( search forums )
Country Flags
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
echo
February 2, 2006, 11:38 pm
I know this have been sugested before but I can't make a Forum Search ( Time Expired error ). Anyway, I think this is a cool and simple improvement. Basicly there could be a server option on wich you could turn On/Off the Country Flags. Example:

http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=flags7pt.jpg

( I don't know where the |MG| guys are from so I gave them random flags - no offense ;] )

Once again, this is not my idea but I found it cool and decided to post again. This way we could quickly identify our country mates when we join a random server.

Deleted User
February 3, 2006, 11:06 am
I've heard this idea a long time ago and I think it's pretty cool.

Drink Bloody Water
February 3, 2006, 11:54 am
That's one of the most creative ideas ive ever heard. If you hear someone speaking a foreign language, you know where they're from :)

CrazyKid980
February 3, 2006, 12:13 pm
I like it, sounds cool. (GO USA!!!)

Raptor
February 3, 2006, 2:54 pm
This would look better in soldat! MM should add it!

Yuth
February 3, 2006, 3:35 pm
I can't see the image, but I guess it's cool.

Augustus
February 3, 2006, 4:17 pm
Would this be something the player sets for themselves, or something the server determines?

echo
February 3, 2006, 4:20 pm
There should be an Option on Player section on wich you pick your Country Flag. However, it should be an option that could be enabled/disabled by the server. It's just a cool simple improvement ;]

nfsjunkie91
February 5, 2006, 2:51 am
kind of like TM nations? sounds cool, i support.

Pulp
February 5, 2006, 3:01 am
... so half of the soldat community will think i'm a German. No, thanks !

CrazyEye
February 5, 2006, 4:46 am
And half the community will know im canadian, hurray!

bolhy
February 5, 2006, 5:52 am
OMg this is so awsome!!! Great idea... this in soldat would be rly rly cool.
And well in the forums.. visit serial killer's edgegaming soldat mods site.

Hoodlum
February 5, 2006, 7:55 am
I really like this idea and I think MM should follow through with it.

Echo_Trail
February 5, 2006, 11:38 am
This is really great!.. Take me, i'm danish. Not many danes play soldat, so it'd be real nice to know ehen a fellow viking came up. Woah, someone should make a poll on this :D

rabidhamster
February 5, 2006, 3:35 pm
i would love this. maybe someone should start making a bunch of correctly sized flags, to keep michal from doing too much work.

a-4-year-old
February 5, 2006, 5:08 pm
could this be modded? just make the red flag a country and a blue flag a country? OR someone could make a pack with a bunch o flags and you can see them, trouble is, nobody will see them sept you.

CrazyEye
February 5, 2006, 5:23 pm
i want a pirate flag :D

Deleted User
February 5, 2006, 9:36 pm
idono, the person with the french flag is gonna wonder why he gets kicked from every server

Echo_Trail
February 5, 2006, 10:07 pm
Oooh.. That's funny dascoo xP

Sry to spam, just had to tell.

Deadeye Rob
February 7, 2006, 7:20 pm
Sounds like a real good idea.

If this flag idea does wourk i would very much like to see it used as a clan tags. Im not sure how you would go about this however.

Maybe some sort of flag database? :p

Dark_Noddy
February 7, 2006, 7:50 pm
Well, U could have a option feature where U set your own custom flag / logo wich would be kinda cool, but that would requier the server / clients to share flags, thus beein a potent security risk, Built in flags choosen from a list could work, however IMO the best would be ip lookup and that way determinig the flag to use... Only problem is that it wouldnt allways get a nation or language if the person lives in another country...

Bottom line however is that this Idea is rather unneccesary (I know I cant spell for 5cent btw) and I'd rather see other things done then this :) (I like the Idea tho)

a-4-year-old
February 13, 2006, 8:43 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by CrazyEyei want a pirate flag :D

lol, and a union jack and every flag that the server can pick from

edak
February 13, 2006, 9:15 pm
This worked well in Worms Armageddon ETC. I think it would be a fantastic idea!
SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!
OZZY OZZY OZZY, OI OI OI!

Deleted User
February 13, 2006, 9:54 pm
yes yes
looks cool, i suport to!
look at the portugal flag lol

Deleted User
February 13, 2006, 10:01 pm
Lmfaoo

Deleted User
February 15, 2006, 6:35 am
Awesome idea. 100% support.
ROFL Slovakia :)))

dr.ON
February 15, 2006, 12:59 pm
GOOD IDEA!
and it would be nice to add country flags to servers in lobby.

Deleted User
February 15, 2006, 1:05 pm
Great idea is totally awesome!!

Deleted User
February 25, 2006, 11:41 pm
Nice idea!!! very nice echo!

Quote:Originally posted by nfsjunkie91kind of like TM nations? sounds cool, i support.
I love TM Nations =DD Very cooL!

Deleted User
February 26, 2006, 12:03 am
really nice idea.. and you should be able to make your own flag :D

a-4-year-old
February 26, 2006, 1:45 am
jolly roger FTW!!!!!11one

or you could pick it out of a list, or have the server choose.

when you pick out of the list only you could see it, and the server, is everyone sees it.

edak
February 26, 2006, 6:43 am
QUOTE: when you pick out of the list only you could see it, and the server, is everyone sees it. END QUOTE

4-year-old, what the???

