( search forums )
Voting System?
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
Rambo_6
February 1, 2006, 5:27 am
I'm not too sure about how these forums are run - if it's possible to add custom mods and such.

But here's an idea...

The maps/mod forums would have a thread rating system allowing users to rate a thread from 1-5, 1 being bad.

In the maps forums, the quality maps area could be locked, and only maps with 2 or more pages and a rating of at least 3.5 or 4 would make it to the Quality maps area. I'm sure downvoters could become an issue, so you could just hand out hefty fines or bans for those who wish to abuse the system.

Again, this is just a speculation. I think it would work.

peemonkey
February 1, 2006, 7:12 am
You spend too much time in facepunch duder :P

Chakra`
February 1, 2006, 1:24 pm
You spend too much time STEALING MY IDEAS too. I've been working on trying to get this place have a voting-system for bloody weeks I tell ya ....'specifically' for organising the mapping forum.

I've got plans guv. Big plans. Oooh yeah.

...watch this space...

thekingkitty
February 1, 2006, 1:35 pm
But theres a flaw in that rating system, if you made a map and it aint new then it can't go into new maps it has to go into quality maps, but if the quality maps topic is locked..well..unless theres like a new topic called uh "regular maps" or something, you cant really post your creation you made a while ago..not that i make maps that are worth showing :(....

Chakra you scare me :0

Rambo_6
February 1, 2006, 1:52 pm
Actually, i didn't get the idea from facepunch. I had it long ago, and i decided to post it just yesterday :P

And Facepunch has the worst community ever. Including Garry.

DePhille
February 1, 2006, 5:51 pm
If there's a voting system it sure ain't difficult to write a custom add-in for the forums where the posts with more than X points and X votes get displayed in one category (I'm talking about PHP and MySQL here , don't know anything of MSDB and ASP).

PS: I just knew you had the idea from facepunch hehe , I was also thinking about this but indeed , chakra beat you to this ;)

Grtz , DePhille

N1nj@
February 2, 2006, 2:21 am
sorry to go offtopic, but what's up with that green box around the first post of every threads, its annoying me

Chakra`
February 2, 2006, 2:27 am
We're working on it alright?! .....watch.....this....space!

Rambo_6
February 2, 2006, 2:46 am
Well facepunch has a rating system, but it really has no use. The threads with a really good rating don't have any benefits, other than a smilieface that's dancing next to it.

Again, this voting system would give a thread greater power with the better the rating it has been given. A thread rated 4 or 5 could take twice as long to sink to the second page, for instance.

Keron Cyst
February 2, 2006, 6:56 pm
Why is the first post of every thread large in text?

*goes to look at waypointing guide oO'*

The new voting system's great, BTW.

Chakra`
February 2, 2006, 10:01 pm
Yeahhhhh ....sorry about that. It's part of the 'bugs' we mentioned.

Hey...at least the forums are still working. This was a nightmare to install. But yes, I think for IE users, the first page of text will have larger text. Which is unfortunate but we're gonna try and fix that very soon.

Keron Cyst
February 2, 2006, 11:53 pm

don't you dare say I use IE defaultly. I stay miles away from that piece of crap. I was on IE only because I was at skool at that time ;-P And yea, the text shows normally on Firefox.