( search forums )
Peace, not war
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Elephant_Hunter
January 13, 2006, 8:10 am
I am not mad at Ok anymore.

Reason: I have Moved on / the wiki idea / I'm starting to learn russian (and I suck at russian grammar) / arguing is tiring

Normally I don't get angry for very long. Hopefully my demeaning remarks have not already been too much to seek forgiveness.

thekingkitty
January 13, 2006, 8:22 am
oooo your not mad anymore?........ok

Chakra`
January 13, 2006, 8:39 am
Don't worry, i'm mod there too ...just saving all the crap in there then i'm gonna clean it up over the weekend.

thekingkitty
January 13, 2006, 8:47 am
all the hard work.....lost...

Elephant_Hunter
January 13, 2006, 8:51 am
KingKitty, you are relatively new to the community. I have no idea how Ok got 300 posts, but he probably spent time getting them. If he doesn't know what waypointing is (let alone how it works), then I would venture to guess that he spends more time posting than figuring out. I knew what waypointing was before my first post on these forums. Naturally, a qualified mod for that subforum should know how Soldat works.

By the way, being a moderator does not mean that you moderate all forums.

thekingkitty
January 13, 2006, 9:11 am
No one needs to know waypointing at all, no matter if they are new or if they have 300 posts. In fact waypointing is just an option to know,and some people do choose to do it.I don't have to make my own bots, but i still make my own bots.

And being a mod for the guide forum doesn't mean you need to know every thing about soldat. Its a community guide, this is where people put everything they know about soldat. Ok and the other mods are just there to keep everything in order, and maybe even put their own thoughts for the guide, which i think OK has done an ok job of showing that.

Elephant_Hunter
January 13, 2006, 9:21 am
Wait, I thought that you did not know what waypointing was?

In the past, moderators have been knowledgable in the areas that they moderated. I thought it safe to assume that this was commonplace. Some mod please correct me if I am wrong.

thekingkitty
January 13, 2006, 9:35 am
I DON'T know what waypointing is (something to do with bots thats all i know), i can quote that if you want me to.

I think OK knows what hes doing,if he doesn't understand what waypointing is well darnit no one is perfect! And there's other mods there too who may know.

Let us not dish our mods,let us honor them -soldat bible

peemonkey
January 13, 2006, 10:13 am
chakra's got it covered with his magnificant beard, nothing to see here, move along.

person
January 13, 2006, 3:16 pm
What Ok is doing is creating a guide for Soldat, with help from the community. He is going to edit all of those scraps of ideas into one piece of work, and I assure you, it will take a lot of work to make it.

Don't complain about what he's done unless you think he is doing a poor job/could be doing it better. Offer suggestions.

Elephant_Hunter
January 13, 2006, 6:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by personWhat Ok is doing is creating a guide for Soldat, with help from the community. He is going to edit all of those scraps of ideas into one piece of work, and I assure you, it will take a lot of work to make it.

Don't complain about what he's done unless you think he is doing a poor job/could be doing it better. Offer suggestions.

That is exactly what I am bringing into question here. He is doing a poor job and could be doing better.

Is he totally ignoring this topic, or does he have multiple accounts? Come here and fight like a man! Defend your position as a moderator! I know that you are out there someplace.

Ok
January 13, 2006, 6:11 pm
Before I even start to talk about anything.
The Modertator's job is EXACTLY to edit and direct other posts.
The fact that other are not allowed to start their own topics is because this isn't a wiki where everyone just puts in their ideas and it becomes a guide.
It needs to be edited and summerizing, inorder to do so! it needs a certin order , that's why everything is controled and moderated but at the same time, each word you post is read carefully and exmined for its effectivity.
Editing your post was meant to eliminate further spam into another post and to maintain a certin context.

Now! The reason for this thread is the following:

Elephant_Hunter posted something in the newcomers guide..
most of it was tips about clans and weapons , can't rememebr exactly what atm but it was too specific and too detailed.
There for I posted this:
quote:Originally posted by OkMeet the Clans topic:
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=30751

And the weapons one:
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=30202

Please post in the right places.

He got pissed, for some reason.

then changed his post to this:

quote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunter*snip*

Edit: You asked how to become a respectable player, and I responded. There are two rubbish posts above mine. Instead of deleting the rubbish, you criticized me. I do not like the way this subforum is managed so I choose to remove my input from it.

Have a good day.

I then added this note:

quote:
Admin notes:
This is not the "respect my authorotteh" forum.
Post in the wrong places and you will be directed to the right ones.
Refusing to help because someone "dissed" your proposal because you ignored the rules, is a clear indication that you are not here to help.
ty for your attemp, and hf playing soldat in the future.

He then got even more pissed and claimed for power abuse becuase I edited his post (adding that note at the end of it).

