( search forums )
Graphics Update
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deamonel
January 9, 2006, 5:41 pm
I'm not sure about you guys, but I htink it's time to consider a major graphics update.

My ideas are atlest a new explosion effect and new weapons graphics, both on the weapons menu and in-game. I think most things could use a bit of a shape up.

Please give your opinions!

(Better and more hairstyles too, please! ^^)

Deleted User
January 10, 2006, 12:04 pm
Well, the soldier graphics received a subtle update in 1.3.1. However, I do agree the guns on the interface need updating, I personally don't like them very much.

quote:(Better and more hairstyles too, please! ^^)

This actually won't happen, Michal has said before that he coded the game badly and if he wanted to add further hairstyles, he'd have to rewrite a large amount of code.

CrazyKid980
January 10, 2006, 2:22 pm
I really think the graphics are fine the way they are. I don't see a need for improvment.

Deleted User
January 10, 2006, 2:59 pm
its not needed, but I would love it if the graphics got improved :D

_Mancer_
January 10, 2006, 4:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by Stalky
quote:(Better and more hairstyles too, please! ^^)

This actually won't happen, Michal has said before that he coded the game badly and if he wanted to add further hairstyles, he'd have to rewrite a large amount of code.

Well maybe if that step was taken, a huge advancment in soldat could make it even more great than it already is..?

DePhille
January 10, 2006, 6:13 pm
Find a modification for Soldat , get some people to back it up and propose it to Michal.
I suggest you take some realistic modification , not some starwars mod or something (no offense).

If there should be one graphics update that would really do alot of change it is a resolution change to 800X600 , Graphics will be much more detailed (a 10x10 pixel gun can be a 15x15 one for example).
Every PC that can handle Soldat can handle 800X600 resolution.
This update will require a whole lot of coding though.

Grtz , DePhille

Mielos
January 10, 2006, 8:51 pm
800x600 would be interesting but indeed a lot of work.

Maybe it's just me, but when I aim/look to the right,One hand pokes out above the gun. Also when I'm reloading an mp5, I don't see any clip getting dropped, no matter what direction I'm looking at. There are more of those little flaws when I last checked (about 2 months ago or more) but appearantly not many people notice it so I guess it isn't important ;)

karmazonpl
January 10, 2006, 9:00 pm
I'd like to see soldat becoming compatible with prosavage cards

Miglot Af eraon
January 10, 2006, 9:08 pm
It cud be normal a wile longer i think

Captain Ben
January 10, 2006, 10:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_[b]
Well maybe if that step was taken, a huge advancment in soldat could make it even more great than it already is..?

True. Even if it's going to take weeks/months/years and is going to be a [CENSORED] to do, Michal should bite the bullet and just do it.

Deleted User
January 10, 2006, 11:56 pm
Id love it if he could. Possibly to buy new weapons that noone else has, keep a personal highscore of everyone... Make it compact (not spazz out when you close it to go on msn or something) and uhh fix things here and there.

Augustus
January 11, 2006, 12:24 am
quote:Originally posted by Captain Ben
True. Even if it's going to take weeks/months/years and is going to be a [CENSORED] to do, Michal should bite the bullet and just do it.

Ha, Michael doesn't have to do anything if he doesn't want to, as he's already provided us with a great game.

Now that I've gotten the shameless Michal worship out of the way, 800x600 would be nice, but not necessary, as some of the mods here on the forums look pretty nice. Perhaps as an alternative we could add some of the higher quality mods out there as part of the Soldat download.

sticky_soldier
January 11, 2006, 2:03 am
quote:Originally posted by Stalky

How much code is a "large amount of code"? I mean, if it is something astronomical like 500+ lines of code, and MM decided to actually recode this, it would mean that there would be a large gap inbetween versions.

Personally, I find the hairstyles fine as they are.
Just like CrazyKid980, I find the graphics fine as they are. They are a lot better then some classic DOS games' graphics (w00t, DOS...). I mean, Soldat graphics are full colour, gradient, and textured. Some games don't use any of these.

quote:Originally posted by Captain Ben
Even if it's going to take weeks/months/years and is going to be a ** to do, Michal should bite the bullet and just do it.

You realise that MM did this, that we would have to use the current version and wait while he programs the next one? If he recoded the hairstyles, it would add a significant amount of coding time to the release.

--
Sticky_Soldier

Mr. Domino
January 11, 2006, 8:24 am
quote:Originally posted by karmazonplI'd like to see soldat becoming compatible with prosavage cards

I wonder how difficult it would be to include the Savage fixes for the graphics. I really don't understand how replacing some graphics makes them compatible with my laptop's graphics card. If it's that simple, couldn't the updated graphics be included from the onset if they don't interfere with other cards?

