( search forums )
the two hour idea thread (22 ideas)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
rabidhamster
February 5, 2006, 4:14 pm
the two hour idea thread
in this thread, post any simple ideas that would take michal less than two hours to implement.

the goal of this thread is to get at least one of these features implemented into soldat 1.4. hopefully this thread will grab michal's attention, due to it's extensive length. okay, i admit, it only has one page right now, so if we want michal's attention, keep this thread alive!

if people like the idea, i will post it in this first post.

edit: because this thread has a lot of information on balance issues, i am going to completely ignore all balance requests from now on. the only reason i passed the minigun idea was because its recoil is waaay out of hand.

the list:

more freedom in maplist creation
submitted by rabidhamster
i would like it if maps could be moved around on the maplist, ex. dragging a map at the end of the list to the second on the list. i would also like a checkbox entitled show maps of all gametypes. this would make infiltration with ctf maps much easier (kampf is very fun this way).

reduce damage while rolling
submitted by Echo_Trail
damage influcted on the player is reduced to 67%. sorry, echo, but the other way would be waaay too unrealistic.

reduce recoil on realistic minigun
submitted by Echo_Trail
maybe 50% of current recoil? try firing it, it's impossible.

spinning nades (client-side)
submitted by numgun
i like this idea. the faster the nade goes, the faster it spins. whenever it comes in contact with a poly, it will stop spinning.

maybe: new .ini option: "auto="
another option for weapons.ini, if auto=1, the weap acts as an auto (ex. auto deagles would be nice :D), if auto=0, it's a semi (ex. semi m79 = happiness). the only problem with this is that it may take longer than 120 minutes to code. for compatibility with other .ini's from older versions, if a weapon mod does not contain these values, the default will be assumed. note that this is optional.

maybe: new .ini options
submitted by semagae and rabidhamster
this will definitely take more than two hours to code, but i'm going to include it in this thread anyway, because it's so good.

here's what the LAW specs will look like under the new .ini options, modded to have a 2x scope when crouched:[code]Damage=150000
FireInterval=30
Ammo=1
ReloadTime=540
Speed=230
BulletStyle=12
StartUpTime=21
ScopeCrouch=512
ScopeProne=256
ScopeReturnDuringInterval=1
FireWhenStanding=0
FireWhenCrouched=1
FireWhenProne=1
FireWhenMoving=1
Bink=0
MovementAcc=1
[/code]the default scope distance will be 256, being normal view. ScopeReturnDuringInterval is an option that i've always wanted. for the barret, if this value is set to zero, the scope will not return until the rifle must be reloaded.

for compatibility with other .ini's from older versions, if a weapon mod does not contain these values, the default will be assumed.

lava polies set player on fire
submitted by lithium (unknowingly)
maybe the fire do flamer bullet damage/2 for every tick it touches you?

caps and kills in seperate columns in the f1 player list
submitted by _Mancer_
instead of caps and kills counting toward a final score for each player, two colums exist, one for caps, and one for kills.

some indication that the player is typing
submitted by _Mancer_
a yellow arrow would suit this position fine, one that is the same image as the player indicator, except colorized.

when there is a teammate standing next to you, you will shoot, not beat him with your gun
submitted by defanatic

the player list indicates who's an admin
on the f1 player list menu, i would like to see an icon or something that indicates who has the godly power of admin.

when typing, esc button will exit your message, not bring up the little menu
submitted by getty
faster way to exit out of typing rather than baskspacing every letter.

server option for your bullets being colored like your shirt
submitted by HYPERFUNKBOT (cool name)
aside from being cool, this would make team bullets all the same color. i really love this idea, although it may mess up the network code for non-team gamemodes (another variable the bullet would have to keep track of, the player who shot it). edit: in light of recent events, the bullet color would be merged halfway with white.

server-side option: tapping jet while respawning from the air doesn't drop parachute
remember the pre-1.2.1 days of soldat where you could fly around with your parachute, so long as you didn't hit the ground? this allowed for some truly excellent inf maps (parachute down to the objective, bravo takes down paratroopers with stat guns, very fun), and i think that the "sticky parachute" should be brought back. once again, this is a server-side option, and upon joining the server, a message would be sent to you reading, "[SERVER MESSAGE] server uses pre-1.2.1 parachutes"

halve the time it takes to reload upon spawning
submitted by that cotton kid
for anyone using barret or m79, you are really screwed if someone is spawn camping with a ruger or something.

