( search forums )
realistic vs standard?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
derBonobo
December 19, 2005, 5:50 pm
which one takes more skill?

i like some stuff about realism mode (and some not), maybe the two should be merged?

edit: btw, the "you killed yourself" msg when winning in survial mode can be pretty annoying at times :P

Moved from Game Improvements to General Discussion. - Stalky

person
December 20, 2005, 3:04 pm
Each has its own way of playing... I definitely don't want to see the two modes merged. I'd say you need to have more skill in soldat to be competetive in realistic mode than in normal.

Deleted User
December 20, 2005, 3:08 pm
quote:Originally posted by personEach has its own way of playing... I definitely don't want to see the two modes merged. I'd say you need to have more skill in soldat to be competetive in realistic mode than in normal.

God i love Realistic and Survival mode <3 Nevah merge "stantard" and realistic.. :)

Nice website: www.soldat-lra.net ;)

numgun
December 20, 2005, 3:20 pm
both take lots of skill, in realistic u are just more fragile.

derBonobo
December 20, 2005, 4:50 pm
the problem is that standard mode is usually used in tournaments... so i think it would be best to include all things "skillfull" in standard, and call the other mode "arcade".

i like:
- falling damage (easy to prevent anyway)
- recoil (aiming is harder)

don´t like:
- hp are imo too low (no real rocket jumping, hard to escape under fire, lucky shots)
- line of sight (promotes lucky kills)

.Twelve
December 20, 2005, 6:35 pm
Health doesn't change.
Your weapons are just stronger.
Line of site adds so much more skill to the game. Having to constantly turn around at the slightest sound really gets you into it =D.

I love RS and am an avid supporter of it. The kill message at the end of the round was necessary. In 1.2.1 flag and spawncamping was horrible. But I still think just telporting the players back would be better.

Echo_Trail
December 20, 2005, 7:42 pm
#Realistic#FTW

It's much faster.. I think normal mode is too spawn-kill-die//repeat based.

Raptor
December 21, 2005, 12:11 am
I always play Realistic mode.

Last time I played standart was since 1.2.1

Chonoryoku
December 21, 2005, 12:18 am
quote:Originally posted by FiredoveHealth doesn't change.
Your weapons are just stronger.No... health is lower.

MisterX
December 21, 2005, 12:27 am
I nearly never play realistic. I like Soldat because of the gameplay you get in "Standard Mode". Realistic Mode can be fun, but I don't wanna play it seriously. Also, the problem is, Soldat isn't balanced for Realistic Mode. What we base the balance on is the most-played Standard Mode. But a seperate weapons.ini for Realistic Mode has been suggested, and probably we'll have it in the next version.

karmazon
December 21, 2005, 12:28 am
I never play realistic, because of Aquarius' FOV idea

derBonobo
December 21, 2005, 12:33 am
quote:Originally posted by Chonoryokuquote:Originally posted by FiredoveHealth doesn't change.
Your weapons are just stronger.No... health is lower.

anyway ^^
too low health/strong weapons currently limits rocket jumping (and i like rocket jumping ^^). maybe the damage falloff should be higher... sure, it´s not exactly *realistic*, but does anyone actually play that mode for a more realistic feeling? it´s all about the fun/skill for me...

Kaider
December 21, 2005, 12:51 am
quote:Originally posted by Echo_Trail#Realistic#FTW

It's much faster.. I think normal mode is too spawn-kill-die//repeat based.

Hells yeah. Standard mode isn't nearly as fast-paced, adrenaline pumping, and heart quickening as realistic mode. Heart qickening example- I was playing a game in I think Leo's regular CTF (FULL wasn't available yet :P), and I was nearly ready to cap the flag, and I'm seconds away. I jet up a vertical tunnel and when I get to the top, SURPRISE!!! My enemy is there,not camping, but on their way to camp. We killed each other, but they managed to cap the flag before my last bullet hit 'em.

Aquarius
December 21, 2005, 1:49 am
quote:Originally posted by karmazonI never play realistic, because of Aquarius' FOV idea

[CENSORED] I believe much more people started to play realistic afer 1.2 release thanks to the new FOV.

karmazon
December 21, 2005, 2:02 am
Where the hell did you come from ?