As for his claims, they ofcourse dont come from his oh so worring mind the safety of this project, nevertheless I will answer them so everyone who are worried by it, will be able to sleep at night..

Spelling has never been my best feature in English, as I openly claimed so many times before.
being aware of that (as someone already corrected my mistakes before):

quote:Originally posted by OkOh trust me, you're going to find ALOT of typos in this forum , for I made it.. ^_^
If you find anymore corrections, do tell, (preferably in a PM so I won't be publicly humiliated too much).
Nevertheless, the guide itself will go through atleast 2 spelling checks by 2 English speakers (as in native tounge).

So that's the first thing, as for not knowing stuff about soldat...
Your "pure" intentions and worries about soldat are misplaced... I know much about Soldat and probably more then you (just an educated assumption there based on expirience with guys like you, I could be wrong).

No one, and I promise you, NO one knows everything there is to know about Soldat, that's why this forum exists , because I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everything, I learn as I edit this guide just like any other which is a great way to write a guide when you actualy need to learn from it.

In topics I know nothing about, I ask and learn about it to find out its effectivness:

quote:Originally posted by Okquote:Originally posted by TempestIn addition to what Meep said, when you're severely injured you can go prone on the ground and pretend to be a dead body. And that being said, you should be wary of other dead bodies because they could be other players playing dead too ;).

Are you serious?!?!
Does that actualy work?!?!

And some ppl (who are actualy here to help) answer:

quote:Originally posted by Tempest
Not all the time, but it does work :). Although I forgot to mention that it helps to put your cursor right under your soldat so your head and gun don't stick out while not limiting your field of vision too much. Sometimes you might get killed by stray shots or grenades :(. And doesn't help if it's survival and someone on the other team tells the others that you're playing dead lol.

As for not investing my time into this or whatever crap he posted there...

I'm working and studying atm, I started this project knowing I'll need help, there I'm getting it bit by bit.
Dephille/Chakra are the first true help I've got.
And soon enough I started getting help from posters, which is what we mostly need.

Hopefully soon, very soon some more guys will join.

quote:Originally posted by OkBefore I even start to talk about anything.
The Modertator's job is EXACTLY to edit and direct other posts.
The fact that other are not allowed to start their own topics is because this isn't a wiki where everyone just puts in their ideas and it becomes a guide.
It needs to be edited and summerizing, inorder to do so! it needs a certin order , that's why everything is controled and moderated but at the same time, each word you post is read carefully and exmined for its effectivity.
Editing your post was meant to eliminate further spam into another post and to maintain a certin context.

Now! The reason for this thread is the following:

Elephant_Hunter posted something in the newcomers guide..
most of it was tips about clans and weapons , can't rememebr exactly what atm but it was too specific and too detailed.
There for I posted this:
quote:Originally posted by OkMeet the Clans topic:
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=30751

And the weapons one:
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=30202

Please post in the right places.

He got pissed, for some reason.

then changed his post to this:

quote:Originally posted by Elephant_Hunter*snip*

Edit: You asked how to become a respectable player, and I responded. There are two rubbish posts above mine. Instead of deleting the rubbish, you criticized me. I do not like the way this subforum is managed so I choose to remove my input from it.

Have a good day.

I then added this note:

quote:
Admin notes:
This is not the "respect my authorotteh" forum.
Post in the wrong places and you will be directed to the right ones.
Refusing to help because someone "dissed" your proposal because you ignored the rules, is a clear indication that you are not here to help.
ty for your attemp, and hf playing soldat in the future.

He then got even more pissed and claimed for power abuse becuase I edited his post (adding that note at the end of it).

As for his claims, they ofcourse dont come from his oh so worring mind the safety of this project, nevertheless I will answer them so everyone who are worried by it, will be able to sleep at night..

Spelling has never been my best feature in English, as I openly claimed so many times before.
being aware of that (as someone already corrected my mistakes before):

quote:Originally posted by OkOh trust me, you're going to find ALOT of typos in this forum , for I made it.. ^_^
If you find anymore corrections, do tell, (preferably in a PM so I won't be publicly humiliated too much).
Nevertheless, the guide itself will go through atleast 2 spelling checks by 2 English speakers (as in native tounge).

So that's the first thing, as for not knowing stuff about soldat...
Your "pure" intentions and worries about soldat are misplaced... I know much about Soldat and probably more then you (just an educated assumption there based on expirience with guys like you, I could be wrong).

No one, and I promise you, NO one knows everything there is to know about Soldat, that's why this forum exists , because I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everything, I learn as I edit this guide just like any other which is a great way to write a guide when you actualy need to learn from it.

In topics I know nothing about, I ask and learn about it to find out its effectivness:

quote:Originally posted by Okquote:Originally posted by TempestIn addition to what Meep said, when you're severely injured you can go prone on the ground and pretend to be a dead body. And that being said, you should be wary of other dead bodies because they could be other players playing dead too ;).

