( search forums )
Shots not registering - lets clear it up you twats
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra`
December 18, 2005, 11:38 pm

First things first, I don't know all the facts. Together, we probably do though.

Secondly, i'm sure anyone who's played Soldat has at least once in their life had a lagless game where shots didn't connect. I know it ain't a fluke or just my imagination, as I remember numerous times during 1.2.1 and 1.3 - especially on the U13 servers - when some nights it just wouldn't allow connecting shots for everyone on the server. Everyone complained about it while there, so it was evidently a server-thing.

So it 'is' something that can happen.

Probably.

Now we go to the unexplained parts.

Why is it happening 'apparently' more now than before for some?

To those that know, answer these questions if ya can.

Has netcode been changed?
Has default server settings been adjusted?
Is there a server setting that'd have this effect?
Does it happen on specific servers?
Does it happen just for some players, but not all on the same server at the same time?
Are you using a firewall, proxy, or other such device, and does this problem occur for you?

Soon as we can determine that, it can be established if it's server-side or client-side, and lead to further questions.
Or if people just got thrown off by weapon balance, weapon mod servers, and came to a pre-emptive conclusion. Like so many do, hence the hostility.

Please, no whining. Keep it constructive.

Saint-Cross
December 18, 2005, 11:43 pm
Most of the time they say it doesn't connect, so they assume you hack.The reality, the shot never actually hit you, or came close.They just suck.Sometimes I've had them say that they saw me bleed after they shot me, and I never saw my health bar go down, or blood come from my gostek.

Chakra`
December 18, 2005, 11:49 pm
Exactly. Shots have always in some way had a few hit-but-not-hit moments no matter the quality of the server, though not as annoying as most are preaching right now.

Which adds to the confusion. Is this a real problem, or are people just blowing something out of proportion thats existed in soldat since 1.2 ?

...well someones gotta ask the questions around here. ¬_¬

Deleted User
December 19, 2005, 12:05 am
Ok, another question I must ask is, was the netcode changed in 1.2? I heard it was.

But anyways, from my experience, whats happens is you're playing in a lagless server, no ones lagging, it will be randomly, like for example if im using ruger, ill make 3 definite head shots. The first one will make him bloody, the second will hit and spurt blood but nothing, the third will kill him instantly. With the Desert Eagles, if you're shooting from a distance and accurately following his path, you see all your shots connect and it takes 5 to kill. Some other instances of this is when your des'ing, you find an EXTREMELY injured soldat completely covered in blood, you take one shot that connects right at his chest and does nothing, the next instant your dead by a barret shot. Other occurances, especially the one that blew my last strand of insanity over it all, was with the Barret/Knife. A knife I threw, actually went through a soldat. It hit his head from a vertical throw while he was falling straight down, went into his head, and fell below him bloody. Other things, Barret shots will show blood but nothing, being its one and a straigth shot, im sure Barret has it worse. Then you have m79 shots, that hit you and do nothing, or barely damage you enough like it should. Same with grenades or Law shots.

I see it going on in a LOT of servers, it might be an issue with current servers. I do remember playing in some scrims and getting it very rarely, but it still happened, mostly with knives that did no damage and m79s ~ The BEST servers that ive played in anyways. After playing 1.2.1 for a while, its there too, only that the guns are so powerful, its probably the equivalent of what 1.3.1 could be, if it wasnt for all the laggers. I HAVE begun to record demos of when it happens in 1.2.1...but, I dont think they're of much use. 50% of the players there have pings higher then 200. =\ Possibly more then that...

@Frogboy

It is happening then...I havent touched 1.2, but after touching 1.2.1, its definetly there. I think this all came about at the start of 1.2, obviously. 1.3 seemed to show it more because with the nerfing of guns, when it happened, it was alot more obvious.

frogboy
December 19, 2005, 12:07 am
To me it seems that it's the newer players blowing this out of proportion. I don't think I ever recalled hearing about shots not registering before 1.3. I recall hearing a few "hit" messages in game (probably before that), but I usually put that down to lag. And as someone mentioned, apparently netcode hasn't really changed since 1.2, so if it's happening now, it probably happened then.

KeFear
December 19, 2005, 12:17 am
Well, i noticed in some other version that even if i hit the oppoment, i saw him bleed, i heard the *thumpf* sound that "confirms" the hit, and the oppoment saw himself bleed and shot, but his healthbar didn't change at all. I used ruger, so... That was on one of the gather-servers. We didn't put any meaning to this at all, me myself just laughed about it.
It was in 1.3 as far as i remember, so it isn't "new" in 1.3.1 at all. These couldn't be proven, as i don't usually take demos, and demos don't show exactly the same thing that i see ingame. (for example in the demo i shot for my ball-mod and in the last throw the knife hits the flame-god bonus, and the knife doesn't bounce from the ground, but when i did it, it bounced, and you can see it in my hand at the end of the demo, but if you watch it, it just *whooosh* in my hand without any animation. So demos aren't good at all)

By the way i'm having an exam in the morning at 8:00 GMT+1 so... goddamn it's 1:17 and i'm on soldatforums [CENSORED]

Hanayo
December 19, 2005, 12:20 am
If you have in mind that the positions of the players, their movement and shots you see are only your view of the game, and not the actual game, its pretty obvious that lag shots / not registering shots are possible.

I always cry out loud when i hit and nothing happens, even if i know its normal. ;)

Simple example: You shoot an enemy with your ruger and your client shows the shot instantly after your mouse clicks. Now it needs some time to send it to the server and then to all the other players (2x50ms if all players have a ping of 50), in the meantime your enemy is moving around and you get the information 100ms later.

I know that Michal added a system to reduce the lag. And i suppose it tries to correct such delays (you could use an average ping values ti do so). But that cant prevent lag shots, just reduce them.

If you see blood but the shot didnt register, than thats just your version, the server says you didnt hit. Only the server decides about such stuff. Your client is just interpolating.

What i dont understand is the m79. Im sure you all had that before: You shoot - hit - and all what happens is a boost - midair .. obviously the server registered a hit, but noo, somehow the enemy just get a boost.

Deleted User
December 19, 2005, 12:39 am
Brought up in the bugs section by Demo, im curious. If Michal were to take his suggestion of switching from UDP to TCP, could that fix the problem? Regardless of the work needed to do so, its definetly a worth while improvement for Soldat...The netcode changed in 1.2 and me thinks it needs changing again in the next version. That, or whatever else could be causing the issue. Im not too good with these kind of things, so excuse my lack of comprehension towards it all. :F

quote:I think the REGISTER thing you all talk about is not really a bug but might be related to the fact that Soldat uses the UDP protocol to send/receive data. UDP doesn't check if a packet has arrived in it's destination or not, so if you M79 someone and that packet never reaches the server than nothing happens, the server simply doesn't know you fired the M79.

In the TCP protocol it's different. The client and server are always notifying each other that they're about to send a packet. If that packet doesn't reach the destination, the client/server asks for it again.

I'm not sure how much work it would take.. but maybe it is time for Michal to consider updating the netcode to make use of the TCP protocol instead of UDP.

