( search forums )
ideas to make rarely played gamemodes more popular
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
rabidhamster
January 8, 2006, 4:50 pm
this thread branches off of carlitos' thread about which gamemodes are more played. here are my suggestions:

teammatch
adding ane option to limit the number of teams playing would probably make it slightly more popular.

pointmatch
i don't know why people don't play it much. it's just like deathmatch, but with an addded twist. maybe just convince server admins to add more pointmatch servers?

hold the flag
since this gamemode is so rarely played, add another twist, michal! for example, up to four teams can play (the same option to limit the number of teams would exist here as well), the flag slowly kills the player holding it (the throw flag function would come in handy), or:

the flag has a timer floating above it. when the timer reaches zero, the flag explodes. it doesn't dissapear, it just makes an explosion on top of itself. not a normal explosion either, but a BIG explosion, maybe 150% the size of a normal one. after the flag explodes, the timer starts over.

rambomatch
how about, the less players there are, the slower the rambo user self-heals? with lots of players, say 16, the rambo user would heal considerably faster than if (s)he was having a lan party with two other people.

feel free to add on.

GluLm
January 9, 2006, 2:20 pm
Teammatch: I agree with that, adding team settings (posted this suggestion some days ago).

Pointmatch: you don't add much there... There should be an improvement like yellow flag carrier moves a bit faster or get more health point or even doesn't have self-bink anymore! (half kidding there) ;D
People simply don't find any reason for killing the flag carrier.

Hold the flag: good and original suggestions. Tweaking the teams available just like for TeamMatch, this would add a lot to the game. I don't really like the idea of an exploding flag, however a timer (like 15sec) or/and some kind of handicap for the flag carrier, why not?

RamboMatch: this sounds a bit difficult to implement, I don't think MM would do it. However I think Rambo is definitely too powerful (has always been actually) and its bow should be weakened!
I'm bored of having to slow down my gameplay when playing with weak players (aka play fair, otherwise people get bored of being killed by invisible arrows).
Let's reduce the fire rate for the bow or remove the auto-reload.

Infiltration: dascoo's topic about giving points to killer of flag carrier seems ok to me.
On a side note, Minigun is still too weak (useless when playing online, which is why I often use it :P) and Flamethrower is meaningless withouth the old timed use.

person
January 9, 2006, 3:04 pm
The reason why capture the flag is so popular is because it is relatively easy to perform a strategy... all the others are a side show.

Deathmatch and its various versions work... a little... because of the simplicity; and Rambomatch has just a slight twist that is easy to adjust to.

Hold the flag is too chaotic... only your ability to kill is handy. Teamwork is virtually non-existent, its simply too hard to keep track of everything. It's still fun, but I can see why its flavour is short-lived.

I think with pointmatch, people think it's just pointless. :p
It's too similar to Deathmatch, with minor added benefits.

my thoughts.

tRaQs
January 9, 2006, 8:13 pm
I've always wondered that for team match, make it much more exciting, and create better teamplay.

sticky_soldier
January 9, 2006, 10:25 pm
I like the HTF Exploding Flag idea. If that was implemented, I might ACTUALLY play HTF for a change. I mean, If you request a HTF server list, and the Players Combobox is set to "Not Empty", only a couple of servers will actually come up. This would give HTF a "refreshing" touch, and might encourage more players to play it.

Oh, and the rambomatch ideas are good. No Auto-reload, and slower healing would be good.

--
Sticky_Soldier

Swarmer
January 9, 2006, 11:10 pm
The only reason why no one plays is because no one wants to step outside thier comfort zone and play something totally new that they might not be immediately good in. There are not enough servers. The servers that exist have no people in it. The ones with people in it have like 2 people. No one is going to say, "I am going to try something new today and go into a 3 person rambo match." Server admins do not make these servers because no one wants to play. It's an endless cycle that will never be fixed by different gameplay.

The only way to get these modes to be more popular is by force. There needs to be gamemode rotations, just like map rotations. If a CTF server changes into a HTF server the next game, people will be too lazy to hunt out another CTF that may be halfway done. They will stay, and realize how fun it is. But server admins need to take the initiative to implement this when someone makes it possible.

