( search forums )
CTF Ruins - waypointed and recolored
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Quality Maps
grand_diablo
January 2, 2006, 10:34 pm
One of the few maps of mine where the gameplay does actually satisfy myself. We did some p-L internal testings on it, and had great fun.

I hope you will have great fun aswell ;)

To the facts: 238 polys and 211 sceneries form a rather small, yet very well playable ctf map for teams sized to a max. of 4v4. The concept is partially inspired by Maya2 and Marage.

Theme: ancient ruins, jungle
Used texture: potato2.bmp

Now waypointed by Keron Cyst, map has been recolored and more sceneries placed. Just redownload and enjoy!

Have fun!

Download
http://www.denacke.net/Dibo/maps/ctf_Ruins.PMS

Screen
[IMAGE]

Deleted User
January 2, 2006, 10:39 pm
The orange in the middle doesn't look like a ruin, but that's just me being skeptic. Nice overall, I like the grassy borders on the sides.

Soulsnipa
January 2, 2006, 11:14 pm
let me guess you did the red side first. Eh another mediocre map to be honest. Same old Same old, nothing new.

PS: If Soldat tells you that some grass5.1.bmp scenery is missing, ignore it. I accidentally put it in, then deleted it, but the mapmaker didnt remove the file information for some reason. So although it is demanded, it is actually not used, you wont recognise any white squares.

Go to clear ununused in polyworks...you mapping moderators these days dont know anything :P

grand_diablo
January 2, 2006, 11:16 pm
let me guess, you judged it from the overview only ;P

give it a try and play it 3on3. I know it doesnt look special from the overview, but the gameplay works very well (btw the flag does not spawn on top of the big rocks)

EDIT: I use PW, but for compiling only. Simply cause I dont like PWs handling (which doesnt stop me from fully supporting the project)

Deleted User
January 3, 2006, 2:04 am
wow, thats awsome :D
great map :)
nice layout

Cookie.
January 3, 2006, 2:09 am
"Eh another mediocre map to be honest. Same old Same old, nothing new."

I agree with Soulsnipa on this one :\ The map dosn't really excite me... Except the layout actually looks like it would be good fun :D However graphically its just too basic, not to say that its bad but I think you could have done something better with it, maybe choose a crazy texture :D

grand_diablo
January 3, 2006, 2:12 am
the tex fits it right, but I might do something more sceneryside... im lacking ideas tho atm

Michal
January 3, 2006, 4:24 am
I really like this actually, another high quality map.
My only problem is the orange, it looks very unnatural and doesn't seem to fit in.
The middle area with the statgun is nice.
Perhaps for 'scenery' you could litter some stone blocks (made of polys) around to fit the theme a little more.

Keron Cyst
January 3, 2006, 4:52 am
Wypts. are meh. ;-P

grand_diablo, I have plenty of map ideas that Boxo for some reason neglects to make even though he asks for people's scanned paper sketches (grr) which I can send to you :-D

Soulsnipa
January 3, 2006, 6:51 am
grand_diablo I may be wrong, but I've tried to escalate my creativity with my maps, trying newer things and avoiding the simple '><' maps. Try something that hasnt ever been done before, ESPECIALLY if your graphics are going to look like that. Yes the gameplay might look good, but excuse my ignorance but unless it looks good I dont download. I would expect the same from people when I make my maps...

and the scenery thing can be fixed in polyworks. do u want me to do it for u?

grand_diablo
January 3, 2006, 12:27 pm
Ill do some more color work and scenerizign once its wypted, I dun really like the orange myself.

numgun
January 3, 2006, 3:24 pm
a regular polyworks map.
CHECK.

grand_diablo
January 3, 2006, 5:11 pm
whaddaya mean?

(the map was created in mm+ btw)

Cookie.
January 3, 2006, 5:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by grand_diablowhaddaya mean?

(the map was created in mm+ btw)

Fight the power :)
Polyworks isn't required to make good maps :P

Keron Cyst
January 3, 2006, 8:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by grand_diabloIll do some more color work and scenerizign once its wypted, I dun really like the orange myself.

Start on it right now. I haven't done anything yet on it.

BTW, did you read my last post? :-)

grand_diablo
January 4, 2006, 1:05 am
yeh, I did
Feel free to email those sketches to kickercup@gmail.com (jpg or png pls), I cannot guarantee to realize any of them tho ;)

grand_diablo
January 19, 2006, 1:56 pm
wee doublepost ;x

Keron has wped Ruins now and it has been improved in its looks.

GluLm
January 19, 2006, 3:14 pm
It's better now without the orange platforms... however I still dislike the blue/red parts. It's a bit too flashy.
The rest is pretty good, the colours are nice and the sceneries well placed.
The overall design perfectly fits for CTF games, good job again. :)

viggoloniggolo
January 19, 2006, 6:19 pm
hey grand diablo, if your lacking ideas, try to take a notebook ( Like I do) and draw a sketch of 1 map, then draw a scetch of another map, then draw a third one, which doesnt look like the other 2. (this concludes your first day of creating a new map idea.
Day 2: Look at your drawings and pick 1, which you are frankly going to create.
Add the special things on the other 2 un-used maps to your main map and you will get a pile of crap LoL or the greatest map ever made, then add scenery (draw all this stuff into the notebook).
And then, if you are satisfied, make the map and while doing that try to insert stuff that you didn't add in the first place, like some secret routes or random/ unnecessary creativity.

This is how I make my maps from now on 8-), It was just a suggestion.

the map is Ok, but i've seen something like it before and I took the name already 8-)

Michal
January 19, 2006, 8:55 pm
New version looks much better, good job.

Soulsnipa
January 19, 2006, 9:28 pm
I know there is a roof and all...but it looks like its all dark, idono if i like that part of it. Plus why is the middle lighter than the upper platforms...if anything that part is farther from the sun since its coming from the top. Therefore the floating platforms need to be lighter. Idono, if you are going to remake something or try to improve it...try to look at that first I guess. Otherwise its much better than the orange.

Eagles_Arrows
January 20, 2006, 1:07 am
quote:Originally posted by viggoloniggolohey grand diablo, if your lacking ideas, try to take a notebook ( Like I do) and draw a sketch of 1 map, then draw a scetch of another map, then draw a third one, which doesnt look like the other 2. (this concludes your first day of creating a new map idea.
Day 2: Look at your drawings and pick 1, which you are frankly going to create.
Add the special things on the other 2 un-used maps to your main map and you will get a pile of crap LoL or the greatest map ever made, then add scenery (draw all this stuff into the notebook).
And then, if you are satisfied, make the map and while doing that try to insert stuff that you didn't add in the first place, like some secret routes or random/ unnecessary creativity.

This is how I make my maps from now on 8-), It was just a suggestion.

the map is Ok, but i've seen something like it before and I took the name already 8-)

Hey, I use a similar method, only with graph paper and I didn't draw the sceneries.

This is a good map, GD. But it looks rather plain and gameplay is decent. The new version is, however, better :)

DeMonIc
January 20, 2006, 9:02 am
I'm not a fan of the col/camo.bmp's in the corners, but that's the only negative I can come up with. The looks are pretty decent, it isn't sore on the eye in-game, and the gameplay is truly awesome. We had a 3v3, and never had a dull moment: it was the only map that was confirmed "Great" by all the guys I've played with, and we tested a lot of maps :)

I recommend downloading this map, pronto!