( search forums )
Ranzear's Totally 1337 WP Examples
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Bot Forum
Ranzear
December 22, 2005, 4:49 am
Heehee, excuse the noobieness of my title, but I can boast can't I?

Lets kick this off quickly. All examples are from my recently released Apoca City.

In some other '1337' examples you see a long stream of waypoints that are joyusly connected to the alternate path or multiple branching paths or paths that end and allow the bot to find the next wp on it's own.

I've taken these to what I like to call 'the handoff method'.

If a bot misses the next waypoint it will keep doing what it was doing until it hits another one, I exploit this to make the bot run a good distance or jump a gap and hit a new set of waypoints wherever it ends up. This makes for less 'scripted actions' where the bot is trying to continue the string of waypoints even though it's way off course.

[IMAGE]
The upper spawn in this demonstrates this tactic. The waypoint it starts at will camp for 20 seconds before sending him left to the connected waypoint, but of course he misses and continues til he hits the other waypoint set. After camping another 20 seconds it gives him three options, two of which are to go right (again, missing the commanding waypoints) and hit the first waypoint again, and the other commands him left to a waypoint pair that starts him down the stairwell. The lower spawn point demonstrates a tactic to cause a 'stop and camp' without the bot doing a 'I'll just stand here and shoot my fist at him. Two wait 20 waypoints command the bot to each other. Bots seem to have a tendency to only obey wait commands about 4-6 times, and eventually he'll take the alternate path, a leftways jump to the lower area. He'll continue up the ramp to the other set of waypoints and jump the wall. The waypoints below present another concept, error correction. If he were to miss the jump and get stuck below the bottom of the ramp or in the corner to the right he is directed to a placement that places him back on the upwards ramp and moving left, back on the right (left) track.

[IMAGE]
More examples of 'entrapments'. The set on the left will make him hang around in the light for a while, but presents a nice running path to the water tower and back. The spawn and wp set to the right is a complete entrapment intended to keep the bot inside the water tower until an unsuspecting player approaches from the right.

[IMAGE]
I had to double this one up to show the complex path. The bot at the top of the ramp has two options after a 20 second wait. He can jump, fly, and enter the upper level, where waypoints will direct some camping until he eventually exits where he entered. The other route as well as exiting the upper level directs him down the slope. The waypoint set halfway up (or down) the ramp presents a few uses. There is a path back up for cases of bots chasing a player partway up the ramp, but more important is the 'down-left' action of this set to prevent the bot from taking fall damage while going down the ramp in realistic mode (All bot waypointing should consider realistic mode). The furthest lower right waypoint set again gives three commands, two in one direction to give this the better chance. Bots coming down the ramp hit this set and a third of the time will head in the direction of the water tower or turn underneath the ramp (black is passable) to another forced-camping set. This particular set has an additional left command on the right waypoint to offset the right option up over the wall to the lower level, after some gametime this area will replenish the guaranteed-conflict area at the lower right entrance with bots from the upper level and further left.

[IMAGE]
The upper spawn is presented with a 20 second wait. No camping is really required because this is very near the start of the map. The bot moves to the flat area between this building and the theatre. The spawn in the flat is given a forced camp and a leftways option towards a multi-option handoff set (Red bordered inset). This is a no-wait set placed between far-spaced sets where a bot would eventually 'give up' on an action, like running left for too long, and just stand there before reaching the next set inside the theatre. This repeats the command and keeps him moving, with an additional option to go back. Inside the collapse structure a spawn with a wait 20 and an instant right prevents the bot from grabbing the grenades, which are a key lure to bring players into this confined space. Again this is close to the player start area so a forced camp is not needed (And I'd like to now take a moment to point out why we don't use the 'stop and camp' setting a few paragraphs back, it makes unarmed bot stand there like idiots trying to throw their fist unless their target has the flag). Another backup waypoint pair is placed in the other corner (off the image to the right) should the bot dash, jump, or otherwise miss the upward path, and also includes an additional wait 20 in such a case. The upward path could have additional options to return to the left or right, but this path is rather desired because the players may have passed up the grenades and this places an actively left-moving zombie behind them (he's gotten me before). Bots moving from the right side over the building and continuing left are presented with a leftward-jump to clear the gap, and both this and the upward path then arrive at the chimney...thinger =) that would otherwise block further movement. The waypoint they first hit directs a left-fly over the upcropping, or should they miss a waypoint where they would get stuck directs them back to the previous waypoint, its action normally left cleared but in this case used as a return method rather that an initial arrival method (The bots will arrive from the left regardless of whether commanded or not, so why say it twice? Use the command on this waypoint for another waypoint to direct back to it in case of error, kapische?)

