( search forums )
U13 charity run! (get yourself a custom rank)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra`
January 17, 2006, 2:00 pm

Ello peeps.

As some of you may be aware, www.u13.net is currently not working. Go on, click it...I dare ya.

As you should well know, the U13 servers have provided many players with a decent and communial place to play, with alot of effort put into it.

Well right now, our dear boy FliesLikeABrick (creator of U13) has dropped his temp job to get back into college, and is having a few hardware issues right now. More information here: http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=30995

So, because money makes the world go round, to preserve the future of U13 we're gonna help him out!
Donate a minimum of $10 to U13 and you'll get a custom rank title!

If you have paypal, it's a very simple matter. Simply paypal the amount to rawdomg@optonline.net , making sure to mention it's a U13 donation and your [forum] name in the email subject/info. 'Bricks will then tell me who's donated, and from there i'll contact you and we'll work out a custom rank title for you :)

If you live in the states with no paypal and would prefer to post the cash, bank transfer or by some other means, get in contact with the big guy himself at www.u13.net .

Otherwise, paypal it. S'free to register (last I recall) and all you need is a bank account or credit card. www.paypal.com

Deleted User
January 17, 2006, 6:16 pm
Lol do you think people would give money for a custom rank? -_-

anyways, Hopefully I can send some $$$ soon. Gotta give back to flies for all hes done.

Outcast
January 17, 2006, 6:50 pm
I would, but I need the money for weed & alco.

Chakra`
January 17, 2006, 6:54 pm
It ain't 'really' for the custom rank. The rank thing is just an ....'incentive'. 'Course what we're really doing is helping our pal Bricks, ain't it.

Ender
January 17, 2006, 7:22 pm
Is it a good thing to finance a private fansite with money from official forums? No.

b00stA
January 17, 2006, 7:32 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by EnderIs it a good thing to finance a private fansite with money from official forums? No.

You don't have to do it, now do you?
I'm sure Michal appreciates Flies' work too, so there's no problem at all.

Ok
January 17, 2006, 7:32 pm
I personaly don't like U13, haven't played on it much. (My ping isn't all that much in there, me being on the other side of the world and all)
But it has been working round the clock for quite sometime, and bricks have been working his ass off making a nice place that have been a huge success and brought alot of ppl hours that eventualy amounts to days of fun.

Don't think you're giving him money to pay him back, just know that you'll be helping it to get up on its feet!

I'm pretty sure that if every U13 player will give just 1$ it will be enough, but we all know its not going to happen, so comeon!

.alex.oner.
January 17, 2006, 7:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by OutcastI would, but I need the money for weed & alco.

johnny! we have a winnar!

FliesLikeABrick
January 17, 2006, 7:38 pm
Thanks to chakra for doing this, I woke up this morning and found him talking about it on IRC.

For all of you that don't think people donate, they do. I've gotten somewhere between $400 and $500 in donations over the past couple years, which has helped me pay for various server upgrades and costs (the 2GB RAM and assorted other stuff).

Chakra cooked this up, and if it causes forum controversy I don't want him to pursue it. Thanks for looking out for U13 chakra, the thought will last even if the actual functionality of this doesn't.

Ender
January 17, 2006, 7:40 pm
I have no problem with people donating money to u13, i would probably do it myself if i wasn't such a cheapass [CENSORED]head that didn't even pay for soldat. The problem is that this is the official forums, and u13 is just a private fansite. There are other sites that also do a lot for the community, selfkill, tnl, soldat2d, soldat.eu.org, soldat.com.br etc.. Are you paying them aswell if they have problems? Or only the admins that you know and are friends with?

And what about MM, he pays to keep this forums up, but when you're making money as a forum by selling titles the money goes to a fansite first.

These forums aren't yours, you are just managing these forums for MM, you can't decide all by yourself to start making money out of it, and decide where the money should go.

Chakra`
January 17, 2006, 7:52 pm
Hmm...see your point guv. Still, lets not consider things quite so seriously and look on the bright side...

It's really nowt more than helping out someone, whom we love, who provides and helps alot in this community.
If those other sites wanted something like this, they're perfectly entitled to ask and i'd be more than obliged to help. After all, it's all towards making our little game of Soldat more prosperous...surely something MM couldn't find objection to?

