( search forums )
DM/TDM(3)/PM/RM/Bots -- Stop, Drop 'n' Die!!! V1.2
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
le-mec
December 25, 2005, 2:52 am
GoOOOOOOod mOOOOorning Soldaaaaaaaats!!!!

Okay, here's my first ever map, made 100% with The Amazing Anna's POLYWORKS! IRC: #soldat.polyworks

My brother and I have extensively tested this map out and we play TDM against a whole lotta bots and they seem to be able to find their way around fairly well. I've done my best to round out as many of the bot-bugs as possible -- there are maybe two little places where bots occasionally get stuck, but it doesn't happen all that often.

The modes supported are: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch (alpha bravo charlie), Rambomatch and Pointmatch.

AFAIK, there are no custom textures used, but the Map Deployment wizard thought it would be OK to include the textures I used anyways.

Also, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Keron_Cyst for his advice on wypting -- find it here:

Keron Cyst's So you think you can waypoint? waypointing guide

Click the preview to download the map.
[IMAGE]

I'd like to add that this map was really designed with bots in mind -- usually we'd play on Alpha team (starting in the upper left) and we'd play Advanced Mode against two other teams with 4 solbots each. Charlie team would start at the bottom of the map and jet upwards, and Bravo team would be dukin' it out with us and the Charlie team jetting upwards. The bottom of the map is a kill pit. There's two flamethrowers in this map, and bravo team and charlie team get those. There are also two Predator powerups, and one Berzerker powerup. This map is VERY grenade-friendly, and there's lots of grenades everywhere! There are also two spawns for vests.

This map combines some nasty CQB action downstairs and along the sides with some wide open spaces for flying. You get a ton of jetfuel, so polish up on your flying skills. There's also a stationary gun positioned to take out a lot of things in the big wide open room in the middle of the map.

Okay, you crazy kids! Have fun, and be in bed before Santa gets home!

EDIT (V1.1): Thanks to Anna's advice, I have fixed most of the polybugs in the concave corners, and also made an additional passageway for team Alpha to get out.

SoulSnipa has kindly provided a mirror for this file, in case FileLodge doesn't do the trick:

EDIT (V1.2)

After much prodding and harrassment, I have gone through and rounded off a lot of the corners. I must admit grenades have become much more effective and moving around is a LOT faster.

Deleted User
December 25, 2005, 3:05 am
I love the way the light looks like it's coming from the bottom at places.

lpzie
December 25, 2005, 4:28 am
Awesome map. Super cool. =P

<edit>
Actually, since I like it so much, I should say more. I like how it's close combat for the most part. Then the middle, thats hot too. The poly-shading wasnt so bad that it was an eyesore, and it wasnt so good that it stood out. It's average, but thats cool. The gameplay pwnd.
</edit>

le-mec
December 25, 2005, 7:37 am
azntrashcan >> such a quick response! I'm glad you like the 'lighting' -- Polyworks makes it easy.

Ipzie >> Glad you like the gameplay of the map. I did a lot of thinking about this before I fired up the editor -- making lots of small sketches of parts I wanted to see in the map, drawing a rudimentary overview, and then thinking of how I wanted bots to go running through the map. I guess the poly shading isn't so hot because I was too lazy to go through the chore of dealing with the compromise between adding lots of triangles to make nice shading versus good game performance with fewer triangles. Oh well, at least the gameplay worked out. Next time I'll just base my map off a huge bitmap first like in Anna's cool examples.

Ebby
December 25, 2005, 7:40 am
I like this, it's great for a first try, too. Glad to see you put so much work into it. <3

Edit: I'm sorry I don't have much to say, but I really have no background knowledge on map designing. I'm hoping to get more into it though.

le-mec
December 25, 2005, 9:18 am
In other words ya like it but just can't quite say why ;) It matters not! Such words are music to my ears.