[IMAGE]
I've done all of these kinda backwards in the level, not for any particular reason. Another demonstraion of a wait-option spawn. The bot has a carefully timed wait 10 before either traveling left, towards the previous example, or traversing up into this first building. Here we present an 'oops' option. The bot, after jumping up here, has a tendency to jump-dash to gain speed and clear the gap. Correcting this error can also be used to present another option, up to the roof. A 20 second wait then sends him back down the hole to the 2nd level again. If the bot travels back to the left, after going to the roof or otherwise, he is given another 'right' command, where he can now violate any afk'ers. Note the extra waypoint pair at the alpha spawn to get him out the door instead of stuck in the corner.

That should do it for my examples. In summary:

- You don't have to link every waypoint to the next.
- The bot doesn't have to hit the next waypoint before hitting another set, exploitable to continue an action til he does.
- You can force a bot to camp without using the rock-stupid 'stop to camp' function by pointing two waypoints with wait times towards each other.
- Bots camping one area can and should eventually move to a more 'active' area so they aren't gotten around so easily.
- Extra waypoints in the corners prevent totally-awesome head-on-wall action.
- Camping zombie bots can utilize a lure, such as nades or medpacks, just make sure they don't pick them up. Don't forget error correction though.
- Be sure that if the lure is ignored the bot will move on to a more active area.
- Long stretches between waypoints may need a 'booster' command to ensure the bot doesn't give up after running too far.
- With missed-waypoint commands given, an approach command can instead be used as an error correction command should a bot fail to jump up a small ledge or something.
- Error correction waypoints can even present additional paths.
- AFK'ers waste server slots and should be punished >=)

Keron Cyst
December 22, 2005, 7:03 pm
Bots will freeze when they get into and out of combat with that wypting style. Have you played test matches or only TeamMatch?

EDIT Is that an Up + Jet wypt.? Why have Up (a.k.a. Jump) when the bot's in mid-air?

Your bots will be running backwards with those kinds of wypts. They face towards the next wypt. they're heading for, you know...

Deleted User
December 22, 2005, 7:05 pm
because he's new to waypointing, like i was :P

Ranzear
December 22, 2005, 8:15 pm
They don't freeze, no more than they would freeze with a straight run of linked waypoints because they're still on a 'path'. I've playtested plenty. If you don't like someone changing the rules on what makes good waypointing the worst you could do is say it doesn't work when it does just fine.

Which waypoint are you referring to having an 'up+jet'? Theres no harm done whether it does or not and you're just nitpicking.

Pull your head out of your ass and at least take a more careful consideration than 'Oh it doesn't look like my waypointing so it must suck'.

Ranzear
December 22, 2005, 8:24 pm
I now have my server up and am spectating my bots. I can clearly state that the direction they face while traversing to the next waypoint is the initial direction to the waypoint, they do not adjust to keep looking at the waypoint while they run. They are not running backwards.

I have however noticed a stickypoint. In image 4 the upcropping, the jump over is fine the first time but bots that reach an 'ignoring waits' state need that re-approach waypoint to be a down+right so they aren't moving right when trying to jet left, another fix to throw in when I re-relase with Apoca City 2.

Keron Cyst
December 23, 2005, 12:45 am
rofl

It doesn't look like ANY waypointing standard. Look in the bottom-right of your last screenshot. If a soldat had caught into a fight and killed his opponent there, there would be no wypts. to get him back on track and he'd just sit there.