Are you serious?!?!
Does that actualy work?!?!

And some ppl (who are actualy here to help) answer:

quote:Originally posted by Tempest
Not all the time, but it does work :). Although I forgot to mention that it helps to put your cursor right under your soldat so your head and gun don't stick out while not limiting your field of vision too much. Sometimes you might get killed by stray shots or grenades :(. And doesn't help if it's survival and someone on the other team tells the others that you're playing dead lol.

As for not investing my time into this or whatever crap he posted there...

I'm working and studying atm, I started this project knowing I'll need help, there I'm getting it bit by bit.
Dephille/Chakra are the first true help I've got.
And soon enough I started getting help from posters, which is what we mostly need.

Hopefully soon, very soon some more guys will join

And just a note for you..
My 300 posts is a very low count for someone who has been playing soldat and involved in the community for almost 3 years...

(Double-post combined. - Kazuki)

Elephant_Hunter
January 13, 2006, 6:31 pm
Ah... looks like we are here at the same time.

Soldat guides are hard to translate if they are not written in English. You talk in some sort of net-babble that falls just short of totally incomprehensible. It's not just the lack of spelling, grammar or punctuation. More so, I figure that you have some deep-rooted problem that may be seeded in your organizational skills.

Your claim that you may know more than me is plausible. You have been in the forums since late 2003. I joined in early 2004. I need to express why I am so appalled by your lack of knowledge. Before my first post in these forums, I read the entire Soldat manual (very eagerly, in fact), the map-maker manual, and I had even created two maps. I do not expect every forum member to have done the same. I do not even expect you to know more than me. I just thought that you would have at least read the official documentation of Soldat before trying to make a replacement for it.

Edit: I did not realize that you have been a member for three years, but I would hardly call 300 posts an "involved" membership.

DeMonIc
January 13, 2006, 6:40 pm
Before someone gets hurt, stop this nonsense and burry the hatchet.

Ok hasn't been involved with the soldat forums community because of his communication, most people don't tolerate him. However he has started numerous projects, like the Soldat Hall of Fame and the Soldat history book, and he's run Soldat Radio quite successfully with the aid of Chakra. It is obvious that he wants the good of this forsaken community: it's just that he can't express himself very well, and he has the ego with the size of a skyscraper.

E_H, I know that you're trying to help too, but please, you guys should continue this (if you really find it necessary) via PM, and make up. It's better for everyone. Besides, Chakra is going to make a last run-over on the guide if I recon correctly, which means the guide will be in English, and not Okrish. :)

Elephant_Hunter
January 13, 2006, 7:32 pm
Ok needs to understand that I did not post in the wrong section. My post discussed how a newcomer should expect the Soldat community to act and how to deal with the community in certain situations. I may have touched on issues such as weapons and clans, but only in relation to the community.

quote:Attitude

One who believes that his skills are the best can not progress. Watch the way that other people act, and then decide who you respect more. The "vet" who is spouting names at newcomers most likely does not represent somebody that players strive to become. Disrespect is worse than just bad etiquette. It ruins the game for everyone. Server administrators often choose to kick players with bad attitudes so as to avoid a bad reputation.

Weapon choice

Keep an open mind. This does not mean to switch your weapon every minute. Keeping an open mind means to know when the situation calls for a particular gun. The sniper rifle is a great weapon for hunting down one or two enemies. Automatics work well in groups. Every weapon has its perks. Try each gun out, and don't let common complaints about weapons have an effect on your decisions. The developer of this game is growing more confident about the balance with every version. Consequently, do not feel intimidated by a weapon simply because players feel that it should be weakened.

Clans

Take careful consideration when looking for potential clans. Notice how the members treat each other. Ask questions and spectate a few clan matches. If they choose not to spend time recruiting you, then they may not be worth your time. Many clans require a tryout to gain membership. Practice until you are confident in your skills beforehand. Through my own experience, I have found that playing in death matches will do wonders for one's aim. Half the tryout is a personality test, much like a real-life interview. Act amiable so that other clan members get an idea of who you are. You will have a better chance of making the cut if they like your personality.

I will stop this nonsense if Ok can agree that I posted in the correct topic.

lithium
January 13, 2006, 7:34 pm
Yeah, this is sort of ridiculous...EH, I would just like to make the point that although you attack OK for displaying poor grammar and spelling in his posts, I'm pretty confident that English isn't his native language, so maybe you could just try a little harder to understand what he's saying? I can understand perfectly everything that he posts, it just takes more than a quick glance. And I'm assuming that since Chakra is in on this as well, he'll check it over to make sure it isn't totally incoherent.

