( search forums )
(moved) Does anybody actually use full screen?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
shoover
December 20, 2005, 7:16 am
I dont like it, it covers too much room, and memory. Whenever my comp gets a message, it unfull-screens itself, i hate it.

Echo_Trail
December 20, 2005, 7:22 am
i use it.. actually it's the only way i play.

The Geologist
December 20, 2005, 7:30 am
Whenever your comp gets a message? Sounds like a problem on your end. I full screen often, but that's simply because my comp isn't recieving messages all the time and I don't experience any issues with the comp taking me out of game..go fig ^_^.

edak
December 20, 2005, 7:46 am
i never play windowed, maybe i will give it a shot

cooz
December 20, 2005, 8:03 am
lol, soldat in full screen takes same amount of memory as in window mode :P

aprilninety
December 20, 2005, 8:14 am
but it takes less energy to move the mouse and eyes in windowed mode ;)!

The Geologist
December 20, 2005, 8:23 am
Your arguement is relatively moot...it takes a tiny fraction less energy to move the mouse, etc. in fullscreen as opposed to windowed mode.

DeLarge
December 20, 2005, 8:29 am
I use full-screen.

karmazon
December 20, 2005, 9:42 am
I never used windowed mode, because it is sucks

Soulsnipa
December 20, 2005, 9:52 am
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistWhenever your comp gets a message? Sounds like a problem on your end. I full screen often, but that's simply because my comp isn't recieving messages all the time and I don't experience any issues with the comp taking me out of game..go fig ^_^.

somoone isnt popular :P

frogboy
December 20, 2005, 10:04 am
quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipasomoone isnt popular :P
Yeah - you.

The Geologist
December 20, 2005, 10:12 am
quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipa
somoone
Someoone? Maybe Someone?

MisterX
December 20, 2005, 10:18 am
I think most people use fullscreen, as it is also the default setting.
I used to use window mode for very long, perhaps around 1.5 - 2 of the 3 years i'm playing Soldat now. I thought it's better, because I could watch chat windows while playing, because the graphics look better, and since I thought I could move the mouse faster. But I've totally changed my mind. In clanwars I can not watch other windows anyway, the graphics are worse but because of everything being bigger, you can "see better" (for example notice hidecampers more easily), and the mousespeed is actually the same, as it only depends on your settings.
So fullscreen definitely is an advantage, and with my second monitor I can even watch chat windows now while playing some game for fun :P

Pr0p3r
December 20, 2005, 12:45 pm
<- plays @ fullscreen.
at a 17 inch monitor @ 1204*768 i can't see the actions big enough in window mode, so thats why.

numgun
December 20, 2005, 1:01 pm
i play always in full screen coz in window mode
u might accidently fire ur gun out side the
window and whoops! ur back on ur desktop! :P

Deleted User
December 20, 2005, 1:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by numguni play always in full screen coz in window mode
u might accidently fire ur gun out side the
window and whoops! ur back on ur desktop! :P

That's impossible :/

I use window mode, it pwnzxzx

mar77a
December 20, 2005, 2:30 pm
Windowed mode ftw. Msn and other stuff.

Deleted User
December 20, 2005, 2:41 pm
I use fullscreen. only thing that bothers me with it, is when I minimize the game, it goes haywire and minimize and unminimize a few times before I can play again.

Saint-Cross
December 20, 2005, 2:55 pm
The question is, does anyone use windowed mode anymore?

numgun
December 20, 2005, 3:18 pm
to phycho: same thing here

DePhille
December 20, 2005, 3:32 pm
I always play Soldat in fullscreen.
Playing in windowed mode just looks like a DOS game , the fullscreen kinda hides the 640*480 resolution.

Grtz , DePhille

matapatos
December 20, 2005, 3:49 pm
Does anybody actually play in windowed screen?

oh right, shoover does :P

lieroguy
December 20, 2005, 4:18 pm
One time I may play windowed is when I'm getting a lot of retarded messages from well-meaning people through my instant messenger programs... then every time it minimizes or i alt-tab it, I have a chance of not only locking the game up, but making it unplayable untill I reinitialize my graphics accelerator program.

_Mancer_
December 20, 2005, 4:30 pm
I play on half screen. (windowed mode)

reckon
December 20, 2005, 4:53 pm
I too use windowed mode, fullscreen is just too big for my taste on this 19" monitor.
I find it easier to slay in windowed mode.

Golum
December 20, 2005, 5:56 pm
On my notebook i play Window mode, becau it has a LCD Display, on the PC i use Full screen (19 Zoll)

mustafa
December 20, 2005, 7:31 pm
Personally I find fullscreen annoying, and my aim/coordination isn't as good with it :(

Keron Cyst
December 20, 2005, 7:38 pm
I see grenades more easily and can concentrate better in fullscreen but lately I've been playing only windowed (you don't have to wait for the monitor to fizz out; very useful for playtesting, which I've been doing a lot recently) ;-)

.alex.oner.
December 20, 2005, 7:57 pm
windows mode \o/

you can multi task, play soldat and watch for important messages in irc :é

and Keron Cyst, edit your nades to white or another bright colour to see them better.. (common sense: on)

shoover
December 20, 2005, 7:59 pm
Full screen is retarded, Windowed mode doesnt look like a DOS Game, Full screen does, i can be able to see things outside of soldat (like the aim messages that i was talking about) and obviously a (i wont mention) fcuken retard doesnt know what messages i mean, AIM, maybe the "Your windows is up to date".