.Twelve
December 19, 2005, 12:53 am
Meh, I get this very often.
Even when its a perfectly fine server. It's random as well. I'm on DSL and my ping is (roughly) between 50-100 on the good servers.
I see the "hitting shot with blood but no registry" very often.
Or sometimes if you kill someone it doesn't show up on the kill log...and the player just kind of falls over. That might be just lag though...

Chakra`
December 19, 2005, 1:07 am
Ok so we know the problem exists. Great. Lovely. No more posts on that please.

Now, is it 'more so' than 1.3? 'cos you guys said jack [CENSORED] back then. And i've still to experience 'extreme' non-registering shots to the point where i'd consider quitting the game.

As for TCP vs UDP, there was alot of indepth discussion on that as I recall. If anyone wants to consult the archives where alot of experienced knowledgable people duked it out, go for it.

.Twelve
December 19, 2005, 1:15 am
I don't recall it being as bad in 1.3 but it was still most definitely there.

Deleted User
December 19, 2005, 1:20 am
Every time a new version comes out I always think it lags more than the previous version. I don't know why I think that, but I do. Perhaps people think it does lag more because subconciously, they think that a new version should be better all around.

Personally, I don't really think Soldat 1.3.1 is laggier than 1.3, though I have no proof. The only thing I've heard MM say about the netcode is this.
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowski I didn't really change the netcode. The only stuff that might of changed are the soldat.ini settings:
For client and server:
PacketRate_Adjusting=1 (try turning it off = 0)

For server:
T1_Snapshot=40
T1_MajorSnapshot=19
T1_DeadSnapshot=50
T1_Heartbeat=135
T1_Delta=4
T1_Ping=21
T1_ThingSnapshot=29

The server admins might be using some wierd settings or the servers now aren't good enough. Not everyone has switched yet to 1.3.1.

I've just tried switching the packet rate adjustment to see if it will help at all.

edit:I'm not sure if this has to do with lag or not, but does anyone else have their screen lock up on them during play? It's as if my fps drops to 2 or something, even though it doesn't say it changes up in the corner.

frogboy
December 19, 2005, 1:51 am
UDP is obviously used for a reason. My best guess is that it's because UDP is designed to deliver packets "on time". TCP is designed for reliability, which means more overhead, making it slower. Soldat, being a game, relies more on speed than reliability. So switching to TCP would mean more lag and more bandwidth being needed.

...I don't actually know much about this, I pieced it together from links off Google.

reckon
December 19, 2005, 1:58 am
Does the introduction of bink have anything to do with it?

Deleted User
December 19, 2005, 2:04 am
I just took a look as well. From what I see, UDP is definetly the problem with the missing packets. TCP may be slower, but atleast when you shoot, you'll get some results. Both have their disadvantages but have their advantages which both aid gameplay. I guess its a matter of choice as to what consequences you want.

Btw, ill just list the info right here for reference:

UDP: http://www.ardenstone.com/projects/seniorsem/reports/UDP_Protocol.html
TCP: http://www.ardenstone.com/projects/seniorsem/reports/TCP_Protocol.html

Saint-Cross
December 19, 2005, 2:20 am
I only had it happen once since 1.3.1, it happened all the time for me in 1.3 but I didn't care.

_Mancer_
December 19, 2005, 3:23 am
I dont see a 'registering' hits problem at all. Even when shots sometimes dont 'register' for me its very very rarly occurs. I beleive people just think they DESERVE a kill because they fired in the general vecinity of their enemy.. and they're using their lack of skill and aim as the term of 'non-registering hits'

4 Out Of 5 Dentists
December 19, 2005, 3:44 am
im not sure, but i think the ping shown in soldat is just straight from client to server without the time it takes the server to process the information.

say youve got a ping of 50, but the server is taking 500 ms to calculate your shots.

if we could get some real quality servers this issue would go away.

i remember when 1.3.1 just came out, there were a bunch of great servers. i could take a minigun get good results.

so anyway, i think its a problem with crappy servers.

solohan50
December 19, 2005, 5:27 am
Well, it's already been said that this problem exists, and I'll agree with it. And when I talk about shots not registering, I'm not even necessarily talking about mine. What you guys seem to be saying is that it's lag, and even though you see it hit, it really didn't hit on the other persons screen. However, I have noticed when I play that I take a lot of shots that never register. I've seen someone ruger me 4 times before I die, and that was without my uber anti-Ruger hacks. I've also noticed that I tend to get knifed, m79-ed, and LAW-ed a lot and don't die from it, and I am reporting what I see ON MY SCREEN. So I think it's gotta be either buggy netcode or buggy servers, either way, it is quite annoying.

rabidhamster
December 19, 2005, 6:56 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Is there a server setting that'd have this effect?
an excerpt from soldat.ini:
quote:T1_Ping=21
T1_ThingSnapshot=29
PacketRate_Adjusting=1
ShotRegister_Percent=55
ClientPort=23083

[PLAYER]AHA!

Leo
December 19, 2005, 7:05 am
quote:ShotRegister_Percent=55

There is no such setting at soldat.ini, do I miss something here ?

frogboy
December 19, 2005, 7:35 am
quote:Originally posted by LeoThere is no such setting at soldat.ini, do I miss something here ?
Yes. It was a joke.

rabidhamster
December 19, 2005, 7:36 am
hmm, you must have the old soldat version. download soldat 1.32 here.

Leo
December 19, 2005, 7:51 am
quote:Originally posted by rabidhamsterhmm, you must have the old soldat version. download soldat 1.32 here.

Clever ass :P

Chakra`
December 19, 2005, 8:23 am
'k less [CENSORED]ing around ya bastads. If anyone can answer the questions lets have it.

rabidhamster
December 19, 2005, 8:42 am
although i feel like an idiot saying this, and although i have no idea how the netcode works, i think it could be the netcode. it is very probable that the hits not registering problem has always existed since soldat began, but since the community used to be smaller and less whiny, no one ever really brought up the topic. it is also possible that all soldats are exactly 1/60th of a second behind each other (maybe creating the data packets takes one tick, they can't just appear instantly), causing lag even when the comps have 0 ping. (i saw hits not register at a soldat 1.3 LAN party i held recently, and i got a lot of complaints from people who had never played before, it wasn't pretty)

once again, feel free to ignore this post as i have no idea how the netcode works and have very little knowledge of programming.

Rune
December 19, 2005, 10:50 am
frogboy is right. This is totally blown out of proportion. I don't really notice any shots not registering, but a lot of the newer plays seem to get it a lot, and say "OMG HIT" all of the time when their shot was inches of hitting.

Best advice you can get is to shut down applications that use much bandwith and to play on the fastest servers, like selfkill or fractured.

.Twelve
December 19, 2005, 9:45 pm
Its most likely the person doing the shooting sees it hit but it just lagged and the shot really missed. But usually when someone hits me and the shot actually hits but it doesn't register...we both saw it. All I know is I get it alot and I've been playing for a long time (so I know not to whine about it =/).

XenocidE
December 19, 2005, 11:41 pm
I don't know anything about Netcodes and anything that could be server side. I usually look at everything through a connection side perspective.