Incidently, thanks for reminding me. Been meaning to ask if Michal needs help with the hosting costs, or even paying for a new and better host myself altogether.

peemonkey
January 17, 2006, 7:56 pm
If I ever get paypal, you'll be the 2nd person to get my small amount of cash. First up is MM of course, I'm still not registered :D

Ender
January 17, 2006, 7:56 pm
I know your intentions are good but you can't do this for each private soldat project so it's better to do it for none, to keep things fair and all.
If you ask Michal he would probably not object because he's a good chap and all and he probably does not care too much but he would never have started something like this himself.

Just keep a thread about the charity run up in the forums or something, i'm sure enough people will contribute if they know about it without needing a forum title in return.

Chakra`
January 17, 2006, 8:10 pm
...why not for all? :)

Besides u13 is hardly a 'private project'. It's a fairly public communal thing. Practically essential (or at least highly missed if gone) to a fair amount, not including 1000-and-more registered users. Was also a valuable service during the past few beta-testings, and there really ain't any other server around with as much dedication and effort put into it ....surely warrants a bit of respect from the likes of us, eh?

Anyhow, 'nuff of this bickering. S'all just a bit of fun for a good cause guv.

DePhille
January 17, 2006, 8:26 pm
Flies, I owe ya alot.
If you need I can grant you access to my webhost and host your site there , contact me for that.
As for any other related issue spam my mail: DePhille@gmail.com and I'll be there.
I can't donate money , I'm not 18 :(.

Grtz , DePhille

The Geologist
January 17, 2006, 8:34 pm
I'm putting some cash in my account later this afternoon or tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I still have a paypal account, so I'll donate as soon as I can.

Deleted User
January 17, 2006, 9:05 pm
I travelled back in time and told my past-self to donate money. He listened and contributed to U13, what a nice guy.

Custom title now please.

N1nj@
January 17, 2006, 9:19 pm
good luck brick, hope everything works out

FliesLikeABrick
January 17, 2006, 10:23 pm
Ender, it makes sense what you're saying, so perhaps lets open this donation thing up to all fan sites, maybe Chakra would like to give a custom title to anyone who provides a valid community site with a donation of $X or more.

reckon
January 17, 2006, 10:36 pm
I dont have the means to set up a paypal account.
Flies, if you PM me with shipping details, Ill be more than happy to donate 10 dollars.

Cookie.
January 17, 2006, 10:57 pm
Question... do I get to pick my own custom title or do you decide for me?

Either way can someone help me think of a custom title for when I donate? :D

-=Edit=-

I just donated 10 dollars :D Put this money to good use Flies! :)
What are the possibilities for the custom title, can there be any colours or is there a limit on length?

If it is just plain text I think I will take the title:
Monster.

Please and thank you... unless you can think of somethign better of course :)

Edit
Actually I would like this for my custom title please :)
(>^_^)> <(^_^)> <(^_^<)

Soulsnipa
January 17, 2006, 11:35 pm
pssh i already got my CUSTOM title..hmmpph..

On topic...I'm not too sure I will agree with Ender in the sense that U13 has been around for about 2 years. Most of these other fan sites like selfkill provide servers but they surely arent as popular. I believe everyone on here can relate to U13, but selfkill is more for the europeans and have their own community to which they can get donations. Leo's servers have only been around for a short time, so I like to believe U13 to be the daddy of stats servers. There are different situations I believe that U13 has that allows this situation to be ok. Am I wrong?

Deleted User
January 17, 2006, 11:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by reckonI dont have the means to set up a paypal account.
Flies, if you PM me with shipping details, Ill be more than happy to donate 10 dollars.

Ditto. I'd be more than happy to donate.

FliesLikeABrick
January 17, 2006, 11:59 pm
k, I sent a PM to both of you guys.

