( search forums )
ctf_triplepass from ~SnipeR~
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
~SnipeR~
January 7, 2006, 2:08 pm
yeah, its again me with a new map:). its good, balanced map. i drawed a lava myself. it took me a lot of time, so i hope u enjoy

screen: [URL]

map: [URL] archive includes scenery.

as always i would be happy to hear your good opinion;) it is important for me.

papasurf31
January 7, 2006, 2:27 pm
ooh, it looks good. Nice lava effects, I don't think I've seen better. The ropes might be a bit overused, but overall, this map looks very nice.

Da cHeeSeMaN
January 7, 2006, 5:08 pm
Looking really good dl-ing

Soulsnipa
January 7, 2006, 6:25 pm
that download place sucks sorry 9kb/s

GluLm
January 7, 2006, 6:36 pm
You could have optimized your scenery use and their compression (maybe use png).
Otherwise the idea is cool, the only thing is that the map is not fully completed... Deadly polygons here and there, and we don't know why there's there.
And these huge, huge and ugly sceneries... Could be better.

GAMEOVER
January 7, 2006, 11:24 pm
very nice bro keep it up

The Twilight
January 7, 2006, 11:40 pm
Looks. So. Awesome... d/ling....RAR.! RAAA! why does everyone use rar.? why can't you use zip. for the awesome stuff?

Echo_Trail
January 8, 2006, 12:17 am
i'm not too fond of this map. It seems somehow too open, i think. I mean, it's nice gfx and all, but it doesn't really appeal to me. It seems a little to "spawn-kill-die-etc.-alike".

OutofOrder
January 8, 2006, 12:32 am
yikes, 1.7mb for a single map? Like said above, try changing the heavy sceneries to jpg or png before releasing.

You've got some nice drawing skills, but i'd advice you to make the drawings less "cartoonish". The lava's great tho.
And i agree with Echo_Trail, even when you've got a good idea about themeing your maps, first be sure you've planned a decent layout.
I'll be expecting your next map. :)

viggoloniggolo
January 8, 2006, 5:18 pm
gameplay: 3/10 (too open)
scenery: 9/10 (watch the ropes dude)
overall view: 10/10 (keep it up)
creativity: 5/10 (too easy to make)

DeMonIc
January 8, 2006, 6:18 pm
This map will be really kick ass once it's finished, but:

- The way you tried to solve the scenery-placement is stupid. It will never work, it didn't even load it for me. If you want to make cave background, copy the texture into the scenery folder, and place that as background. I suggest ditching the lava.

- The layout is nice, but complete the bridges so people won't fall through them. Cover them with sceneries, and make the polygons invisible with polyworks.

- The map needs a real roof, or just lower the jet amount so players don't go flying around where they shouldn't be.

~SnipeR~
January 8, 2006, 8:47 pm
"that download place sucks sorry 9kb/s" - sorry to hear that. i can afford only free hosting, and i was recommended here, at this forum to use "rapid upload" as one of best free hosts available(see [URL], if u dont believe me).
"You could have optimized your scenery use and their compression (maybe use png)." - i didnt knew that soldat may use png as sceneryes, anyway png and bmp are not of one size Only when unarchived, when in archive they are mostly the same;|
"why can't you use zip" - and whats the problem with rar? tell me the reason, and if zip appears better i will continue releasing maps only in zip.
"It seems a little to "spawn-kill-die-etc.-alike"." sorry, cant understand what r u talkin about. make question and/or proposition clearlier and i will answer, if i can.
"If you want to make cave background, copy the texture into the scenery folder, and place that as background". i did the same before. but the result looked very "2D" to me. i decided to make figures and shadows. it is self understood that background would not be same as texture anymore. and what do you mean by saying "it didn't even load it for me"? ...say, no background? do u even tryed to copy a scenery from archive to your scenery folder? if u did, then i dont understand what are u talking about. all 2 sceneryes are working, i tryed them on my friends server.
"The map needs a real roof, or just lower the jet amount so players don't go flying around where they shouldn't be" and "It seems somehow too open". i understand that. i didnt realize that it could be a problem. anyway i made a polys on top-"hurts" and "bloody deadly" so i dont see what players can do usefull on top.
"make the polygons invisible with polyworks" omg! how can i do that?oO say to me please! it would be revolution in map-making! INVISIBLE POLYS! i had so many ideas that require one of those.

and finally teh best commentarys!:"Deadly polygons here and there, and we don't know why there's there" and "complete the bridges so people won't fall through them" LOL! deadly poligons are only in lava and in low bridge, near two middle ones (normal), and of course on top, to prevent hi-camping and "mountaineering":). the biggest fact that u didnt realize about my map is that it is jumping map! u dont need to use that damn bridge! all gameplay was designed for jumping! just try to step on the greenish polys(on edges) and push yourself to the opposite side of there, where u need to fly. jumping pads technology is used in my other maps(like in ctf_chronoswars([URL])). i like novatory in maps and i try to embody novatory ideas. my maps can be bad, but i know that i put something new in mapmaking, and i proud of it.(well that was not me that invented jump-pads, but im the one that built them in the gameplay). i hope that one day somebody will understand me and make even better maps, using my maps as experiense in novatory ideas.

Echo_Trail
January 8, 2006, 9:22 pm
"It seems a little to "spawn-kill-die-etc.-alike"." sorry, cant understand what r u talkin about. make question and/or proposition clearlier and i will answer, if i can.

i'm sorry about my english. what i meant was, it seems like one of those maps, where you spawn and all you can really do is press "fire", and hope to nail someone before you get owned yourself. i mean, it's so open, that regardless of where you spawn, you can be shot at. there's no way to hide, and this really limits the options of this map. there's gotta be crates, bunkers, trees, bushes and all sorts of such things in maps(according to the theme ofourse), so you're able to actually "do something" else than just shoot in desperate hope.
You get me?

Raptor
January 8, 2006, 10:35 pm
OMG! This is a great map! Very original, and well shaded and colored. NJ!

~SnipeR~
January 9, 2006, 1:59 pm
thanks to everyone for fair tips and commentarys. specially thx to Raptor:)
to Echo_Trail: damn. if i could imagine that this is the Problem u are talkin about...
dont worry, my next map, teh insane, labyrinth-like, all-supported-style map, named ctf_hypercube will be sooo f#@&$ng "closed" to specially satisfy your survival interests;). i hope some one saw the movie "hypercube", or else called "cube2"?. i am the one who will bring its madness to soldat world. it will be ready soon and if u dare to play it, IF u cap a flag... then u may consider yourself a labyrinth hero!;)