BTW I know alot of people that use windows mode, its because they actually have more stuff to do then be a fat fcuk and sit on the computer doing nothing but soldat and saying "I PWN j00"

Deleted User
December 21, 2005, 12:35 am
Shoover, just because people play in full screen, it doesnt mean they're a fat nerd with nothing else to do. They're playing a game. Grow up.

I prefer windowed mode. I can keep track of my MSN Messages, although I rarely even answer them when im playing, and because full screen screws me up after playing in windowed for so long. <3

Deleted User
December 21, 2005, 12:41 am
The mode windowed prefers my taste.

Raptor
December 21, 2005, 12:47 am
I always play Fullscreen

It's the only way I can

Deleted User
December 21, 2005, 1:05 am
I always play fullscreen, as I can see everything more easily and save the msn, irc etc for after the game so that I can have a proper conversation without autos etc going off in my ear while some noob is killing my stationary soldat and thinks hes pwned me :P

Unlucky 13
December 21, 2005, 1:06 am
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistYour arguement is relatively moot...it takes a tiny fraction less energy to move the mouse, etc. in fullscreen as opposed to windowed mode.

...If none at all, the are the same resolution (if thats the right word), considering you still have to move it across 400 pixels on windowed as well as on fullscreen, like MisterX has already said (I was GOING to post yesterday but my internet bombed out...)
I used to play on fullscreen, but it always seems that you lose focus on whats outside of the window when truly concentrating. I can also still check on the time, connection speed of my wireless network and such when I'm not concentrating.
Also, there is a better way to play fullscreen, set the game to windowed in the configuration, then right-click the short-cut you use, Properties > Compatibility Tab, then tick the "Run in 640 * 480 screen resolution". I find it runs quicker, that way, and doesn't wait so long between menu-to-game scenarios.

DragonSlayer
December 21, 2005, 2:30 am
I couldn't play without full screen. I need it to take my whole monitor, because it's larger that way and it's easier to focus. I don't play music while I play Soldat either. :(

Michal
December 21, 2005, 3:52 am
I always have, and always will play in fullscreen.
Also, my gfx mods are meant to be viewed in fullscreen.

TheRelinquished
December 21, 2005, 4:17 am
Windowed mode?

Ew...

Captain Ben
December 21, 2005, 5:01 am
quote:Originally posted by PsychoI use fullscreen. only thing that bothers me with it, is when I minimize the game, it goes haywire and minimize and unminimize a few times before I can play again.

I hate that. I swear that all the update pop ups for my software come up when I'm playing Soldat.

MWTBDLTR
December 22, 2005, 3:56 am
Wait i was wondering, every time i play in FS it glitches a few times when i end a game. So does this stop after a while?

Deleted User
December 22, 2005, 7:29 am
I always play full. Can't play on windowed,and since i put my cursor past my target,i often go offscreen.
Also, I just recently quit listening to music on soldat.
I love being able to hear everyone on realistic survival. Gives you a HUGE edge.

Spectral
December 22, 2005, 5:08 pm
I think if I had started off using windowed mode I would still be using it, but I'm used to fullscreen so I keep it that way. Seems more natural

I don't listen to anything while playing soldat.

XenocidE
December 22, 2005, 7:47 pm
I am the windowed user. Switching back from 1280x1024 to an 800x600 resolution hurts my eyes way to much.

Deleted User
December 22, 2005, 8:08 pm
I've never even played windowed mode before, and I don't plan to--I imagine it's much less immersive that way, and any good gamer knows that immersion is an extremely important factor to a game's enjoyability.

Besides, 800x600 graphics in a window at a 1280x1024 resolution does not look better--it's just a lot smaller, and thus it only serves to put more strain on the eyes.

SERIAL KILLeR
December 22, 2005, 9:26 pm
I use streched mode ^.^

XenocidE
December 23, 2005, 12:46 am
I actually do believe it looks better in windowed. The graphics aren't as pixelated at such a large resolution.

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 3:37 am
I find it much easier to move around in Full, but much easier to aim in Windowed.

For the past year or so I've used only full, but just recently I've started using windowed.

Ranzear
December 23, 2005, 3:58 am
I'm completely vice-versa from Swazo, I find it hard to move around in full screen (because everything scrolls faster, even though the screen is the same resolution) but easier to aim because the mouse sensitivity is more balanced.

KiKAzz
December 23, 2005, 4:37 am
I use fullsreen most of the time. But then again, windowed mode is good if your using chat clients.

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 4:55 am
Windowed is good when you still like to see your Windows count

Spectral
December 23, 2005, 5:56 am
yes I would agree that it is more conveniant. seeing if people message you and what not..but then again it could distract

Kaider
December 23, 2005, 6:30 am
Windows mode is teh pwnz0rz! You can keep track of Instant Messages, for me, I can keep track of my MSN. I never turn on my AIM while playing Soldat,I have obnoxious friends that don't know about my MSN.

Ebby
December 23, 2005, 6:44 am
I've never used full screen before. I know it'd be useful to focus more on the game, but I always have my messenger programs up and I like to see if anyone is messaging me.

Maxx
December 23, 2005, 10:18 pm
My res is 1600X1200, and I use full screen.

Yay for me.

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 10:28 pm
i play with fullscreen

Deleted User
December 24, 2005, 2:45 am
i use half screen, for enemy territory, america's army and soldat, so i can still use xfire and msn on the other half. for jedi outcast i switch back and forth.......becus im ob315t

vash763
December 24, 2005, 6:20 pm
My [CENSORED]ty computer at home like wont let me play full screen.

So everytime I come here to my Dad's I have to adjust to full screen (which I prefer).

Damn I'm lazy.