( search forums )
Idea: Servers->Filter->Checked list box
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
sticky_soldier
January 4, 2006, 9:53 am
Dear all,
I've been thinking about the checked list box in the filters section on the Servers tab. Occasionally, I've been minorly inconvenieced with the checked list box. For example, I might have been looking for a non-ded server, with bots, that WAS password protected. It would have taken a while to locate the server normally, but if the checked list box had three options:
Checked (Little tick), Not Checked (No little tick), Indeterminate (Grey tick with box having light grey background)

This way, you could search for a setting:
eg1. Weapons mod only, No weapons mods, or Either, showing weapons mod and not weapons mod.

eg2. Dedicated servs only, No ded servs, or Either, showing both ded and non ded servers.

This would be done easily enough in Visual Basic, but for another language like C++ or Delphi I'd have no idea.

Please post your suggestions on this idea.

EDIT:
Pic:
[IMAGE]

vash763
January 5, 2006, 12:54 am
I think it would be easier to understand with radio buttons?

3 for WM
3 for realistic
3 for bots
etc.

XenocidE
January 5, 2006, 12:55 am
Usually with a gray check in a box this means that this setting can not be changed. Also there would have to be a lot more items to click. The list would be a bit to large.

Now a suggestion on top of yours is to add multiple drop down boxes. Since the Filter Area can be showed/hidden, it wouldn't really take up that much more space. Have maybe 4-6 different drop down boxes. The initial first one with what game type. One with Dedicated/Non Dedicated/blank for both, Password/Non-passwored/blank for both, etc.

Also, to give another suggestion out there. In the config.exe (i think this is the file) on the Network Tab where you can change the Speed Type your server has, could we maybe add another were it says were your server is located? Because at times, the initial Ping the Server says is sometimes incorrect. Because then when you join the server you could watch the Ping that the Server list shows can dramatically change from 94 to 840. With the setting to show were the server is located could really help. Maybe only need North America, South American, Europe, Asia, and Australia Server for this setting.

sticky_soldier
January 5, 2006, 4:12 am
Yeah. Sometimes when I try to join a server with a ping of "66", it will go up to "360" while I'm joining, and that is VERY frustrating.

I see what you mean about the grey means that it's disabled, but that's what they look like on inderminate. Having three options for each would make the list longer then neccesary, but it would give you complete control over what servers you looked for. The idea of having an area or region box would be a GREAT help, especially if you were looking for a server in your local area. You might also incorporate a "Max Ping" box, so that it would filter out servers with a ping over X.

--
Sticky_Soldier

Silent Soldier
January 5, 2006, 6:09 am
I've made a thread like this before. Link

XenocidE
January 5, 2006, 4:26 pm
Yup, we see this. But your's is nearly 3 months old and this one has some new ideas on it. We'll just post our ideas, wait for about a week then it will eventually get forgetton about and someone will make a thread similiar to this one and yours.

Life on the Soldat Forums (with the occasionall flaming).

sticky_soldier
January 6, 2006, 4:19 am
Mmm. Maybe I should try to whip up a screenie of "Filters VERSION II!!!"... :P

It'd have most of the ideas suggested and we'll see what you think of it. It'd have to be compact, as well... Actually... Why don't I make a screenie AND an actual application of the filters in action... (Well, not in action, but what they'd look like in-game) Yeah. I think I'll make an application to that extent...

--
Sticky_Soldier

vash763
January 8, 2006, 3:00 am
RADIO BUTTONS, I'm telling you.

Deleted User
January 8, 2006, 3:04 am
I like the idea.. and vash, what is radio buttons?

vash763
January 8, 2006, 3:36 am
Like, where you can only pick one.

Ever sign up for something, and it's got two buttons Male or Female.

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=radio+buttons&i=50131,00.asp

So you would only be able to choose (realistic for example):
Show (Only show me servers that have realistic mode enabled.)
Hide (Do not show me servers that have realistic mode enabled.)
No preference (Show servers that do, and servers that don't, have realistic mode enabled.)

And then have that for every other option.

zyxstand
January 8, 2006, 10:26 pm
why make a checkbox for each: yes, no, or none - you could just make a single special checkbox for the following options: realistic, survival, weapon modded, bonuses, bots, password, dedicated - that you can turn into a checkmark, and X, or empty by clicking it - checkbox being 'yes', X being 'no', and empty being 'indifferent'.

SERIAL KILLeR
January 8, 2006, 11:36 pm
that would be the simpliest and easiest to implement for MM

still have an example from an other topic :
[IMAGE]

rabidhamster
January 9, 2006, 6:19 am
huzaa! serial killer to the rescue! someone pm michal that pic, i'm sure he'd be happy to do it.

Silent Soldier
January 9, 2006, 12:43 pm
Actually that SERIAL KILLeR's idea is what I tried to say... It's in my thread also. :]

zyxstand
January 9, 2006, 9:27 pm
u mean mine ss - anyway, yeah i actually do remember that old topic about this filter addition...

i have a question to the admin: why do you allow people to post a topic containing the same idea as an already existing post? i thought part of the requirements for a member is to look in search to see if this topic already exists.

sticky_soldier
January 9, 2006, 10:01 pm
Err guys, technically you cant do that with a CheckedListBox. Well, at least in VB you can only have tick and no tick. And, sorry about the long delay for the app, I was a bit 'caught up' playing Soldat. Apoligies. I'll have it up soon.

Edit:
Link:
[URL]

Edit2:
By the way, you'll need the .NET Framework v1.1 to view and use the application. And it was compiled in debug mode, I forgot to make it release... Apoligies.

--
Sticky_Soldier

DeMo
January 10, 2006, 4:25 pm
Before changing the filters list I think Michal should concentrate on making it WORK.
It's broken since the last version...

Filters do not work, I don't tick the WM Servers option but they always appear on the list.
Some settings are also not saved... the "No bots" is an example. I always check "no bots" and when I restart soldat it is unchecked again.

sticky_soldier
January 11, 2006, 12:50 am
Right... Mate, you know that the WM servers appear all the time? This is the whole point of this thread! The WM Servers and No Bot Servers and Ded servers will ALWAYS appear in the list. This is why we want an option to make it so that you can make WM servers show up, not show up, or either.

Off topic: BTW people, Version 0.4.1 of the Soldat Suite is available from the company website:
http://www.freewebs.com/sticky_enterprises/ . Most of the functions don't work, or don't work properly but bear with me, this is a bug testing build. If you do download it, you'll need the .NET framework version 1.1. PLEASE TRY IT, and tell me if you spot any bugs, or if you have any suggestions. Yes, I know the HTML Help button will never work, there aren't any help files at the moment.

--
Sticky_Soldier