( search forums )
please reopen the weapon balance descussion
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
a-4-year-old
January 8, 2006, 2:48 am
We obviously need it now that everyone has played a bit and alot of us probably have some good ideas for weapon balance. I do request that this topic does not get locked for a bunch of retards posting"stfu noob" and "undo the knife start up!" I think that we could properly use a place for discussion of the weapon balance.

FliesLikeABrick
January 8, 2006, 3:47 am
i don't think that it ever stood up to the intentions that it was there for, and it takes a lot of time and coordination to constantly change the weapon balance using the feedback on the forum.

we're far enough past the release of 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 that the forums have no purpose anymore

Jello
January 8, 2006, 4:59 am
Please don't.

a-4-year-old
January 8, 2006, 5:07 am
:(

can we just make that section for posting wms or something?
alot of ppl (and untill i tried it me aswell) hated wms, with a wm section we could see some cool wms and mabe someone would be like "yo dat be cool!" and go set up a server or something.

vash763
January 8, 2006, 5:22 am
I actually like that idea.

A new forum for weapons mods exclusively would be great.

a-4-year-old
January 8, 2006, 10:52 pm
yay someone approves!

anyway, i guess if nobody would want to modderate it i guess i would.

headstone
January 9, 2006, 2:08 am
I am headstone and err

... good idea

nfsjunkie91
January 9, 2006, 2:15 am
quote:Originally posted by vash763I actually like that idea.

A new forum for weapons mods exclusively would be great.

I concur.
Undoubtedly.

rabidhamster
January 9, 2006, 6:56 am
i would like a weapon mods subforum. i have about 30 weapon mods in my soldat folder, and i would like to share a couple, i'm sure other people feel the same way.

Echo_Trail
January 9, 2006, 9:49 am
About reopeneing the weapon balance discussions(with no ado).
I do think that weapon balance should be discussed. Regardless of how far we are in any versions. I don't think anything should be changed for 1.3.1, but future versions will come, and it's left to the ppl to decide what's best. i mean, sure we have beta testers and and all, but in the end ppl decides, right? correct me if i'm wrong.

I too find it annoying when ppl write things like said above by a4yo, but discussions must stay open.
And FLAB, what do you mean about there being no need for the forums? or it having no purpose?
I disagree! in fact, i think the forums have more purpose than ever, since the players of soldat has never been so far away from eachother concerning their opinions. Hardly anyone agrees on anything, so i think it's very important that there's somewhere to go, rather than just pushing the issues away. heh, i don't know if i understood you correctly though :P
thank you, echo_trail

3rd_account
January 9, 2006, 9:58 am
Reopen it. We all got suggestions and opinions. Also get rid of the unqualified weapon mod admins. For an example the ol' scapegoat Demonics started Soldat in 1.2 and used to play Minigun on alt. route in clan wars. He's nice'n'all, but as a representative of "the greater Soldat knowers" a sharp stick could at least not have a bad influence on the future of Soldat.

a-4-year-old
January 9, 2006, 8:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by Echo_TrailAbout reopeneing the weapon balance discussions(with no ado).
I do think that weapon balance should be discussed. Regardless of how far we are in any versions. I don't think anything should be changed for 1.3.1, but future versions will come, and it's left to the ppl to decide what's best. i mean, sure we have beta testers and and all, but in the end ppl decides, right? correct me if i'm wrong.

I too find it annoying when ppl write things like said above by a4yo, but discussions must stay open.
And FLAB, what do you mean about there being no need for the forums? or it having no purpose?
I disagree! in fact, i think the forums have more purpose than ever, since the players of soldat has never been so far away from eachother concerning their opinions. Hardly anyone agrees on anything, so i think it's very important that there's somewhere to go, rather than just pushing the issues away. heh, i don't know if i understood you correctly though :P
thank you, echo_trail

yeah, like now, i think there is a magor shortage of "barreters" and they all moved to autos/m79 so not only are there too many bullets flying randomly through the air, but nobody to go "BOOM" and than make teh auto die.

oh and echo_trail i knew it would be annoying to most as soon as they saw it in purple. Thats why i tried to be as polite and to the point as possible, instead of starting a flamming pile of waisted bandwith by starting out like this:

ZOMG REOPEN TEH M79 IS TEH OVERPOWERED CRAP HOLE AND ONLY ****S USE IT!!! MAKE TEH M79 CRAPZOR

you are welcome.

Deleted User
January 9, 2006, 10:18 pm
I think Echo_Trail was referring to the examples of annoying things that you gave, rather than what you had generally said, a-4-year-old, although I definitely see how anyone could think otherwise due to his wording.