DragonSlayer
December 21, 2005, 2:28 am
Realistic is fun every now and then but I definitely prefer standard and I also thinks it takes more skill. Soldat was created for that purpose, and the game is based around the standard mode. Realistic has some serious issues such as big balance problems, because weapons like Barret (especially in 1.3.1) or M79 aren't very effective. Also, I think that you die so fast that you don't always need to have the same amount of skill which you need in standard where you have longer fights against many opponents and you have to pay attention to more things at once. Also, I don't like that you lose hp when you fall from too high, but that's just me. That has nothing to do with skill really, in my opinion.

If there was one thing which required more skill in realistic, I'd say that it's because you can't see players around corners. Of course that applies to everyone, but that makes you more vulnerable and it's not as easy to camp or follow other players' movement. That's one thing I like in realistic. Navigating by sound is more important and it adds a lot to the realistic mode.

Still, I'm going with standard, definitely.

Captain Ben
December 21, 2005, 5:06 am
I'd like to see realistic mode's way of seeing other players mixed with standard mde, simply for the outrageously fun stealthy-ness of it, and also because I hate realistic for the recoil and falling damage and low health.

But hey, that's just me :P

Deleted User
December 21, 2005, 5:58 am
The only modes I really like to play now are Realistic/Survival and have been for a long time. Normal mode can be harder though, when it comes to taking a lot longer to kill an oponent without a 1 hit kill weapon.

- Tek -
December 21, 2005, 6:15 am
Only part I hate is the recoil. I have to continuously pull my mouse down, and then I run outta room, I got to like pick up the mouse and move it back into place, and with optical mouses it makes a bigger mess.

Deleted User
December 21, 2005, 7:19 am
Heh, yeah but that is what burst firing is for, unless you mean ruger. Don't hold the mouse down for too many seconds, or just tap the mouse, if you use auto.

- Tek -
December 21, 2005, 7:54 am
I use deagles, I usually rush in, and hope for a triple kill.

Echo_Trail
December 21, 2005, 8:30 am
quote:Originally posted by Captain BenI'd like to see realistic mode's way of seeing other players mixed with standard mde, simply for the outrageously fun stealthy-ness of it, and also because I hate realistic for the recoil and falling damage and low health.

Ben is on to something here.. About mixing the soldat realistic field-of-view thingy with normal mode.. In realistic, what usually blows your cover is, that you have to jet in order not to harm yourself before landing on ground, but in normal mode, you can be absolutely silant. Only here you can be seen even though your enemy is facing backwards.
If someone made a mod where you couldn't see the bullets(or they should just be hard to see), realistic field-of-view was on, and there were no such thing as fall damage, it would be the perfect assassin game. You'd never know what hit you:D
Imagine proning silently on an open battlefield. hiding behind some bush or whatever, knowing that 2 or 3 other snipers are out there. You spot one, but if you shoot, you gotta be able to flee quickly, 'cause someone has their scope somewhere near you. Ofcourse the mod should include one other feature: The crosshair shouldn't turn green when on an enemy. This would be so cool...
echo out

Ranzear
December 21, 2005, 8:37 am
My Apoca City zombie map is centered around Realistic mode, both to hide the zombies until they're ready to jump you and to keep you from getting a little too airborne when the zombies want a piece of your bum.

If fall damage scaling was added like the advance mode kills-for-gun was added then it would be near-perfect.

- Tek -
December 21, 2005, 8:44 am
I would like to have just the realistic view in regular mode for a challenge, that's the part I liked teh most.

Captain Ben
December 21, 2005, 11:54 am
quote:Originally posted by Echo_Trailquote:Originally posted by Captain BenI'd like to see realistic mode's way of seeing other players mixed with standard mde, simply for the outrageously fun stealthy-ness of it, and also because I hate realistic for the recoil and falling damage and low health.

Ben is on to something here.. About mixing the soldat realistic field-of-view thingy with normal mode.. In realistic, what usually blows your cover is, that you have to jet in order not to harm yourself before landing on ground, but in normal mode, you can be absolutely silant. Only here you can be seen even though your enemy is facing backwards.
If someone made a mod where you couldn't see the bullets(or they should just be hard to see), realistic field-of-view was on, and there were no such thing as fall damage, it would be the perfect assassin game. You'd never know what hit you:D
Imagine proning silently on an open battlefield. hiding behind some bush or whatever, knowing that 2 or 3 other snipers are out there. You spot one, but if you shoot, you gotta be able to flee quickly, 'cause someone has their scope somewhere near you. Ofcourse the mod should include one other feature: The crosshair shouldn't turn green when on an enemy. This would be so cool...
echo out

It'd just be fun. I only play realistic occasionally for it's fun field of view... I hate everything else in it. If there were to be a mode like this, I'd spooge myself everytime I'd play it.