For anyone else who wants to donate, a PM really isn't necessary... my personal information is all over the interent and already publicly available in the ICANN internet domain registry, so:

Ryan Rawdon
43 Eagle Street
Troy, NY 12180

Please include your forums username amd the custom title you would like, so I can pass that information on to the necessary higher power

edit:

I've recieved donations so far from:
Cookie. - $10
GluLm - $25
Sticky - $10.01

i'll update this post to reflect the others as they happen

GluLm
January 18, 2006, 1:51 am
Oh well... >_>
While I'm at it I think I should buy a new licence key from MM too.
Good luck flab.
(btw as I'm against elitism I don't want the title whatever. I decided some time ago to help u13 in some way so... just in time I guess).

Deleted User
January 18, 2006, 3:34 am
Do you accept credit card ^_^

Captain Ben
January 18, 2006, 3:47 am
I've got a bank account with AU$3.19 in it and an American dollar that has been in my wallet for two years...

FliesLikeABrick
January 18, 2006, 4:44 am
yeah enesce, you can send via paypal with a credit card np

Vijchtidoodah
January 18, 2006, 5:06 am
Flies, I wish you the best of luck in procuring all the money you need, but I'm sorry that I can't donate myself. Paypal doesn't have an option for 'human' as currency.

Soulsnipa
January 18, 2006, 5:58 am
I cant really offer an money even though I should...however I promise that your personal information will be safe because I got your back if anyone tries to come after you... :P

Chakra`
January 18, 2006, 4:45 pm
Alright Cookie, GluLm, pm me what you want for a custom title. And Cookie, i'll look into seeing if colours or bolds and other freaky crap can be added...i'll let ya know.

edit: hmm ...sorry Cooks, no colours or other html codes.

Cookie.
January 18, 2006, 7:40 pm
Drat... thanks for trying Chakra... I sent you a PM with a title I would like to try... until you read it I will enjoy being known as Mr. Brown
lol

?
January 18, 2006, 7:45 pm
Well if I get my walmart job Ill donate after my first paycheck, but right now I need every penny I earn

Cookie.
January 18, 2006, 9:39 pm
Actually change of mind chakra... I want to have it as I.R. Baboon

a-4-year-old
January 18, 2006, 11:44 pm
Yet another reason for me to get a job.

*puts on list of things to buy*
*puts on list of things to mooch money for*

*List o' things to buy*
Regester (support) soldat.
Buy more soap. (gotta have my soap)
Get a new Custom Rank

*list o' things to mooch money for*
soap
doughnuts
soldat
more soap (the liquid kind)
deoderant
Custom Rank

BTW how long will this be running, i need some time to "move some funds around"

January 19, 2006, 1:23 am
Bonated.

rabidhamster
January 19, 2006, 3:14 am
hi everyone!

i just stopped by the forums to see how everything was doing. i'll donate 30 bucks or so.

i would like the title of Kartenzeichner.

FliesLikeABrick
January 19, 2006, 3:31 am
got the donation from sticky, $10.01

thanks rabid, I look forward to it

m00`
January 19, 2006, 3:34 am
wow good luck flies, I would donate if I could o.0

The Geologist
January 19, 2006, 3:51 am
Alright, I hit up the bank today and I've got 20 for ya when I donate (which shall be soon :p). As for a name...I'm still thinking. Possibly Tender Vittles, or Lord of the Rocks..

Vijchtidoodah
January 19, 2006, 4:48 am
How about "Cleavage Lover Extraordinaire"?

The Geologist
January 19, 2006, 5:07 am
Oooohh..nice one. If that will fit, I might opt for that...I gotta think more..and focus on homework >.<

Ebby
January 19, 2006, 5:50 am
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahHow about "Cleavage Lover Extraordinaire"?

Oh my. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of members had that title. >.>

I'll be sure to donate, just give me a few days. Need to get some more money in the bank. :o

Deleted User
January 19, 2006, 12:12 pm
I dont have any money, do ya think flies would mind if i sent him some canned goods :P, id get the title "just another cheap [CENSORED]". but unfortunatly i cant donate at the moment. sorry mate, next time.

Cookie.
January 19, 2006, 10:20 pm
someone else get I Am Weasel! and we can be good friends :D

Deleted User
January 19, 2006, 11:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by EnderI know your intentions are good but you can't do this for each private soldat project so it's better to do it for none, to keep things fair and all.
If you ask Michal he would probably not object because he's a good chap and all and he probably does not care too much but he would never have started something like this himself.