if friendly fire is on, killing a teammate detracts from their score
submitted by that cotton kid

allow weapons such as bow, spas, and LAW to fire bullets
this is a common bug that bothers me. weapons that don't have a bullet.bmp image cannot fire bullets when modded by the .ini files.

maybe: new .ini option: life
a new option in the .ini files that wouild be very nice. when playing, you'll notice that the stat gun bullets dissapear after about 80 ticks of leaving the barrel. grenades last about 90 ticks, and bullets last about 120 ticks. i would like this to be moddable. under every weapon in the .ini file, there would be a life=120 or whatever.

allow bots to throw knifes
submitted by beastickicklickly
When bots get close enough to you, they will attempt to throw their knife at you. Maybe when they get a quarter screen away?

a vote map command
submitted by Ryl
being forced to scroll through countless maps (some people have hundreds) to find one map is outrageous. an appropriate command syntax would be /votemap map name.

useless commands:
now locked because i like impersonating a moderator

/suicide
this makes the player explode 150 ticks after the command is entered, as long as they stay still. a pretty pointless command, but a fun one none the less.

/victory2
submitted by CrazyKid980
aim gun straight into the air and fire a couple shots, with the standard /victory sound.

/hooah
submitted by Zegovia
the player shouts a good ol' hooah! while dooing an arm pump.

/maniac
submitted by Zegovia
player puts both hands on the head and screams like crazy. you can run while doing this...

/manical
submitted by Zegovia
[size=2]The player laughs like crazy. in a kinda creepy way.

good ideas, but more complex coding-wise:

country flags: since this involves netcode, i think this idea should stay clear of this thread. it's a great idea though.
.png graphics on everything: this would take forever to code, although i love the idea.
scenery polygons: "easier 3D effects in soldat maps and big sceneries can be replaced with these scenery-polys." are you out of your mind?! two hour thread, TWO HOURS! a very popular and great idea though.

CrazyKid980
February 5, 2006, 9:24 pm
/victory2
put your gun straghit up in the air and shoot a couple of times with that cry. Try pulling a kill on that.XD

Echo_Trail
February 5, 2006, 10:20 pm
-Prevent bullet damge when rolling.
-That Flag idea. The flag of your nation in front of your name ingame. I suppose it would take less than two hours if somebody allready made the flags.
-Reduce bink(bink's what happens when you shoot and the gun "jumps", right) on minigun in realistic.

numgun
February 6, 2006, 10:25 am
grenades have a spinning animation. for sake of modding

Frag nades --> Stickgrenades

Raptor
February 6, 2006, 10:19 pm
I agree with the spinning grenades. Look more realistic and we would finally make the potato masher =D

person
February 6, 2006, 11:43 pm
Implement .png graphics for the actual soldiers, weapons and effects?

I would have no idea of how long that would take.

FliesLikeABrick
February 7, 2006, 12:13 am
any objections or disagrements on moving this to the Soldat Improvements Discussion forum?

rabidhamster
February 7, 2006, 1:51 am
not at all flies. feel free to.

dragontamer
February 7, 2006, 2:43 am
Oh darn. I should have read this thread sooner.

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=31629

_Mancer_
February 7, 2006, 2:56 am
1. Caps and kills should be seperated in score on the score menu at the end and during the game. Mini flags of the enemies color would appear next to your name if you got a cap. It would not be added to your score.

2. Slow down the rate-of-fire of grenades. They throw too fast, they should be slowed down about 2 seconds, so you can throw 1 grenade every 2 seconds. Prevents nadespamming.

3. Law needs a little bit of bink. The delay time on the law also needs to be halved.

4. A yellow arrow or "T" above a players head when he/she is typing. Indicates that a player is typing. Same goes for if a player is disconnecting.. if possible at all, would show a red dot above him/her.

numgun
February 7, 2006, 1:48 pm
1.fast knife take out (faster weapon change when changing to knife.)

2.scenery polygons (make polygons that act like scenery, go behind player.
Easier 3D effects in soldat maps and big sceneries can be replaced with these scenery-polys.)

3.drop down box for the soldat .IT music modules. (possibility to put more than just replace old ones.)

lithium
February 7, 2006, 1:57 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by numgun1.fast knife take out (faster weapon change when changing to knife.)

I assume you mean that once you switch weapons the knife will whip out immediately, so you don't end up throwing your gun. If so I like this one a lot.

dragontamer
February 7, 2006, 8:56 pm
Even better:

Throw secondary weapon button (g seems good default)
f == throw primary
g == throw secondary.

numgun
February 7, 2006, 10:39 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by lithium Quote:Originally posted by numgun1.fast knife take out (faster weapon change when changing to knife.)

