( search forums )
SoldatSource Beta Release
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Rambo_6
December 28, 2005, 4:53 pm
Hello everyone.

I've completed a beta release of SoldatSource, a 3d version of Soldat.

Requirements:

- Steam
- Garry's Mod 9.0.1 (visit www.garry.tv)

For all the information go here.

Yukwunhang
December 28, 2005, 5:19 pm
OMG <3 YOU

Silent Soldier
December 28, 2005, 5:33 pm
Awesome. I'll d/l it when it's ready.

Rambo_6
December 28, 2005, 10:27 pm
I now have a soldat source forum (cheap one, but oh well)

Have a squitsies

karmazonpl
December 28, 2005, 10:30 pm
wtf I need steam for this ? this is [CENSORED]lordness, make a standalone soldat3d than you'll be cool

papasurf31
December 28, 2005, 10:37 pm
"you just can't do it like soldat. soldat would have been made 3d if they wanted to (Pure Fact)"

hahaha...kick his ass

peemonkey
December 28, 2005, 10:51 pm
i was talking to someone online and he said he was on a development team of soldat and he's going to ban me from all the servers forever.

ontopic, it's lookin good, i'll keep the advice comming until it's satisafctory or i get shot in the chest tomarrow and are in the hospitol for a prolonged period of time and cannot converse with such gentlemen as yourselves.

Deleted User
December 29, 2005, 12:41 am
FOUR OH FOUR! <3 LUA

Kaider
December 29, 2005, 1:06 am
I'm downloading Garry's Mod right now. Only ten minutes to go! Damn this looks good Rambo_6. I can't wait to see the AK.

EDIT: Two and a half minutes to go...

Deleted User
December 29, 2005, 1:07 am
Could you put up some screenies pleasee :)

Kaider
December 29, 2005, 1:10 am
Go to the link he provided. Screenies are there.

Aegis
December 29, 2005, 1:21 am
Ick. You're going to make people have to own HL2 and download Gary's Mod just to play another FPS with Soldat weapons?.. :/ Well, not force. But still.
Edit: I was under the impression that to run a mod for Half-life 2, you would need Half-Life 2, just as Half-life 1 mods require you to have Half-life 1 on your Steam account. Forgive me for appealing to simple logic.

Kaider
December 29, 2005, 1:25 am
You don't have to own Half-Life 2 -.-

EDIT: Whenever I go to the download link, either it can't be found, or it won't load fully, or it will, but I can't find the download link at the bottom of the page. :\

.JeT
December 29, 2005, 2:18 am
eh, it would be cooler if it was 2d, soldat is not a 3d game. Make it 2d with all the physics now that would be rad.

peemonkey
December 29, 2005, 2:37 am
god you're ignorant in this field :D
anyways, kaider, you DO have to have hl2 installed. if you dont have it installed and are able to play gmod, you're either on the lamest LSD trip in history, or you've illegally downloaded primary hl2 files to make gmod work. if so, jesus you need to get laid.

- Tek -
December 29, 2005, 4:37 am
So likem we can download peoples graphics mods when we join their game?

peemonkey
December 29, 2005, 4:43 am
...what the hell are you tryin to say?

GAMEOVER
December 29, 2005, 7:43 am
I think of a few games its closer to, soldat isnt one of em. Ill stick with soldat.

-2.86-
December 29, 2005, 11:06 am
this stays a fan mod. not a soldat replacement. this is just plain fun :D

Deleted User
December 29, 2005, 11:53 am
Eh, is this like Soldat mod for HL2? I don't get it :x

Rambo_6
December 29, 2005, 5:02 pm
Of course it won't ever replace soldat. I just wanted to see what soldat would be like in 3d.

- Tek -
December 29, 2005, 7:19 pm
Well Im just saying, this version of this guys soldat should have those downloadable weapon mods, with the graphics too.

So when is a 2d soldat with 3d graphics going to come out? I'd rather have that.

peemonkey
December 29, 2005, 7:47 pm
..."this guy" as in rambo? are you talking about his game? also, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? what weapons mods, what graphics? be specific ERG

- Tek -
December 29, 2005, 8:22 pm
yeah rambo.

You know how in soldat you can download maps, but not gosteks or anything. Im just saying he should do that for his soldat game.

Swebonny
December 29, 2005, 9:29 pm
Dont you need a Source game for this?
I got HL2DM,DoDS and Css should it work?

Edit:Meh you need HL2 to run Garrys Mod...

WHY DIDN`T I BUY IT YESTERDAY!!!111WHY DID I BOUGHT THAT PACKAGE WITH 3 SIOURCE GAMES GAAAHHAA

peemonkey
December 29, 2005, 10:07 pm
he's not making a game tek, he's making a mod for a mod for HL2, that is based on soldat. he can't change every little thing becuase the integration of the scripting language into the game engine can never be 100%.

