( search forums )
Mapping contest II, round 2: Voting (revived)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
The Geologist
January 19, 2006, 8:57 pm
Alright...since this contest fizzled out in the mapping forum, the idea was raised that bringing this topic back to the top of the forums list might get it going again. I'm hoping this one goes better. Since there were so few people to actually vote correctly in the last topic..just vote again. Rules are explained below...follow them correctly. You'll be warned if you don't, and if you fail to change your vote to vote correctly, your vote goes bye-bye.

The Rules
* Voting is based off a combination Demonics and Dezonus' ideas. Vote on your four favorite maps as follows: 1 point = 1st, 2 points = 2nd, 3 points = 3rd, 4 points = 4th. Maps that aren't voted on get five points. The map with the fewest points is the winner.

*Categories are looks, gameplay, and overall appeal just like the first round.

Example:
Looks: 1)htf_momus, 2)htf_bogged, 3)htf_dogabah, 4)htf_Pondious
Gameplay 1) htf_muck 2)htf_momus 3) htf_bogged 4) htf_ moor
Overall 1)...4)

1) gets one point, 2) gets two points, and so on. Just like the first round of mapping. Vote like this for all three categories and we'll be golden.

* Failure to vote properly or correct a vote when notified will result in your vote being ignored*
*Vote for your four favorite maps. No less, no more.
*No voting for your own maps
*Waypoints or a lackthere of are not a consideration for judging

I believe that's all...although I reserve the right to edit those rules as the contest dictates. Anyhow, let's get down to the contestants:

grand diablo - htf Moor - http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=29263

The Geologist - htf Muck - http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=29273

Dezonus - htf Swampy - http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=29321

Soulsnipa - htf Dagobah - http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=29324

OutofOrder - htf dangerous - http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=29341

rainrider - htf sumpf - http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=29327

Sgt. Beaver - htf Pondious - http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=29377

rabidhamster - htf momus - http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=29271

semagae - htf bogged - http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=29494

Officer Bulbock - htf Hellbound - http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=29386

I've been unable to contact someone about getting a server up for a contest map rotation, but with the weekend coming up I'll try and change that. Map on!

Keron Cyst
January 20, 2006, 12:35 am
Looks: 1) htf_Sumpf 2) htf_Muck 3) htf_ Moor
Gameplay: 1) htf_Muck 2) htf_Moor 3) htf_Sumpf
Ovwerall: 1) htf_Muck 2) htf_Moor 3) htf_Sumpf

htf_Moor: +7
htf_Sumpf: +7

Those are the only maps I've played on in this comp. (and no I don't feel like playing any more :-P) so I only have 3 instead of 4.

Pulp
January 20, 2006, 12:57 am
Links in Dezonus' topic aren't working.

Not played any of those, but basing my opinion on the screenshots, most mapmakers were quite lacking in inspiration while making those maps... Didn't saw any maps with an innovative gameplay or look ( was there a nature-theme ? ), mediocraty seems to be the norm. Saw a lot of better maps, recently, from mapmakers not participating in this contest.

Anyway... hopefully they play well ...

Deleted User
January 20, 2006, 1:43 am
gameplay: 1) htf_dogabah 2) htf_momus 3) htf_moor 4) htf_Pondious
looks: 1)htf moor 2)htf momus 3)htf dogabah 4) htf pondious
overall 1)momus 2)moor 3)dogabah 4)pondious

The Geologist
January 20, 2006, 3:09 am
quote:Originally posted by PulpLinks in Dezonus' topic aren't working.

Not played any of those, but basing my opinion on the screenshots, most mapmakers were quite lacking in inspiration while making those maps... Didn't saw any maps with an innovative gameplay or look ( was there a nature-theme ? ), mediocraty seems to be the norm. Saw a lot of better maps, recently, from mapmakers not participating in this contest.

This is a themed mapping contest. The theme was "swampy", dark, wet, etc...along those lines. These maps are old. Just votes please.

GluLm
January 20, 2006, 12:00 pm
I think the same way as Soulsnipa, it's too old now. And all these maps were good anyway. It's not useful anymore (not that it's ever been useful imo). Sticky can unsticky now. ;)

DeMonIc
January 20, 2006, 12:31 pm
I personally think you're both being negative. Every time we try to spice up the mapping scene, things die because the lot don't care and aren't being helpfull.

Looks: 1) htf_muck 2) htf_moor 3) htf_hellbound 4) htf_dagobah
Gameplay: 1) htf_moor 2) htf_muck 3) htf_dagobah 4) htf_hellbound
Overall: 1) htf_muck 2) htf_moor 3) htf_dagobah 4) htf_hellbound

Deleted User
January 20, 2006, 5:35 pm
Im having trouble downloading almost all of these maps.

swampy, dagobah, hellbound, and sumpfh all have links that are down. And muck brings me to a m00net page from where I cant figure out how to download the map. Can someone please reupload these maps so I can download them and play them before I vote.

