December 18, 2005, 9:45 pm
Link removed - See edit and posts below

Features:
- Ability to search by member
- Ability to search entire forums
- Easy-to-find forum sections

Change log:
- Fixed viewing problems in FF and IE

Credits go out to m00.u13.net for hosting.

Edit: I have removed the url to this fan application at the request of b00sta. This does not prevent people from doing the searches, as the program was a static html file and can be ran from any computer.

I agree that the "All Forums" search was not a necessary addition, and would probably cause more harm than good. Searching by member, on the other hand, should not have been removed. I highly recommend that it be added again. If it's a forum exploit, like Enesce mentioned, then the forums need to be upgraded. Somebody who can pull off SQL injection could easily recreate what I have here. It's not worth the risk.

Finally, contrary to DePhille's fixation on breaking the search, I recommend that the server be upgraded to a more robust version of Snitz and given more bandwidth. It's one thing to remove graphics, but it starts to become a problem when you remove features. You might try a forum server fund, with a goal of such-and-such euros/dollars.

Deleted User
December 18, 2005, 11:15 pm
Very nice, I was wondering why there wasan't something like this already. Thanks.

PopeJohnPaul_II
December 18, 2005, 11:23 pm
Because these forums are on the slow side, the the script will time out if your search terms are too broad.

peemonkey
December 19, 2005, 2:44 am
i killed it.

Deleted User
December 19, 2005, 2:54 am
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=YOURSEARCHHERE+site%3Asoldatforums.com&btnG=Search

Try implementing something from the Google engine.

DePhille
December 19, 2005, 12:34 pm
It's a nice idea but I got a few comments.

You slow the forums down indeed (see my suggestion: Link). It's just a form like the one on search.asp on the forums , it sends the search options to the soldatforums search handler so if the script times out it's actually the SoldatForums script timing out , and that causes it to slow down and maybe crash (But that I dont know).

You'll also have to update the forum list manually when a category has been added , unless you start using PHP or just use 'Search all forums'

The extra features are nice though but I don't know if that compensates the slowing down your script could cause.

Grtz , DePhille

mar77a
December 19, 2005, 12:43 pm
Those features were removed for some reasons.

PopeJohnPaul_II
December 19, 2005, 1:12 pm
Even though some of these features were removed for speed reasons, you cause less slowdown using this script than manually going through the pages. I find myself always rummaging through old stuff, and I figured that other people who do the same thing might find my tool handy.

The problem with Google SiteSearch is that it's usually out of date, and it does not have the feature to search by member. I may consider merging the current page with PHP for better functionality.

Deleted User
December 19, 2005, 1:56 pm
I think there was a reason behind not enabling this... such as SQL Thrashing....

DePhille
December 19, 2005, 2:10 pm
I agree with you on the SiteSearch thing.
But with 'slowing down' we mean that the overall speed of the FORUMS slow down , not the time looking for a topic. A search script in a forum is a very heavy function that requires alot of resources. When you only allow people to search in a specific forum the forums only have to do those posts in the categery instead of all the posts.
Searching all posts is a vary heavy function , so your form actually takes up alot of resources of the forums.

If you browse trough all topics manually it still is less heavy than a script searching all topics because a search script has to do several functions and calculations with each post while a human does that himself.

I hope my text was somewhat clear :)

Grtz , DePhille

mar77a
December 19, 2005, 3:22 pm
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25828&SearchTerms=forum,search
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24952&SearchTerms=forum,search
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25746&SearchTerms=forum,search

Some topics i found that tell why this features are not included.

b00stA
December 19, 2005, 8:38 pm
Yes, styx "removed" these features from the search page because the server can't handle searches like that. The search takes too long if the criteria is too broad and thus causes a timeout: no results at all.

Please remove that page, it's just putting strain on the server.
If you're looking for recent things, the current forum search should work just fine. I'll add the Google SiteSearch later.

DePhille
December 19, 2005, 8:43 pm
b00sta: Now that he started the idea some people could start this form without you knowing it. I think you should remove both variables (members and All forums) from the ASP code itself , otherwise you can just yell "DONT DO THAT" but it won't change a thing.

Grtz , DePhille