I've seen many things happen during game play. Occasionally knife, saw, and gun shots not registering. The strangest occurance I've seen with lag is the knife stabs and saw kills. I usually play on servers were my ping stays at a constent 66-100(with occasional jumps to 150). I also like to find one player standing in the middle of the map typing something long(i know killing someone who is typing is wrong). So I go up to that person and I attempt to stab/saw him. I do it for about 1.5-2 seconds and he doesn't die. He'll then go about after he finishes his statement he's typing and then can jump up and out of the way and shots me.
Now on this one example, this seems like a server side issue. I'm not sure what would be something that could fix this though. Seems to be like something i've seen in MMORPGs. IE. I'll be running around the map killing creatures that are around me. Well, every once in a while one creature is in the position where I'm attacking him, but the server isn't transfering the packets correctly and he's actually in a different location.

I've also had the experience with bad connection from your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Some ISPs tend to bottleneck your connection to certain ports. They mainly do this for Bit Torrents and other Illegal download software. They do this to save bandwidth over their service. Well, with the ISP I have I've ran into this issue before. I saw more of these connection differations between different servers in the previous Version, 1.3.0. I could have a perfect connection on a server with port 23073, or any number in the 23000 field. But then I'll got to a server with a port in the range of around 33000 or more and I'll lag all to hell. I mainly think this is ISP Sided.

There are many, many things that can cause random lag. It could be server side lag and it could be connection side lag. There is even the possibility of your computer not registering everything correctly, and then it could be a CPU Side issue.
One thing I do remember noticing is the Lag Dot on your screen. I remember when switching from 1.2.1 to 1.3.0. My lag increased, but the dot color change because of my ping changed also. In 1.2.1 the dot used to change to a Yellowish type color when I hit over 150. Now, if I hit 150 it doesn't quite turn yellow yet. IMO, I think the color change of the dot changed in the programming to help you think your connection is still low, but it's actually higher then what it used to be.

I think because of the new higher lag is the new implaments in the game. Richocets is one example. I remember reading in the new release of 1.3.0 that MM had added something new to the netcode to help lower the Ping. I don't recall what it was, but it had to do something with the different location between players and shots that are fired. Sorry, I don't exactly remember what is was that was added.

The one new question I have is why my FPS during game play can change by 20 or so by changing from one Server to the next. I could have a 120FPS (windowed) in one server, go to a different one and have 80FPS? But my connection stays the same in a relatively close sense.
Sorry for the long post also.

Ranzear
December 22, 2005, 8:05 am
I think one of the easiest places to demonstrate this, and possibly demonstrate why it happens, is my zombie server. I have a LAN connection to my own dedicated server and I can still, perhaps once every 4 to 5 games, run up to a zombie and saw him for 2-3 seconds. The bots have a tendency to back away from a saw and the ping won't even quiver as the bot then shwicks over a few feet. You chase and are still hitting but the bot is moving away, client registering hits but server tracking the bot as just a few steps ahead.

It compounds that the client sees the bot as 'behind' and themself as 'ahead', you can see this positioning problem by following and being followed in FFXI - your player will follow someone perfectly but someone following you has to wait for two round trips to get the feedback to move their character back behind yours.

Ping can be compounded more than twice when information is from client to server to another client and vice versa.

DePhille
December 22, 2005, 9:32 am
The not registering also existed in 1.2.*
I still got logs from back then (also from the previous version) where there are some"OMGHIT!" messages in.
I also recall that this was lag , which is wrong.
It's indeed the UDP problem of missing packets and switching to TCP isn't a bad idea. Ofcourse it will use more bandwidth but I think you'll barely see the diffrence if you do it right.
I've done some research in a 10 player CTF server:
Upload: Average 0.4KB/s , max 1.5KB/s
Download: Average 2.0KB/s , max 4.2KB/s
56k: max 7KB/s , (in reality that's 5) , so theres no problem on upgrading to TCP.
I rather have some spiking (TCP) than smooth players with unregistering hits (UDP).

There are two possible consequences:
1) Soldat smoothened the enemy player too much , you see him while he's probably somewhere else (might be 1-2cm off) and you really missed him.
2) the UDP packet failed to send , you shot your M79 (for example) but the nade wasn't sent well.

Brainstorming:
Maybe this is more in 1.3.1 because MM remade the smoothening. Soldat smoothens out lag , maybe MM changed the code making it miss (like I explained in 1).
There is a setting about that somewhere in soldat.ini but I haven't tested it yet so I can't tell forsure.
This is brainstorming though , I don't know if the lag smoothening was changed.

Grtz , DePhille

GAMEOVER
December 22, 2005, 10:22 am
I 100% without a doubt have stuff not registering all the time and its for the most part nades. I have a lot of people who I play with daily see me nail them dead on with nades and they just do not die most of the time however I will get crushed by a dead on nade most of the time. They even say stuff like wow I shoulda died, you had me, etc etc

How do I KNOW this isnt just a server issue?
I know because it happens on every server I play in no matter what.

How do you KNOW that im not making this up to make myself look better or make an excuse for missed shots etc?
Youll know because if you ask players who play with me a lot theyll tell you they see it for themselves and mention it to you. I dont even mention this stuff in game anymore im so use to it but when you hear people say wow you had me etc etc you know there is a problem.

What would I like to see done?
Im convinced this isnt a server issue to best of my knowledge which may or may not be the very greatest. I blame the codeing of the game because this has happend for quite some time now. What I would like to see done is have a pro delphi scripter thoroughly go through the whole language and make sure everything is written in the best possible/available manner. In short I just want to see the problem fixed doing whatever it takes.

Im not going to post and complain or whine about this only reason I brought up everything ive just said is because Chakra asked for it. I tried to go in detail and explain myself as best I can hope its enough and hope to see others leaving productive comments.

Chakra`
December 22, 2005, 1:15 pm
Well, i've been playing here and there for 2 weeks, and can safely say i've been making a helluva lot of 2-shot kills with my ruger. I haven't seen this problem at all.

Has anyone tried not having some backround programmes loaded while playing?

person
December 22, 2005, 2:52 pm
It's mostly with explosives, I've noticed... not just nades, but the m79 and law as well. The odd direct bullet hit is also not registered, but I don't have a problem with it too much... happens very rarely.

I've been getting pretty good with the ruger too, most of my shots are hitting these days, but still getting a few 3 shot kills (mainly in public servers).

I think it'd probably be an issue with lag, but there's a few times I keep on noticing a grenade blow up like 4 inches (on the screen) away from my soldier, and I'd just drop dead... though most people including myself have pings below 100. I usually have 0-16 on my main servers of choice, and then about 30-60 on others in my region.

edit:
just noticing your sig, Chakra... is that the reason why 1.3.1 is so good? :p

Spectral
December 22, 2005, 5:05 pm
I think since the new version I've been saying "hit" more often...maybe it's just becoming a habit, or I'm just an angrier person nowadays, but I really think that my m79 and LAW hits are registering less this version. With nades I don't see as much of an issue.

DePhille
December 22, 2005, 5:48 pm
Lemme clear one fact out of the way.
This does not depend on a weapon.

