( search forums )
semi-survival mode
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
zyxstand
January 21, 2006, 3:52 pm
This is a new game mode option that can be applied to any game type.
Here's an example:
In a d.m game that is set to 5 players max, more than five players are allowed to join the game. The first five people will be actually playing the game while the others will be set as 'pending players' (or pp). As soon as one of these five people dies, he/she will become a pp and the regular spawn timer will begin for the next person on the list of pp's.

More specs: There could be a total maximum alloted players as server-side option (like five people at a time with a total of 10). It would be great for 'duel' servers where there can be only 2 people at a time wiht like 10 total and while these other 8 will be pp's, they can watch them duel. Great for switching of cyclically in ctf's and if enough people join, there won't be an 'unbalanced' issue anymore.

comments/suggestions plz

EDIT:
Chameleon: very useful for clan-matches to have a 3 v 3 with the teams being able to have more than more than three players - like if someone leaves, it wouldn't unbalance the teams!

person
January 21, 2006, 4:14 pm
That's pretty cool, I like it...

John O
January 21, 2006, 6:06 pm
ah, an oddmanout thing, eh? but 4 playing per team and 1 man out sounds neat. that many spectators wouldnt be to cool, but good idea.

on a side note, i thought your idea was to have a chosen number of lives for survival, so its not so much elimination. you could set the lives to 4 or 9 or 20 with a kill cap of 100.

Augustus
January 21, 2006, 7:25 pm
The pending players would have to have team chat disabled, to prevent cheating. Also, would require alot of coding, when you could just join a 1v1 league and spectate someone elses match and play winner to get the same effect.

DeLarge
January 21, 2006, 8:07 pm
The modes are fine the way they are. Next!

a-4-year-old
January 21, 2006, 9:43 pm
stfu delage

i was thinking like this, the server sets the max respawns until the round ends (1-infinate) 0 being infinate and the cap would be like 100 so ppl cant go like 99999999999999999999999999999999 in a tdm

zyxstand
January 21, 2006, 10:13 pm
hmm, i dunno exactly what you just said a4yo, could you rephrase it plz?

a-4-year-old
January 22, 2006, 12:47 am
ok fine:

server option to change amount of "respawns" you get.
when someone runs out of respawns they have to wait like in regular survival.

getitgotitgood.

zyxstand
January 22, 2006, 12:58 am
well, the point was to have a set number of people playing at any given time rather than being punished for dying too often. i'm not saying you have a bad idea it's just that it has a completely different point - go ahead and delete your comment and make a new topic if you wish.

a-4-year-old
January 22, 2006, 3:18 am
its not really "punishment" but more "oh noes i screwed up oh wait i got one more life."

and we where both talking about the gamemode so i thought id bring it up
lol 480 posts

bolhy
January 22, 2006, 6:33 am
zyxstand has 840 posts and u 480, lol
I like teh idea but i think it would be better
and more useful in teh tdm not in dm so but what's
wit the scores??

DeLarge
January 22, 2006, 7:25 am
quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldstfu delage

Your mind is like a four year-old. This idea isn't good for Soldat.

zyxstand
January 22, 2006, 5:52 pm
wow hold on a4yo - are you suggesting like a limited amount of 'lives' and for example in a teamdeathmatch, when all but one team die, the game is over and whoever has more points wins?
interesting idea - and i kinda like it - but i still think that it's a totally different concept than my idea.

Chameleon
January 22, 2006, 7:49 pm
what i think a4yo is suggesting, is basicly survival mode. but you get X number of lives. instead of just having 1 life. i think that would be funner and more challenging, and a great addition for the survival mode comunity. but this should probably be a different thread.

as for zyx's suggestion.
its like odd man out, and i think it would be pretty cool. could be kinda cool to use in clan wars too, like have a 3v3, but one team has 4 people. everyone would get to play. this would also be a great addition for soldat, IMO

Flying_Dutchman
January 22, 2006, 8:05 pm
A limited number of lives would also force people to be more carefull instead of just rushing in.

a-4-year-old
January 22, 2006, 8:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chameleonwhat i think a4yo is suggesting, is basicly survival mode. but you get X number of lives. instead of just having 1 life. i think that would be funner and more challenging, and a great addition for the survival mode comunity. but this should probably be a different thread.

yes exactly thank you.

delarge: you contributed nearly nothing to this whole topic. all you said in 2 posts (not letters) is that you do not like the idea, without any explanation/reason so shut the [CENSORED] up [CENSORED]

zyxstand
January 22, 2006, 11:30 pm
yes delarge, you're supposed to contribute to the soldat forums and post explanations and stuff.

Anyway:
quote:Originally posted by Flying_DutchmanA limited number of lives would also force people to be more carefull instead of just rushing in.

you're reasoning doesn't differntiate between the advantages of playing a4yo's 'survival mode with lives' and the current survival mode. Either way will you have to be careful not to rush.

Good idea Chameleon *added to thread*

a-4-year-old
January 23, 2006, 12:01 am
well now i cant make a new topic because so many ppl disscused it here.

Chameleon just clarified my idea.

Delarge is still a [CENSORED]

This idea still Rox!! great for clans and such

the only addition should be when you enter it should say in a very large font "SEMI-SURVIVAL ON" so that noobs wont go like WTF I WANA KILL!!!!!

just a random thought: htf sucks with survival on

zyxstand
January 23, 2006, 2:42 am
there should be some VERY small columns before the name of the server and such in the 'join game' menu titled 's', 'r', 'wm' (or just 'm'), and something else for my idea and a checkmark in it for simplicity. that would make everything SO much easier!

Chameleon
January 23, 2006, 3:49 am
uhh yea, they would have to say something like that. kind of like the notice that says "realistic mode on"
but just have a different name for it, other than semi-survival

zyxstand
January 23, 2006, 4:21 am
well, what i'm saying is that i no that they already have columns saying if it's dedicated, realistic, survival, bonuses, etc. - but they'd take too much work to see. isntead have a set of small thin columns at the beginning...

DeLarge
January 23, 2006, 7:36 am
quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-old
delarge: you contributed nearly nothing to this whole topic. all you said in 2 posts (not letters) is that you do not like the idea, without any explanation/reason so shut the [CENSORED] up [CENSORED]

I am contributing to the fact that this idea isn't going to be done. Common sense, idiot.

Deleted User
January 23, 2006, 8:31 am
@Delarge

You cant fly into a topic and say it sucks with no explanation, for it to be a truly contributing post.

@a-4-year-old

Grow up. Like cursing and ranting at DeLarge for one innocent post is really the best way to handle it.

@Topic

Im not sure about this idea. I seen it and thought it would be rather stupid, but it needs a different title. Regardless, its kind of interesting. As previously mentioned, if you had a crap load of players, itd be rather tedious and im sure people would prefer regular DM. Im just still bothsided. I think I like it more then I find it useless~

zyxstand
January 23, 2006, 10:36 pm
well therefore most servers should (and probably would) only give a +3 extra amount of people per team. that's not so bad in such a fast-paced game.

a-4-year-old
January 23, 2006, 10:49 pm
@ extacide he has done it more than once and always gets away with it.

the name could be substitution?

Deleted User
January 24, 2006, 12:00 pm
This is good to soldat actually delarge

jettlarue
January 27, 2006, 12:03 am
couldnt this be done server side? like it could do the calculations and set you to spectator when you die and change you back to your original team while remembering your stats. most things like this can be fixed be yerver side and do not require any more modes added by michal.