Deamonel
January 11, 2006, 3:07 pm
I think you guys seem to see my point really well, I mean I don't DEMAND an update, and it's not really acute, but i think it would make a big change, and would be really refreshing. The graphics are basically the same as when I saw soldat for the first time, many, many years ago.

Xanthophobia
January 11, 2006, 4:51 pm
As far as I'm concerned... the only thing that needs updating (graphics wise) is the main menus. :) Everything else is kooly nuff.

GluLm
January 11, 2006, 9:15 pm
quote:Deamonel wrote: The graphics are basically the same as when I saw soldat for the first time, many, many years ago.
So what?
Anyway, I disagree. Better keep the original graphics and interface. The "new" gosteks have already been a too big change in my opinion!
Soldat is Soldat, and it's not meant to become a new game with different look with each new version. >:(

DePhille
January 11, 2006, 9:29 pm
Soldat has way more than 500 lines of code.
Easy programs , even in visual basic , climb to 1000 lines very easily.
I can't say how much code Soldat has but 500 is waay too little.

Everyone is happy with the current Soldat graphics , or they would be playing anoher game.
This topic talks about if there HAD to be a graphics update , what would it be?
The first post may not really suggest that but if you think it is good atm please also tell what update you'd want if there HAD to be one. (Or , like GluLum , completely disagree with any new graphical update)

800X600 would have some nice benefits. Everything would be more detailed and windowed mode would look alot bigger. But I think MM will also need to rewrite parts , if not all , of the 'Soldat Engine' , which takes a huge amount of time.

Grtz , DePhille

Dark_Noddy
January 11, 2006, 10:12 pm
I wouldnt mind a 'face lift' on soldat, however it COULD mess up the whole "soldat feel", least for ppl playing it for ages.. Personaly tho (as I said) a small 'face lift' could be interesting, but I like it as it is.. Its... Soldat :) As this would take alot of coding I'm against the Idea.. Improving the netcode (etc.) would be much better use of the time..

as for the 'code amount' Dunno if U been to #Soldat.gather, but the Gatherbot has 1000+ lines, and thats only a script run by mIRC, not a 'independent' program..

peemonkey
January 11, 2006, 11:09 pm
i like how it curently is. maybe with alittle more stuff like lighting, it'd be alright, but not a major overhaul. it'd not feel the same.

Deamonel
January 12, 2006, 2:54 pm
Well... So far I agree with everybody, except for our dear conservative; GluLm. I must say I am really conserned about Dark Noddy's point about the "Soldat Feel", losing this would destoy the game seriously...

DePhille
January 12, 2006, 8:34 pm
I share the same.
Soldat is one of the simplest games I know being played alot atm.
That's because of it's unique gameplay.

But adding 800X600 won't destroy that , it'll just make the graphics nicer , that's all.
It will also improve the Gameplay for windowed mode , for the rest I think that's all that will change the gameplay.

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
January 13, 2006, 3:26 am
Although 800x600 would be kinda nice, the amount of effort that would have to go into it just wouldn't be worth the extra handful of pixels you'd get to play with in each graphic.

As far as an aesthetic upgrade is concerned, I'd much rather see MM work out how to get custom gosteks to work. Also, one of the main (known) obstacles is related to the file downloading--which improving would most likely lead to performance improvements in other sectors of the game, as well.

a-4-year-old
January 13, 2006, 10:27 pm
for those who say graphics are not needed,

i have atleast 4 friends who dont play soldat because the graphics are so bad.

but one of them dont count because he is a jerk. and my brother doesnt count cuz hes a [CENSORED] and a [CENSORED]ing [CENSORED]tard mother [CENSORED]er (gotta love family)

well, i think that soldat needs to feel more 3d, atleast look a bit better, the default maps have no (aparent) foreground or background.

as for graphics, the soldats have big pixels, just look at my avatar, real big.
i dono how to solve that but it should be done

DePhille
January 13, 2006, 10:34 pm
it needs to stay as it is now ; 2D and Sideview.
It is already 3D (Try playing it without a 3D Vid Card ;o).
'3D' can be made if you got alot more pixels where you can use your gradient (800X600 is an ultimate minimum for guns I think , prolly 1024X769 is better but 10% of the PCs dont have that(1024X768)) to put your gradients and shadows in.

The gameplay must stay the same though , Soldat is a game that can be liked 100% or disliked 100%. I also play heavy 3D games like Battlefield 2 etc. , but I still love Soldat , just because it is unique and I like the community.

