( search forums )
MPK_KamikazeDuck's Maps
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
KamikazeDuck
February 1, 2006, 9:12 am
Okay here's my story, I never knew there was an online community for this game until a while ago and I have had this game for almost a year.
I used to play it on my laptop which had that "half graphics" problem, so I decided to make my own maps that didn't use large objects of which only half would be seen. I now have a new laptop which doesn't have the problem and I still like to make maps for a bit of fun.

These maps are some of my best maps I have made, most of the others are 5min jobs, just wondering what you think of them and what improvements I could make in future, I know I don't shade my maps (something I was not aware you could do until visiting this site) and I know there are a few bugs and stuff but I don't spend a lot of time on them, it's just for a bit of fun. So CONSTRUCTIVE critisism is welcome.

DM_SecretCaves
This is my latest map it is the JET version so you can use your jetpack (the original you couldn't), I used all 500 availible objects and it's pretty big so you'll want more than 10 people playing it. All the blue stuff is ice which you can slide down on and there are a few secret areas hence the name. Bots work on this map but they aren't the best, there are a few bugs here and there where you bounce a little but it's pretty fun to play. This is the JET version I also have one without jets and one with more secret areas, I feel this one is the best. If you want one of the other versions then respond to this post and tell me.
Picture:
[IMAGE]
Download SecretFallsJET:
[URL]

DM_MekongDelta
I think jungle maps are awsome, this is probably my best (I've made heaps). I've had to delete a few objects as this was one of the maps I made on my dodgy Laptop so some of the objects looked a bit strange when I veiwed them on my new one. Bots work, again they're not the best but they'll do. And no real glitches I am aware of.
Picture:
[IMAGE]
Download MekongDelta:
[URL]

CTF_Nomansland
Fun, fun, fun. There are no jetpacks so you will always come across the enemy on your way to the opposite flag, there are two ditches along the way but don't stay in there too long or you'll be grenaded.
A sentry gun is on either side for each team and it gets pretty crazy. Bots work well, but sometimes 2 or 3 will go on the gun out of 9 on the team, the rest go for the flag. No glitches or bugs.
Picture:
[IMAGE]
Download ctf_Nomansland:
[URL]

DM_BloodBath
As you can see by the picture, all it is, is a box. Very funny with a ton of bots, probably even better online, it's just insane, the second it starts, blood goes everywhere. Unlimited jets, the bots work fine (no need for waypoints on this map!), no glitches.
Picture:
[IMAGE]
Download BloodBath:
[URL]

Well they're my maps, they may not be pretty but I like them, you may not, but I hope they give someone enjoyment. If you edit them, mention my name. Remember CONSTRUCTIVE critisism if you have it as I would like to continue mapping for soldat and practise makes perfect.

P.S.
I know this is a massive post but I know myself that I like to know what I am downloading in detail in case it isn't the sort of thing I am looking for.

EDIT: Ok I don't think the pictures work, I have them uploaded on filelodge, any ideas?

Deleted User
February 1, 2006, 10:13 am
i like 2 map :)

Soulsnipa
February 1, 2006, 10:31 am
You seem like a very respectable member. Best of luck to you with mapping and all that. I'm sort of lazy right now but I guess as I type this I would feel bad if I didn't say something about your maps.

First, how did you use all 500 objects if you didn't know about this site? Original Mapmaker could only display 255 objects I thought. O well anyway...check out polyworks and other mapping stuff, you might be interested at http://sml.u13.net/tutorial

Map Criticism:

1) Not too bad, since you didn't know shading I cant say it looks bad. It can look much better however and a lot of parts aren't too smooth. The layout is kind of all over the place and Idono how much of an ease it is to navigate. I like the bunker down there though, havent seen a map like that I dont believe.

2) This map looks pretty good I would give it around 7.5/10. It looks very similar to michal's original maps. If it played well it might be a keeper. Still a little edgy however.

3 and 4) Too straight and nothing really to them. I guess they are all right but anyone could make them.

Deleted User
February 1, 2006, 10:41 am
1. i love it! its awesome
2. i would've liked more caverns, you got all that space, but thats just me
3. i agree with snipa, not too much to it, but it has potential if its worked with
4. love it! that would be an awesome DM to play
well my $0.02, no i am not a very good critiquer :/

viggoloniggolo
February 1, 2006, 11:57 am
Last too maps are plain and ugly for Critiques, the first 2 are better, the second one is good but it is too damn tight and the first one's water effects suck, otherwise fine.
The last map, square one really makes you look degraded, sry, but if you put that in your 1/4 you must be dying or have braincancer. MAKE MAPS WITH EFFORT, more than 3 days of planninf, drawing, constructing and tweaking, then wait and repair and playtest before releasing

rainrider
February 1, 2006, 12:31 pm
Water should be animated here... MM should add to soldat Anna's idea.. eh
4th map is tha best for me.

Raptor
February 1, 2006, 2:55 pm
Yea, I like the 2nd map better. The first one just looks... well, the colors of the polys don't fit each other. And the last 2 are pretty simple.
Make more!

Deleted User
February 1, 2006, 3:10 pm
I actally like it.The last one was best

The_Reaper90
February 1, 2006, 3:32 pm
can u add textures to polygons istead of just changing colors? if u can, how? i wanna make a desert map but colors never look like real sand!! And i loved the first two maps and the last one ROX!!! fun with loads of players ;)

Deleted User
February 1, 2006, 4:16 pm
the two first maps are awesome!
the second one looks official.

Deleted User
February 1, 2006, 9:24 pm
Are they supposed to impress somebody?

Raptor
February 1, 2006, 10:05 pm
^Why the question?

Deleted User
February 1, 2006, 10:06 pm
dono, check the inf_vig_upcut topic for some answers.
Didn't impress me btw
The last map is quite plain, the second one is too tighty, the first one is ugly at the waterfalls and the 3'd one is noice

Deleted User
February 2, 2006, 1:42 am
wow, this is a high quality pack, i have nothing bad to say about any of them, great work :D

KamikazeDuck
February 2, 2006, 8:12 am
Thankyou everyone for your feedback and tips on how to improve. To answer the question on how I used the 500 objects, I was just reading posts earlier and saw that a person had used "All 500 of their objects", I had reached my limit so I assumed that was how many I had used.

To answer Vandenhosen's question, no, they are not meant to impress anyone, I enjoy making and playing my own maps and if people enjoy playing them as well then I'm glad for them.

I agree that the last two are plain but I decided to post those because of their playability. I have decided to download polyworks and do a remake of ctf_Nomansland as me and my friends have had a lot of fun on that map. I feel that BloodBath does not need a remake as it was not made for looks but just for a bit of fun.

See you all soon with some new maps!

TaiQuin
February 4, 2006, 11:06 pm
the box one looks like a insane online play. i'm going to try it