Inquisitor
December 21, 2005, 6:34 pm
yeah tek. agree

Deleted User
December 21, 2005, 8:16 pm
I play only realistic. Its a lot of fun!
And the most [CENSORED]ty thing on standart is that u see enemys everywhere. I hate it ...he is behind a poly isle and he is w8in , u are w8in...weird.

derBonobo
December 22, 2005, 2:35 am
funny... i like everything *except* line of sight.

UGK
December 22, 2005, 3:51 am
Realistic All the way. It's like playing CS in 2d. You can hear footsteps, reloading guns, and jets. Never really play Standard. Just maybe in u13 once in a while...

Deleted User
December 22, 2005, 7:35 am
Yeah, RS is the way to go. So many skilled people on it,and it's so much more fun and challenging. I've played 3 regular games since 1.2.1.
The line of sight,dying faster,bink,it's so much more realistic and I like realistic.

- Tek -
December 23, 2005, 2:58 am
I can't survival, I hate the waiting.

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 4:01 pm
quote:Originally posted by UGKRealistic All the way. It's like playing CS in 2d. You can hear footsteps, reloading guns, and jets. Never really play Standard. Just maybe in u13 once in a while...

Lol to be honest I got the point but sounds of that u hear in normal too...so the point of real isnt in sound , but from them u can know wheres ur foe.

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 6:22 pm
Realistic, is more fun fun for me. Whats this FOV thing? I havent played soldat since 1.2 and just picked it up again

MisterX
December 23, 2005, 6:50 pm
FOV = Field of View. Meant is the feature that you can't see enemies who your "soldier" can't see "with his own eyes".

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 6:51 pm
I play realistic

Cookie.
December 23, 2005, 7:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by - Tek -Only part I hate is the recoil. I have to continuously pull my mouse down, and then I run outta room, I got to like pick up the mouse and move it back into place, and with optical mouses it makes a bigger mess.

Thats my main problem with it as well :P Your gun ends up pointing straight up in the air... I always thought it was a bit to extreme :(

Ebby
December 23, 2005, 8:37 pm
I haven't been playing Soldat for very long, but I've tried both and I just prefer realistic. It gives more of a challenge, and is just more entertaining, IMO.

Deleted User
December 31, 2005, 8:18 pm
Two bad things about realistic. When using ruger I need to move mouse down all the time and run out of space for my hand. Second - when I roll at falling I do not reduce the damage done, but flying before landing - not cool, it slows me down.

Ty68794
January 1, 2006, 2:19 am
quote:Originally posted by

Hey guys, here's my newest song, titled "druid song": "how sweet is your elixir, how harsh is your adversary, upon desolate spirals and wastelands, you dwell. o druid, urban dove, alone in your sullen coven, in fading terrain, your glory will glide."

scarface
January 3, 2006, 8:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by Ty68794quote:Originally posted by

Yeah right. Just what I wanted to say.

Soldat standard = Super-Mario with guns. Skill haha

Soldat realistic, very nice to rival CS but could use some refinement. Like roll after falling for stealth, some specific weapon tweaks.

dadarkman
January 4, 2006, 9:04 pm
I want more realistic servers!

Deleted User
January 4, 2006, 9:23 pm
Wow I see so much ppl like real here and I never met them before.
And Ye MORE REALISTIC SERVERS!

Mr. Domino
January 6, 2006, 10:55 am
quote:Originally posted by - Tek -I would like to have just the realistic view in regular mode for a challenge, that's the part I liked teh most.

I'm in the same boat. I like the idea of a mode with limited vision, but I loathe "realistic" firing changes and survival mode. Having a gun jerk back when you shoot is no fun to me. Why would a soldier have difficulty firing a gun? Why would you want to disrupt the gameplay in such a useless manner? As far as survival mode, it promotes camping; last one standing more or less seems to be the way to win, so camp and win.

John O
January 9, 2006, 7:35 pm
is it just me, or ar ethe weapons a lot more balanced in realistic mode? everyone seems to complain about the sniper and mortar in standard, but in realistic mode a 1 shot kill isnt such a huge advantage. it seems to me htat you have to be much better wiht the 1sk guns in realistic, and you simply cant own a whole team by yourself. amazingly, teamwork is far superior. well, thats my take on it.

Deleted User
January 9, 2006, 7:47 pm
Mortar? If you mean law, then yeah. You can actually own a whole team by yourself, ususally if they really stink. Yeah, teamwork can help; like them telling you where the enemy is while they are still living.