At any rate, I'm not so sure the weapons mod forum will be making a comeback any time soon, since keeping it sane took an awful amount of moderating, and still accomplished little. It's just that everyone is either too strongly biased (barret is the DEVIL! Grrr!), or ends up overanalyzing everything (if you put this gun versus this gun in this room, and...).

If it were to return before 1.3.2 (or ever for that matter), I see it returning not as a forum for everyone to discuss what should be done, but rather a place for the beta testers to tell everyone what they're doing, answer questions, and look for any good, relevent suggestions from the players.

Beta Team: "We're doing this, this, and this right now."
Community: "Okay, but what about this?"
Beta Team: "To be honest, we don't see any real problem with that, so don't expect to see anything change there."
Community: "Well, alright... But what do you think of trying this as a way of doing that?"
Beta Team: "Hey, we hadn't thought of that--and it might just work, although this or that might get in the way."

Oh, and yeah--a forum made specifically for weapons modding could work wonders for getting more people to make better mods.

Raptor
January 10, 2006, 1:26 am
I think MM should increase the MP5's speed since shooting a real bullet horizontally doesn't get like 3 meters away before hitting the ground..

Echo_Trail
January 10, 2006, 6:44 am
quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-old

oh and echo_trail i knew it would be annoying to most as soon as they saw it in purple. Thats why i tried to be as polite and to the point as possible, instead of starting a flamming pile of waisted bandwith by starting out like this:

ZOMG REOPEN TEH M79 IS TEH OVERPOWERED CRAP HOLE AND ONLY ****S USE IT!!! MAKE TEH M79 CRAPZOR

you are welcome.

I know, and i'm sorry if my less perfect english misguided you.:D
It was really meant as a warning, a sign of what lay ahead for this kind of threads. By yes, i noticed how you wrote it, and i think it's fine. But as you can see, already this has gone of topic.
As raptor wrote below(no offends meant), something about modding the mp5 - this has nothing to do with the topic, and that is the sort of thing i was reffering to.

quote:Originally posted by YoMammasMammaI think If it were to return before 1.3.2 (or ever for that matter), I see it returning not as a forum for everyone to discuss what should be done, but rather a place for the beta testers to tell everyone what they're doing, answer questions, and look for any good, relevent suggestions from the players.

Beta Team: "We're doing this, this, and this right now."
Community: "Okay, but what about this?"
Beta Team: "To be honest, we don't see any real problem with that, so don't expect to see anything change there."
Community: "Well, alright... But what do you think of trying this as a way of doing that?"
Beta Team: "Hey, we hadn't thought of that--and it might just work, although this or that might get in the way."

Oh, and yeah--a forum made specifically for weapons modding could work wonders for getting more people to make better mods.

This is excactly what i mean. A good and stabile sort of team-work-alike thing between the betatesters and the community. So far, we can only dream of this due to progress problems such as written above, but if we could actually make this work, it'd be great! I don't know if an WM-only-forum is what we need, but i'm sure ready to give it a shot.
echo_trail

FliesLikeABrick
January 10, 2006, 12:46 pm
what i mean about there being no purpose was:

the Weapons balance forums were originally opened with the intention of creating a new weapon mod for the official servers, every week or two weeks. This happened... 2 or 3 times, max. Those forums were intended to get public feedback on changes to the balance from those servers, so that it could help the beta team make better changes to the balance.

The beta team is no longer working on changing the balance or anything, plus the servers are not updated and nobody makes the new weapons mod files...

Thus, for all of the reasons above, the forums have lost their purpose

Echo_Trail
January 10, 2006, 4:34 pm
Whoa... I see. Dude, that's kinda sad. How come the betas doesn't work with balance issues anymore?
We need someone to set the standards.

a-4-year-old
January 10, 2006, 8:35 pm
well it would go off topic eventually, they all do. but ppl like raptor have no place to say something like

person1"yo i made a mod to make all the weapons more balanced"
person2"you didnt even touch the spaz, it needs more speed"
person1"thx heres version #.#.# download here 'link'"
person3"nice job, but the chainsaw needs more ammo"
person2"i was going to do that, but i figured with the increace in gas prices they wouldnt fill up as much."
person1"lol nice"
person4"lol i made a wm with all bullets moving really fast, so it is hyper-realistic"
person2"the damage must be so low, they have like the same amount of damage!"
person3"ZOMG nice"
person1"yeah..."

end.

The Geologist
January 10, 2006, 11:35 pm
It is my understanding that many beta testers, myself included, are happy with the current weapons balance and would rather focus on major issues such as bug fixes than create another uproar over balance. We need to focus on one issue at a time, and the more serious ones come first.