I assume you mean that once you switch weapons the knife will whip out immediately, so you don't end up throwing your gun. If so I like this one a lot.

exactly, thats what happens all the time, and i mean ALL THE TIME.
just that it takes out the knife extremely fast and if possible u cant cancel the action if u shoot ur gun.

bond_james_bond
February 7, 2006, 11:57 pm
Wow, many good ideas in this thread.

What I especially like is the Faster Knife Change idea and the lava polys setting you on fire

a-4-year-old
February 8, 2006, 8:39 pm
country filter: only show servers in <insertcountryhere> so you dont get servers from friggin antartica or [CENSORED]ing MARS *mumbles laggy [CENSORED]ty servers hits not detecting nades dont work mumble*

Grit
February 9, 2006, 4:26 pm
fix that damn lobby filter for passworded servers. they just keep coming in the list but i really set the filter right. although its more a bugfix than a feature :( sorry

Deleted User
February 9, 2006, 6:17 pm
no @ auto ini thing..

deagles aren't supposed to be auto, I would agree for this on an already-automatic weapon I.E Steyr or minime

Grit I think it is when someone set's a password using admin....

I think it doesn't send to the lobby that is passworded..

peemonkey
February 9, 2006, 6:31 pm
Zamorak, it's for modding. In case someone say, wants 2 micro-uzi's, they'd be able to.

I'd like to see better bot A.I., and more ruthlessness in the bots.

Zegovia
February 10, 2006, 12:12 pm
/Hooah

The player shouts a good ol' "HOOOAH!!" while dooing a arm pump.

/panic

Player puts both hands on the head and screams like crazy. you can run while doing this...

/manical

*manical laughter*

however im not that damn sure that adding one new taunt would take 2 hours.... :/

a-4-year-old
February 10, 2006, 8:27 pm
maniacle? is that how you spell it?

no, but 2 hrs is the max.

the auto thing would allow cooler mods

and in the first thing zegovia, you mean like peemonkey's sig?

dragontamer
February 11, 2006, 7:20 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Zamorakno @ auto ini thing..

deagles aren't supposed to be auto, I would agree for this on an already-automatic weapon I.E Steyr or minime

Grit I think it is when someone set's a password using admin....

I think it doesn't send to the lobby that is passworded..

M79 and Law aren't supposed to be auto.

CrazyEye
February 11, 2006, 7:41 am
They wouldnt become auto, unless the server wanted them too. Its for the purpose of modding.

a-4-year-old
February 11, 2006, 6:16 pm
lol see the topic post ppl!

/urah! i cant spell it but its when the marines shout UURAAH!

/novicane sticks himself with needle and soft music plays for a second (would cancel out any other music nearby)

make the animation better and longer of the guy hitting the other guy with his gun, give im a REAl hit.
bigger guns would have more effect on the damage so soccom slapping the minimi would not work too well.

mike323
February 11, 2006, 6:25 pm
A new game type called zombiematch which would simply add a number of zombies at the user's choice. It would also keep all soldats which aren't zombies on the same team.
So just a teammatch with bots basically.

Deleted User
February 11, 2006, 7:25 pm
maybe: new .ini option: "auto="
another option for weapons.ini, if auto=1, the weap acts as an auto (ex. auto deagles would be nice :D), if auto=0, it's a semi (ex. semi m79 = happiness). the only problem with this is that it may take longer than 120 minutes to code. note that this is optional.

my vote^
and maybe add a (you have to crouch to use it ini thing) or an (zoomrange:blah% or zoom:1(yes) zoom:0 (no)

mike323
February 11, 2006, 8:11 pm
Oh and when you die and your respawn is more than a second, then display the scoreboard.

numgun
February 11, 2006, 9:05 pm
it isnt that hard to press f1 u know -__-''

rabidhamster
February 11, 2006, 10:00 pm
thanks semagae, i almost forgot about the other .ini ideas.

mike323
February 12, 2006, 12:24 am
ah, got another one. A filter for NOT realistic/survival.

Maka
February 13, 2006, 9:13 pm
Ooh. I like this thread.

How bout this... a server option where pressing jets doesn't make your parachute fall off? In the short time I had with 1.2, I always loved this.

Zegovia
February 14, 2006, 10:11 am
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldmaniacle? is that how you spell it?

no, but 2 hrs is the max.

the auto thing would allow cooler mods

and in the first thing zegovia, you mean like peemonkey's sig?

