( search forums )
inf_henry
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
headstone
January 4, 2006, 9:26 pm
Yeah, my first inf map. I'm very happy with gameplay (yay ice proning), but I need help with the look. Here's what I have now:

[IMAGE]

It's all ice, besides concrete bunkers. The X's mark stat guns.

Red gameplay consists of diving from bunk to bunker, and covering eachother with the stat gun in the middle. And of course, to help dodge fire, they can ice jump all the way to the first bunk using the top of their base.

Blue has many sniping places, and a stat gun on top of their base, but can also make a forward move to the central stat gun.

--

Anyway, the main focus of this thread: I need help with the map's appearance (and any comments on the layout), cause right now the shading is random and ugly.

--

Ok... try #2:

[IMAGE]

Which one is better?

rabidhamster
January 5, 2006, 2:13 am
i can see you've gotten a lot better with shading.

not a bad layout, probably has very good gameplay.

Echo_Trail
January 5, 2006, 6:57 am
i'd say as well. This map seems nice. I'd like to try it, but i'm afraid i'm taking a small break from soldat..

Soulsnipa
January 5, 2006, 7:23 am
quote:Originally posted by Echo_Traili'd say as well. This map seems nice. I'd like to try it, but i'm afraid i'm taking a small break from soldat..

you will be back

OutofOrder
January 5, 2006, 7:30 pm
the shading looks nice specially in that big rounded-rock-shaped at the bottom right. maybe it's the zooming out, but i don't think you'll have to retouch the shading a lot.
Maybe following a coherent line of colors would not be a bad idea (i'm talking about the red-ish part at the top right of the map)
The layout looks interesting. Release this map soon :)

headstone
January 6, 2006, 3:48 pm
I'm going to try something darker.

rabidhamster
January 6, 2006, 10:22 pm
you've already moved to the dark side? wow, you're progressing fast.

about the shading, you could've used more contrast. the dark areas aren't very dark.

damnnation
January 6, 2006, 10:49 pm
looks verry nice, make some sort of factory of it, thats on a hill, looks nice for your first one, i'll be using this when it's finished<3

headstone
January 7, 2006, 1:17 am
Second look is up. Comments?

I like the new one more.

rabidhamster
January 7, 2006, 2:17 am
number two looks much better, the shading has improved dramatically. my only gripe is it seems like you applied the bevel and emboss photoshop layer style to the entire map. it appears that the middle of the big rock mentioned earlier by outoforder hasn't really changed much in the very center of it, shading-wise.

try thinking of how light would hit the object in real life.

Keron Cyst
January 7, 2006, 5:31 am
Number 2 is better ACT. The ground is more natural and Alpha's base isn't so bright.

headstone
January 7, 2006, 6:33 pm
quote:number two looks much better, the shading has improved dramatically. my only gripe is it seems like you applied the bevel and emboss photoshop layer style to the entire map. it appears that the middle of the big rock mentioned earlier by outoforder hasn't really changed much in the very center of it, shading-wise.

try thinking of how light would hit the object in real life.

Umm... I didn't even use photoshop to make that image. But, I agree, the next step was going to be to define a source of light.

quote:Number 2 is better ACT. The ground is more natural and Alpha's base isn't so bright.

Thanks

Deleted User
January 8, 2006, 2:25 am
#1 is the best :P