Just keep a thread about the charity run up in the forums or something, i'm sure enough people will contribute if they know about it without needing a forum title in return.

Dude, go away. You're trying to point out a problem with something thats perfectly fine. As chakra said, if any other community is having financial problems and needs a helping hand, im sure wed give it to them. But for now, u13 could use a bit of help, i see no problem with that at all.

Unfortanately flab, I have no way of getting money out to you. Would if I could honestly, but im not even registered on Soldat yet....nor do I have the things ive wanted via internet. I hope you get help though, U13 has always been my favorite pub/priv, especially when I was a young newbie stat [CENSORED]. :D For now, I gotta fix this damnable computer with its keyboard problems. (Typing this with On Screen Keyboard is a pain. X.x)

Anyways, my apologies for that little aggro comment. Had to add in my 2bits, kind of annoyed me that someone ould put this down.

GAMEOVER
January 20, 2006, 1:44 am
Sorry flab, moneys tight with me right now or id send you over some cash for sure when I get in a better situation ill deff help out what I can.

Chakra`
January 20, 2006, 10:36 am
Well thats my donation ...think I deserve a custom title for me new position. :)

Deleted User
January 20, 2006, 10:43 am
No offence, but your new title is crap :(

Bloody paypal take 3-4 days for it to send >:|

Chakra`
January 20, 2006, 10:47 am
Got a better one? I was thinking practical, yet something true to my nature.

Captain Ben
January 20, 2006, 1:53 pm
Harmonic Backup?
The Real Joe Cocker?
Does it have to be $10 in american currency? IF not, I'd happily mail fifteen/twenty kina.

FliesLikeABrick
January 20, 2006, 2:06 pm
mailing me cash in other currencies is useless :-/

DeMonIc
January 20, 2006, 2:13 pm
Barry Mctard!

'tis a sad thing that I'm under 18, don't have a credit card, and live in a place where PayPal does not exist (according to my knowladge that is. ) However actions such as this are the ones that make a community better and better.

Yukwunhang
January 20, 2006, 2:50 pm
'[CENSORED]' fits you the most.

The Geologist
January 20, 2006, 5:19 pm
:(

The bank lost my deposit. Luckily I had my receipt so I could prove they took my money, but I almost got shafted. Sorry for the delay, should be donating soon.

DeLarge
January 20, 2006, 9:37 pm
Not to sound like an outsider, but this is far-fetched. How did Chakra` got the high rank for an administrator? It's for convenience over friends. I tell you the system is 'rigged.'

Soulsnipa
January 20, 2006, 9:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Got a better one? I was thinking practical, yet something true to my nature.

ur not the first admin ur the third...dna was first.

Chakra`
January 20, 2006, 9:52 pm
Squint while reading my title just a little harder Soulsnipa..

FliesLikeABrick
January 20, 2006, 9:57 pm
thanks to chakra and s4r for their donations

Chakra`
January 20, 2006, 10:18 pm
Anytime luv. s4r, and whoever else ain't said yet, pm me with what you want for a title.

Soulsnipa
January 20, 2006, 10:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`Squint while reading my title just a little harder Soulsnipa..

it was a haha funny joke

The Geologist
January 20, 2006, 10:43 pm
Alright...you have $20 floatin' your way my good man.

Now to think of a good title..so far there's "Tender Vittles", "Lord of the Rocks", and "Cleavage lover extraordinaire". Anyone got any others they think might work>

FliesLikeABrick
January 20, 2006, 10:43 pm
When U13 is back up (should be next weekend if things turn out right), I will update the donations page to reflect all these donations

a-4-year-old
January 20, 2006, 11:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistAlright...you have $20 floatin' your way my good man.

Now to think of a good title..so far there's "Tender Vittles", "Lord of the Rocks", and "Cleavage lover extraordinaire". Anyone got any others they think might work>

Geologists rock? hmmm, must come up with stupid puns for ideas for others.