Thats and Ass-smack, but thatll work also... :P

What i meant by an arm pump whas that you raise your fist up above your head and then bring it down, as if you where trying to elbow someone in the head.... (did i get that right?)

GAMEOVER
February 15, 2006, 5:14 am
an additional 2 frames for spawn spark

no med kit option, full health after each kill option both these would work greatly in DM mode.

a-4-year-old
February 15, 2006, 8:26 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Zegovia
Thats and Ass-smack, but thatll work also... :P

What i meant by an arm pump whas that you raise your fist up above your head and then bring it down, as if you where trying to elbow someone in the head.... (did i get that right?)

oh ok,

/fart FTW!!!!!

numgun
February 16, 2006, 8:39 am
/uppercut

when near, smashes the opponents head sky-high. =D

Oeloe
February 19, 2006, 12:29 am
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldmaniacle? is that how you spell it?The proper spelling is "maniacal". ;)
/maniac would be easier to remember though.

I think "HOOYAH!!" is something that American marines shout, but in other languages it will be something different so perhaps not so recognizable for everyone.

Quote:Originally posted by _Mancer_2. Slow down the rate-of-fire of grenades. They throw too fast, they should be slowed down about 2 seconds, so you can throw 1 grenade every 2 seconds. Prevents nadespamming.

3. Law needs a little bit of bink. The delay time on the law also needs to be halved.

4. A yellow arrow or "T" above a players head when he/she is typing. Indicates that a player is typing. Same goes for if a player is disconnecting.. if possible at all, would show a red dot above him/her.I agree with all of this. How quickly could a person pull the pin of one nade after another? A slight delay might reduce the carpet bombing a bit.

A chat indicator would be nice, although chatting during is always at your own risk.

It would be nice to be able to actually see (in 1.4) which keys you have assigned for movement/weapons etc. in the Soldat menu. For those who don't play Soldat every day it's just convenient to be able to see what the keys were that they used the last time they played the game.

a-4-year-old
February 22, 2006, 8:42 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Oeloe Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldmaniacle? is that how you spell it?The proper spelling is "maniacal". ;)
/maniac would be easier to remember though.

I think "HOOYAH!!" is something that American marines shout, but in other languages it will be something different so perhaps not so recognizable for everyone.

uh, no they dont say hooyah. what they say is kind of like oorah.

Dark_Noddy
February 22, 2006, 9:02 pm
The /panic is pure geniouse, the /maniac aint that bad ^^ For the victory2 I like it...

Reduced dmg while rolling Dunno :X

Upgrading the Customizability of weapons is always nice ;D

Lava fire, yes please !

splitting f1 caps / kills, YES PLEASE !

Typing Icon would be nice but what the hell, its not like anyone cares if U're eating or typing so >_>

mike323
February 23, 2006, 3:59 am
Disable the letter "T" for one second after it is pressed to chat. I can't tell enough times I've said things like "treturn the flag!" and "tcap"

person
February 23, 2006, 4:39 am
When your momentum is focused downwards, but die when touching a vertical poly in realistic (and vice versa) :|

Getty
March 1, 2006, 3:12 am
-When you are typing, esc button will exit your message, not bring up the little menu. Faster way to exit out of typing rather than baskspacing every letter.

-I'm not sure how or what, but some way to eliminate some jackass just sitting at the other spawn killing everyone that spawns.

-I love the idea for seperate scores for caps and kills. and the lova. haha.

defanatic
March 1, 2006, 9:18 am
Other weapon.ini stuff?
accuracy=? (How much the weapon spreads if you're just standing)
recoil=? (How much you get pushed back when you shoot, minigun style)
reloadtype=? (So... Shot by shot, or a clip at a time?)

mod.ini file?
Edits things like gravity, jetpack power, damage multipliers, air drag, jump power, running speed, person drag (when a round goes through a soldat)... Yeah.

Change it so when there is a team mate standing next to you, you will shoot, not beat him with your gun.

Probably more than two hours, but...

rabidhamster
March 1, 2006, 11:09 am
thanks anyway defanatic, i'll put the last one on the list. the rest i might.

edit: updated the first post.

