( search forums )
i'm leaving soldat for a while
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
rabidhamster
January 9, 2006, 7:14 am
rabidhamster's farewell to the community
(only for a bit though)

i know what many of you are thinking. i am not leaving the forums and soldat because i am unhappy about 1.3.1 or because of the new members that have joined. actually, i'm going away for a while because 1.3.1 and the new polyworks are both so much fun. soldat has consumed my life. i am currently failing biology with a 49, and it's my second best subject (i usually get 90s). i plan to come back on pi day (14/3/06), although you may see me post in the bash pit once a month, to prevent my account from being deleted (the 55 day limit thing still exists, i believe).

in a little over two months, i will be back, with a few 24/7 servers running (click my sig for details), and a couple fresh and sexy maps. i also hope to be playing soldat 1.3.2 with everyone by then.

see you all in march!

ps: yes, i did notice that this is my 666th post.

Spectral
January 9, 2006, 7:21 am
leaving with 666 posts is a bad omen.. :Q

but ya soldat can be consuming...but so not worth the time people may spend on it

Echo_Trail
January 9, 2006, 9:39 am
Aw man.. Too bad you're leaving. One of the few respective players left. I'm looking forward to your return, and your defeat that is. Untill then: So long, and thanks for ol' times spend.
See you around, ol' chum.

lithium
January 9, 2006, 5:31 pm
Ayeye, soldat is time-consuming. That doesn't mean you can't balance it though. I've found that doing homework and crap first, then playing soldat for an hour or so later on in the night after talking with friends or whatever, you can still play without turning into a computer nerd.

reckon
January 9, 2006, 8:43 pm
I havent played for a good week or so.
WHOOPS.
Ive kinda lost touch with soldat, consoles are now rocking my world.

STEELIX
January 9, 2006, 9:08 pm
I don't think I'd make a goodbye post in the event of me leaving... Attention [CENSORED]..

Liber_Lupus
January 9, 2006, 9:53 pm
And? Why did you make a topic about it? Just leave and come back when you will.

Alamo
January 9, 2006, 10:57 pm
hm... my time spent on soldat just reduced itself slowly... by now i'm playing a bit more again... and if i play some more and get used to the new weapons, i will gain my old skill back too.

but see you later rabidhamster!

Deleted User
January 10, 2006, 12:01 am
I once played a free online game that was often said to be cursed, because whenever one of the relatively-established players tries (or is forced by real life) to leave, they would always come back eventually. The "curse" even worked on the game itself--when it (Mercenaries of Astonia) was shut down by Daniel Brockhaus (a "Michal Marcinkowski equivalent") in order to make way for his new pay-to-play Astonia III (which is sort of the culmination of his efforts), a few players got together to buy a liscense and rent a server, and The Lost Mercenaries was born--and with it came the return of many of the original players, along with a plethora of new ones. That incarnation eventually died an abrupt and unexplained death, only to be replaced by what is today multiple independent servers--across all three of which many of the players, from as far back as 5 or more years ago, have returned.
I'd been around there since the first incarnation, and was around all the way up to the current incarnations of servers (and I even became a low-level "staffer" in the Thule admin team), but I found myself having to leave due to the ever-present "real life" getting complicated last year... Although I know it's only a matter of time before the curse tightens its grip on me and drags me back.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make with this story is that as long as you truly enjoy Soldat and its community, there'll never be a need for anyone to question whether you'll be back or not--there'll never even be a need to say farewell, because you and us will all know it's not the last we've seen of each other.

Oh, and I was bored, so a story seemed like a good idea at the time.

Lastly, a little something more practical to say: I know from experience that sometimes, the solution to the problem is to actually sit down and play a game like this one (or the one in my sissypants story, which is where I got my own experience to be saying this). You know what kind of game I mean; a game that can keep you playing not necessarily over hours and hours (not to say that Soldat can't, of course), but rather over an extended period of time. It can make things a lot easier when you have something to look forward to every day, and/or when you can regularly take on a challenge without having to worry about the consequences of losing.
In other words, don't stress out dude--and if you get a hankerin' for some Soldat, don't feel bad about playing some, as long as you follow the tried and tested rule of moderation.

And now I'm getting kinda tired of all this typing, so see ya 'round, O' Rabies-Infected Hamster.

Raptor
January 10, 2006, 1:23 am
Man... sad to see you leave. I hope you come back sooner :)

Deleted User
January 10, 2006, 2:25 am
youll come crawling back, and when you do ill bump this topic :P just for you

ThaD
January 10, 2006, 4:44 pm
lounge

b00stA
January 12, 2006, 7:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by ThaDlounge

backseat

LazehBoi
January 12, 2006, 7:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stAquote:Originally posted by ThaDlounge

backseat

martinmarta
January 12, 2006, 7:45 pm
All this addiction stuff is scaring me...

Should I not play this game anymore?

O.O

Chakra`
January 12, 2006, 10:14 pm
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE MARTINMARTA!!

JUST STAY ALIVE! STAY ALIVE AND I WILL FIND YOU!

*dives into the waterfall while listening to Last of the Mohicans soundtrack*

tRaQs
January 13, 2006, 2:34 am
quote:Originally posted by lithiumAyeye, soldat is time-consuming. That doesn't mean you can't balance it though. I've found that doing homework and crap first, then playing soldat for an hour or so later on in the night after talking with friends or whatever, you can still play without turning into a computer nerd.

This works for me too, I like the feeling of closing the day off with fun.