Autos also dont register shots sometimes , but they dont kill instantly so it isn't really visible.
Also the bullet speed is important , the slower the bullet the more distance the enemy travaled since the shot was fired and thus the lag has more influence.

Grtz , DePhille

Ranzear
December 22, 2005, 8:12 pm
!!!

Idea

To all you people that are getting non-registering hits...do you have long ethernet cable runs or ethernet cables near power cables or surge suppressors? Major causes of dropped packets...perhaps a good reason to go to TCP and tell the 56k'ers to deal with it (they're outnumbered as of last year)

Chakra`
December 22, 2005, 9:43 pm
I don't think you people quite understand the purpose of this topic here..

We 'all' know that it's capable of happening on occasion. But no one has even a theory as to why, for some, it appears to be happening more in 1.3.1 when any essential or obviously related code even remotely related to lag has not been changed at all. And for other players, nothings changed. It's fine.

So, whats going on? Shall we all mention how much UDP sucks some more and blame something we've been happily playing on for years or find out if theres an actual problem here?

Ok
December 22, 2005, 10:33 pm
hey , hello?
I do belive I started a topic just about this kinda of problem.
Shots not registering, and nades not killing (I do believe they're linked).
I specifcly remember in pre-1.2 versions the lag was very simple, you just need to shoot infront of the image, how much? it was up to your lag, how bad is it.
Today, your lag and even when you dont lag, changes things quite randomly.
Its up to so many various things.
Fact is , more shots register for me when I have a higher ping.
What have changed after 1.2? well.. first thing is that lag defender thing that michal invented , if I remenmber correctly it was made in 1.2, apperently its defending the lag from us rather us from the lag (sarcasm etc etc...)
Anyhow, since then we got bink, self bink, all kind of new(crappy) things.
Michael said it himself, he made the engine for soldat when he was quite new and n00bish in programing (relativly..) and thus its very hard to change stuff and fix bugs.

Incase you didn't notice, Deagle shots register more then they used too in the last version.
I believe that its just a matter of fixing bugs, I believe that with time these things will go away after hours upon hours of michael programing on his new earned computer (just guessing).
I also believe I can fly, and that someday I'll be superman, so who knows.
NEVERTHELESS!
The short version: the none register shots are a result of soldat having too many things implimented into it without upgrading the base itself. so just give it time.
In the meanwhile, try not to throw so many flags ;) stay away from m79ers.. dont change teams , and dont die when having the flag (heh).
Just sit tight, it will all pass ^_^

Chakra`
December 22, 2005, 10:52 pm
So why is it more 'laggy' now than 1.3 ?

*attempts to hammer question home*

XenocidE
December 22, 2005, 11:16 pm
Technically I don't think it is more laggy at all. It's just the bugs that make us think that it's more laggy. But with the new implaments from version 1.2.1 to 1.3.0 is what made 1.3.0 more laggy. New implaments without a new netcode to work with the implaments to help reduce lag is what I think we're seeing more and more. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Chakra`
December 22, 2005, 11:58 pm
So why wasn't this evident or complained about in 1.3?

reckon
December 23, 2005, 12:34 am
Whats the point of this thread Chakra?
Do you really think a bunch of internet forum regulars would be able to solve something related to a series of errors in an encrypted game?
Im pretty sure youre beating a dead horse with this topic, is it just to get all the [CENSORED]ing out of everyones system so we dont see the likes of this again and move on the next moot topic?

XenocidE
December 23, 2005, 12:43 am
@ Chakra`
I think it was complained about in 1.3, but just not as regularly as it is now. I think the new bugs and the fact that the same lag that was there in 1.3 that is now also in 1.3.1 is giving people a reason to complain more. I for one have just given up on whining and complaing during game play and just keep it to myself.

@ reckon
I don't think the meaning of this thread was to get people to get their whining out of their systems. We're tyring to get ideas of what could be causing lag, non-registering shots, etc. I really haven't seen a lot of whining in this thread so far. Ideas are being put into the air and others are finding out what could and couldn't work in trying to fix some issues we are all having.

- Tek -
December 23, 2005, 3:02 am
Didn't feel like reading it all

If you want to know if you actually hit and damaged someone, you'd have to make it so you could see the health% on enemies, not just your team mates.

Chakra`
December 23, 2005, 6:17 am
quote:Originally posted by reckonWhats the point of this thread Chakra?
Do you really think a bunch of internet forum regulars would be able to solve something related to a series of errors in an encrypted game?
Im pretty sure youre beating a dead horse with this topic, is it just to get all the [CENSORED]ing out of everyones system so we dont see the likes of this again and move on the next moot topic?

Didn't really start that way, but it's certainly ending that way.

The difference between 1.3 and 1.3.1 is that some people are complaining that it's happening 'all the time'. I imagine it possible that when they went to seek consolidation from others, they all said they experienced it too ....after all, it 'does' happen ....just perhaps not as much as some people are saying.

If this is a real problem for people, where it's happening all the time in every server, then they should start experimenting. Ask questions, try different settings on a server, try removing backround programmes, or whatever else. Otherwise, it's seeming pretty evident that all it mostly likely was, was whining for the sake of it :|

Sneaky Bstard
December 23, 2005, 1:44 pm
people have just exaggerated a bit on this,i'm sure the odd shot would miss,but i doubt that this problem is so serious as to ruin a round or make you play worse,personally i've never had shot's not register or anything like that,which makes me believe the problem may be on the side of the player,but maybe not,either way i think it's a lot of work and effort for michal to be able to fix this,too much in my opinion.

also,is there any demo's of this at all yet?

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 2:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`
Now, is it 'more so' than 1.3? 'cos you guys said jack [CENSORED] back then. And i've still to experience 'extreme' non-registering shots to the point where i'd consider quitting the game.

I did say jack [CENSORED]. But when I heard 1.31 was being released shortly, I thought they'd fix the problem. They did not fix the problem.

person
December 24, 2005, 1:45 am
Well anyway, I just saw yesterday a guy I know who is having this problem. Definetly there more for him than me. I noticed a few times in the couple of matches I played with him his ruger head shots were causing blood, but no damage to be taken on me. And I know this guy, he has played about as long as I have and has a ping of 16-33.

It seems it could be a problem mainly concerning adsl/dsl modems?

Chakra`
December 24, 2005, 2:42 am
Well, from the evidence so far, it's probably not to do with servers but something unique and client-side. And Michal 'did' change a few things towards how Soldat works with backround programmes...

Could be anything really. If you got this problem, try playing after rebooting. Turn off other crap. Use your imagination and experiment.

GAMEOVER
December 24, 2005, 5:53 am
quote:Originally posted by - Tek -Didn't feel like reading it all

If you want to know if you actually hit and damaged someone, you'd have to make it so you could see the health% on enemies, not just your team mates.