GluLm
January 11, 2006, 9:08 pm
Yeah "gamemode rotations".
I never thought about that, but you're right.
This might help varying game modes on a server, however it'd be good to keep the ability to play deatchmatch on ctf maps.

Svirep
January 11, 2006, 9:51 pm
the only mode i never like to play is rambo match, it doesnt make much sense to me the way it is

i think that when starting the game there should be options to:
-modify rambos healing rate
-modify his max health
-modify his bow power

then some very interesting combinations could be made, think about it

also having to throw away your weapon to pick up the bow should be removed as far as im concerned, it causes too much problems

Koon
January 14, 2006, 3:37 am
As for your 4 player HTF suggestion, you can easily do that if your the admin by using /setteam(#) (player name). I do this all the time. Whats really fun is when i make myself the only one on delta then own everyone else. :D

but of course, it would be easier if it were simply an option.

vash763
January 14, 2006, 3:45 am
I like all of these.

John O
January 14, 2006, 7:17 pm
how about you move slower when you have the flag in hold the flag? that would force soem teamwork, and the better teamwork would win. or maybe you cant shoot when you have the flag?

and last but not least, adding "lowflag" as a scoring option would be neat: basically, the time has to be split up between your players. so in a 4 player/team game, each player cant get more than 10 points, and the points needed to win could be 40...

and i think that rambomatch and point match should be mixed. andlikewise, a way to nerf the rambo would be good.

GluLm
January 19, 2006, 3:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by Svirep
-modify rambos healing rate
-modify his max health
-modify his bow power

also having to throw away your weapon to pick up the bow should be removed as far as im concerned, it causes too much problems

I think the healing rate is perfectly good as it is, however the bow power is the real problem.
I noticed new comers always get bored of a Rambo killing spree (especially when they're the victims...) and they usually leave the game after a few minutes. The Bow is just overpowered, this should be reduced.

As for the weapon throw away, it's the whole point of Rambo match! People trying to get the bow all at once throwing weapons or keeping it to kill the others before they get it... don't you get it? ;)
However the sound effect while picking the bow has still not being fixed (this bug is there since the very fist version of Soldat).

Svirep
January 19, 2006, 10:19 pm
hmm well maybe
i never seem to get the bow and allways end up with another weapon someone else threw away so i'm probably bias

well the current healing rate makes most weapons almost pointless
especialy autos
anyway, an adjustable healing rate wouldn't hurt nobody right?

Dark_Noddy
January 19, 2006, 10:41 pm
I like all of theese suggestions !

"well the current healing rate makes most weapons almost pointless
especialy autos
anyway, an adjustable healing rate wouldn't hurt nobody right?"

Try Rambo vs. 16 Ak-ers in a open map >_< U wnt survive THAT loong.. (nless they are [CENSORED]ty players and hog together so U can blast all of them)

For the Pointmatch, this is WAY better then Deathmatch, the reason is that its more intense, I've played many times when the one with the most points have like 27/30 and some other dude have 15/30 and then he gets flag and wins like 30/30 while the first one only have 29 :o Pointmatch Pawns DM 1000x (sorry for horrbile english >_<)

Svirep
January 19, 2006, 10:45 pm
well i said "almost" pointless
in my experience those 16 people will probably use 1 shot 1 kill weaps
mostly

Keron Cyst
January 21, 2006, 1:00 am
All of rabidhamster's ideas are good except for the HTF ideas. Making the flag explode periodically is just weird, and slowly killing its holder would make it even less popular. And you can't add more teams because it'd ruin all the current HTF maps.

HTF is fun. It just needs more htf_Nuclear-style maps where SPs are right next to each other, like htf_Muck.

Deleted User
January 21, 2006, 3:23 am
If HTF maps were making more "King of the Hill"-ish then it would be popular.

GluLm
January 31, 2006, 11:14 pm
About the Rambo Bow again, there could be this option too as for when you get the bow:

You start with 5 arrows,
Each kill gives you 1 or even 2 arrows.
Once you have no more arrow, you have to wait 40 seconds to reload. (and run for your life)

Although I still think the fire rate should be slightly reduced. Well that's just an idea, and it sounds good to me. It'd be funny to see everyone runs after you while you wait for the bow to reload. ;)