EDIT: I guess Demonic pretty much said everything I just did. :/

Elephant_Hunter
January 13, 2006, 8:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by lithiumYeah, this is sort of ridiculous...EH, I would just like to make the point that although you attack OK for displaying poor grammar and spelling in his posts, I'm pretty confident that English isn't his native language, so maybe you could just try a little harder to understand what he's saying? I can understand perfectly everything that he posts, it just takes more than a quick glance. And I'm assuming that since Chakra is in on this as well, he'll check it over to make sure it isn't totally incoherent.

EDIT: I guess Demonic pretty much said everything I just did. :/

It would be ridiculous if I complained just about his grammar. In this topic I discuss other problems as well.

GAH! Everything else aside, due to Demonic's sweet heart, I would simply like to be able to post my advice in the correct topic in that forum (newcomer's guide) without being bothered by Ok.

Ok
January 13, 2006, 9:44 pm
Everyone is free to post in the forums guide, its open for all.

Every post is read and considered seriously, if its misplaced a note from an admin will redirect that poster to the right topic.

Flaming the admins for having bad grammer and abusing their power is not a way to get your notes into the guide.

If you still dont understand read this again:
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=30122

I've updated it, if you have further questions or complaints, please do it in the form of a PM.
ty

As for Demonic, if you think I have such a big ego:
Saying what you did to someone with a "skyscraper sized ego" is like throwing fuel inorder to put down a fire innit.
Promise me you'll never try to make peace in the middle east! ;)

Raptor
January 13, 2006, 10:30 pm
I agree with you that mods aren't doing their jobs correctly, and HHH is a living testimony of it.

Soulsnipa
January 13, 2006, 11:21 pm
This is what Elephant Hunter does when he doesnt get his way. He will argue until the end of dawn. Just ignore him, not everything goes according to the world of E_H. He speaks only what he knows and he doesn't look from the other sides of things.

Either follow the rules or live with getting punished. A moderator gained the position, you did not. Just because of your own ignorance, Ok should be not punished.

I've checked out the soldat guide forum. Yes, Ok could be doing a better job doing everything faster. Last time I checked Elephant, you were always the one to do things fast and correct either. You then blame other people for your mistakes. You will always be the same.

Ok just continue with the work. I believe your guide will be successful once it gets finished. It's just some people here are willing to make more obstacles for you, but persistence is key.

And just because of their post count it does not reflect the person. Ok is obviously not a starhunter and a spammer. That is all that it proves. Perhaps he took long breaks. Perhaps he just doesnt give output....but look what he is doing now. Plus in the end its not like hes making the information up....hes compiling other's ideas. With chakra behind him they have my support that they will be a good team and produce a good guide.

(Double-post combined. - Kazuki)

Elephant_Hunter
January 16, 2006, 10:26 pm
Right now I am taking English in college. I figure that some practice would do me good. In addition, there are studies that link chatting to illiteracy. These forums help to counter any damage done by instant messaging and fine-tune my interpretation skills. If you are looking to rival posts like that of mine or Chakra's, the spellchecker extension for Firefox helps to correct any spelling errors that one may miss.

mhm... I do not know what Chakra gets out of it. You will have to ask him.

Ok
January 17, 2006, 10:42 am
During the end of 2004 I used to check every post of mine, for the sole purpose of getting used to capital latters!
Spelling never bothered me much, because after all, in this community I'm in the English speaking elite (counting out all the native speakers ofcourse).
After getting my 94 in my final exam, I can seriously say I don't give a [CENSORED] so I will NOT check my posts over, I will not go through them even once.

Therefor typos/grammar mistakes will be made because I type WAYY to fast for me to think about it..

Now I'm up for a challange, I'll test you in Hebrew grammar, and you'll test me in English, k mate? ;)

Hell, you know what? forget Hebrew.. lets try your Russian:
Nastoyashiya mudrost' ishodit' iz ponimaniya tovo, kak malo ti znaesh!

davaj! to work!

Chakra`
January 17, 2006, 11:24 am
Keep a lid on it kids, don't make me get all admin-like on yaw asses, yo.

So yeah, Ok's first language ain't English, but god bless him he does pretty well at it regardless. Otherwise, taking in the grander scope of his project (with cooperation and authority from Double-M himself), he's doing a pretty bang-up job.

Moral of the story? You can trust a jew with your waffles. I love ya Ok xxxx

Ok
January 21, 2006, 6:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by Ok

Hell, you know what? forget Hebrew.. lets try your Russian:
Nastoyashiya mudrost' ishodit' iz ponimaniya tovo, kak malo ti znaesh!

Just to those who wonder.
That sentence means:
"True wisdom comes from the understanding of how much you don't know"
In russian ofcourse :)

Kazuki
January 22, 2006, 10:31 pm
Double-posts combined and spam/irrelevant posts deleted. I HAVE JOINED YE RANKS!

Anyway, as Peemonkey said, there's nothing more to this thread, and I'm sure that anymore disputes between these two can be handled via PM. Locked, for the sake of keeping this retard-free.