That sounds like a solid idea we maybe we can get little health bars above peoples heads that can be disabled with a certain hotkey

Avarax
December 24, 2005, 12:43 pm
maybe MM just implemented an evasion feature, 20% of shots are dodged.... ;Q

- Tek -
December 24, 2005, 10:23 pm
lol

but seriously, we shoudl get a bullet dodge move, that can only be used once per life, not renewed until respawn.

nfsjunkie91
December 26, 2005, 1:00 am
essentially, i can only blame it on slight lagging, when ppl go for a headshot with a ruger and it just barely misses me, even with low lag, they scream at the computer and type at me about "OMGWTF HACKER!" just because they missed my soldat by 4 pixels. i don't notice it very much, but some ppl complain about it more than others, so unless you saw your own character as everyone else does, shots missing will be a part of the game.

Ok
December 26, 2005, 10:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`So why is it more 'laggy' now than 1.3 ?

*attempts to hammer question home*

As said before some ppl mistake bugs for lag, so u hear more complaints.
You remember when in 1.2.1 you barely was aware of it? but ppl like me for example have been whining about it over and over?
Well its just a matter of how bad it gets, as the game gets more laggy and buggy you get less ppl saying "Oh cut it out, there is not lag because I don't get it".

so just a word to all of ya who keeps saying there is no such thing as lag with a good ping or unregistered shots "You ARE NOT an idicator for Soldat as a whole".

Even in 1.3.1 you get those comments "Its not lag! its you sucky connection"
Well having to need an uber super connection is not a normal situation.
Fact is, I used to be able to play this game just fine with a 750kbit/96kbit down/up connection, and today with a 1.5mbit/128kbit I dont have 1 game without having unregisered shots.
and its a fact that my connection is MORE than enough for Soldat.

So yes! it is the net code, yes it is all the crap implimented into soldat WAY too soon and WAY too fast.
Still 1.3.1 is just too much, I truely am wondering what will happen in the next version.
Becuase I'm sure MM wont touch the net code, its not worth it realy.. too much work on something that already has a badly programed engine.
He's better off rewriting the whole thing :)

Deleted User
December 27, 2005, 1:48 am
quote:
He's better off rewriting the whole thing :)

Thatd be Soldat 2. That, or the game would have to be uber bugged and not very fixable - but I wouldnt mind waiting for him to do that, im sure hes much better at coding then when he first started. But testing/rewriting netcodes wouldnt hurt too much. And you have a point there, 1 person saying theres nothing wrong doesnt mean other people are just seeing things. Hell, why dont you guys give us a demo of your shots not lagging. O_o;

But I dont think we need proof, I think its all come down to this netcode. Its gotten more and more worse, because with every version the guns get weaker, so if it takes 3-4 shots to kill someone, im pretty sure you'll notice if it takes 5-7, when it should take 3 shots to kill them if you do it right. When the guns were more powerful, you would notice that it would occasionally take 3 instead of 2 shots to kill a guy when you're making all head shots with desert eagles, but its only 3 shots, its not a problem really compared to needing to take twice as many. Now, with weaker guns, you need in some cases twice as many bullets to kill, so now you probably get the registering problem twice as bad. Thats my theory on it anyways~

The guns getting weaker might be the problem. The bugs have always been there, just that no one noticed until 1.3. And I remember SPECIFICLY, that before I started 1.3 when someone was telling me what changed while I was installing, I clearly remember being told that sometimes shots will hit and do nothing. I also remember that small epidemic coming up in 1.3. None of you seem to, but I sure do.

le-mec
December 27, 2005, 5:00 am
Yeah, I noticed that I get non-registering hits against other people with grenades a LOT. The grenade would hit the other guy and he'd survive! In fact, I noticed that when someone gets an NRH on me with a grenade, I've only lost 50% health even though I got thrown into the air by the explosion. The other thing I sometimes see is I throw a grenade, which flies far away, and all of a sudden, I'm dead with a "YOU KILLED YOURSELF" message -- no explosion or anything. O_o

Looks like there are Registering Non-Hits too!

le-mec
December 27, 2005, 10:45 am
I have further noticed that while playing against bots on my own machine (there's no lag there...) I also get NRH's. I have been hit and have hit other bots with grenades directly and not killed them. I have also been struck and have struck other bots with the Barrett only to wound them...

DePhille
December 27, 2005, 11:23 am
Strange that no-one noticed more M79 usage and the shots not registering linked with eachother.

There is not 'more' not-registering than the previous versions.
It's hard to explain without programmers-language but I'll give it a try.

Fact: The longer the bullet needs to get to the victim , the less accurate it will be.
Explanation: Soldat needs to send TWO variables for each bullet. The X and Y axis , they have to be sent with every package. In a First Person Shooter (FPS) like counter-strike it only needs to be sent once since the bullets don't band downwards , they go straightforward , do not collide etc. . When a package is lost the accuracy of that bullet lowers a bit. The more time (and thus the more packets it needs to send) a bullet takes to end its journey , the more chance that alot of packages missed their destination. Thats why the Barret doesn't have this as much as the M79 , you can set the M79 bullet speed to the barrets and then test it , it'll have les non-registering.

Fact: There was always alot of non-registering , those who played with M79 or maybe LAW know that too.
Explanation: UDP is UDP and it hasn't changed , it lost packages in the past and it is still doing that in the present. Michal can't change a Worldwide strandard protocol :). The only thing he might have change is the anti-lag defense and that'd go under Fact 1 I typed above (less accuracy , multiplied by the anti-lag).

Fact: More people use M79 now.
Explanation: Not needed , look in the Whine forum.

CONCLUSION: Since more people use M79 , which has a greater chance of losing packages it now looks like there is more non-registering. In fact , it always existed , but people used more autos in the past than in the future and autos don't kill at once so it's less visible with them.

Some linked facts:
-Nade explosions only take away X%: That's because the anti-lag system doesn't apply on the nade , in fact the nade is Xmm away from you but the anti-lag system sees that as a hit and lets the nade explode on you. Because of the fact that the nade is Xmm away , it doesn't take away 100% of your health.
-This only exists with M79!: no it doesn't , try firing your MP5 from a long range at a moving target , you'll see that those bullets dont register eiter , only the ones that go a bit above or around the player will.

Please read this trough if you want to understand the answer to this topic , beleive me , it took me longer to write it than you take time to read it.

Grtz , DePhille

Swarmer
December 27, 2005, 3:59 pm
Darn, I didn't see this post for a week.

It's definetly not a server issue. I've been to as many servers as I could find, and it was all the same. Most of the players that I can't damage consistently have the lowest ping in the server. In fact, as le-mec said, the non-registering hits happen in non-internet games. The bots take damage and shots just as unreliably as humans do.

The only weapons I use are saw and nades, so thats the only perspective I can give. My saw frequently passes through a player, draws blood, makes the "thump-thump" sound of when you hit them, hits for a good 5-7 thumps, and the player continues unscathed and kills me. Even more frequently are the non-registered hits during the standard charge-full-speed-and-hope-people-fly-into-your-saw maneuver. They will just pass right through me, I'll hear a thump, and then they kill me. One time 4 enemies were in a line, charging toward our base at full speed, and I was charging them at full speed. I sawed them ALL within half a second, but no one died! What a shame. A multi-kill like that gone to waste.

And theres always nades. I'm not even going to elaborate much on those. They hit them, and nothing happens. Simple as that. It takes at least 4 nades to kill some players. One thing I noticed though is that I can consistently nade some players, but not others. Some people will die every time to my nades, while others wont get a scratch. But thier ping is always irrelevant.

