( search forums )
Smoke grenades!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
crg23
January 14, 2006, 12:58 am
I think it would be awsome to have smoke grenades in Soldat. Especially on maps like fortress and moonshine when there are enclosed buildings. you could throw in a smoke grenade and it would cloud up so people couldn't see. There should still be normal frag grenades though, just have two different types with a different powerup. Also when you spawn you should start w/ some of each.

Thoughts anyone?

Deleted User
January 14, 2006, 1:08 am
I dont see the use for this. but I wouldnt mind if it was implemented

crg23
January 14, 2006, 1:35 am
You know on INF_Fortress where everybody just camps inside? Or INF_Moonshine with that building full of campers? If you go in you are instantly pulverized. If they couldn't see you for say 10-15 seconds you could get the flag and run off leaving them blindly spraying. It would be sweet. Also for maps with tunnels and such like INF_Warehouse. Chuck in a few smoke nades and then flush out the campers.

GluLm
January 14, 2006, 1:36 am
NO.
People who post such things should be aware this can be a threat to Soldat.
Flash grenades either.
NO.

crg23
January 14, 2006, 1:45 am
How is it a threat? I think it would be fun.

Xanthophobia
January 14, 2006, 7:21 pm
Maybe 1 per person per life... otherwise you'd end up with a screen full of smoke. :D

It probably would be fun at first.. then it'd get annoying. I say no.

Flying_Dutchman
January 14, 2006, 8:11 pm
It sounds nice but I still think this is soldat, not counterstrike or a game like that.

a-4-year-old
January 15, 2006, 12:14 am
i dont think smoke would be easy, unless it was like the esplotion of teh nades. also, would it "block" your view in realistic, or just cloud an area.

it would be so Call of Duty 2 but copieing sucsses has never failed, right? RIGHT???

Deleted User
January 15, 2006, 1:10 am
LOL Glu, flash grenades. Imagine if it was implemented into from game to real life. xD

This is a cool idea, but it would be to much of a huge step for soldat.

Deleted User
January 15, 2006, 2:53 am
I only approve if the smoke is green and its called fartbang

Eagles_Arrows
January 15, 2006, 3:23 am
Aha, Psycho.

Anyway, I don't like this "Smoke Grenade" idea, either. I mean, throw a smoke grenade, wait for it to fully detonate and camp behind the smoke?

But I don't mind if it was like a "see-thru" smoke... regardless, it's a bad idea imo and it wouldn't fit into the soldat world.

a-4-year-old
January 15, 2006, 7:09 pm
lol think of the modding possibilities!

fartbang (all Psycho)
stinkbomb (with damaging affect?)
crapbomb (stinkbomb and fartbang combined)
the childishly amusing grinade (a crapbomb with a more damaging affect?)
cloudmaker deluxe 3000 (a smoke grinade that stayed longer)

Echo_Trail
January 15, 2006, 7:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by PsychoI only approve if the smoke is green and its called fartbang
- Haha.. agreed! Some ppl never change =P
Oh, nice postcount btw(1.000) ;]

Anyway, i like this. I think it should block the view, as if you were stading behind something in realistic mode. It should be something high and slim. It shoud act the way smoke does, rising upwards and not sideways. And i think different nades should be selectable from the weapons menu. Frag, Flash and smoke. You should only be able to carry one type of grenade.

CrazyEye
January 15, 2006, 8:36 pm
I think it would be an awsome idea, agreed 1 per person per life. Smoke would last about 2-3 seconds, admin could disable them, smoke doesnt do damage. I think you could make a mod for the grenades to do this, except people with the mod have a serious disadvantage.

headstone
January 15, 2006, 10:11 pm
Make it a power-up and I love it.

Antifate
January 15, 2006, 11:51 pm
I think it should be like clusters. A smoke grenade = realistic mode. You can't see people behind you, or through walls. It'd be fun.

Raptor
January 16, 2006, 12:46 am
But if you have smoke grenades in your inventory, what can you do to throw an explosive one? maybe pressing another button?

Echo_Trail
January 16, 2006, 6:46 am
yeah, he's right. This would be a mess. i say you get only ONE kind! Also, i think smoke should last a little longer.. like 8 seconds.

Yuth
January 27, 2006, 2:46 am
Smoke grenades, yeah. This is good ^^
Transparent smoke, as if you put clouds above each other in transparent.

And as there's more smoke it gets more solid.
Solid, impossible to see through with eyes.

Flash grenades would be cool also. ^^

CrazyEye
January 27, 2006, 2:50 am
It would take 3-7 translucent grey images. When the images overlap it gets more opaque.