Rambo_6
December 30, 2005, 1:08 am
Sidescrolling in 3d would be plain weird. Try to envision it then get back to me with a response.

If you ask me, it's a waste of a dimension.

Also, Maps can be downloaded from the server you join, and i am not using custom models (except later i'll use some custom weapon models.)

- Tek -
December 30, 2005, 1:22 am
So for HL2 you can't simply redo graphics files, as easy as soldat or grand theft auto?

Rambo_6
December 30, 2005, 3:02 am
..Uh, you mean textures?

The sounds, textures and other stuff from half life 2 are contained in a GFC file which can only be snooped around in using GFCscape.

And all teh graphic files used are in .vmf format.

Deleted User
December 30, 2005, 3:29 am
come on, screenzors

Rambo_6
December 30, 2005, 4:02 am
I provided a link, at least go to it.

Who knows, maybe there are screens there...

paramud
December 30, 2005, 4:21 am
Argh, Gmod crashz0rs.
Well, should be fun when I fix it...
Heh, 3d soldat + DigitalUtopias Alyx model :D

Rambo_6
December 30, 2005, 5:20 am
Afraid not. I disabled all models except for that fascist police model.

(evil cackles)

Deleted User
December 30, 2005, 5:26 am
yar.. are the bullets slow like in soldat? :D

paramud
December 30, 2005, 5:28 am
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOES!
Oh well, I know a little bit about modifying .lua's.
Good script though.

Rambo_6
December 30, 2005, 5:51 am
I dunno if i'll bother to make bullets slow.

And i'll make it so that if you modify the spawn script, your game takes a crap. XD

paramud
December 30, 2005, 11:23 pm
Well I played on single player, and I have to say.
Could be better.
The jet sound was like when you hold down Jet in soldat till its empty.
Some of the weapons didn't work.
3/5

Rambo_6
December 30, 2005, 11:55 pm
It's a beta release for crunk sake. I laready know which weepons are messed up.

Btew, ki have some progress/;

i made t soo when you type teh conso,e commands, it has teh same effect.
i also am working on fixing the jets (and sounds./0)

Sorry for my typoes, i brke my writ and ihave it in a cast. i cab barely use my mpuse

UGK
December 31, 2005, 12:49 am
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeygod you're ignorant in this field :D
anyways, kaider, you DO have to have hl2 installed. if you dont have it installed and are able to play gmod, you're either on the lamest LSD trip in history, or you've illegally downloaded primary hl2 files to make gmod work. if so, jesus you need to get laid.

WIll the mod work with the Demo?

Rambo_6
December 31, 2005, 3:13 am
You need all the files for it to work. It's worth the money, so get it.

EDit: i'm getting the hang of this typing with a cast.

paramud
December 31, 2005, 5:15 pm
Didn't mean to offend at all, I know its a beta, and I know it will get better, I'm just giving you my rating on the current version.
Sorry if I sounded "You suck"-ish.

person
December 31, 2005, 5:47 pm
As if no one has ever came across a side-scrolling 3D game. Think of Klonoa and Megaman X8 for PS2, for starters. The former of which is quite a well made game, regardless of its thematic content and demographic.

Oh and by the way... I'd still stick with my Contra 3(/Super Probotector: Alien Rebels in PAL territories) for SNES than Halo/2, any day.

3D graphics are overrated. Just look at the Xbitch 360.

edit: That's not a go at Microsoft, rather than the console itself which doesn't seem as great as they said it would be at all. I own an Xbox and both Halo games.

Deleted User
January 2, 2006, 11:25 pm
Yeah, I think what was meant by "3D sidescroller" was a typical sidescrolling format that uses polygons and models instead of sprites--it's a setup that does have its advantages, as anyone who's played Viewtiful Joe can tell you.

As for the main topic at hand... Although I'm honestly not interested enough to take a peek (I don't even own HL2 anyway), I wish you luck with your effort; I think that, if you try to focus more on incorporating a plethora of macho movie references rather than an accurate replica of Soldat itself, you'll fare well enough.

Rambo_6
January 3, 2006, 12:02 am
Here's an update on what i've completed so far:

Added text commands (they work the same as console commands, but in the text window)
Added a !limits commands that states the kill/time limit.
Fixed a few bugs

Still more bugs, like weapon bugs, to fix though.

Edit: Lol paramud got banned from garrys forums

Cookie.
January 3, 2006, 12:06 am
Rambo you should add /cmd commands like /secret /victory /tabac
That would make me ultra happy and consider paying for a copy of half life 2 :D

Deleted User
January 3, 2006, 6:21 pm
it looks like tribes............soldat in 3d is tribes

Rambo_6
January 4, 2006, 4:28 pm
What's the difference between /limits and !limits? :/