( search forums )
CTF Laos Remix
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
mike323
December 20, 2005, 5:12 pm
ctf_LaosRemix.pms

My first true map made with PolyWorks

[IMAGE]

Note: This does include some new scenery, make sure to install it (/scenery-gfx)

-------------
Updated Version (v3):
http://www.jbserver.com/forums/attachments/8502_LaosRemix.zip

Update
- Fixed the texture problem
- Changed the filename to "ctf_LaosRemix" instead of "ctf_SL-LaosRemix"
--------------
Updated Version (v2):

Update
- Added a bottom route
- Changed the background
- Roughed up the smooth
- Added more scenery
- Fixed many shading issues
--------------

numgun
December 20, 2005, 5:42 pm
good but the low route should have more hills and holes otherwise the whole upper part is useless.

Outcast
December 20, 2005, 6:49 pm
good for your first try, but I don't really like the map

zaraza
December 20, 2005, 7:39 pm
You call THIS Laos? Aww man! Laos = my fav. map. This remix isn't good...

The Geologist
December 20, 2005, 10:08 pm
A good first try, but it doesn't really feel like Laos imo. Perhaps some of these thoughts would help:

*Laos is a strong two route map. This man has been divided into many routes as well as lots of free space. Perhaps the elimination of some of these extra routes and the creation of some solid blocks of polygons in the center would help fill things in a bit.
*Is that the right texture..? Mine have changed so many times I'm not sure what's what, yet the texture kinda clashes with that background.
*The lower route is extremely linear and non-functional..where are the hills, ditches, some relief in the terrain to hide behind, or maybe some sceneries with colliders. It's so open it begs to be camped.
*Some parts are shaded, others aren't...try to keep things more uniform, and if it helps, try to imagine where you have one or two sources of light coming from to see how the shadows would be formed correctly.

Hope those help..we always need more maps around here.

mike323
December 20, 2005, 11:44 pm
Thanks for the suggestions everyone...yeah i agree the lower route is very flat, plans to update that. I think i forgot to fill out the "map properties," and i just discovered how to get there so i'll be matching up the bg with the tex.

The whole two route concept also calls for change...i'll incorporate a low route too.

Oh and the sizing is a little off, so i'll resize the entire map to fit the player more snugly.

mike323
December 21, 2005, 12:34 am
Okay, finished and uploaded the updated version. Thoughts?

I'll be testing it on mike323's WM Server frequently over the next few days

Keron Cyst
December 21, 2005, 5:11 am
What's the point of the two central boulders at the top? You might as well just put a floating BOB column then.

That is sand.BMP, I think - definitely not the original texture.

mike323
December 21, 2005, 11:17 pm
Well the boulders are just more land, which I think looks nice.

The sand.bmp is now changed to 'rodzynka.bmp,' and the updated version (v3) has been uploaded.

viggoloniggolo
December 31, 2005, 7:41 pm
mike, did you have permission to make a remix of laos? if not you do not have the right and you should read the rules of soldat

Kaider
January 1, 2006, 3:34 am
quote:Originally posted by viggoloniggolomike, did you have permission to make a remix of laos? if not you do not have the right and you should read the rules of soldat

It's just his own version of Laos,calm down.

On-topic:

Oh my god,he killed Laos!!

nfsjunkie91
January 1, 2006, 5:51 am
quote:Originally posted by viggoloniggolomike, did you have permission to make a remix of laos? if not you do not have the right and you should read the rules of soldat

Ok, correct me if i am wrong but where in the rules of soldat does it say you cannot make a 'remix' or modification to a default soldat map? I never saw anything about that. also viggy, maybe you should read the forum rules and refrain from posting 9-topics in a row.

on-topic: looks decent, ill test it out.