XenocidE
January 20, 2006, 11:32 pm
Well, I started a PayPal account just for this reason. After I get a Confirmation through the bank I will send you some dough. (this time i actually mean it)

DeLarge
January 21, 2006, 12:02 am
Here comes the exaggeration! Sometimes it's free to fix a server.

Chakra`
January 21, 2006, 12:28 am
...eh?

exaggeration of ...what?

Deleted User
January 21, 2006, 2:20 am
I choose 'Orgasm Donor' xD

LazehBoi
January 21, 2006, 3:24 am
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistAlright...you have $20 floatin' your way my good man.

How about "Rock Artist"!?

Deleted User
January 21, 2006, 6:50 am
*Donated*

Captain Ben
January 21, 2006, 11:49 am
U r0c1< /\/\Y \/\/012l1)?
I think that wouls suit Geologist just fine.

FliesLikeABrick
January 22, 2006, 12:04 am
I go to school in Troy (RPI) but I'm originally from downstate about an hour and a half in Poughkeepsie.

bond, that may be very possible, except I wouldn't want you mailing cash. I'll look into it.

edit: I'm in the clear money-wise, this thread could be turned to more deserving causes now, or closed.

UGK
January 22, 2006, 12:28 am
Wait If I paid $15 I can have the Custom Rank Like FuRrY G1mP or something like that? That would Be awesome....FuRrY G1mP...mmm

Captain Ben
January 22, 2006, 2:13 am
Ah well, I can always mail an awesome picture to you :D

bond_james_bond
January 22, 2006, 2:39 am
If you don't want me sending cash, I don't think I can donate then... =(

FliesLikeABrick
January 24, 2006, 12:38 am
thank you to rabidhamster for his $35... nice job on the envelope

The Geologist
January 24, 2006, 3:16 am
:( You get my donation yet?

Deleted User
January 24, 2006, 3:19 am
$10 is more than it cost for a reg key for the game.

Chakra`
January 24, 2006, 3:20 am
it's more than the price of leg wax you hairy [CENSORED]!

edit: first warning. Don't insult others in the forums. -Brick

El Transit
January 24, 2006, 3:43 am
*Donatez0red*

Soulsnipa
January 24, 2006, 8:11 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra`it's more than the price of leg wax you hairy [CENSORED]!

edit: first warning. Don't insult others in the forums. -Brick

Chakra quick quick!

Ban Chakra!

FliesLikeABrick
January 25, 2006, 2:15 am
Got donations from Transit and Enesce <3

edit: also K9joy and geologist

Chakra`
January 25, 2006, 2:22 am
lovely lovely. You guys know what to do. PM me with your custom title and i'll take it from there.

Ok
January 25, 2006, 3:31 am
10$ ey.. lets see, that's around 55NIS which can buy me a nice hooker.
Its also a family sized pizza with everything on it and drinks.
Its also, erm a six pack of carlsberg beer!

Some Statistics

Now if I would to play in U13 servers regulary..
That would be around 1 hour per day on average for the average soldat player right..
So that's what? 30 hours per months? if I'm playing soldat over a year , that would be around 360 hours per year.

Lets devide it by 2, just incase someone disagrees with me with the 1 hour per day average.
That would be 30 minutes per day average, so that's 180 hours per year.

So we have 180 hours for a year of playing soldat.

Now lets go back , I can buy the six pack.. get totaly pissed and drunk.
Then go waste the same amount on a hooker.. probably choose the ugliest one, get off after I dunno.. 20 minutes tops?
Then go home, go to sleep, wake up in the morning with a huge hangover.. the smell of dead fish and a very aweful feeling of being cheap and pathetic.

Conclusion

I would take the 180-360 hours of playing soldat yea.. sounds like a really good bargin if u ask me.
PAY THE 10$! its good for you!!

Cover up
For the record, I have never been nor am I planning to be with a hooker (Didn't even go for those amsterdam hotties...)
This was a pure demonstration taken out of facts from my friend's expiriences :)

^_^

FliesLikeABrick
January 25, 2006, 3:48 am
thanks Ok, and I thought you didn't like me :P

I will never turn down a donation, and I greatly appreciate all of the support from these forums. Between what you all miss as the "Good old U13" (which will be back soon) and the new server I'm working on getting up... U13 is entering a whole new age within the next month (more and more stuff keeps going wrong.)