HYPERFUNKBOT
March 12, 2006, 7:07 pm
a 3rd friendly fire setting (set on server): bullets go through friendly soldats, and also a checkbox for momentum transfer from friendly attacks.
server option for your bullets being colored like your shirt, so that team bullets are all same color
make the rolling useful for something, either make bullets do less damage while you're rolling, or make it give you a speed boost, or something
yes, chat indicator please, and perhaps don't give points to the player if you frag them while the other player is typing
don't show what someone is saying above his head if you can't see him in realistic mode
make crouching useful for something
"awards" for certain kills, sort of like the double kill and what not, but things for doing things like killing someone with the chainsaw, or up close with the knife (not by throwing it though, that's easier).
count it if you knock a player into lava or deadly polys or knock him to his death with a grenade in realistic, and similarly prevent teamkilling like that, if friendly fire is off.

rabidhamster
March 12, 2006, 9:17 pm
first post updated yet again.

HYPERFUNKBOT
March 12, 2006, 10:57 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by rabidhamster[center]
server option for your bullets being colored like your shirt
submitted by HYPERFUNKBOT (cool name)
aside from being cool, this would make team bullets all the same color. i really love this idea, although it may mess up the network code for non-team gamemodes (another variable the bullet would have to keep track of, the player who shot it).

It's already kept track of, you need it to figure out who just killed someone and give the person a point.

ONX
March 14, 2006, 7:48 pm
its a bit of an old thread, but i have an idea.
a command that would do a quickdraw with your gun, and accidentally shoot u in the foot (or head)
and i noticed that whenu kill urself with a rifle, it looks a lot like a description of kurt cobains suicide. creepy.

Deleted User
March 14, 2006, 9:19 pm
i don't understand how that would have any relevanse to the game.

Ethanol
March 26, 2006, 2:21 pm
*Display kill/death ratio on F1 player list.
*An option for the server to sort on kill/death ratio or just kills (only in death match)

Deleted User
March 26, 2006, 2:37 pm
/mercy2. The soldier eat granade and explode :D

rabidhamster
April 8, 2006, 7:35 pm
server-side option: tapping jet while respawning from the air doesn't drop parachute
remember the pre-1.2.1 days of soldat where you could fly around with your parachute, so long as you didn't hit the ground? this allowed for some truly excellent inf maps (parachute down to the objective, bravo takes down paratroopers with stat guns, very fun), and i think that the "sticky parachute" should be brought back. once again, this is a server-side option, and upon joining the server, a message would be sent to you reading, "[SERVER MESSAGE] server uses pre-1.2.1 parachutes"

100 percent Cotton
April 9, 2006, 1:18 pm
The idea with different columns for caps + kills is great, and so is the indicator of someone talking. But I don't think you should take off the kill if they are typing, otherwise people who are about to die can just press T.

No need for an escape button, if you right or left click, it immediately takes you out of typing mode. As long as you aren't using barret or m79 left click is fine...Not quite sure if right clicking works.

Different coloured bullets'd just get annoying, the normal thing to do is to try and dodge every bullet...

perhaps an optional setting that allows you to halve the time it takes to reload upon spawning, because for anyone using barret or m79, you are really screwed if someone is spawn camping with a ruger or something.

Or an option to make it so that if friendly fire is on, killing a teammate detracts from their score.
I don't play FF much, so if it happens that that is already a function...then ignore me :P

rabidhamster
April 13, 2006, 7:03 pm
allow weapons such as bow, spas, and LAW to fire bullets
this is a common bug that bothers me. weapons that don't have a bullet.bmp image cannot fire bullets when modded by the .ini files.

maybe: new .ini option: life
a new option in the .ini files that wouild be very nice. when playing, you'll notice that the stat gun bullets dissapear after about 80 ticks of leaving the barrel. grenades last about 90 ticks, and bullets last about 120 ticks. i would like this to be moddable. under every weapon in the .ini file, there would be a life=120 or whatever.

shoover
April 14, 2006, 3:46 am
Make Binoculars

Even though i hate this idea, it will still probably happen.

Make Resolution Options

Not Full screen or regular, like custom sizes (might actually take 3 hours but for mike, maybe 2)

Beasticly
April 14, 2006, 6:56 am
Make bots able to throw knifes. :)

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 3:38 am
self destruct weapon. Could be a secondary.
Click shoot button and in 3 seconds u will expload. Now that would add some real excitement to the game!

Oh and how about: nades that stick to you.

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 8:36 pm
A vote map command. Being forced to scroll through countless maps (some people have hundreds) to find one map is outrageous.

/votemap ctf_Kampf <<-- way better

Deleted User
April 21, 2006, 12:21 am
1)be able to change which guns show up in what order for advance mode

2)i dunno how long this will take but.... for weapons.ini:
bullet ricochets:(x amount of times bullet bounces of wall. 0 would be dissapearing in ground)

3)get rid of scope zoom after you shoot when you stand up from crouch or prone