Deleted User
January 29, 2006, 9:45 pm
It might be neat to use as scenery - sort of translucent, moving the way smoke should move. But I guess that should go into the map making section.

Deleted User
January 30, 2006, 4:33 am
hoe about about gas grenades?

nfsjunkie91
January 30, 2006, 4:35 am
this might cause lag (if the smoke was to be synched) and also, someone could easily edit their graphics to get an advantage. unless of course, soldat made polygon smoke. :P

Deleted User
January 30, 2006, 7:08 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by headstoneMake it a power-up and I love it.

Agreed. I was actually suprised it wasn't included in the first place.

Nuts
February 3, 2006, 12:35 am
Why it would make any lag?

Lets just use random, and let the smoke spread! If the nade will blow up in same place with every player, the smoke will look same with every player, even when you use random, (so we need only to give a seed to the random generator everytime when you drop gas grenade).

But if they will not blow in same place with every player, thats the problem. But i wonder why it wont blow up in same place, what if you send the coordinates from nade in every player when you drop it? Then it will work finely.

And if we fear someone would edit the smoke GFX, then let it be encrypted in soldat.exe that you cant hack it easily. (only with some memory edit programs is possible to change it (while playing soldat), but thats stupid to get such program for such thing...)

AND I LIKE.. NO I LOVE THIS IDEA! I already suggested this to Michal years ago... but nothing happened :(

Drink Bloody Water
February 3, 2006, 12:14 pm
10-15 seconds is way too long. maybe 5-10 to give you some extra time to run like hell

TaiQuin
February 4, 2006, 10:07 pm
yeah somke grenades would rock but campers would use the hell out of them. that just gave me a idea.

CrazyEye
February 5, 2006, 4:54 am
Uhh...actually the non-campers would use them more....to smoke out the campers....

TaiQuin
February 9, 2006, 12:22 am
Yes that add more fun to the game.

Meevious
March 6, 2006, 11:44 am
Good idea, but small radius (maybe 2 inches?), 5 seconds, spawn only 1, all soldiers in grenade area of effect are silluhetted and smoke is about 50% transparent, no transparency stacking, and (pretend the following is bold and underlined) no (rude word)ing flashbangs, you evil counterstriking infiltrators!

LawSuit
March 9, 2006, 3:17 am
It'd be an "interesting" development. It would take a lot of planning before it can actually be added to the game (Length, height, transparency, bleah). I would have to suggest no more than 1 per person, and that it should be like a side-choice, where you can decide whether to use the normal nades, or these smoke nades.
Yeah, so if it's added in, it's take a while to get used to, since it can introduce so many new possibilities. I'd just like to ask whether it would completely shroud the guys inside, and if it can block view in realistic mode (only from in the smoke, or no matter what?). Yeah.

ExiIe
March 14, 2006, 6:38 am
No. Theres basically no use for this it may be all smoky, but players will just spray with their gun on the smoke and eventually frag you.

- Tek -
March 14, 2006, 6:50 am
I was thinking you jsut have a nade that doesnt do damage, explodes faster(if left untouched after thrown) and all it would be is a longer explosion animation, but with smoke/or large flash of light, and perhaps larger.

Only way to give it a really good advantage is if your own smoke/flash nades didn't affect you.

Deleted User
March 19, 2006, 4:50 pm
smoke gernades, lets there are no upsides to this idea, it would just give away your postition, cover would be pointless because people would just spray into your cloud, it would be just another thing to clog up my ram and lag servers, pluse people would be doing stupid things with them, like covering the whole base in smoke nades and clogging every thing, smoke nades ARE A NO GO!

ssams
March 22, 2006, 10:14 pm
i think that how ling the smoke nade lasts depends on map like jet fuel on larger map longer smoke small map short smoke and maby use Q to trow smoke

ssams
March 22, 2006, 10:17 pm
i think incancery gernades would be cool like they wild flame for 5 second and no one could pass trou and they dont lag that much it works in amaricas army and no mader how many smoke gernads you trow in that game it dosent lag

shoover
April 7, 2006, 11:49 pm
types of grenades would be perfect if there wasnt lag, otherwise theyd say

"Omg you were in the smoke, it was a lucky shot"
"f-u, noob i was out of it, so stop [CENSORED]ing and stfu"

i can already see it...

tRaQs
April 8, 2006, 3:22 am
 Quote:Originally posted by shoovertypes of grenades would be perfect if there wasnt lag, otherwise theyd say

"Omg you were in the smoke, it was a lucky shot"
"f-u, noob i was out of it, so stop [CENSORED]ing and stfu"

i can already see it...

Yeah, but people find anything to whine about now.