Of course, this stuff has always been happening. The point is now it happens EVERY game. Which means that demos are useless. A demo of a laggy miss is nothing new. Unless you want a demo of 10 full length games, in different servers, on different computers?

This is such a big problem for me (since saw and nades rely on consistent hits) that I have only played once in the past week, when I usually play every day.

solohan50
December 28, 2005, 4:11 am
The funniest thing I found was that I was alone in a server, and I shot a LAW into the air and let it land on my head. a full 1/4 of the time, it didn't do anything, even though i didn't move from my spot. Fun times....

le-mec
December 28, 2005, 4:20 am
Swarmer >> yup, I get a lot of NRH's all the time, whether on the internet, against just bots on my own computer, or fighting against bots alongside my brother. We just increased the grenade limit to 5 and throw many grenades to be thorough.

Solohan >> hahahah!!! I would throw my knife into the air and try to catch it with my face. It's not 100% fatal either.

DePhille
December 28, 2005, 9:20 pm
That knife landing has nothing to do with no-registering.
not-registering means that your bullet just DOESNT cause damage at all.

The LAW is a not-registering bug though , I don't know if the UDP failed to send the package where the bullet got fired or just misses some packages during it's flight and therefor explodes somewhere else. I think it just fails to send the firing , atleast , that what happens when you saw someone and he/she doesnt die.

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
January 4, 2006, 8:36 pm
Ive had enough of Soldat. m79 cannot be used properly and MM refuses to solve this problem. I hit, and ive been hit and it wont harm at all or harm the other person. It SUCKS.

The LAW shots work for me though, maybe only once I think it didnt work but LAW is a complicated weapno to use when hitting people running through the air.

NADES! Holy Crap talk about NOT REGISTERING. Im playing in some server with 30 ping and Im steyring, I run out of bullets what do I do? Shove a nade on him. I can feel that it hit him since I see his body jerk down, but what? Huh? Hes not dead, omg now im going to die! W-D-F

Nades are vital to auto users, since they can be used in many ways. Today, 30 ping. Throw a nade infront of someone. What happens, he walks past it. Dont get it wrong, it blows up most of the time but nope. Not this one, and you dont know how made that is starting to make me.

I payed for this game, 9 dollaroos. Ive been playing since 1.2.0 and seriously, wth MM. Still no registering? Godammn. Stop swimming in the money and help us =(

Swarmer
January 5, 2006, 8:52 pm
Yeah I rarely play Soldat now.
And nades are even more vital to saw users. Seriously, someone try using a saw now. It is so ineffective. And nades are basically useless now. I usually have to hit someone 3 times to kill them.

EDIT: I think I officially quit soldat. At least for now. You guys don't think this is that big of a problem, but it is. At least for sawers. I am serious. SAWS RARELY KILL WHEN THEY SHOULD. NADES KILL LESS THAN HALF THE TIME. EVERY SINGLE GAME. These are NOT exaggerations. Not too many people use saw only so I am not getting much support or confirmation. But for all the people that I know that do saw, they agree with me. This is a big problem, and should be made a priority to fix.

GAMEOVER
January 6, 2006, 4:37 am
Hopefully now MM will listen to me since more and more people are noticeing just how bad stuff isnt registering. Just play like I do when your bored or w/e until the next version comes out and hopefully this register stuff is fixed. Havent seen ya in awhile lol your awesome with that saw.

The Geologist
January 6, 2006, 4:57 am
Has this thread shed any light on why it seems to happening to some, but not all? I, for one, don't agree with you Swarmer when you says nades don't register half the time. If this issue is there and present and as rampant as you say it is, why don't myself and others experience it? If it doesn't happen to us all, then it doesn't happen every single game. And if it only happens every single game to yourself and a select group, then it sounds like the issue is related to either the servers or your own computers. Is that so outlandish? Are those experiencing the problem in the majority of the minority? Have we determined that all of these cases are truely the result of Soldat and not some secondary cause? 'cause it sures as heck doesn't seem like it.

Chakra`
January 6, 2006, 5:14 am
I gave up two pages ago Geo, but you're welcome to try. Nothing seems that bad to me, still.

Swarmer
January 6, 2006, 7:39 am
Well, here is my point of reference:
- Hits registering were fine in 1.3.
- I had no major problems.
- 1.3.1 comes out.
- I did not change my computer or go anywhere.
- Suddenly "SAWS RARELY KILL WHEN THEY SHOULD. NADES KILL LESS THAN HALF THE TIME. EVERY SINGLE GAME. "
- This same problem happens to many people I know.

Not that you are accusing me of it, but why would I make this up? Why would I (and others) quit a game I have loved for so long?

I don't think I am being unreasonable. If it isn't Soldat's fault, it sure as hell isn't mine.
I don't know what's causing all the problems, but they are indeed problems.

Sneaky Bstard
January 6, 2006, 7:59 am
i think its all down to this "Pissy kid syndrome" the doctors have been warning us about

Deleted User
January 6, 2006, 9:10 am
I think it comes down to the fact that americans seem to have this problem more then euros. Im not 100% sure as to whether half of you are from the USA or not, and im not sure as to the locations of servers that foreign players tend to play on whether its around their country or over here in the USA. I did, however hear that the netcode eliminates more lag for people that are in a foreign server, rather then the people native to that server. Whether thats normal or purposely implemented, ive pondered that as being a possible reason as to why some people dont notice crap. They'll play in american servers, be from germany or something, wont notice crap because they cant, and then will post on these here forums saying americans are on drugs. Not that any of you have ever said that, or that all the whiners are typicaly americans and that the people not noticing crap are euros who play in american servers, although that might be the case which I do not know enough of an extent to say so, its basicly just an example of the idea im trying to come at, which leads up to this quick question.

For those people who dont notice any problems, do you play generally in servers around you, or foreign to you? Stupid question which might be answered with a correctional statement for my theory, but then again, im not good with these things.

Other then that idea but back to the topic at hand, it might not be the netcode, just a bug where damage in some instances will not connect. Its a possibility *shrug*.

Chakra`
January 6, 2006, 10:17 am
I play both euro and american servers. Agreed, not much difference between the two, as back in the introduction of 1.2, some new netcode was introduced that made playing on servers further away more plausible. Can't say I know much about it, but I think it was something along the lines of client or server side 'prediction' of where a person would be, based on current movements updated every second and such.

Since then, such coding hasn't changed. Server settings have however, as have the ways you can move. Backflip in 1.3, maximum movement speed removed in 1.2.1, and bink and self bink, which may have some faulty connection with the way servers predict projectile movements. But as far as i'm aware, nothing essentially new in 1.3.1

person
January 6, 2006, 1:40 pm
Is it possible that any introduced/removed code has affected anything which may lead to such a problem?

All I know is that this problem exists, and it seriously affects a persons enjoyment... despite rarely affecting myself as I mentioned before.
And nades just about never kill instantly anyway for me; I reckon there is some other problem with splash damage or something alongside this.