Grtz , DePhille

vash763
January 14, 2006, 3:47 am
The whole Evo mod thing should be the new standard

GluLm
January 14, 2006, 7:27 pm
quote:vash763 had this stupid ideaThe whole Evo mod thing should be the new standard

NO. Shut up about this already. The gostek change was already too much in my opinion! >:(

a-4-year-old
January 15, 2006, 12:11 am
GluLm or glum, there is no need for calling his idea stupid. seriously stfu

[IMAGE]

Ken the Great
January 16, 2006, 5:04 pm
I'd say, that soldat is good as it is right now, except some stuff. Those things are (IMO) the resolution, the graphics and some of those "extras".
the resolution could be 800x600 as already said here, the graphics could need a little more, as long as they stay the 2d and sideview, but I think if there was like foregrounds and so. a better background could also be fun but it would require more of mapmakers and so.
Also, the weapons would need a re-touch, they can look better.
for those small extras I don't have any specific in mind.

This is what Kennie thinks. Thank you and have a nice day.

person
January 16, 2006, 5:16 pm
I reckon instead of just the default gradient background, an image can be chosen if the maker so wishes. I'd say the "photorealistic" maps would be the way of the future, if they weren't so big in file size.

I also think Soldat should use a torrent system for file transfer, which would include the server as a permanent seed. This would allow for the easy downloading of lots of small files, and speed up the download of both maps and especially custom gostek files which should be included in the future.
Every player becomes a client and transfers at the end of each map to any new player that may come along.

Seriously... consider it! I'm going to post the torrent idea in the custom gostek thread too.

Ken the Great
January 29, 2006, 11:20 am
as well as I think the menu would need a "re-touch", it looks so.. dull or something..
Some more advanced look..

a-4-year-old
January 29, 2006, 2:58 pm
i think this was stated earlier, but still, it would be a great improvement.

the soldats should have more pixels in the same space (smaller pixels) so that they look a bit better. im sure making it look a bit better wouldnt give us the huge loading times that MM hates so much

Deleted User
January 29, 2006, 4:02 pm
I think its good now no need any graphics updates

Ken the Great
January 29, 2006, 6:08 pm
there's no need for any graphics updates, but it would be good with some.

Maninhow
January 29, 2006, 6:34 pm
what it needs to be modified is the style of skin that it is much ridicule. And to take off this/kill in the end of rouns of the Survival.

btw.. good idea

Deleted User
February 1, 2006, 5:16 pm
I think that it is good to change with the times, and Michael may be working on an over haul right now or thinking about it (i dunno) but there are still mods and stuff to keep you occupied and the game itself kicks complete ass so waiting wouldnt be bad :D

Yuth
February 2, 2006, 2:39 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Stalky

800x600 would be a nice graphic update...
Though I think it would mean a hell lot of coding.

But if Michal took some time, and did this...
It would make Soldat more enjoyable by like 30%

I don't know, is 30% worth it ? ^^

Nuts
February 3, 2006, 12:27 am
800x600 would be nice, and even higher resolutions, like 1600x1200 would be made without lagging or etc, if the coder is enough good :) Soldat is made very simply, and it doesnt need much calculation, only collision, and.. thats all.

Some of you was talking about the codeĀ“s lenght, i think you need to put two zeros after the 500..
Thats a lot of code, and debugging it is HELL. I know it, i've made small ~5000 row programs, and even that is hell to debug! So you can think how crazy Michal is every time when he heards about some another bug! x)

GAMEOVER
February 3, 2006, 4:09 am
Mods are made for a reason, to me I dont really care if MM changes em cus ill always use a mod im on now or an altered version of it unless its a completely custom mod I make.

Drink Bloody Water
February 3, 2006, 11:57 am
I'd like to see a graphics update. but not tooooo big

Drink Bloody Water
February 3, 2006, 11:58 am
my friend said the characters are a lil too small

Soulsnipa
February 3, 2006, 12:53 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by DePhilleFind a modification for Soldat , get some people to back it up and propose it to Michal.
I suggest you take some realistic modification , not some starwars mod or something (no offense).

Grtz , DePhille

None Taken

echo
February 3, 2006, 1:36 pm
Improving the cenary/maps quality would be better IMO. There is no need of implementing new or fixing codes.
Soldat Polyworks can do wonders. However you really need a lot of time and imagination to learn and create awesome cenaries. I would love to see the default maps improved by the use of this program. It got some "fake" 3D effects that can be added without ruining the game.

For those who never heard of it: http://smaps.llsc.us/polyworks/screenshots.html