( search forums )
Fix Survival Mode
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Aegis
January 23, 2006, 3:30 am
There are a few problems with survival mode that have surfaced since the last changes.
1.Annoying self-kills at end of round:
Not only is it far more annoying to suddenly die for no reason instead of calmly respawning, it wrecks the idea of Survival mode and prevents flag caps in CTF. One of the greatest parts of RS play used to be parading back to your base with the enemy flag after eliminating them, though sometimes players would take too long. (Maybe it would just do default behavior if the flag isn't captured in the normal time where it would usually do the self-kills)

2.Double wait time
When the round is finished by eliminating the enemy team, occasionally there will be a 5 second 'End of Round' timer that counts down until the surviving players are all forced to self kill. Then theres a second 5 second wait after that until the new round when everyone respawns. If the self-kill were removed, the double wait times could be consolidated into one time and everyone simply respawns.

3. Flickering boxes/Bugged player counter
After you die, sometimes you see a blank, half-transparent box flickering at the top of the screen where it should list how many players are left. If the player counter is actually functioning correctly, then the amount is sometimes screwed up as well (Usually by one) But it's been awhile, so I can't confirm if this still a big problem.

CrazyKid980
January 23, 2006, 3:29 pm
1.) That's MEANT to be there, so you don't carry two primary weapons, or spawn camp, or when AFK'ers have to get the flag to end the round, or whatever the reason is. It doesn't even effect your score nethier.

2.) It's just easier that way.

3.) If it doesn't screw up my game, I'm alright with it.

Overall, I don't see ANY obvious problems that need to be deal with, survival mode IMO is just fine the way it is.

Koon
January 23, 2006, 5:05 pm
1.) I agree with CrazyKid

2.) A few seconds isn't going to kill you

3.) It's just a bug, it'll be fixed eventually

vash763
January 23, 2006, 8:04 pm
1) Makes sense. Especially since you can get 2 points, one for killing everyone, and one for cap.

2) Like toget rid of

3) Same

a-4-year-old
January 23, 2006, 8:24 pm
1 thats so some jerkoff, doesnt sit and /piss on every person
but we should get a bit more time to do some secret commands :)

but instead of YOU KILLED YOURSELF should be END OF ROUND just for survival.

2 same as everyone

3 it should be fixed, to make soldat look "profestional" but it really does not matter

Vijchtidoodah
January 23, 2006, 8:33 pm
Yeah, I always hated those suicides. Would've been a much better idea to just have everyone respawn when the flag was capped, but get to keep whatever weapons they looted.

And to make sure you didn't get those peeing people, there could still be a twenty second time limit, just to give that last person enough time to cross the map.

The flickering counter doesn't really bother me, but it would be nice to have it fixed.

thelag
January 24, 2006, 2:14 am
I prefer the game with spawn camping and keeping double primaries, it makes it more interesting, even if I'm not the wrong doing it. On the base level, what's so inherently wrong with spawn camping after a survival mode? It's your reward for winning the previous match, all it does is make the game more interesting. And it doesn't guarentee a win in the next round either..

Aegis
January 24, 2006, 4:01 am
While it's true everyone can live with these problems, I think it's important for a software developer to atleast maintain some efficiency and professionalism with his code. There are a lot of other problems just like this that really make the newer versions feel like Michal is just taking shortcuts to get them out rather than polishing things, to be honest.

Koon
January 24, 2006, 5:05 am
Look, All bugs will eventually get worked out, but not before a new version creates more bugs. That's the way its gonna be and as long as Michal keeps it from completely falling apart im fine with it.