Offtopic: If your going to continue doing these contests in the future, for the next one I would suggest small compact ctf maps(somewhere between ctf_death and ctf_Ash size). Theres not too many of those kinds of maps and many mapmakers I have noticed stay away from making maps that small.

OutofOrder
January 20, 2006, 6:37 pm
Looks 1)hellbound 2)momus 3)moor 4)dagobah
Gameplay 1)momus 2)moor 3)pondious 4)muck
Overall 1)momus 2)moor 3)hellbound 4)pondious

Originally, that was my voting.

DeMo
January 20, 2006, 6:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by PoopIm having trouble downloading almost all of these maps.

Yes, me too.
Some have broken links, there's at least one that leads me to a passworded forum and I've seen some with broken images too.

The Geologist
January 20, 2006, 9:56 pm
Well, I can't fix peoples broken links, so I'll try and PM the authors. I upload to m00net, so you have to have your pop up blocker turned off for the download to begin, if that's the case Poop.

Soulsnipa
January 20, 2006, 10:00 pm
1) I fixed my link for dagobah.

2) I'm not saying we should quit on projects like these, hell I think im one of the biggest victims of people giving up on me and sml. However people have already voiced their opinion...even less will come back and do something again, especially since the first one did not follow through after a few promises to count the votes.

3) As Ive suggested before I figured out sml ratings and it would be probably much easier to compile all the maps in the competition and have people rate them then counting everyones here.

4) I suggest a new contest with new theme and new maps.

The Geologist
January 20, 2006, 10:03 pm
Save the discussion for another time. Your points are old hat, the last contest didn't die out because of "not following through on promises to count votes", as you put it, but because people simply didn't participate. Things will be revamped once this round is officially over.

Just votes and link issues please.

Pulp
January 20, 2006, 11:25 pm
Just make the voting a bit more attractive, The Geologist, make a link with a voting poll ( + screenshots + scores so far ) or something. So actually a lot of ppl would take at least the little effort to vote ... otherwise it's always a few ppl voting, the odd old fashioned way ...

The Geologist
January 20, 2006, 11:49 pm
I don't have the means to put up a poll. I've already said that the voting process will be revamped for the next round, and with Souls help we should the means to do what you have in mind. The first round of voting went just fine, but I've had enough of people talking about the voting again and again. Even this topic is turning into more discussion than voting, people don't want this round...why bother changing this round when we can start things fresh with new maps, mappers, and voting style? This topic will probably get scraped the way things are going anyhoo..

Fair enough?

Pulp
January 21, 2006, 2:47 am
It's just to avoid discussions like above that a proper voting-system could come in handy. Less talking, more voting.

Anyway, start the voting !

Deleted User
January 21, 2006, 9:16 am
Looks : 1)momus 2)muck 3)Dagobah 4)Hellbound
Gameplay : 1)momus 2)moor 3)hellbound 4)muck
Overall : 1)momus 2)muck 3)sumpf 4)hellbound

Deleted User
January 22, 2006, 10:01 pm
Looks: 1)Hellbound 2) Dagobah 3) Moor 4) Muck
Gameplay: 1) Moor 2) Muck 3) Dagobah 4) Hellbound
Overall: 1) Moor 2) Muck 3) Dagobah 4) Hellbound

My comments:
Looks: Dagobah really is the swampiest of all the maps, nice dark green background with lots of foilage and rain. However I really dislike when those sceneries are placed somewhere in the middle of a polygon rather than right on a edge... it might make the overview look better but it looks crappy ingame. for Muck, it looks much better on the overview than it did ingame. I saw some light green polygons in game for some reason which I didnt see in the overview. Hellbound IMO looks the best out of all the maps, however I didnt even play it ingame since the download it broken. I just made a judgement from teh screens. Moor also looks pretty good but I didnt really feel too much swampiness in it.

Gameplay: Moor has the best gameplay for a HTF map. Lots of routes, a base area, extremely easy to get to the middle for a nice start. Good basically for any number of players. Muck is the second best in terms of gameplay, considering it has a good HTF format. But I think that its going to be too easy to defend the flag in a game on Muck. Dagobah on the other hand, I think would be too difficult to defend the flag when theres more than 6-8 people. Its too open and no real spots for flag carrier to stay except the top back of base. All the other maps are non-symmetrical which is bad for gameplay in HTF.

Maka
January 23, 2006, 4:31 pm
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Looks: 1)Hellbound 2)Dogobah 3)Momus 4)Dangerous
Gameplay: 1)Pondious 2)Momus 3)Moor 4)Hellbound
Over All: 1)Dangerous 2)Momus 3)Dogobah 4)Hellbound

Deleted User
January 24, 2006, 3:23 am
Are you guys still voting? Geez, I've been gone for ages, and I come back and your still voting. Wow.
quote:Links in Dezonus' topic aren't working.

Are you trying to make fun of me?