ThaD
February 26, 2006, 10:04 am
 Quote:Originally posted by echo

( I don't know where the |MG| guys are from so I gave them random flags - no offense ;] )

they're from Poland

Deleted User
February 26, 2006, 12:41 pm
lol Clan flags that will be cool

nfsjunkie91
February 27, 2006, 10:17 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldcould this be modded? just make the red flag a country and a blue flag a country? OR someone could make a pack with a bunch o flags and you can see them, trouble is, nobody will see them sept you.

IDEA:A player could choose their country in their profile, abbreviated though (USA, GER, etc.) and then, when on a server, if playing a CTF mode, the country with the most players on that team would get that country as their flag, tinted the team color though, to prevent problems with "WHOSE FLAG ARE THAT!?" And maybe a small thumbnail of the country flag when you look at the player. Flags should not be very large though, and they should be saved in .png format, so maybe flags would be no larger than, say, 32x24 or something like that. And yes, like echo said, a turn on/off feature would be nice too, along with a "Ignore custom flags" option. I guess custom flags would be like avatars, hmmm.... ;D

Deleted User
February 28, 2006, 12:57 am
"KURWA!!!!!" "SHEKI!!!!" "CABRON PUTA MIA!!!!!!!!!!"

edit: Hence, this idea is pretty good. You can tell what language they're swearing in.

Deleted User
March 2, 2006, 4:23 am
This is kool. Just might spark a few flame wars on some servers. You know how kids get sometimes lol.

BlindConspirator
March 2, 2006, 5:05 am
Like DarkNoddy said, I don't see how this would really be necessary.

What would be much more useful instead of flags on players would be country flags on the server list so that you can choose a server close to you and get better ping than you would otherwise.

Drink Bloody Water
March 2, 2006, 12:18 pm
USA VS. CANADA VS. POLAND VS. RUSSIA IN A GLOBAL CW!!!!!! GO USA USA USA USA!!!!!!

Drink Bloody Water
March 2, 2006, 12:28 pm
Other Ideas 1> The person could have a shirt with their country flag on it 2> a person could design tshirts for their clan 3> A mode called Country Takeover where if you get killed by a person 3 times in a row from another country you have to wear their flag on your shirt until you counterkill them 3 times

LawSuit
March 9, 2006, 3:32 am
Nothing wrong with flags- good idea.
There can't be anything wrong with putting up a flag for others to see. I'd like big Smiley flag to wave, or maybe one with a Metroid in it. Either way, there MAY be a problem.
Will it be possible that the images of the flags can be edited? It can be a really hurtful thing if it can. (I once saw one weapon mod show the Barret as a d*ck. It's not a duck either). The worst thing you could possibly put up there is a Nazi flag. (My friends play this game, and they're all Jewish).
Please answer this question, because I may end up a real jerk of a friend.

Echo_Trail
March 9, 2006, 8:22 am
Okay soo we all agree this is a cool, god and even great idea. It's time to actually do something about it.

Any suggestions? I have a feeling that no moderators, nor the creator nor beta testers are even looking at this.

a-4-year-old
March 9, 2006, 7:38 pm
lol, echo trail is the main supporter of echo's suggestion.

i think it should be almost like a weapon mod, where the server picks 2 flags that represents 2 countrys, the option would be server side and every server would have choice in their own flags, (pirates vs ninjas) (USA vs Obesity)

OR

the flags could be map specific :O

WW2 MODS TO THE EXTREME!

zyxstand
March 9, 2006, 9:17 pm
my support

Hercule Poirot
March 10, 2006, 7:04 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Echo_TrailOkay soo we all agree this is a cool, god and even great idea. It's time to actually do something about it.

Any suggestions? I have a feeling that no moderators, nor the creator nor beta testers are even looking at this.

Well i'm looking it and i like this suggestion very much. I try to recommend it to Michal when the next beta testing starts if he have not discovered this thread yet.

(Don't get your hopes too high i have suggested adding talking bubble on your head when you are typing ingame about 2-3 times without any results)

HYPERFUNKBOT
March 12, 2006, 6:47 pm
I recommend a central database for flags, players choose flags. If offensive flag gets put up there, player gets banned from server, and other people report the offensive flag, and then the flag is removed.

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
March 16, 2006, 10:34 am
lol wouldnt this introduce rasicm??? just kdn.

ssams
March 22, 2006, 9:47 pm
that dumb because if you are playing a buch of gyes in germany wore ping is going to be crap
and u hardly see any one outside of US anyway there might be a cupple of brits but who gives a [CENSORED]

a-4-year-old
March 23, 2006, 8:30 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by ssamsthat dumb because if you are playing a buch of gyes in germany wore ping is going to be crap
and u hardly see any one outside of US anyway there might be a cupple of brits but who gives a [CENSORED]

are you stupid or something?

1. that was the least ledgible thing ever (including my posts)
2. it was inaccurate, what about all the polish players, just because you never see them doesnt mean they arent there.
3. some of us are actually interested in other cultures.
4.wtf is gyes? wtf is wore?

tRaQs
March 24, 2006, 9:48 pm
It could only do good, especially for people looking to clan recruit for good pings.