( search forums )
CTF (DM RM PM) Pagan Charade
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Quality Maps
TeRRoRinFANt
January 26, 2006, 10:00 am
ctf_Charade :: Pagan Charade (Meet Thy Doom) ::
Compatible modes: DM, RM, PM, HTF
WAYPOINTS NEEDED! (There are waypoints for Bravo team, but they're not any good)

[IMAGE]

My fourth published map. This time a symmetrical design. The design itself was dreamt up by me one time, but in its initial form it was more like Elven pristine towers of Tir Annoc, or the like. In time the design was changed to a more sinister one. And then came the lovely elements inspired by the classic 'Doom': bodies on hanging chains (which in turn have been inspired by some of the gore movies, but that's a different story). Actually, making the bodies was quite fun, but tiresome. You will have noticed that the gosteks are not the standard Soldat gosteks (which I considered), but from the Special Ops mod2.0 by Field Marshal BM (which proved to be better fitting and cooler). I've also used XTender's trees and viggoloniggolo's pentagram. NASA has also had its contribution here - please check out the planets hanging in the sky.
There was a long test period to try and eliminate polybugs, but I'm afraid the towers are not completely polybug-free. Nevertheless, I'm rather satisfied with the results. Perhaps I am ignorant - if I am, do drop me a hint.
The central top point was meant to be a portal to a different dimension. Try if it works ;) Looks fun, I tell you. There are also two secret hiding places - check out the screenshots above for a look on the Alpha hiding place. Bravo is the same, just on their side. Ah, the bottom of that pit is a regenerator.
Speaking of bottoms... The bottom of the map is a lava pool... I'm not really sure if I conveyed the feeling of rushing lava, but you take care not to bathe in there.

As to the idea of reverse ctf itself... Well, the name - as you may have guessed - is a reflection of the fact that you have to switch the flags. I hope it proves to be a tonne of fun, though I'm afraid that due to the unconventionality of the design, people will look down on it. It is certainly far more demanding than a usual ctf, because your flagger needs to hold the flag, while the rest of the team secures the cap point. Ah, the spawns are in the air as well as on the ground, but... be nice and don't overdo the spawnkilling. I didn't want to include a collider wall or anything near the middle spawns, because I didn't want the flagger to have a safe place hiding among fellow teammates. Teammates, yes. Which brings me back to the idea behind this: T E A M W O R K.
And yes, I know what you are going to say ("OMFGZORS DARK!!!"). What did you expect? The darkest pagan forces to bask in light? Well, guess again, Sherlocks!
On a side note to this, the map seems real good fun in all DM based games (RM, PM included). Try it as well.

Now, without further ado, I give you the woo-woo:
[IMAGE]
The d/l (hosted on Leo's; thanks!):
http://www.soldat-lra.net/uploads/files/ctf_Charade_v100.zip

ENJOY!

Eagles_Arrows
January 26, 2006, 11:25 am
Why is the texture called "penis?"

Good work.

Hmm...your waypoints for Bravo won't work unless they spawn in mid-air. Mind if I waypoint this?

TeRRoRinFANt
January 26, 2006, 11:28 am
Sure, go at it. I'll very much appreciate it, thanks :D
The texture is called 'penis'... because somebody called it like that? I found the texture in my texture folder... I guess it was used on ctf_Nimble, which is also one of my favourite maps (too bad not on mapcycle on any servers I know).

Soulsnipa
January 26, 2006, 11:43 am
I love your maps. You obviously spend a lot of time and add detail to each and every one of them. Maybe a tad too dark but I like the graphics a lot.

Raptor
January 26, 2006, 2:06 pm
^It is pretty good. Not nothing new. Think of a different layout next time =)

DeMonIc
January 26, 2006, 2:14 pm
Wow, nice map. I really like how you sorta 'blended' the middle route, made the top route pretty risky and the lowest route with the deadly pit is fun too. Reverse ctf? I imagine the gameplay will be very interesting, finally an opportunity to gain full advantage of the flag throw :) I'll try and get a playtest-brigade together, to see if I'm right.

EDIT: Playtest was dang fun, the map has amazing gameplay. However, here are my concerns:

- The thing in the middle.. it kills you. In the most annoying moment. I realize it blocks spray, but it's annoying this way. Specially when you get the flag stuck in it.
- There are some polybugs, and the bridges are pretty bouncy if you fall on them from even a small height.
- The hiding places in the bases are unnecessary. The flagger will be circling around the flag throne, and not hiding in some hole. Ever.

TeRRoRinFANt
January 26, 2006, 2:18 pm
I would be most grateful to you and your Playtest Brigade :] Much tanks. ;)

Cookie.
January 26, 2006, 10:32 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Eagles_ArrowsWhy is the texture called "penis?"

Good work.

Hmm...your waypoints for Bravo won't work unless they spawn in mid-air. Mind if I waypoint this?

Its because the texture was made from a penis!!! Lol
I like this map alot :o
The shading is really good, it looks like you have put alot of effort into it. Good job..

TeRRoRinFANt
January 28, 2006, 6:13 pm
Okay, thanks very much, DeMonIc. Noted. I'll think about it a while and see what I can do about those points of note. One thing I can say now, with a rather high degree of certainty, is that the hole stays ;) Just as a small bonus - in fact, I wasn't intending this for the flagger (because it would be a jeopardy to hide in there, knowing that if the enemy finds you, you're a sitting duck). It was rather meant for those R/S matches...
Ah, one question - how did you find the top of the towers (both inside and the roof). Are they smooth enough, or do they pose too many problems while running on them? And the portal in the centre was meant to be deadly - but do you really think it should be turned into a non-deadly poly? Like ice? Or rather a hurting poly?

DeMonIc
January 28, 2006, 7:00 pm
The top route is rather fast, we were mostly flying high above the towers, so the tops didn't pose that much of a problem, but as mentioned, they were a bit bouncy sometimes. You could either make the portal to be in the background and fill it with colliders, or make it 'only-bullets-collide'. My main concern with it is the flag getting stuck in it, and it's pretty unseeable then, so you take a great risk in trying to return it.

Pulp
February 4, 2006, 11:52 pm
Texture is called penis cause Urhos named it like that. :)

Nice visuals, and actually plays nice too ( well, i just ran a bit in the map to test ). If the things Demonic summed up could be implemented, this would be a hell of a map !