( search forums )
Tree Haven, its dumb
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Ranzear
January 8, 2006, 4:47 am
So I said to myself 'Self! There was one time just after getting PolyWorks I was zoomed all the way out on accident and made a poly too big and the compile complained about it. Just how big can a map be?'

Well, half an hour later my answer is 'too big'. So big the only terrain you can manage is 'random and crappy' and the only way to validate it is to make it all 'tree branches' with 'trees' in the background.

Oh, my scenery-utilizing lighing effects are cool as usual, they look better in-game, because a screen is the width of your mouse, give or take, in the screenshot below =O

[IMAGE]

Note zoom level at lower left =D

vash763
January 8, 2006, 5:26 am
holy [CENSORED]ing [CENSORED]

oh ya, make more apoca maps

Keron Cyst
January 8, 2006, 5:40 pm
A screen is más o menos the width of a mouse cursor?! That's probably the largest map ever made in Soldat history!! Man, ultimate lag.

I'm getting it :-D

rabidhamster
January 9, 2006, 12:49 am
lol at 194 polygons. try making a small map with around 1.500 polygons, then, after shading, stretch it to 40.000% and voila! the biggest (and alright looking) map ever! just make sure to scenery-ify it.

"Oh, my scenery-utilizing lighing effects are cool as usual"

not really. it kinda looks like crap. try downloading serial killer's light pack if you want good scenery-based lighting.

Ranzear
January 9, 2006, 10:48 pm
I'll post it if you reeeaallly want it, but its kidna pointless as you'll never be able to actually find an opponent.

In-game the scenery lighting looks okay, overlapping sunlight shafts and stuff that got eaten by the JPG compression.

Anyone found a reliable way to create bouncy polys yet? They'd be great on a map similar (albiet smaller) to this.

Keron Cyst
January 9, 2006, 11:55 pm
Nah, I don't really want it that badly :-P

Bouncy polygons AFAIK can only be made by pasting the same polygon over itself, over and over again (most easily done in MM/MM+ IMO). It makes the ground itself really buggy and randomly launches you sky-high depending on how fast you hit it (won't work usually if you just run into it as if it's part of a long strip of land).

It'd probably be better to just establish infinite jet fuel.

Deleted User
January 10, 2006, 1:14 am
ROFL

Raptor
January 10, 2006, 1:18 am
quote:Originally posted by Keron Cystmás o menos

I'm getting it :-D

FIRST TIME I've ever seen a person say that :D

nfsjunkie91
January 13, 2006, 6:23 pm
hey Ranzear. I reaaaaaaaly] want it.