatos
December 20, 2005, 3:48 pm
.Jet, your post makes sense in a one on one, but in a ctf wher eyou are in middle air, flying to the front, and sudenly a guy appears with m79, it wont be easy to break and start firing and flying back.

Im not wining about m79, just at your strategy :P.

Enray
December 20, 2005, 7:29 pm
I just use the spas. That way, if they get a shot off and i'm still alive, i can finish them quick.

mustafa
December 20, 2005, 7:37 pm
What about tactics against this particular tactic, using the M79?

edak
December 20, 2005, 9:59 pm
Such as....? This is a weakness of the M79, it doesn't shoot up well, it's not accurate mid air, it's short range... I guess your only tactic against this tactic would be to practice?

matapatos
December 20, 2005, 10:57 pm
"it's not accurate mid air"....hmmm, actually it takes few practice to shoot in mid air......actually i always shoot in mid air...

DeLarge
December 20, 2005, 11:03 pm
This topic is getting boring while it's upon others.

Alucard
December 21, 2005, 7:46 pm
Ok, I haven't visited this forum for a long time so I hope you understand my point of view. Back in the days I used to play Soldat actively people and back then just hated players with barrets and no talent, so called barretards. But now, what am I reading, ppl tell how m79 guys are cowards and how to get them fragged 'easily' with a barret or so.

I prefer m79 amongst other weapons for many reasons, but one is, that you need skill to hit with it. I usually don't like one-hit-kill weapons but this is an exception, because you really have to see where the bullet is going and how fast, so you will hit your target and don't get blown to kingdom come by your own gun.

I tried playing Soldat online today for about 5 minutes then I got amazingly pissed off what I don't usually do. And the only reason is, that EVERY player in the server I was had a barret. First I confront a guy with a barret, he missed and so did I. Then when I had reloaded I was just going to shoot him. I got close, aimed, then 2 of his buddies with barrets comes out of the blue and pierces me with their cursed one-shot bullets. I had no chance whatsoever.
If it was one or two barret guys in the server, I would understand the situation but where has the old fair and square Soldat gone to? I can handle guys with any type of weapon with low or no skills at all, but if you use barret, you don't have to worry about any of this. Just aim and shoot, that's it. No skill, only to point your mouse at another player and click faster than the other guy. Or if you're no good at that, you can just camp at the bushes and shoot people that they don't know what hit them, like a lot of the noobs do.

I'm not pointing fingers here and I know I'm probably whiny, forgive me for that, but at least try to understand the point.

Da cHeeSeMaN
December 21, 2005, 8:04 pm
aim and fire like any other gun!

Deleted User
December 22, 2005, 1:32 am
Pick up an auto then. No gun solves every situation, not even the Barret or m79. Grab a steyr, the best binking gun IMO with its long range accuracy, and just spray them one at a time. Force them to play by new rules, then hit them again with that m79.

Btw, m79 is just as easy as barret still. I rarely use either and find no difficulty in using them for their purposes.

vash763
December 22, 2005, 1:59 am
Deagles ftw

XAVALOONX
December 25, 2005, 4:34 am
i agree man this guys is smart. All i do is use my skill! No i use mp5 or barret. One technique for me is if u know hes comin and your a good knifer charge at him like a crazy. Most of my knife kills are speed and surprise, so thats my opinion.

SeanCapsAss
December 25, 2005, 5:00 am
spas => the shots are pushing them farther away from you = they miss you

Deleted User
December 25, 2005, 10:58 am
Eh, why do most of you treat all of the m79 users like they were complete retards incapable of anything but 'push the button' gaming ?

I've seen many m79ers who actually wait for the best shot, use their secondaries ( soccom mostly ) and mainly are able to shoot moving and flying targets with amazing accuracy.

Not mentioning that 'staying in the air' is not always easy, particularly when you run out of jets in 2 seconds ( and the guy with m79 knows it pretty well :p ) - eg. on maps like b2b ..

I also don't understand the 'm79 can't shoot upwards' point .. are we talking about 1.31 ? -))) Do you guys actually play soldat are have you ceased to be simply forum keyboard warriors ? -) Of course mp79 can shoot upwards, I'd also dare to say that it's eaiser for them to kill you like that, because when hit from below, you almost always explode .. while sometimes, when hit by m79 straight in the face or from above, nothing really happens ( well, sometimes you lose a bit of HP, but those are exceptions :p )

So, all in all, I agree with the advice to stay as far away as possible. I'd prefer autos to barret, because it's just so easy to hunt barreters with soccom -)

matapatos
December 25, 2005, 11:06 pm
you can learn how to use m79 very easilly Alucard! You dont need skill, although it might seem like that.

How long did you take to learn how to use it? to learn how to use the gun, just go singleplayer, shoot it horizontally, and aim at the max you can. You will see how long the shot can go. Then do the same but in an higher angle. Then during gameplay you automatically shoot at your enemy.

It's something your brain can do. Yes, it seems you need a lot of skill. If you try to ain at something, and shoot, you probably will miss. But if you just play, and dont care about the aim, you will know where to shoot.

You do it automatically, dont you? The thing is, instead of trying to aim, imagine gravity pushing the bullet down...or whatever.

If you look at aim, it will be harder to shoot, cuz if you focus on that, your brain cant be focused on the distance,etc.

XAVALOONX
December 26, 2005, 1:52 am
I dont agree with you mat. To get 80% or more shots to hit your target wiht m79 isnt the easiest thing in the world. But your right looking at the aimer doesnt help you. Lao Wu Ten i agree not all guys with m79 are noobs and we shoudl hate them but in the game there are 18 weopons you have to change them onc ein a while right?

Ok
December 26, 2005, 9:48 pm
I understand the need for attention and all.
But this is a classic topic for Soldat Guide. so post stuff like this in here if u realy want to share your ways and not just get attention from others.
http://www.soldatforums.com/forum.asp?forum_id=94

Deleted User
December 26, 2005, 10:16 pm
Practice for 2.5 years with m79, and you have me :P. Thats the biggest tip I can give, try to figure out what maps m79 is good for, and use it on those maps only. I personally use it on B2b, Ash, Nuubia and Kampf.

Heres my tips...

1. Prediction is a major part of m79, especially when your enemy is on the ground. I have actually recorded demo's of clanwars to figure out the ways people move in clanwars (Also known as dancing). I used to watch many many clanwars, record them all and then study them over a while ago. It was all to learn people's tendencies of moving on the groung. Using nades with m79 is extremely important if the person on the ground is dancing. Throw nades on one side and they are forced to move to the other side, kill him with m79 on the other side.
2. Having a 1-hit kill with m79 is a bad idea IMHO. Thats why LAw and knife are bad choices, go with socom. If you miss, you still have maybe a 25% chance to kill the enemy depending on what weapon he has, if he has a auto the chance is relatively low, but 1-hit versus socom or spas versus socom, the socom will win about 60% of the time if you can hit 8 out of 12 shots.
3. Learn to move. Extremely important when using the m79. You need to dodge others bullets if you miss a shot, hopefully buy enough time to get another shot. If the enemy is in the air and your on the ground, learn to dance. If your in the air and enemy in the air, learn to worm. and if both are on the ground, learn to hide behind obstacles.
4. Learn the maps. Once again this is one of the biggest parts of being a m79 user in clanwars. You have to know the maps. One big advantage of m79 is horizontal boosting (not vertical). Learn the best spots to boost if you are running with flag. Learn the best spots to wait for the enemy where you have a clear shot. Learn the best spots to nade spam, because you have to rely more on nades and socom if your a m79 user against even a relatively decent player.

Ill post more later if I can think of them :Q.