U13 should be back online this weekend, and the new servers should be online within a couple weeks (something major went wrong with the server, I'm starting work on it now... It is going to take 2-3 weeks to get it working. Troubleshooting is very, very hard when the server is 800 miles or so away from you :P)

Chakra and many others can attest to how good the new servers are (since they did play on them before the problems became apparent)

Chakra being overseas got 100ms ping or so, on my american server :P I plan to run 5-10 new servers, starting over the months following the server computer being back online. Look for a thread in the advert forum to know when its online and good.

Deleted User
January 25, 2006, 5:52 am
wheres my title :(

Soulsnipa
January 25, 2006, 6:09 am
quote:Originally posted by Ok10$ ey.. lets see, that's around 55NIS which can buy me a nice hooker.
Its also a family sized pizza with everything on it and drinks.
Its also, erm a six pack of carlsberg beer!

Some Statistics

Now if I would to play in U13 servers regulary..
That would be around 1 hour per day on average for the average soldat player right..
So that's what? 30 hours per months? if I'm playing soldat over a year , that would be around 360 hours per year.

Lets devide it by 2, just incase someone disagrees with me with the 1 hour per day average.
That would be 30 minutes per day average, so that's 180 hours per year.

So we have 180 hours for a year of playing soldat.

Now lets go back , I can buy the six pack.. get totaly pissed and drunk.
Then go waste the same amount on a hooker.. probably choose the ugliest one, get off after I dunno.. 20 minutes tops?
Then go home, go to sleep, wake up in the morning with a huge hangover.. the smell of dead fish and a very aweful feeling of being cheap and pathetic.

Conclusion

I would take the 180-360 hours of playing soldat yea.. sounds like a really good bargin if u ask me.
PAY THE 10$! its good for you!!

Cover up
For the record, I have never been nor am I planning to be with a hooker (Didn't even go for those amsterdam hotties...)
This was a pure demonstration taken out of facts from my friend's expiriences :)

^_^

1 hour per day would simply be 364.25 hours a year.

FliesLikeABrick
January 25, 2006, 6:48 am
... or 365.25

Ok
January 26, 2006, 12:35 am
I said around 360..
Just to make it round and nice so I can devide it to half and get a nice number that everyone knows.
You guys know nothing about advertising! <_<

And just for the record.
There are exactly 365.2422 days per year.

Which gives you even more hours for those 10$ innit.
This deal just keeps getting better and better!!! :D

FliesLikeABrick
February 3, 2006, 1:15 am
http://dyn.u13.net:6080/index.php?p=donations

Now that U13 is back up, I updated the donations page to reflect the donations I recieved. Please let me know if I missed anyone. As you can see, this was a very helpful little fundraiser that Chakra did, and every penny of it is going to good use helping me get U13 back online and get the new server up and running (the chicago servers, I'm having major problems with them).

Thanks to Xenocide for donating 2 days ago. He has been a long time U13 regular and a great person to talk to :P

Chakra`
February 3, 2006, 1:34 am
Can I get a hoo-yah.... oh yeahhhh.

As a reminder, anyone who's donated and ain't got their custom rank and still wants one, just pm me anytime about it, alright?

Maka
February 3, 2006, 1:52 am
Hey, where's a pic of Rabidhamster's leet envelope? A couple weeks ago on AIM, he said he duct-taped and sticky-taped it until it submitted to his sadistic behavior. If you haven't thrown it out yet, pic please!!

Ok
February 3, 2006, 1:51 pm
Holllllllyyyy [CENSORED]!
Chakra donated 50$!!!! that's like 1 and a half fleshlights!!!!!!!!
And to think, he's european ^_^

I'm not even talking about that guy FoZ who donated 150$!
How nice ^_^

FliesLikeABrick
February 3, 2006, 2:04 pm
yeah, Foz and all of the ones below him are old donations that i've gotten over the past 2 years. He donated that much because I've been hosting his websites and development projects for a long time, so he felt like giving something back

Soulsnipa
February 3, 2006, 2:26 pm
Thanks to chakra U13 has 250.03 so far and 687.02 total