( search forums )
DM Pillars
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Orniflyer
December 28, 2005, 8:28 pm
I'm rather new at soldat mapping but I got experience in hl and ut mapping so I tried my best.
This map is a simple DM map, nothing really special but it has a good gameflow and quite good waypoints.

[IMAGE]

DM
3-6 Players
Botsupport

[URL]

Deleted User
December 28, 2005, 8:49 pm
Nice! For me it's very nice and I like those stone effects and the layout looks awesome.

Avarax
December 28, 2005, 10:16 pm
screens plz

Orniflyer
December 28, 2005, 10:22 pm
I tested it in a public 6 player dm some minutes ago.

Was an interesting fight.
The map offers good conditions for tactical moves.
But 6 players are almost too much, i think the optimal player amount is about 4 players.

This is really my best map, but i'm working on a new map :) maybe a better one

Edit:
quote:Originally posted by Avaraxscreens plz

What do you mean ? There is a screen

karmazonpl
December 28, 2005, 10:33 pm
there is one, but it takes helluva long to load

Orniflyer
December 28, 2005, 10:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by karmazonplthere is one, but it takes helluva long to load

strange but i fixed it, now the pic is located on an other server.

OutofOrder
December 28, 2005, 10:41 pm
Most of the time, "screen" refers to in-game screenshots, besides the general overview. :P
Map looks fine. Haven't loaded it yet, but i think you could work on the shading.

Orniflyer
December 28, 2005, 10:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by OutofOrder...but i think you could work on the shading.

I know that the green-brown shading at the ground isn't that good. but I don't see an other possibility for ground shading in this map. Well I'll try my best

numgun
December 28, 2005, 11:12 pm
if this is a polyworks map: its just a regular polyworks map.

if this a mapmaker map: same as above. xD

Orniflyer
December 28, 2005, 11:26 pm
quote:Originally posted by numgunif this is a polyworks map: its just a regular polyworks map.

What you're expecting ?

A map that kicks ass ? Well, play this one. This map has a good design for gameplay. And that's what all is about. If this map is just a "regualar" one, could you please explain me what a "unique" map is like ? And don't tell me something about a unique fresh look. That's not necessary for a good map. In my opinion a good map should have a good layout to offer good conditions for interessting and tactical fights and it has to be balanced. I tried my best to fulfill this.

Deleted User
December 28, 2005, 11:54 pm
Nice colors and look,
but the background doesn't quite fit in (too bright/white),
and why did you make the two side mountains(?) so high?

Orniflyer
December 29, 2005, 12:00 am
The side mountains are the ends of the map, I begin to hate hole maps. Almost every map is some kind of a hole. So I decided to put two pillars there. However, it doesn't affect the gameplay. The first name of the map was brokenbridge, but after the testingphase I called it Pillars.

Mothafix
December 29, 2005, 10:32 am
quote:Originally posted by numgunif this is a polyworks map: its just a regular polyworks map.

Could YOU do yourself a "best-super-soldat-über-pro-wtf map??

Orniflyer
December 29, 2005, 8:43 pm
So, what do you think of the gameplay ?
Have anybody tested it ?

I realized that the waypoints of the map aren't perfect at some places. For example the bots are stucking at the left Pillar, but in the end they play quite good.

The Geologist
December 30, 2005, 5:38 pm

It's his first Soldat map...relax and try to say something worthwhile next time, hmm?

This layout is really good for DM. I also like the contrast of the rocks against the grass, that technique will lead to some interesting effects if you continue mapping. As far as layout and gameplay, I like them both. No matter where you are you're fairly close to other people in the map. My only issues are trivial. The floating platforms are a little odd..maybe make use of some of the sceneries to try and suspend themsomehow next time. Still, I like the look of your bridges.

Keep 'em coming man, I'm interested in seeing what else you can produce.

Orniflyer
December 31, 2005, 10:45 pm
I'm working at a ctf map, a good one I think :)

I'll post it in 1-2 days

vash763
January 1, 2006, 6:46 am
You should make it like Complex9. Cause I love that map.

Now then, since I will get flamed for posting that.

I really like this. The blue background really gives me a clean pure nature-type feel. Very nice.