I think it may be difficult to code in, because the nade, in a sense, would have to "know" that it works in enclosed spaces only, and better concetration in smaller spaces.

As for the lag, it would probably do that, especially if they spammed the smoke nades all at once, but I guess that could just be an added effect if anything.

I don't think they should be smoke nades, but flash-bang nades. The smoke nades would be too easy to react too in my opinion, and if you think about it, the flash bangs would not only be instant, but make the screen go white for a good period of time, depending on where the nade is used, make them go deaf and have the ringing sound, also depending on where it is used.

I can imagine the noobies now, they'd see an enemie out in the open and chuck it for no aparent reason, and say something like "omfg des pwr up suxs!!!"

a-4-year-old
April 8, 2006, 2:02 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by NutsWhy it would make any lag?

Lets just use random, and let the smoke spread! If the nade will blow up in same place with every player, the smoke will look same with every player, even when you use random, (so we need only to give a seed to the random generator everytime when you drop gas grenade).

AND I LIKE.. NO I LOVE THIS IDEA! I already suggested this to Michal years ago... but nothing happened :(

you have 2 options:
lag from hardtohack polygon like smoke
edited graphics so they arent even there :O

:O i wonder why

HYPERFUNKBOT
April 8, 2006, 2:45 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-old Quote:Originally posted by NutsWhy it would make any lag?

you have 2 options:
lag from hardtohack polygon like smoke
edited graphics so they arent even there :O

:O i wonder why

You could have edited graphics for anything. Someone could make huge gun graphics you can see outside of the smoke. You support custom Gosteks, no? People could make custom gosteks that look like scenery, much the same issue involved there.

a-4-year-old
April 8, 2006, 11:05 pm
it isnt like you can just turn off smoke grinades.

and i wouldnt mind the "stink bomb" mods and the little script kiddies would not be able to figure it out anyway.

see option one.

oh, and in custom gostecs, someone talked about a skeleton that is uneditable, so when they made invisible gosteks, you would see a skeleton.

shoover
April 13, 2006, 12:14 am
rofl Traqs, that is true. And 4 year old is also right, smoke grenades could be a problem. Stink bombs, when was the last time smell affected gameplay?

BooBoo McBad
April 14, 2006, 3:48 am
It could knock you out =P

UltraMagnus
April 15, 2006, 9:05 am
why not just make them a secondary?

Deadeye Rob
April 15, 2006, 2:06 pm
Personally i would agree with this idea, i thought smoke grenades would be good, so long as they dont go out of control! it wouldnt be good to block the whole screen.

However it would open the door ways to new and interresting levels. For example, attempting to neutralise a Station gun in the open with no cover is almost suicidal. A smoke grenade would really turn the tables a bit! Good idea!

BooBoo McBad
April 16, 2006, 3:32 am
 Quote:Originally posted by UltraMagnuswhy not just make them a secondary?

Go into a ctf/inf game with six players a side, and imagine them all using flash bangs, then you will understand why. ;)

Da cHeeSeMaN
April 16, 2006, 8:30 am
why were at it lets have some lag grenades

NubX
April 18, 2006, 7:02 pm
There are not only smoke grenates a flash i think could be awsome too ..you throw it and some seconds all dazzled guys cant see anything and here a tinitus! XD

MFG NubX

Pr0digy
April 21, 2006, 2:37 am
 Quote:Originally posted by PsychoI only approve if the smoke is green and its called fartbang

well said, well said

Raithah
April 21, 2006, 6:21 pm
I don't quite think it's a good idea, mainly because in Real mode, people wouldn't be able to tell enemy from ally. I know that's the point, but this isn't real life. POing your entire team because you shot them all is wrong. It's a game people, made to have fun with. Plus, for the smoke to really be realistic, you'd have to make it affcted by gravity (e.g. not making clouds in the sky).

Dev
April 27, 2006, 6:00 pm
You know wearhouse? Throwing those into the top, and the whole thing just smokes up.....

:o IDEA

Bullet-Proof Glass windows on maps?

If someone chucks a smoke gernade into the wearhouse, you could just open the window (Use key?) and the smoke would flush out the window? Doors?

jettlarue
May 2, 2006, 11:18 pm
ask enesce about flashbangs....:) and for smoke bombs, if we could control some more aspecs of the weapon it could just be a mod.

Deleted User
May 3, 2006, 6:10 pm
Wouldn't work.... The smoke could be edited out with transparent color.

Da cHeeSeMaN
May 3, 2006, 6:17 pm
NOOOOO

PixelNinja
May 4, 2006, 11:55 pm
This would be insanely pointless, anyone with a brain would just shoot at the smoke and get an easy kill.