They only look in the initial direction? oO' Last I checked they constantly faced the wypt. they were going for during movement...

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 1:14 am
unless you make them run backwards :P
but yea, your waypoints are jacked ranzear

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 2:53 am
Just put a waypoint in every nook and cranny to make sure your bots don't get stuck. Very simple.

BEST IS METHOD MINE.

Ranzear
December 23, 2005, 3:16 am
Again with the senseless nitpicking Keyron, I could tell this tendency enough from your stickied post. That last screenshot is not a one-screen map, and thats all I have to note. The bots only look in the initial direction to the waypoint, last I checked which was..oh... five minutes ago.

Semage, have you or Keyron seen my waypoints work yet? Get my map, load my bots on Bravo, and just spectate.

Thats the idea Azn.

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 3:40 am
*cough*
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
i've made working waypoints that make the bots run backwards...
when waypointing think of the "what if" factor, they won't always land right where you want them to if in a battle, in fact they forget about waypoints when in battle.
and last but not least.
learn to spell:
semagae not Semage
Keron not Keyron
its on the same page as your typing.. wtf?

Ranzear
December 23, 2005, 3:51 am
Flame much? I didn't use quick reply, nor am I now, so no they weren't on the same page.

Watch the bots in my map before you say what does and does not work. Bots can find the nearest waypoint after fighting, you don't have to hold their hand through everything like your mommy did.

You're really good at swinging that e-sack around Sema[CENSORED]

Edit: Sorry, semagae, though you wouldn't know otherwise, what with the internet being anonymous and all. I respect that you are.

Deleted User
December 23, 2005, 4:07 am
sorry, i was in a bad mood :|
meh, the waypoint has to be pretty close for your theory to work :P
me and Keron only say these things because we've been waypointing for a longtime and (basicly) discovered all that you can do and the way you can do it...

Keron Cyst
December 23, 2005, 5:18 am
Well, I've got to say, I have kind of fiddled with that kind of layout for wypts. before, but what can I say? I am a nitpicky control phr34k, and I like making sure bots always follow the correct path every time ;-D

quote:Originally posted by Ranzear
you don't have to hold their hand through everything like your mommy did.
Stop fooling with him like that, and myself. Neither of us insulted you personally, just your unique "handoff method."

@semagae: rofl @ those pics. xD A bit hard, tho'.

... You can force a bot to camp without using the rock-stupid 'stop to camp' function by pointing two waypoints with wait times towards each other....
What's wrong with Stop & Camp, tho'? Makes it all the more simpler, doesn't it?

... Long stretches between waypoints may need a 'booster' command to ensure the bot doesn't give up after running too far....
That's true. I think all you need is just one wypt. every half-map screen, especially if it's just a simple Move Left/Right function.

Ranzear
December 23, 2005, 7:58 am
I think we all flared up a little, no beef though just all trying to get the right point across *handshake*

What I ran into with using the 'Stop and Camp', and I only slightly mentioned, was that unarmed zombie bots, or bots with knives or saws, tried to attack you while just standing there. It even seemed like someone with the flag going by only had a partial chance of getting them to move. Anyone moving along ahead of the flagger could just happily plink away any bots standing on 'stop and camp' waypoints while they tried to shoot fists and saws from half a screen away.

Picture 4, the lower left waypoint when I first started waypointing this map, demonstrated in game that a bot that misses a waypoint can move about 2 full screens before giving up, I initially did this by accident then it just became a lazy technique before I explored how you could give many options with minimum waypoints. They have to have the booster though because once they go those two screens or so they totally give up on finding another waypoint (or perhaps there was enough of a dip before that entrance (about a soldaten's height) that he couldnt see any waypoints). They don't have to be very close at all as long as a waypoint is in line of sight and in an obvious direction. It would be easy to put together a map to completely test any theory, even count grid squares of how far a bot can travel off a path.

m00`
December 23, 2005, 8:19 am
and thats the end of that chapter

vash763
December 23, 2005, 9:04 am
Damn, that was the best on yet.