( search forums )
Switchin server is a no go!
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
Stealth870
January 19, 2006, 2:26 pm
All right, I had a fine server workin on my mom's linux machine. But my dad brought home some older machine from work that I decided to have as a completely dedicated server. SO I thought it would be as easy as copying the soldat folder over to this machine (also running Linux) but it's giving me problems.

First it didn't work right off the bat, I had to do:
chmod +x soldaserver

Which I guess is normal as it was transferred to another computer. I then switched the ports on my router to forawrd to this machine instead of my mom's. That works fine, now the problem.

I am able to join, and so are my online friends, but after about 5 seconds of being able to move, choose your weapon, or whatever, everything suddenly stops and I get a Connection problem. The server doesn't spit out any errors, its only the people who connect fine, then lose it after 5 seconds. I then tried a fresh new soldat server install and same problem. So why is it doing this?

Stealth870
January 20, 2006, 2:19 pm
Also, after it goes down, when you rejoin, you spawn with a connection problem, this time there is no delay (which is about 4 seconds)

Denacke
January 21, 2006, 6:06 pm
Seeing as you had to chmod your soldatserver, perhaps you have to chmod other files that need to be written to as well? e.g. logs folder and bans.txt.

edit: If you really don't get out of it, a clean reinstall would be the quickest solution.

Stealth870
January 21, 2006, 7:25 pm
K, i'll try it, but as I said, I d/l'd a fresh new one and it didn't work either. But, I also had to chmod that one, so I guess I'll chmod the rest of the stuff...

Stealth870
January 22, 2006, 3:38 am
Nothing, I even tried on another computer and it worked perfectly off the bat, I even reformatted the machine and it still won't work. This sucks -.-

Stealth870
March 4, 2006, 10:41 pm
No one else has had this problem? Would the actual computer's components cause the server to not work?

Mothafix
March 4, 2006, 10:53 pm
Use an edit button.. This is not a chatroom. ^^

mar77a
March 5, 2006, 1:23 am
Oh snap.

If you reformatted the comp and it still didnt work, then it has to be te only thing that you dont change when you format your comp: your network connection/layout?

Id check the router or the connect settings, dunno.

Stealth870
March 7, 2006, 2:21 pm
Yea I know Mothafix, but you get desperate when no one responds and this topic had disappeared...-.-

BTW I fixed it. Turns out it was the NIC card. I don't know why as FTPing or using SSH on the server worked fine, but apparently Soldat didn't like the old NIC. Finally I can have my server up 24/7 ^_^