The Geologist
January 6, 2006, 8:59 pm
Extacide - I'm in the USA and I play a combination of American and Euro servers, and I still do not notice this problem. So far it feels like Dephilles first point seems the most logical to me...with the increased pace of the game. But that wouldn't explain why it happens to some of the community and not the rest..

DePhille
January 6, 2006, 9:47 pm
It still explains that ;o
I just don't know why UDP fails more on one PC than the other (Maybe ISP?) I don't know...

Edit: The problem is that this can be completely random too , so if you had two PC's with the same ISP you still aren't sure on the results if you test it.

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
January 6, 2006, 10:25 pm
I've noticed a vast increase in the number of shots from barret that have hit and not killed in 1.3.1 than previous. Aside from that, the whole hit-but-didnt thing seems the same as before.

Deleted User
January 7, 2006, 12:01 am
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistExtacide - I'm in the USA and I play a combination of American and Euro servers, and I still do not notice this problem. So far it feels like Dephilles first point seems the most logical to me...with the increased pace of the game. But that wouldn't explain why it happens to some of the community and not the rest..

Well, then I guess you must aim for the lag rather then the soldat. Im pretty sure everyone who has the problem with hits not registering know well enough that a moving soldat has to be shot infront of. I know that quite well, I wouldnt be as well known as I am even if thats barely if I couldnt hit soldats without knowing that. I guess you have to shoot a little farther ahead. But thats still a problem if the soldat you see is 1-2 seconds behind himself. But it doesnt explain really how you can shoot a guy whos standing still, all head shots, and it taking 4-5 shots. I remember someone mentioned that too.

frogboy
January 7, 2006, 1:06 am
quote:Originally posted by DePhilleIt still explains that ;o
I just don't know why UDP fails more on one PC than the other (Maybe ISP?) I don't know...
It could be the computer's modem, ethernet card, or some program intefering with the network.

Swarmer
January 7, 2006, 7:17 am
Guys, it has nothing to do with teh intarweb.

These same problems happen with bots.

Therefore it is a problem with the actual gameplay elements. And maybe just for some people, somehow.

I think it could be one of those really subtle bugs. Like the invisible double nade bug before. Only sawers would get it, and even they couldn't tell except by the random deaths and kills (I'm glad it's fixed now; the random kills don't make up for the frustrating random suicides). Why would only sawers get that bug? It must have been something really subtle. It is probably the same way with this current problem. Me and other people are doing something that makes only half our shots actually exist?

Either way, SOMETHING is wrong. It it's not an internet issue.

GAMEOVER
January 7, 2006, 7:27 am
We can all sit here and go back and forth for another 4 pages but its gonna be the same stuff, some of us KNOW their is a problem lets just hope its looked at very close by MM.

Gortaak
January 7, 2006, 10:00 am
well, i agree with swarmer, as i spam nades like they are going out of style and i notice that they dont kill on impact very often although they never really did for me, i also see alot of m79 hits not register, either hitting me, and doing nothing, or i see them hit other poeple and do nothing at all, and even more frustrating is when teh m79 shell COMPLETELY misses me, like by almost an inch, and it still blows up and kills me, that gets annoying as fawk.
also, with the chainsaw it doesnt kill like it used to, i know cause every so often i run around with the saw only, and sometimes i have to pass the same person 2 sometimes even 3 times before they die, but its not really bad, but most of the non registering seems to come with the explosives, i never see barret shots not register, Rugar shots, only once in a while dont register, and sometimes the knife, and this happens on all servers that i play on. so it happens to me as well, so something must be up

DePhille
January 7, 2006, 12:19 pm
I can tell one thing forsure: I only had it once with the bots and an M79 , all the rest registered though (A nade doesn't always kill an enemy).
But indeed , it still happens.

I think there might be a problem with the gameplay and that the UDP problem really pulls out and multiplies that gameplay problem.
But what it also could be is this:
If you play singleplayer it might be that Soldat creates a firewalled server only accepting connections from 127.0.0.1 , still via UDP (it is possible) but I don't have a clue on how Soldat runs singleplayer.

In English: When you start a singleplayer game , Soldat starts a server , like you would have selected "Internet" as the conection and "Register in Lobby server" as an option. The only thing that happened is that those two options were left out , making it impossible for other people to see your game or join it (via direct IP).
It is possible to set up an "internet" connection from your computer to your own computer (IP 127.0.0.1) , you test that by starting a dedicated server (when you're offline) and then opening Soldat and joining this server: 127.0.0.1:23073 , it will work.
So I just think it makes a closed "dedicated" server , only accepting connections from the local PC , when you start a singleplayer game. If that's the case Soldat still uses UDP and I don't know exactly how reliable UDP is but it might be that even then some packets get lost.

Note: The chainsaw really is another case. It "fires" VERY inaccurate , but very fast and powerful (see your weapons.ini). When you run trough a player I think there are like one or two 'bullets' that could hit the player , the others will end up left or right of the player.
But because it is so innacurate it could be that those X bullets that could have hit the player randomly appear above him and thus making ppl think that it was not registering. This is often mistaked.

PS:I tried to explain this without difficult sentences etc. , if you still have problems just ask me to rewrite it :P

Grtz , DePhille

headstone
January 7, 2006, 6:25 pm
I agree with swarmer. The saw should be one hit, and double the fire rate. If you run through someone with an active saw (and draw blood), they should [CENSORED]ing die!

Swarmer
January 7, 2006, 7:06 pm
I'm going to cut my internet connection for a few minutes and try playing single player and see what happens.

But I don't think the saw's inaccuracy is the problem. Only the ammo and reload rate has changed from 1.3, and the 1.3 one worked fine. Maybe it was the fixing of the double nade bug? That was probably the only other change to the saw.

DePhille
January 8, 2006, 12:42 am
Dunno why it doesn't work then.
Cutting off your internet won't avoid UDP (if Soldat still uses UDP in singleplayer).
UDP connections can be made from your PC to your PC , even without a network card.

I don't know why 1.3.1 has more problems than 1.3.
UDP Misses packts , but there's aprolly also some error in the gameplay of Soldat.

Grtz , DePhille

3rd_account
January 9, 2006, 9:31 am
quote:Originally posted by headstoneI agree with swarmer. The saw should be one hit, and double the fire rate. If you run through someone with an active saw (and draw blood), they should [CENSORED]ing die!

Same should apply if you hit someone with two deagle shots in the head. Same goes for MP5 bullet, AK bullet, Steyr bullet, twelve pellets from a shotgun, Ruger bullet, tank piercing .50 caliber round from a barret when wearing vest, Minimi bullet, Minigun bullet, soccom bullet, a grenade going off in your face, LAW and M79 exploding half a meter from you. But a slash from a chainsaw by a single blade the size of your thumbnail on your stomach should not be 1-hit-kill.

Yay for Soldat realism! Do teh waveh! \o/o/o\o/

Back on the OnTopic train:
First of all there are unregistered hits and there are unregistered hits. The most common one is related to lag where the player isn't where the screen displays him at... bummer. The other one that pisses people off in clan wars is the one where, as it seems, the damaging effect and force of the impact doesn't execute together. Thus hitting the enemy flagger with M79 and him only getting boosted. It's either packet loss or flaw in the netcode. Or both! ;Q

Unregistered hits has been a noticable issue since 1.2 came out. The reason it wasn't brought up so often was because every boy and girl ran around with barrets up their bums. No lies and excuses now, Swarmer & co. It IS due to the changes Aquarius made. "50% more efficient netcode!" Michal woho'ed, but at the cost of Soldats soul. For every version following, [CENSORED]/the swiss makes another hole in the cheese that is our pond of registering hits.

I've tested hundreds solutions to try and fix it. Everything from playing LAN with bots to M79 duels with finns on server with unnormal settings such as cheese...

Standard values in paranthesis:

T1_Snapshot=20 (40)
T1_MajorSnapshot=9 (20)
T1_DeadSnapshot=25 (50)
T1_Heartbeat=67 (139)
T1_Delta=2 (4)
T1_Ping=10 (21)
T1_ThingSnapshot=14 (29)
PacketRate_Adjusting=0 (1)

What I got was that it doesn't happen as often as on a crummy gather server, but it still happens. There is also the old ShowRealLag=1 setting in the file that could be tested with. Haven't gotten around to it yet, and I can't now because I'm already writing this post. And I don't like the idea of having this page up all day.

3rd_account
January 9, 2006, 9:37 am
Oh come on. Is 54t4n such a bad word? Might as well censor all religions and gods while you're at it.

Swarmer
January 9, 2006, 11:25 pm
hmm...

I'm suffereing from so much soldat withdraw that I think I'll give it another shot.

I miss my saw :(

dimitri
January 19, 2006, 1:16 pm
i havent been playing as long as you guys, ( started playing back in mid 2005 ) but i think the lag is a combination of the actual collision code the bullets use and the little bit of lag clients get.

just a little bit of programmer nerdage :)

Most programmers use loops to check whether a collision is taking place,so i assume MMs code for a bullet would be

for(i=0; i<bullet_speed; i+=1)
// collision code
As most programmers know, Loops are extremely fast, the code you see above me would be executed every frame * the bullets speed. so thats REAL fast.

So that would check every frame whether there the bullet is colliding with a little soldat, what i am thinking then is the lag is causing the little soldat to jump forward whilst the loop is being executed. kinda like a real fast train coming towards you and the lag causes you to jump out of the way, and then jump back on the train track when the train has gone.(the train being the bullet)

btw yes i realized i posted this twice but i thought this forum would have an edit function >.<

Chakra`
January 19, 2006, 1:26 pm
It does.

This little button at the top of your post will allow you to edit your post: [IMAGE]

But no worries ...i'll delete your other post for you. (this button: [IMAGE])

person
January 19, 2006, 5:01 pm
I've seen that happen in game, dimitri, but it still doesn't explain the odd direct shot which causes blood to spray forth from the target, yet cause zero damage.

dimitri
February 12, 2006, 12:40 am
nope, but data could be arriving late to each of the soldats...in fact it does, ive found if i shoot ahead of where soldat's are going, it does damage to them, yet the bullet keeps going on as if it never hit the soldat. Happens with nades,bullets,knifes, havent seen it done with LAW's or M79 grenades though.

Was bad shot registration evident in any of the previous versions before 1.2.1?

person
February 12, 2006, 2:20 am
dimitri, this happens with a direct shot on a NON-MOVING target. Has nothing at all to do with lag, at least in that sense.

The guy I know still experiences this a hell of a lot. In a non-laggy server, I noticed it happen about 10 times in 15 minutes, with the ruger and M79.

GAMEOVER
February 12, 2006, 3:27 am
 Quote:Originally posted by persondimitri, this happens with a direct shot on a NON-MOVING target. Has nothing at all to do with lag, at least in that sense.

The guy I know still experiences this a hell of a lot. In a non-laggy server, I noticed it happen about 10 times in 15 minutes, with the ruger and M79.

and nades, expecially nades.

DeLarge
February 12, 2006, 5:27 am
Dimitri, don't bump.

dragontamer
February 13, 2006, 6:30 am
 Quote:Originally posted by DePhilleIt still explains that ;o

Edit: The problem is that this can be completely random too , so if you had two PC's with the same ISP you still aren't sure on the results if you test it.

Grtz , DePhille

There is no way it could be UDP vs TCP when a Shotgun hits me; propels me forward, yet does not effect my HP.

Either that, or it was a team player who hit me :-/

As far as I know: 1.3.1 was the weakening of Knives. People think knives still OHKO, but they don't. Everyone hears the thump, but everything thinks the knife should have killed.

1. M79 hits me (on my screen), and I do not die.
Theory: Maybe I threw a nade, and they collided in the air. ??

2. Nade "explodes" too late. I'm dead, the nade is still on the ground, and then it explodes :-/

3. Ruger, blood thingy comming out. 4 shots on the guy and he doesn't die.

4. Shooting in the air in front of your enemy may kill him.

5. It hits on my screen, server registers it as a miss.

This is the most solid lead I got. Something extremely specific I think is valuable to programmers.

When a player is moving fast upwards (nade), throw a knife at their legs. On the knifer's computer, you should see the knife hit the guy, and then fall.

But the player doesn't die, nor does he get hurt.

However, when you go and pick-up the knife, it isn't there, but the knife would be where it is as if you threw it at the air.

This happens rarely, but I'm sure we can reproduce the bug. Just give me a time to test it (and a server).

dimitri
February 14, 2006, 6:53 pm
i wasnt bumping i was replying and saying something useful, so shhh.

headstone
February 18, 2006, 5:27 pm
Wow. I don't notice this at all. Exept with saw, and only rarely.

But any of these other guns? I'm thinking some people are exaggerating a tad...

Swarmer
February 18, 2006, 6:20 pm
Could soldat have had any changes to how it sends information? I know that my campus uses Resnet which blocks all incoming TCP connections or soemthing, so maybe in 1.3.1 some TCP thingy was added to soldat? This could be why only some people were affected. Maybe thier TCP thing is also screwed up.

Do any of you beta testers know if there is an effort to fix this in the new version?

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 6:46 pm
SHOTS NOT REGISTERING IS A DISADVANTAGE OF NOT HAVING THREE T3 LINES.

a-4-year-old
February 18, 2006, 9:58 pm
only 3?

(one hundredith post in this topic)

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 11:20 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldonly 3?

(one hundredith post in this topic)

hm..... maybe 5....

But I remember seeing someone solve out the maximum speed possible to reach a server on the other side of the hemisphere (US to China kinda crap), and I've heard the max by the speed of light is around 300 ms (correct me if I'm wrong).

So yeah, NEVER try to join a european server from the US and expect your shots to register.

Deleted User
February 19, 2006, 2:02 am
A funny part with knives is if you throw it and it hitssomeone, sometimes it will deal damage and spawn another knife going in the same path as the one you threw. I don't know what would do it..

Deleted User
February 19, 2006, 2:47 am
 Quote:Originally posted by ZamorakA funny part with knives is if you throw it and it hitssomeone, sometimes it will deal damage and spawn another knife going in the same path as the one you threw. I don't know what would do it..

Knife spawning is an essential part of playing "knifematch"